Old 03-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ljmama0408
Stats: 220/193/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: November 2012
Frugal LC

Hi all,
I'm a stay-at-home mom and with recent gas prices and higher income taxes, we are watching our pennies more closely. I've always been frugal since we are on one paycheck and I'm happy to have found ways to incorporate LC woe into it without any major problems. I love Aldi's for great grocery prices on eggs, cheese and produce. I shop around the other grocers for meat sales. I exercise at home either on a treadmill (a very basic one we've had for years) or with a couple of exercise videos. I recently discovered some full length workout videos on youtube. I'm so excited to be able to use these videos to add variety to my workouts and it has motivated me to make an extra effort to exercise every day. I like the library for either exercise dvds or LC books and cookbooks. There really is no excuse for me not to make this work. I'm motivated more than ever due to all these resources. Do you do LC on a budget? Do you have any frugal tips to share?
ljmama0408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
There's a thread here called "Cheapskate Low Carb" or something similar that has some great ideas....

Personally, I try to cut costs by purchasing meat in bulk or buying tougher (ie: cheaper) cuts of meat and braising them.

Big box stores are great for selling great meat at discount prices.
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Here's the thread on eating LC on a budget: Eating within your low carb budget.. Several threads included
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Sounds like you're already doing a lot to cut down your grocery bill. Sales are your friends. Definitely check out the other threads. There are some GREAT tips for eating on a budget. And who isn't on a budget these days?
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Sounds like you are making lemonade out of lemons...good for you. My biggest tip is to buy as much as I can on line...with gas being as expensive as it is I can save big bucks with flat rate shipping of 5 bucks or less from most places...I get all the lc stuff i need without having to drive all over town to find it...I live 45 minutes from the nearest place to buy a lot of the low carb products I use and I may not find them all at one store so that means another trip, therefore increasing the gas I use again.

I order once a month or so and only spend 5 buck in shipping. The prices of the products are often lower than I would find at the store because they are not considered a specialty item as they would be at the grocers.

Good luck and stay positive.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #6

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
the biggest deal to me is not what you buy but how. two things work like magic:

1. go to a "grocery liquidator" store or something like that. here that's Grocery Outlet. On average we pay less than half the going rate for the same things in the "regular" grocery stores in the same area.

2. shop around and try to find a store that marks stuff down as it gets to it's sell by date. every week I get large bags of vegetables for 99 cents or $2, depending, and it can be like 9 lb of tomatoes, or 6 lb of turnips, etc. Meat is regularly marked to half price, and cheeses too, but less often. most stores nowadays are too "fancy" to do this, but if you keep looking around you will find some manager comes in who thinks this is a good idea and does it for awhile before stopping... the bargains move around from store to store over the years!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
I have found that SOUP is a very economical way to eat LC. I make a big batch of it, and I can make it last for a family of 4 for 3 days...if you don't mind leftovers, it's the way to go!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: uhhuhher
Start Date: April 28, 2011
Aldi is the best! When I get their ads with the produce prices, I plan my weeks meals around it. Last week they had grape tomatoes for 69 cents, 3 pounds of onions for 79 cents and avocados for 49 cents! Since I stock up and freeze chicken thighs, sausage and pork loin when I find them super on sale I know I always have protein available - just add the produce! We have a local farm market/deli and their special this week was the 2 cup bags of shredded cheese for $1.29. They are good until April if unopened so I stocked up. Check the small family owned stores for good specials, freeze what you can and plan. We are on a tight budget and both are low carb. Aldi is our best friend ha!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i am also in the process of going cheapER.

I recently retired. I will be buying whole chickens instead of breasts. No more calling chinese, italian, or diners for delivery. For the last 10 years, I ONLY buy solid white tuna on sale (even if it is NOT Bumble Bee). I will be eating more salad & veggies, and smaller amounts of protein/fat foods, to stretch my dollar. Just a few suggestions to start you on your way. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: mamasooze
Stats: 225/170's/150
WOE: Low carb, wheat-free, mostly paleo
Start Date: AUG 2011
Hey gang. Every year at this time our family does a Food Stamp Callenge- SNAP challenge. We eat mostly low carb and I modify the menu items I have listed to fit my WOE. Find the details here Nourishing The Soul. You can find LC menus and short cuts. No, it's not induction, but most daily menus can be worked to less than 40 carbs a day. On "bean days" I eat a big ol' salad I will feed 2 adults and a part-time toddler for less than $280 a month. That's B-L-D plus snax, organic milk, juice, fresh fruit, veggies.
mamasooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
I finally gave up trying to save money. I'm a full-fledged coconut butter, wild salmon, macadamia oil, organic asparagus junkie and I don't know how to stop. ;_;

My current tactic is to add 1/4 head of cabbage to everything and hope the volume satisfies me.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:31 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I make lots of different quiches (without the flour!) and souffles, and I buy bulk frozen fish and less expensive veggies. I have a budget of $50/week for food for myself and I cannot go over, but I do include 2 or 3 nights out per month because of evening meetings in restaurants. This is basically because my car has eaten all of my savings and then some and I might be unemployed in a month.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:36 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hippygypsykaren
Stats: (277) 273.5/255/160
WOE: Low Carb
One of our grocery stores runs coupons such as buy a package of bacon get a dozen eggs free or buy a pound of hamburger get pack of tomatoes free. That is a way to stretch your money especially if you can shop when you're already in the area for something else.

Yard sales are your friend. I have literally about a hundred exercise videos that I purchased for about .50 each over the years. For me, variety is the spice of exercise.
hippygypsykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:22 AM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ljmama0408
Stats: 220/193/150
Thanks for all the great tips and threads! I also forgot to mention that the swagbucks website has been a big help also. I save up for amazon gift cards and order lc books or food.
ljmama0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I know this thread is more about food costs.... but I just wanted to mention that YouTube has a lot of exercise videos available for free (full 30 min or hour long!). I've been using Jillian Michael's workouts from Youtube.

PS. Mamasooze.... I cant get your link to work? It intially opens your website then immediately shifts to a different website for some consulting group??

Last edited by Strawberry; 03-06-2013 at 07:20 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote