Old 03-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: kittycitygirl
Stats: High:215; current 168
WOE: Low Carb: my way;)
Start Date: April 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Peanuts are not nuts, they're legumes, so they're in a different family from tree nuts. If she likes other nuts, I'm sure she'll be able to take them to school. There's also almond butter instead of peanut butter.

You've posted before about the fact that people in your life think you have an eating disorder. Now that belief is getting passed on to your daughter? I would not be happy, and would think seriously about having a sit-down come to Jesus talk with the important people in your life. Your husband may not "believe" in LC, but that doesn't make it invalid. And anyone who thinks regular access to sweets and chocolates for a three year old, no matter the rest of the diet, needs a wake up call regardless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic_Mama View Post
Easy trick - my kids will eat almost ANYTHING out of a fun container, cut up into pieces. You'd think carrot circles, sugar snap peas, and a handful of walnuts were prepackaged trail mix to watch my kids scarf them when I put them in a Baggie or cup, as opposed to on a plate. Novelty can be super simple. Or if your daughter is counting, do a 5 plate - five of one item, four of another, three of the next, etc etc.

An example of a 5 plate would be - five apple slices, four celery sticks with spread, three pieces of cheese, two lunch meat rolls, and one square of dark chocolate or a cookie. Then point out the various counts to her, it makes it fun and is educational (most kids like counting down as they munch things ).
Love it! Will remember for when I have the GKs!
kittycitygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #32
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mel K
Stats: 170/160/135
WOE: Low-Carb
Start Date: January 22, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin View Post
OK, it's late, I'm hurting and depressed (see post about my knee), so I've just skimmed some of these things....

Punkin,

The preschool I sent both of my children to had high-carb snacks that were freely available, at any time. (It's a Montessori thing, to have it THERE for the children to help themselves.)

So we couldn't address my daughter's food-issues (she's my junk food junkie) until she was out of there -- because she knew she could just hold out (ie: not eat meat or veggies) and fill up on crackers later (at school).

I feel your pain!

The nuts worked VERY well, and I can push them as "healthy fats" without having to go into "low carb" with anyone. When I'm explaining the situation, I discuss the blood-sugar drop, I mention very quickly him needing fats to keep it stable, and then bring up the nuts in the very same breath, and keep the focus there. Tree nuts and peanuts are both potential -- though unrelated -- allergens: A class will often allow one, but not the other.

Another option, especially with very young children like this is to make "cheater-snacks": Something that looks and tastes like a "normal" treat, but has less sugar and no actual grain.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...cakes-win.html
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...tein-bars.html (Shaped like cookies and CALLED "cookies")

Just a couple examples. For the kids, I'll use a combination of stevia and touch of honey. (A little honey masks any "strangeness" from the stevia.) They get something that tastes yummy, but will actually help balance -- rather than un-balance -- their blood sugar, and is incredibly nutrient-dense.

If anyone complains, just tell them you're trying to sneak in some extra nutrients. Figure out her favorite flavors (is she a spice-gal, like me? Does she love chocolate?) and keep a bunch of "cookies" around for her to snack on whenever she wants. You can make crackers, too, that taste like goldfish, and cut them into shapes. (She can help you make them:

1 cup almond flour
1/4 cup shredded cheddar
1/4 cup water

Mix.
Cover cookie sheet in baking parchment. Turn out dough onto parchment. Cover with more parchment, roll out or flatten using your hands... and then remove the top parchment and draw shapes. (Cooked crackers will break along these lines. For grownups, rectangles or diamonds. For your daughter, you may want to get creative!) Remove top parchment and bake at 350 until golden brown (10-20 min, depending on how thin you get the dough.))

And Re: the previous poster's comments about sunflower nut-butter, etc:

My daughter, initially, would only eat "regular" commercial peanut butter. Natural peanut butter? YUCKY! Almond butter? YUCKY! And she'd go hungry rather than eat them.

Fresh-ground was a lot easier to get her to accept. It's more like the "regular" stuff in consistency than the jars of "natural peanut butter".

If she DOESN'T accept whatever you're trying to switch her to, try stirring together whatever she's starting from and whatever you're transitioning her to, and gradually tweak the proportions.
Thank you so much for your post! I have been struggling with this for my kids as well. I recently stopped buying Cheez-itz and Oreo cookies (I limited them, but my kids at them every day) and have been trying to incorporate healthier options. My struggle has been for dessert-type foods. When I make them with stevia only, my kids hate them! I never thought of using stevia with a bit of honey. Genius!!! Also, I am going to try the cheese cracker recipe and see what my kiddos think.

