Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceanlover66
WOE: low carb
I also wanted to ask. I have Stevia in the Raw. Is that ok? Is there just a plain Stevia?
oceanlover66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #32
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Stevia in the raw's first ingredient is dextrose.

I use liquid stevia. The brand I use is Sweet Leaf Stevia Clear. They make flavored stevias, too.

Truvia is erythritol and stevia extract (rebiana). The label says it is 3 carbs per packet, but there is discussion that erythritol (which is where the carbs come from) is digested differently, so the carbs would not be counted, allegedly.

And I got some Nevella brand monk fruit to go, which is a liquid product. Monk fruit is the same as lo han guo, but the nevella brand also has the ingredients malic acid, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
What I consider to be safe but still use in moderation and are my favorite brands:

Kal brand white stevia extract
Sweetleaf stevia glycerite (liquid stevia)
Steviva brand erythritol/stevia blend
Sensato powdered erythritol
Sensato granular erythritol
Xylitol in moderation since it can cause me tummy distress. I usually use small amounts to mix with E and stevia for a synergestic effect.

I do have some Swerve and Just like Sugar but haven't used them yet. I also have a bunch of others I've bought but don't use but hesitate to throw them away. I did however throw away the Whey Low and Polydextrose and recently saccharin. I'd like to try the lo han guo and also yacon syrup but I still need to read up on those before I mindlessly purchase them. I also will not use anything that contains maltodextrin but that is a insidious little ingredient that is in so many things.

As you can see from above I do have a serious addiction to sugar or I wouldn't desperately try to find a replacement by buying every sweetener that comes on the market. I'm on the quest to slowly cut back on sweeteners but don't think I can totally eliminate them but I'll give it my best.

Last edited by PaminKY; 03-06-2013 at 08:36 AM..
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: oceanlover66
WOE: low carb
I see the liquid Stevia is good for drinks.

I see on my Stevia in the Raw, the first ingredient says Meladextrose(SP?) is that bad for you?

What about for baking? What do you think is the "safest".?
oceanlover66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:58 AM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: PaminKY
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanlover66 View Post
I see the liquid Stevia is good for drinks.

I see on my Stevia in the Raw, the first ingredient says Meladextrose(SP?) is that bad for you?

What about for baking? What do you think is the "safest".?

Meladextrose is another word for a type of sugar. I would not use Stevia in the Raw or any sweetener in the packets, maltodextrin is used as the filler in those.

For baking I like to use a mix of Steviva and white stevia extract and sometimes a bit of xylitol. For instance if a recipe for a baked good calls for 1 cup sugar I would use 1/2 cup Steviva, 1/8 tsp of white stevia extract and maybe a tablespoon of xylitol. Then I would do a taste test and if not sweet enough I would add more Steviva but not add more stevia or xylitol.

For ice cream recipes or when I make my own chocolates I use the powdered erythritol and white stevia.

I don't use xylitol very often and if I do I don't use much.

I did like to use liquid splenda with Steviva and stevia but I'm now trying to eliminate it too but I have to admit that the mix of Steviva, stevia and liquid splenda worked really really well.
PaminKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:25 PM   #36
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: KellyMarie38
Stats: 144.8-136.8-135.8-130 & tone-5'7" tall
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 07/2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretalyn View Post
A lot of people who argue sugar is better for you than non-caloric sweeteners will use this line of reasoning, but don't let them fool you. Sugar is NOT a natural part of the human diet, nor is it any more "natural" a product than the non-caloric sweeteners. It is a highly refined and isolated chemical. I definitely believe that the non-caloric sweeteners are the lesser of two evils, because while there's a lot of talk about them causing cancer, I've yet to see any real evidence that they do, despite the fact that they've been studied pretty extensively. Meanwhile, the evidence that sugar is toxic continues to grow every day.
I gave up any and all sugar because I had cancer and read how it contributes to tumor growth.
KellyMarie38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:26 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Gretalyn
Stats: maintenance
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: off and on since 2004, on to stay since March 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyMarie38 View Post
I gave up any and all sugar because I had cancer and read how it contributes to tumor growth.
I hope that you are doing well.
Gretalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
I tend to stay away from AS as much as possible. When I do use it, I use splenda/sucralose. I avoid aspartame like the plague. Lately I've been drinking my hot tea without any sweetener at all. The last time I used a tsp of splenda in my tea, it made it too sweet for my taste.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #39
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Rosie Posie
Stats: 254/231/155
WOE: Low Carb, Gluten Free Mix (moving towards Paleo)
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
I just read SO many recipes that say Splenda.
I got the following out of the Wheat Belly cookbook and have found it very helpful in making substitutions for sugar or splenda in recipes:

