LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 01:22 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Eyma
Stats: 185(?)/165/141
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: February 2013
Afraid of weighing myself

Hi, this is the first time I post, but I have been the board for a few weeks now. I知 into my third week of Atkins (still following Induction) and I can already feel my clothes looser and I have loads of more energy, which is great. The problem isI知 afraid to weigh myself. I know it痴 a bit ridiculous, but I知 still so fat and I just fear I will be discouraged in case I find I知 way heavier than I think I am. On the other hand, I feel I need to monitor my weight to make adjustments to my diet if needed. What would you do? Would you bite the bullet? Would you wait longer?
Eyma is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2013, 01:29 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Did you weigh yourself in the beginning? How about measuring yourself in several places?

There's no need to weigh yourself at all. If you choose to go by a clothing size or measurements, or simply when you feel like you're at a good weight, go for it! The scale is only one way to measure progress.

Some people never weigh. Some people weigh only very rarely, like every few months. Others weigh monthly or weekly, or even daily. Whatever works for you is the best way to go.

I happen to weigh daily, but I do so knowing that the scale may have jumped up several pounds, or down 0.2 pounds, from one day to the next. I don't let the daily weight affect my feelings, and this works for me.

Good job so far! Your clothes are looser, so you're making progress.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: fozzie99
Stats: 410/298/200 6' 0" 57 years old
WOE: HCG with EFGT meals now just EFGT low cal
Start Date: 7/23/2011
I know EXACTLY how you feel they say you are more then a number on a scale it's very true!!!!
fozzie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:09 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyma View Post
Hi, this is the first time I post, but I have been the board for a few weeks now. I知 into my third week of Atkins (still following Induction) and I can already feel my clothes looser and I have loads of more energy, which is great. The problem isI知 afraid to weigh myself. I know it痴 a bit ridiculous, but I知 still so fat and I just fear I will be discouraged in case I find I知 way heavier than I think I am. On the other hand, I feel I need to monitor my weight to make adjustments to my diet if needed. What would you do? Would you bite the bullet? Would you wait longer?
You don't have to weigh yourself as long as you can feel your clothes fitting looser then you are losing. I say wait a bit longer to weigh yourself and just monitor how your clothes fit you.
~PaperMoon~ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:08 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Agree with keeping track of how your clothes are fitting.

And after you're feeling good about your clothes, you could ask your doctor to look up your highest recorded weight, and use that to figure out how much you've lost when you're ready to weigh.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:17 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/202/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
Welcome! Some people don't weight at all...it's up to you. But if it's a fear perhaps it would be a good idea to conquer it! You know you clothese are looser. Regardless of what the scale says, what you are doing is working! I have been weighing almost daily (or sometimes more often!) and I have found the more I weigh the less of an issue it is for me. I just know some days will be up and some will be down. Even if I gain a bit it helps me make adjustments.

Last edited by Mistizoom; 03-04-2013 at 04:19 AM..
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:16 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Luckyone2934
Stats: 220/159(158)/where i'm comfy
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January 2003
I restarted my woe a little over a month ago, and I haven't weighed myself yet. I don't own a scale, so I have just been going by how my clothes feel. I also use ketosticks once a day just to confirm ketosis. I know it is working, I can feel how different my body feels, and how my clothes are fitting. Bonus, was my mom commenting the other day that she could see a difference.
Everyone can see inches, but usually only you see the number on the scale.

I think it is a very individual thing. The scale is just one of many tools that can be used.

to the boards. They are a great "tool" as well!

"Believe in yourself, trust the process, change forever."~ Bob Harper
Luckyone2934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:21 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
When I started low carb, I didn't want to weigh myself, because I didn't want to spend a lot of time thinking about the number. I figured I'd see other signs if it turned out to be a terrible idea.

My husband, though, thought we should collect data - for SCIENCE! So every afternoon when we go to the gym, I step on the scale and don't look, and he puts the number in a spreadsheet. (Yes! He does!)

I do see the number sometimes, and I'm not going to lie - I do find myself thinking about it!

But if you don't want to weigh yourself, there's no reason to. The important thing is what you eat, not whether or not you look at a little number on a box from time to time.
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
I think you're better off staying away from the scale and going by measurements, how your clothes fit, etc.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I did weigh but my biggest satisfaction came from using my belt as a gauge...I would have to tighten it a notch every couple weeks or so until I finally punched holes in it and then moved to a smaller belt. Eventually that belt was being tightened... I suggest trying this...it is such a great feeling.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A&F
Stats: 185/138.4/120
Start Date: 7/12/11
I have to agree with everyone here. You don't have to weigh yourself. Some do. Last time doing this I weighed daily, mostly so I could track long term progress and see if there was a monthly trend to my weight. But them I'm an analyst and a data junkie. However, last time I did not take measurements. I wish I had. This time around I'm doing both. I would suggest at least taking measurements. They are a more accurate measure of loss and can keep you motivated even when the scale isn't moving.

Above all, CONGRATULATIONS on your loss and welcome!!!!
A&F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Eyma
Stats: 185(?)/165/141
Start Date: February 2013
Thanks so much for the replies and the warm welcome!! Have decided that I will wait and weigh myself at the end of the first month - hopefully it will be a pleasant surprise
Eyma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
Good luck! I'm a complete scale addict and I do obsess. Then again, it is kind of worth it on the days when the number goes down to something unexpected
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/221/199
Start Date: April 2012
Why don't you get yourself a pair of jeans that are too small and go by that? I find that fun to do. I have a pair now that I bought at a thrift store. About once per week, I try them on to see how they are fitting.
cfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
Start Date: 9/17/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lterry913 View Post
I did weigh but my biggest satisfaction came from using my belt as a gauge...I would have to tighten it a notch every couple weeks or so until I finally punched holes in it and then moved to a smaller belt. Eventually that belt was being tightened... I suggest trying this...it is such a great feeling.
This is also one of my favorites also. I just purchased my third belt since starting in September. Lots of fun!
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:24 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
Start Date: 9/17/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
Why don't you get yourself a pair of jeans that are too small and go by that? I find that fun to do. I have a pair now that I bought at a thrift store. About once per week, I try them on to see how they are fitting.
This is also one of my favorite things to do. As a a matter of fact I just confortably fit into my "goal" pants and am due for another trip to the thrift store to get a new pair!
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
For my first 6 months of weight loss, I didn't have a scale and did this, too--except as an apple, I need to lose more in my stomach and breasts than in my hips, so I used a non-loose top (a blouse rather than a tunic) as my pseudo-scale in clothing. And it was a great day when the blouse fit well enough to wear outside my house.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ~PaperMoon~
Stats: 100+ Pounds lost!
WOE: Low Carb and general low calorie
Quote:
Yes I did that too, and watched myself shrink into them. There are many ways to measure weight loss besides the scale. I had a fear of the scale too and lost 100 pounds by using other methods and only weighing every once in a while. Numbers on a scale would have freaked me out, it was much easier to keep on going when I didn't have the stress of numbers on the scale. That way I could just keep on keeping on.

Last edited by ~PaperMoon~; 03-06-2013 at 10:14 PM..
~PaperMoon~ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stardust
I'm addicted to my scales so if I had the willpower I would never weigh and its inevitable some times I will feel dissapointed.
Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I like weighing every morning, BVDs before I eat or drink anything. I jot it on my calandar. Then put it asside. If I screw up, it clearly shows on the scale. I figure my minus number once a week, on Saturday.
My pants are fitting looser already.
I hadn't been weighing regularly before I restarted... I guess I knew & didn't want to have it confirmed.
I use the weigh in as a motivator... coupled with my food & hunger journal... adjusting my intake so I am hungry just before it's time to eat. These first weeks, I am looking for cravings triggers.
One has to be just a bit food obcessed... PLAN your NEXT meal time & content. Don't wait until you are hungry... that's too late!

Best Wishes

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!" "Lead me not into carb temptation!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE... but gotta stay ON it.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote