Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Saw this in magazine (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/798720-saw-magazine.html)

SadieJack 03-04-2013 02:49 PM

Saw this in magazine

I saw this article about maltodextrine and leaky gut syndrome. Malto is in EVERYTHING I think! Especially artificial sweeteners. Anyone else know anything about this? I have a lot of the symptoms of leaky gut syndrome and up until recently used A TON of artificial sweeteners.

svenskamae 03-04-2013 03:43 PM

Interesting. Food intolerances and leaky gut syndrome have been linked to a lot of other health problems, including weight loss resistence and weight gain, asthma, and allergies, all of which have been increasing in recent decades ...

SadieJack 03-04-2013 03:58 PM

It is scary... you are told by the FDA that X is safe and it really isn't. Sigh. BTW, I quit sweeteners last week and have dropped 3 lbs. Unheard of for me. I can see a picture of food and gain. I am going to REALLY (expletive) if my weight gain and subsequent inability to lose is due to SWEETENERS! I will devote the rest of my life to getting that (expletive) off the shelves!! :annoyed:

lterry913 03-04-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadieJack (Post 16295374)
I saw this article about maltodextrine and leaky gut syndrome. Malto is in EVERYTHING I think! Especially artificial sweeteners. Anyone else know anything about this? I have a lot of the symptoms of leaky gut syndrome and up until recently used A TON of artificial sweeteners.

I don't know a lot about the leaky gut topic but if you get sweetener in liquid form it contains no malto.

terez 03-05-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SadieJack (Post 16295374)

I would love to read this article if you can find the link. There's a GAPS thread in the Organic section of the message boards, which is the same thing.

I have been feeling better, but I would love to know what else I can do to heal faster.

svenskamae 03-05-2013 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terez (Post 16296653)
I would love to read this article if you can find the link. There's a GAPS thread in the Organic section of the message boards, which is the same thing.

I have been feeling better, but I would love to know what else I can do to heal faster.

Do you have the "Practical Paleo" book? That has a good section about digestive problems and healing, and maybe you'd find something useful there. Good luck with healing, Terez.

terez 03-05-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svenskamae (Post 16296805)
Do you have the "Practical Paleo" book? That has a good section about digestive problems and healing, and maybe you'd find something useful there. Good luck with healing, Terez.

Thanks! I'll check it out. My kitchen looks like a mad scientist lives there with all the kefir, kombucha and bone broth either simmering or fermenting there.

I'm looking into switching out from Splenda to erythritol or xylitol, not just because of digestive complications, but also because of possible stalling with the Splenda. The bone broth I eat with kim chee.

I'm also looking into getting more probiotics, but I'm not sure what to look for. It seems silly to spend money on things like acidophilis capsules when every yogurt out there has it.

Gretalyn 03-05-2013 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terez (Post 16296867)
It seems silly to spend money on things like acidophilis capsules when every yogurt out there has it.

I wondered about this too, but I've actually found that I get the most benefit by both taking the capsules and eating a little Greek yogurt every day.

terez 03-05-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gretalyn (Post 16297620)
I wondered about this too, but I've actually found that I get the most benefit by both taking the capsules and eating a little Greek yogurt every day.

Yeah, if it's carby I can see taking supplements, but I eat the plain and the cultures eat the lactose and carbs. I think my yogurt has 5 cultures added.

marieze 03-05-2013 02:40 PM

The only sweetners I use anymore are swerve and sweetfreeze which is liquid...oh...and stevia in packags which has no maltodexitrin....