Even though my kids aren't low carb at all, my priority with them is to stop buying processed foods (didn't buy much before, but want to cut them out totally). Baby steps...
Mel K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycitygirl View Post
Worry, yes, my adult (in his 20s) son has diabetes. I worry every day about him and his future. Diagnosed almost 3 years ago. Was it caused by the junk we allowed him to eat throughout his childhood? No proof, but shedding guilty tears here right now. Wish I could go back in time....he was never heavy, always on the thin side, still is, so never thought there was a problem with eating the carbs he did. Now, he's on insulin....

You, not your children, decide what they will have available to eat in your home. When you send them to daycare, the staff works for you. At school, pack healthy lunches. You decide what they will be fed. Would you allow them to do other non healthy things? Smoke, etc.?

Yes, they are eating good foods....they are NOT on Atkins. They are eating healthy. Fruits and veg.s, proteins, healthy fats, water to drink.......things they need to grow up as healthy as you can help them become. A carby treat at a special occasion is to be special, not daily, or several times a day.

Do what you can to keep your kids healthy while you still have time. Please! Before its too late.
Are you sure your son isn't a type I??? Going only on the info here, it sure looks like he is, in which case what you fed him was likely of no consequence or not in the way you're afraid.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
Are you sure your son isn't a type I??? Going only on the info here, it sure looks like he is, in which case what you fed him was likely of no consequence or not in the way you're afraid.
Was originally diagnosed type II. They are currently not sure. He may be that new class they've come up with, 1.5. No matter what, I will still feel guilty.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Was originally diagnosed type II. They are currently not sure. He may be that new class they've come up with, 1.5. No matter what, I will still feel guilty.
It is most certainly nothing you did. I think the same is true no matter what kind of diabetes, but there is not even any remotely sensible explanation for how it could be your fault. As a mom, I know there are probly things you screwed up (as I do every day), so you can find something else to beat yourself up over. This one is not your fault!!! Really!
Old 03-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #36

Thanks. Yes, we do.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Thanks everybody, I feel a lot less stressed out about it now. I am going to start making my own crackers from now on.

I can't believe that any of the grocery stores in my area don't carry any low carb products, gluten free is everywhere, but no option for LC.

Maybe someday it will catch on where I live. Everything at my stores is high carb and while its ok for me to live on LC veggies, my family has more trouble with that. It is nice to know how to make LC things myself now.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
Thanks everybody, I feel a lot less stressed out about it now. I am going to start making my own crackers from now on.

I can't believe that any of the grocery stores in my area don't carry any low carb products, gluten free is everywhere, but no option for LC.

Maybe someday it will catch on where I live. Everything at my stores is high carb and while its ok for me to live on LC veggies, my family has more trouble with that. It is nice to know how to make LC things myself now.
ITA that carby foods are more convenient, so it would be great to have some convenient LC options so that feeding them healthy stuff didn't necessarily mean you need to slave over their food. But I also think that it has got to be healthier for them to have foods made from real ingredients, yk?

OTOH, I am coming around to thinking its a better option to allow my kids some artificial sweeteners than to use real ones of any sort (even agave and honey are terrible, IMO) or to deprive them completely. Sometimes you gotta just go w the lesser of the evils...

My four year old told me yesterday that the only foods he will ever eat again are apples WITH NO PEANUT BUTTER ON THEM ( apparently I scarred him by putting pb on an apple once) and "little salami" (not the sliced kind, god forbid). That wouldn't really be so bad actually, except this statement really only communicates how difficult he is about eating, what he actually wants/refuses to eat on a normal day turns out to be atrocious.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
Old 03-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x69/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
Quote:
I can imagine but if he is type 1 or 1.5 (which it kind of sounds like) - these are autoimmune issues and not really anything you did or did not feed him. I know it's hard not to beat yourself up about it though. I have a child with PDD-NOS (like Asperger's) and I also always wonder if I did something that contributed to it. (Long history of stuff with him sigh).

Anyway I can sympathize.

Also for the cheese cracker recipe (can't remember who posted) - Thanks! I love cheese it and stuff. I'm going to try it

webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #40

Thanks, and I completely understand. Have family with same diagnosis as your son. Hug!