LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Weight gain from maltitol?

I use stevia and/or saccharin without any problems. But recently I found some sugar-free candy sweetened with maltitol on sale, and bought more than I should have. I know maltitol affects my digestion badly, so I only ate a small amount of the candy, but I did so every day for a couple of weeks. A few days into it, I gained two pounds. At first I thought nothing of it, because that's well within normal fluctuations. But it stayed that high consistently until a few days after all of the candy was gone, and then dropped back down to what I weighed before.

Now two pounds isn't a big deal (I'm much more concerned about what that may have implied health-wise than the number on the scale) , and maybe the whole thing was just a coincidence. But even so, I don't think I'll be eating maltitol anymore! I was just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Greta
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 10:50 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
1. the calories in maltitol and the rest of that candy are just as high as regular sugared candy. and if the maltitol stimulates insulin just as much as sugar, as it does for some, you would have plenty of circulating insulin to store those extra calories as fat.

2. for people like me who react to maltitol just like regular sugar, it would cause glycogen storage and water weight gain if the total carbs got high enough. that would come off again with several days very low carbing, theoretically.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I don't think I gain necessarily on malitol but I think it is about the worst sugar alcohol out there. I avoid it as much as possible.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
1. the calories in maltitol and the rest of that candy are just as high as regular sugared candy. and if the maltitol stimulates insulin just as much as sugar, as it does for some, you would have plenty of circulating insulin to store those extra calories as fat.

2. for people like me who react to maltitol just like regular sugar, it would cause glycogen storage and water weight gain if the total carbs got high enough. that would come off again with several days very low carbing, theoretically.
Thank you for the explanation! I didn't think I was eating enough of them to have these kinds of effects, but maybe it doesn't take much. I usually have a little dark chocolate as a treat, without any problems, but substituted these for a couple of weeks. They probably did have more total calories, though, huh? I don't know, didn't even check.

I had wondered if it was an inflammation thing. Or if it was affecting my intestinal flora. I didn't know that it could create an insulin response.
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote