Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 04:09 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Pain, depression, sleep loss, and weight-loss

My knee is hurting. It's swollen, which means the scale is meaningless. And... it hurts. Nothing like chronic pain to feed depression. Also, nothing like pain to help keep you awake at night.

Yesterday, I found myself stuffing my face. Eating much more than I should have, much more often than I should have...

LC-safe foods, but probably much too much of them.

I'm hurting too much to make fat-bombs (or even coffee, to be honest).

I hate this.

Off to the gym, today, to take some heat-therapy (and get a shower -- I feel safer showering at the gym, when it's like this, than climbing into my tub at home). Hopefully that helps, some.

It's become so rare for my knee to flare, but it's amazing what it does to me when it happens. Maybe because my "baseline" is so much higher than it was two years ago.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2012
I totally understand where you are coming from LG. I have chronic widespread pain and sometimes I just want to give up, but I don't. If I deviate from my exercise or eating plan the pain gets MUCH worse. If I take my meds and do everything I'm supposed to, I can live with it.
I'm sure that the swelling will pass with a little time. Hang in there!! I have to take a prescription NSAID, which I hate, but maybe that would help you in the short term?
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Very sorry you're hurting. Is there any pain medication that will take the edge off? I hope you heal quickly.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Sorry you have been in pain, Literate Griffin. Try to get extra sleep/rest, drink extra water, and eat extra-healthy food (such as greens and liver, if you like them). I have a health issue (chronic UTI) that flares up with symptoms occasionally, and those actions seem to limit the flare-ups, in my case anyway.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Feel better soon.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:27 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
I totally understand the impulse to eat more food when you're feeling vulnerable. Honestly, it may not even impact your weight loss goals because you have put some controls in place by limiting your carb intake. But when it comes to emotional eating behavior, I think the issue of weight loss or weight gain is less significant than the long-term emotional cost.

For the long-run, maybe this is an opportunity to find new ways -- more emotionally satisfying ways -- to take care of yourself and find comfort from sources that are completely unrelated to food. My question is: What do you REALLY want? If you're not actually hungry, then you probably don't *really* want food. If food isn't the solution to your emotional desires, then what is the answer? If you can find this answer and address your emotional needs directly, you may end the day much happier and more satisfied than food could make you.

Just a thought! Hang in there!
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:13 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
I totally understand the impulse to eat more food when you're feeling vulnerable. Honestly, it may not even impact your weight loss goals because you have put some controls in place by limiting your carb intake. But when it comes to emotional eating behavior, I think the issue of weight loss or weight gain is less significant than the long-term emotional cost.

For the long-run, maybe this is an opportunity to find new ways -- more emotionally satisfying ways -- to take care of yourself and find comfort from sources that are completely unrelated to food. My question is: What do you REALLY want? If you're not actually hungry, then you probably don't *really* want food. If food isn't the solution to your emotional desires, then what is the answer? If you can find this answer and address your emotional needs directly, you may end the day much happier and more satisfied than food could make you.

Just a thought! Hang in there!
Asking ourselves what we "really" want and trying to fix that (instead of automatically reaching for food) is a great way of putting things, Trillex. A good post for all of us, not just as an answer to the OP.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:57 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I'm sorry, LG. I'm feeling pretty down about some physical stuff right now, but in my case I am holdi g onto my woe like a life raft bc it feels like the only thing I've got going for me. I hope your knee comes around pretty quick and I have no doubt that you will be eating well by the time it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Sorry you have been in pain, Literate Griffin. Try to get extra sleep/rest, drink extra water, and eat extra-healthy food (such as greens and liver, if you like them). I have a health issue (chronic UTI) that flares up with symptoms occasionally, and those actions seem to limit the flare-ups, in my case anyway.
Have you ever tried baking soda for uti's? It's the most amazing thing ever! I don't need antibiotics anymore if I get them and at times I think I might have one in my near future, I have some baking soda and I'm pretty sure it has kept me from getting them. Thus has really changed my life for he better.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sfmom
Stats: 176/112.0/135 5'8" tall
WOE: Low carb
LiterateGriffin - I don't have anything to add - I just wanted to give you a big and I hope you feel better soon!

Audrey
sfmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Have you ever tried baking soda for uti's? It's the most amazing thing ever! I don't need antibiotics anymore if I get them and at times I think I might have one in my near future, I have some baking soda and I'm pretty sure it has kept me from getting them. Thus has really changed my life for he better.
Thank you for the suggestion, rubidoux. Do you just drink water with some baking soda added to it? I know that is supposed to make body chemistry more alkaline and less acidic; I'm supposed to try to get my cat, who has kidney disease, to drink water with added baking soda for that reason. I try to drink lots of water and cranberry juice when I'm symptomatic, but it would be helpful to have something so easy to use regularly. I'll give it a try.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
If I have engaged in behavior that could lead to a UTI, I will drink 1/2 t in a few ounces of water as soon as possible. If I am feeling symptoms of a UTI, I mix 1teaspoon into a few ounces of water and drink once an hour for three doses and then wait and see what happens. I haven't needed anything after that. It takes the edge off the symptoms in 15 min or so and within about an hour I don't have any UTI sensation at all.

It is possible to kind of OD on baking soda, so I always keep track of how much I've had and make sure never to have more than 2T in a day. But I've never come close to that.

Lmk if it works for you! I hate taking antibiotics, so I was so thrilled to find this.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks for supplying more detail, Jayne. I will definitely be trying this.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
Start Date: July 2012
Take care LG

Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: FitnessWanabee
Stats: unfit/getting there/stud
WOE: Moderate everything
Start Date: Restart August 2012
My advice is find a distraction! Read a book, watch a movie, play a game on the computer!
FitnessWanabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

I DO have a prescription anti-inflammatory that MAYBE helps a little bit? And some prescription pain-killers that are wonderful, but I can't take them till my husband is home from work. (We have 1 car, so I have to be able to drive.)

Thankfully, we now drive a Prius, instead of the 20 year old F-350 we drove in California. The clutch on that puppy used to KILL me when my knee was flaring.

I'm recognizing that I'm riding that edge of pain-induced despair, right now. The binge-eating yesterday... Well, it wasn't even EASY. The one saving grace is that it wasn't chips or doughnuts or some crap like that... but it was still BAD.

It's so hard to care, when I'm hurting.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
hope you feel better soon .......
shelby'snana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
((((Hugs)))))
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:02 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
Sorry you're having so much pain. I know how that feels.

Have you read Wheat Bellies? The symptoms you're talking about are symptoms Dr. Davis describes in his book. All through his book. Maybe it's gluten intolerance or an allergy to wheat.
terez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:07 PM   #19
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Is there anything that can be done for your knee surgically? And I totally get the no-sleep=binging thing. I work 2-20 hour shifts per week and if it is an all-nighter, I most definitely have a higher carb day the next day. When you are sleep deprived, you seem to crave carbs. It seems like your body is asking for a carb induced coma to combat the lack of sleep.
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/192.1/160
WOE: Keto
Start Date: 2 January 2014
How are you feeling today, LG? Sending hugs!

Hope your sleep was better...
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

I don't see how my knee inflammation could be caused by wheat, as I haven't had anything containing wheat in a long time.

I'm thinking hard, trying to come up with the last time I was exposed to wheat/gluten... I had a beer, back around Valentine's Day. That DIDN'T cause my knee to flare up just as the weather changed several weeks later.

Basically, I might be more inclined to believe my knee issues were wheat/gluten related if there were ANY correlation whatsoever between the two (gluten ingestion/knee pain), which there isn't, or if I actually CONSUMED either one (wheat/gluten) on a regular basis.

It does seem to be improving, finally. I had a 20-minute soak in the hot tub yesterday, which seemed to help. I'll try to get another soak in later today. With any luck, that'll be enough to get the cold out of it, and I can start moving forward again.

I DON'T seem to have gotten off scot-free from my binge -- I appear to be "up" this morning, though I don't really trust my scale right now. (As mentioned, swollen joints = bad scale-readings.)

At least I should be able to start making breakfast again, soon, which should help. (If I eat a nice, high-fat breakfast, everything else goes well. When I start cutting corners there, things go poorly.)

Here's hoping the second dose of hot-tub and the improved weather conditions help!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

How about having a soak in the tub with Epsom Salts? I have a bad knee and that usually gives me some relief... Also, Ibuprofen... It reduces inflammation.

I get knee issues when I make wrong movements, or I haven't walked/exercised enough. Since I have a wheat allergy diagnose, I've not noticed any improvement when not eating wheat. For me, one thing has nothing to do with the other. (It's a tendon/muscle injury)

Well, I hope your day will be good, and you feel better, sending more hugs!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
Since I have a wheat allergy diagnose, I've not noticed any improvement when not eating wheat. For me, one thing has nothing to do with the other. (It's a tendon/muscle injury)
Exactly.

My knee issue is complicated, but involves physical damage to the joint.

Ibuprofen doesn't help... I've got a prescription that helps a little (not much), but I'm almost out. (Should have insurance in another week, to get more.)

Wondering if -- when the insurance kicks in -- I can get them to consider partial knee resurfacing, which my PT once recommended to me....

I DID sleep last night -- was on lots of painkillers, which I'm sure helped.

Thing is, I'm afraid to take a bath at home when it's this bad. Climbing in and out is... scary. The hot tub at the gym has railings, and I can go down the stairs... it's a lot less frightening. (So are their handicapped showers, even if the water-pressure isn't great.)

Someday, we'll OWN our home, and then I'll be able to make whatever bathroom adjustments I need! ~looks forward to that day~
Old 03-07-2013, 07:32 AM   #24
Blabbermouth!!!

Well, sending lots of healing thoughts, it must be frustrating to deal with the knee issue, especially if you can't bathe at home... (maybe sneak in a tub of Epsom salts to the gym hot tub? LOL!)
Old 03-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 265/229/150
WOE: NK
Start Date: January, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliekaboolie View Post
((((Hugs)))))
Julie,
Love your goal. I put it on the front of my new weight loss book of information. I did add "Never give up, never surrender" Ha.

It now reads "My goal has changed from mere weight loss to Health, Quality of life and Longevity. This is no longer a diet but a it's a way of life. Never give up, never surrender"

Last edited by Lindy in Louisiana; 03-08-2013 at 09:34 PM..
Lindy in Louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote