Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2013, 02:01 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stardust
Carby veggies, if still in your carb allowance?

I'll be the first to admit I don't love most vegetables or salads. I have got better as I have got older and now have a little selection of veggies and salad that I can quite happily eat.

Some of these are root veggies so higher in carbs.

If the carb values for vegetables fit in to your daily goals can you still have them? I'm not following a particular plan such as Atkins, I just aim to eat below 20g of carbs a day and higher fat / moderate protein.

Today for example, I have put my foods I plan to have into a tracker and am bang on 20g of carbs, but that includes 100g of carrot and swede mash which has 6g of carbs in it.

Will that be ok or is that too high?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2013, 02:03 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

And not sure if it makes much difference but I do some walking in the evening. I'm training for a charity treck so building up some miles. I have dinner around 5 - 6pm and around 7pm go for a 5 mile walk (averaging just under 4mph).
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:00 AM   #3
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /166/149? 5ft 6 1/2 in. Age 42
WOE: LC-My Way start 1/27 then JUDDD on 3/12 2 171.5lbs
Start Date: Jan 27,2013 at 199 for the LAST time!
Its going to depend on the individual,some will say no,it stalls them and others will say yes, in moderation.I eat baby carrots 2-3 times a week and have lost 21lbs in the last month.It works for me.I'd like to try winter squash but havent yet.I also eat corn if it is in a salad or soup and do fine.My plan is my own and ive incorporated some of this stuff.
Kimberli33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A'smommy
Stats: 144/129/120 5'5
WOE: My way, Lower carb, Low Calorie
Start Date: April 8th, 2014
I think as Kim said its kind of up to the person... as long as you dont notice it stalling/negatively affecting you in any way then I think it should be okay. When I'm not on induction I allow myself to have carby-ER veggies sometimes.. Things like taco salad w/ bell pepper & onion.. or stirfrys with some bell pepper, onion, and carrot thrown in. It has never stalled me or messed me up so to say.
A'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I agree with the others, if you can fit them in your carb allowance try it an see what happens. You may react to different foods differently. I eat some carrots on occasion, and I ate beets a couple times when I first started LC and I lost just fine.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:13 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
Today for example, I have put my foods I plan to have into a tracker and am bang on 20g of carbs, but that includes 100g of carrot and swede mash which has 6g of carbs in it.
So long as they are fitting into your carb allowance and not stalling you, I don't see a problem. I eat some higher-carb veggies too (onions, carrots, brussels sprouts, etc.) and haven't had a problem. I just keep the portions small -- a couple of carrots in a pot of stew, 1/4 apple roasted along with my vegetables, etc.

I think there's a big difference in the carbs that come from whole, natural foods and those you find in processed junk.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
So long as they are fitting into your carb allowance and not stalling you, I don't see a problem. I eat some higher-carb veggies too (onions, carrots, brussels sprouts, etc.) and haven't had a problem. I just keep the portions small -- a couple of carrots in a pot of stew, 1/4 apple roasted along with my vegetables, etc.

I think there's a big difference in the carbs that come from whole, natural foods and those you find in processed junk.
I followed the Atkins ladder and chose to add my carby vegetables first, one at a time over the course of several months. I have had no problem losing with them and I now eat a very large variety of vegetables.

I have not added potatoes or corn as a regular thing (I'll eat a little bit of either if I'm in a restaurant) but I eat all the others frequently and have had no problems with weight loss. I do stay below 35 or 40 carbs a day regardless.

Adding fruit has been a little bit harder to deal with. Everything but berries and melon seems to set off some craving for me. (I'm trying out the fruit with fat concept to see if that helps.) I'm also about to try out some beans and see how that goes.

I have no intention of going back to bread, rice, pasta or sugar (or any processed foods) but I'm hoping that I can figure out how to eat veggies, legumes and fruit in some formulation that doesn't kick off cravings and/or weight gain. I suspect I'll be at this a while...

Good luck.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:56 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeelover
Stats: 237/just restarted/125 5'4"
WOE: Atkins
In my case, it's not a question of these types of veggies stalling me, it's a question of total number of calories and what it does to my appetite. I can lose weight on 1500 calories of Snickers bars but my cravings go through the roof! As long as I stay under my carb allotment these types of foods don't cause cravings, it's mostly just foods with added sugar like candy, pastries, pop, etc. that stimulate cravings regardless of carb amounts.

I'm actually planning on adding these back very soon.
coffeelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I eat lots of veggies, and keep below 50 grams carb/day. I avoid corn and peas, but eat pretty much anything else. Even beans occasionally. I often add a couple tablespoons of refried beans to my bone broth soup for some thickening and flavor. 1/4 cup only has 8 carbs. I can have that in a meal.

And if the only option was corn or peas, I'd probably eat it... 1/2 cup of canned corn or peas is 11 carbs. I can usually tolerate up to 15 carbs in one meal.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
If a person is not losing weight on 20g carbs then the reason is something other than carbs.

I draw a red line between good and bad carbs. I don't think too many people experience the "abusive relationship" effect with tomatoes and onions, and the more variety you can safely include the better your vitamins/minerals will be.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone, that is great. Seemed to be ok last night and not feeling any cravings this morning so fingers crossed I will be ok with them.
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote