Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   When do carbs get turned to fat (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/798666-when-do-carbs-get-turned-fat.html)

Abdul1993 03-03-2013 10:21 PM

When do carbs get turned to fat

Ok, so I've been consuming within the range of 20-50 carbs a day (majority of the days being 20-30) for the past month with only 2 days where i exceeded that amount. My goal isn't ketosis, because it seems impossible for me to enter, but for me to just restrict my carbs just to maintain my weight until the summer. For the past 3 days, I have taken in about 400 grams of carbs because I didn't have an alternative. I would've loved to burn those carbs in the same day, but I don't get that chance till after Tuesday. I'm wondering how much physical fat I will gain from this and how soon. I read somewhere the body has storage space for carbs and when thats filled up, thats when they turn to fat. Would 400g be over the storage amount? I know theres nothing I can do about it, and that it'd be best to just to get back to 20-30ish grams of carbs, but knowing that I gained fat will help me stay restricted carbs. And if the 400 grams won't harm me, and I didn't gain fat, then that's awesome too :)

picklepete 03-03-2013 11:16 PM

Yes, the liver and skeletal muscle can store carbohydrate as glycogen. The capacity is hard to estimate because it depends on how much muscle you have and how fatty your liver is. I've read athletes have about 600g of storage, the rest of us somewhat less so 400g is probably cutting it close. Glycogen also retains a lot of water so the scale will be cruel until it's depleted again.

When we eat, the body tries to dispose of the nutrients. If there's no room for glycogen, the liver performs lipogenesis (fat creation) on the overspill. This is kind of a messy conversion and one of the major defects of the standard US diet, but as long as it's not a habit I wouldn't agonize over what's done.

Punkin 03-04-2013 06:08 AM

For some people, a majority of those 400g of carbs will be stored directly as fat before your body gets a chance to use them. However, for other people, the body will try to do the opposite and try to burn them first. It depends on your genetics. If you are traditionally one of those people who doesn't worry about fat, chances are you are of the latter type.

biancasteeplechase 03-04-2013 06:52 AM

It'll also be affected by the type of carbs you ate. Fructose is metabolized differently than glucose, for example - fructose is entirely metabolized by the liver, and from what I've read, can replenish liver glycogen but not muscle glycogen. Fructose is also the carbohydrate we most easily convert to fat.

Even without fructose, different sources of carbohydrate will affect insulin levels in different ways - the starch from a potato will hit your bloodstream faster and harder than if you got the same amount of carbohydrate from a plateful of lettuce. Insulin signals your muscles to store glycogen if they can, but it also signals your fat cells to store glucose as fat. If you have insulin resistance, different types of cells might have different levels of resistance - so your muscles might be ignoring an insulin level that has your fat cells busily socking away glucose.

ravenrose 03-04-2013 09:31 AM

if you really have a metabolism that can't go into ketosis, it means you are EXTREMELY insulin resistant and probably diabetic, right? so you can store a lot of fat fast, more than the "facts" would suggest is possible, because of your high blood insulin levels. In my case, I could EASILY gain 10+ lb in three days eating like that, probably more. but I am extreme. you will just have to try hard and see what happens. no one can tell you what your special body will do this time! good luck.

Taxbane 03-04-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picklepete (Post 16293867)
Yes, the liver and skeletal muscle can store carbohydrate as glycogen. The capacity is hard to estimate because it depends on how much muscle you have and how fatty your liver is. I've read athletes have about 600g of storage, the rest of us somewhat less so 400g is probably cutting it close. Glycogen also retains a lot of water so the scale will be cruel until it's depleted again.

When we eat, the body tries to dispose of the nutrients. If there's no room for glycogen, the liver performs lipogenesis (fat creation) on the overspill. This is kind of a messy conversion and one of the major defects of the standard US diet, but as long as it's not a habit I wouldn't agonize over what's done.

:goodpost:

artsyfartsy 03-04-2013 03:38 PM

400g is equal to about 800 calories.

The weight you most likely put on is water weight. It will disappear in a few days. Just get back on track.

creseis 03-04-2013 10:21 PM

you know, I recently heard something about this genetic mutation in which a certain type of lipid produced from glucose cannot be transported back into the body and it is just removed through excretion (poop), and people with this genetic mutation cannot get fat from eating carbohydrates, they cannot get heart disease or metabolic syndrome and they live forever smoking 5 packs of cigarettes a day and they get to eat all the cheetos they want. Yeah, I hate those people! (ok I exaggerate, but it's close to this!)

cfine 03-05-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

you know, I recently heard something about this genetic mutation in which a certain type of lipid produced from glucose cannot be transported back into the body and it is just removed through excretion (poop), and people with this genetic mutation cannot get fat from eating carbohydrates, they cannot get heart disease or metabolic syndrome and they live forever smoking 5 packs of cigarettes a day and they get to eat all the cheetos they want. Yeah, I hate those people! (ok I exaggerate, but it's close to this!)
I didn't know that, but now that I do, I hate those people too! :hyst:

~PaperMoon~ 03-06-2013 11:16 PM

LOL! I know! I have several of them in my family! :laugh: So I know it well!

amundson 03-07-2013 04:49 AM

Great thread!!