Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   How do I know I'm losing fat?? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/798824-how-do-i-know-im-losing-fat.html)

Mel K 03-06-2013 06:41 AM

How do I know I'm losing fat??

I've been eating low carb for 6 weeks now. I haven't been perfect at all, but over the course of 6 weeks I have lost 15 lbs. over the past two days I have lost 2 lbs! I know that our weight fluctuates quite a bit over time and I probably didn't really lose 2 lbs in 2 days. But this got me thinking...how do I know I'm losing fat and not muscle? I know I've lost something because I've gone down a size in pants. But I don't have much muscle to begin with and I would hate to think that I'm losing what little I have! Thoughts?

clackley 03-06-2013 06:54 AM

Hi Mel! The best way to prevent muscle loss is to eat sufficient protein. You most likely are already because of the nature of your diet. A lot of low calorie/low fat diets are low in protein and that is why they lose muscle.

SweetMe678 03-06-2013 06:58 AM

:goodpost:

Yep it's hard to loose protein of your consuming enough. On Atkins your body is burning fat for fuel, so you shouldn't be breaking down your lean muscle mass for energy.

Mistizoom 03-06-2013 07:01 AM

I agree, if you are in ketosis, eating sufficient (not too much, not too little) protein for your lean body mass, eating low carb, and not eating excess calories your body is using its own fat to make up the calorie deficit. So part of your daily "calories" is actually coming from your own body fat! Some exercise (especially resistance-type exercise such a strength training/weight lifting) will help ensure your muscles stay in good condition. I need to do some of that myself! :)

Mel K 03-06-2013 10:55 AM

Thanks so much! I guess I don't know for sure if I'm in ketosis. I don't particularly want to spend the money on the sticks to test. How else would I know?

And yes, I agree that I need to add in exercise. I keep saying I'm going to start...but it just doesn't happen. :(

wastednuffime 03-06-2013 11:30 AM

Don't meant to thread-jack, but... Yanno what,...

The whole entire time that I was in the losing phase of my weight loss, not once was I ever in ketosis. Nope, even thought it was the sticks, so went and brought some more / different brand and still nothing...And I know others here for whom the same is true too..:dunno:

Anyway, that aside,...I say, eat moderately and definitely exercise, especially weight bearing routines..:)

Ntombi 03-06-2013 11:54 AM

You know people in ketosis don't always excrete ketones in their urine, some people never do, so if that was your only measurement tool, you can't say you were never in ketosis.

wastednuffime 03-06-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16299443)
You know people in ketosis don't always excrete ketones in their urine, some people never do, so if that was your only measurement tool, you can't say you were never in ketosis.

Stand corrected!!...:shake:

Lets just say that my sticks never turned colors...

Thankfully I was not using that as my only measurement, or I might have given up long ago..