1 cup sucrose = 1 cup stevia (mixed with malodex.)
= 1 cup granulated splenda
= 1/4 cup stevia extract powder
= 7 tbsp Truvia
= 2 tbsp liquide stevia extract
= 1 1/3 cup erythritol
= 1 cup xylitol
Rosie Posie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:19 AM   #40
Junior LCF Member

I read a number of articles written by Maria Emmerich (you can google search her for more info) and she writes the following about Chicory Root Sweetners (such as Swerve and Just Like Sugar):

Chicory Root Benefits

1. CHOLESTEROL: It decrease the levels of serum LDL cholesterol in the blood.

2. INFLAMMATION: It contains vitamin C, one of the most powerful antioxidants.

3. DIABETES: The inulin content is not digestible, so its lack of glucose can help promote optimal blood sugar levels while also increasing stool bulk and consistency.

4. CONSTIPATION: It provides soluble fiber, which improves digestion.

5. GALL BLADDER ISSUES: It builds your body's resistance to gallstones and liver stones. By increasing the flow of bile, it assists the body in digesting foods and liquids. The extra bile also helps break down fats in the body.Chicory root has a mild laxative effect, increases bile from the gallbladder, and decreases swelling.

6. URINARY INFECTIONS, KIDNEY STONES and GOUT: It has diuretic properties that provide protection for the urinary tract system and kidneys. Toxins are removed and the cleansing of the body is stimulated because of an increase in urine flow. It has been used to expel gravel, calcium deposits, and excess uric acid from the body, which helps to prevent gout and kidney stones.

7. WEIGHT LOSS: Chicory root benefits weight loss because of the effect it has on the digestive system. It is an excellent source of fructooligosaccharides which help promote the growth of beneficial bacteria in your digestive tract. It also increases the rate of the break down of fats. It also helps with weight loss because it helps keep insulin levels low while enjoying sweet foods.

8. NATURAL "Liver" CLEANSER: Chicory root also supports the body's detoxification system through the liver and kidneys, and is believed to help with calcium absorption. Chicory also helps prevent jaundice and an enlarged liver when mixed with water. Because of Chicory Root’s potential for removing contaminants from the digestive system, the liver does not have to work as hard to filter out toxins that may have escaped into the bloodstream. It also acts as a gentle laxative and diuretic for removing excess water and toxins, and this can also reduce strain on the liver.

9. ANXIETY: It is a natural sedative and anti-inflammatory for the nervous system. If you have anxiety issues and still drink coffee, this sweetener can help.

10: INDIGESTION: It acts as an herbal antacid, the root neutralizes acid and correct acid indigestion, heartburn, gastritis, vomiting, upset stomach. Because it stimulates bile production, this helps to speed up the digestive process after eating too much rich food.

11. SKIN: Used externally, the Chicory Root has healing properties for cuts, sunburn, swellings, hemorrhoids, and poison ivy. It reduces the inflammation of rheumatism and the pain of stiff and sore joints.

So, with all the benefits to the digestive system and cleansing properties that chicory root offers, it is an awesome natural sweetener.

ALLERGENS: If you are allergic to ragweed, you may be allergic to the Chicory Root.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #41
Junior LCF Member

STEVIA GLYCERITE Stevia glycerite is a favorite of many people. It is an herb that has been used as a sweetener in South America for hundreds of years. One tip is to look for “stevia glycerite;” which has no bitter aftertaste as compared to plain “stevia". It is widely used all over the world. In Japan, it claims 58% of the sweetener market, and was used in Japanese Diet Coke until the company replaced it with aspartame to "standardize" worldwide.
CALORIES = 0
SWEETNESS/CONVERSION = 300 times sweeter than sugar
CONVERSION = 1 tsp of stevia = 1 cup of sugar
WHY I USE IT = It is great for cooking, because it maintains flavor that many other sweeteners lose when heated, but it also needs an additional sweetener in most cases when making baked goods since it doesn't caramelize or create "bulk."
BENEFITS OF STEVIA
1. WEIGHT LOSS and DIABETICS: It does not affect blood sugar metabolism. This makes it a great tool in weight loss programs, but it also for diabetics. Stevia creates a hypoglycemic effect and increases glucose tolerance. It significantly decreases plasma glucose levels. In multiple human studies, blood sugar is reduced by 35% 6-8 hours after consumption of a hot water extract of the leaf.
2. BLOOD PRESSURE: Stevia extract is a vasodilator agent. Studies show that a mix of hot water and extract from the leaf lowers both systolic and diastolic blood pressure. Several studies demonstrated this hypotensive action (as well as a diuretic action).
3. ANTI-BACTERIAL/ANTI-YEAST: has anti-bacterial properties in that it helps to inhibit the growth and reproduction of harmful bacteria that lead to disease. It helps prevent dental cavities by inhibiting the bacteria Streptococcus mutans that stimulates plaque growth. It also has vasodilatory activity and is effective for various skin issues, such as acne, heat rash, and problems caused by insufficient blood circulation.
4. CANCER: It keeps your body in a ketogenic state so you can starve the cancer of sugar on which cancer feeds upon (read more HERE).
UNDESIRED PROPERTIES = It doesn't create a "caramelized" cookie, or "bulk" in baked goods, which is why I add erythritol.

ERYTHRITOL = Erythritol is a naturally-derived sugar substitute that looks and tastes very much like sugar, yet has almost no calories. Erythritol has been used in Japan since 1990 in candies, chocolate, yogurt, fillings, jellies, jams, beverages, and as a sugar substitute. Erythritol, is considered a 'sugar alcohol' and is found naturally in small amounts in grapes, melons, mushrooms, and fermented foods such as wine, beer, cheese, and soy sauce. Erythritol is usually made from plant sugars.
CALORIES = 0 to 0.2 calories/gram (95% fewer calories than sugar)
SWEETNESS = 70% as sweet as table sugar. Use cup for cup like sugar, but you need to add a tsp of stevia glycerite to add sweetness.
WHY I USE IT = Unlike stevia, it has a crystallization property like sugar. This is why it is combined with stevia for baking.
BENEFITS of ERYTHRITOL
1. WEIGHT LOSS and DIABETES: Erythritol does not affect blood glucose or insulin levels.
2. ORAL HEALTH: Erythritol isn’t metabolized by oral bacteria which break down sugars and starches to produce acids, which means that it doesn’t contribute to tooth decay. This is why excess carbohydrates and table sugar lead to tooth enamel loss and cavities formation.
3. CANDIDA: Erythritol is absorbed in the small intestines, which reduces fermentation and decreases the detrimental problems associated with Candida (yeast overgrowth in the body).
UNDESIRED PROPERTIES = It doesn't dissolve in foods (like salad dressings/caramel)

ZSWEET is another brand of erythritol and stevia mixed together. It comes in convenient large bags. A lot of people prefer the taste of ZSweet over other non-caloric sweeteners.
CALORIES = 0
SWEETNESS = same as sugar (use cup for cup)
CONVERSION/BENEFITS/UNDESIRED PROPERTIES = Same as stevia and erythritol

Source: Maria Emmerich
Old 03-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
I have a noticeable reaction to sugar (hunger, sleepiness), but none to any AS. Mostly I use liquid Sucralose, but I keep others around the house too.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:06 AM   #43
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
Start Date: Jan 2001
I use the liquid stevia, sweet leaf or KAL brands. We like the flavored liquid sweet leaf flavors too. They don't have an aftertaste in our opinion.

I only use sweetener once or twice a day.
I buy a diet soda on occasion so do get the occasional hit of Artificial Sweetener.
I cannot imagine giving it up entirely.

I remember reading Sugar Blues back in 1984 (that dates me) or thereabouts and it was an eye opener, one of the first to show the connection with sugar and how cancer needs the sugar to grow. It is even in cigarettes. In the far east, they never cured tobacco with sugar and there was no correlation with cancer. I believe they have switched iver now. In the US where it was cured with sugar, there was a high correlation.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #44
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: SkeeterN
Stats: 4'10 and 170/115 (5 or so pounds up or down)
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: April 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagman1776 View Post
Splenda is my poison of choice...
Sugar An Unnatural Chemical
Why is sugar so devastating to our health? Sugar is pure chemical and (like
heroin) through refining has been stripped of all the natural food nutrition it originally had in the plant itself. Heroin and sugar are arrived at by
very similar processes of refinement. In producing heroin, the opium is first extracted from the poppy. The opium is then refined into morphine. The chemists then work on the morphine and further refined it into heroin. This discovery,they proclaimed, was a wonderful new non-addictive pain-killer. So they said.
Similarly, sugar is first pressed as a juice from the cane (or beet) and re-
fined into molasses. Then it is refined into brown sugar, and finally into strange white crystals C12H22O, which is an alien chemical to the human system.
A second reason why sugar harms is its addictiveness. Starting with sugar in
the baby formula, people not only develop a strong taste for sugar but an
insatiable craving that never recedes.
A third reason is the slow and insidious
damage caused by sugar.

So I just choose my poison.
Anita's Web Page
SkeeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I agree that sugar is poison. This is nothing new. Heath and fitness advocates have been stating this fact for many decades.
As for the health characteristics of AS.....There are conflicting reports, although most people seem to agree that aspartame is bad. Saccharin also has a bad rep.
Personally I use liquid splenda. Very LC.
It may not be healthy but without a pleasant tasting AS I would never have lost the weight and trimmed down so successfully.
It's pretty clear to me.
Fat is definetly bad.
Splenda may be bad (may not)
Splenda helps me lose fat
Splenda is therefore good.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:52 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Blue Skies
Stats: 224/176/165 - 5'11"
WOE: LC my way
Start Date: Feb, 2013
I am fortunate in that I never had much of a sweet tooth---although oddly seem to have a bit of a one now. I think it's because my body isn't getting all those starches it used to convert to sugar. Still, my need to substitute for sweet in my LC woe is not large. Since my use of AS is very moderate to low, I don't worry about it, and it doesn't effect me adversely. I don't get increased cravings from it, and it doesn't stall me.

I think it's a personal experimentation thing. I enjoy my cream sodas and So Delicious ice cream, both of which contain sweetners. They fit well into my woe and satisfy any little sweet itch I have and keep me from grabbing something much worse.
Blue Skies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Aleina
Stats: 224/ 172.9 31 Jan /150
WOE: Epi Paleo
Start Date: 15 Nov 2012 various WOES
I have a new theory about eating sweet. It is radical.

Sweet is for fruits only. If I liked Stevia I would probably say ok to Stevia in coffee or tea as there are no significant carbs involved. Any combination with fat or carbs makes me stall. Any artificial sweetener has made me stall. Fruits currently do not fit into my diet plan as they are too carb heavy. I am thinking of papaya as an occasional treat for the future, but not now.
Aleina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 04:49 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: scintillady
Stats: 196/196/130
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 4/7/14 (again)
Quote:
Well, besides water everything is going to have artificial sweetners in them. (Or milk). I like to drink Crystal Light, or SF French vanilla creamer in my coffee, or flavored carbonated drinks(sucralose).

I think I should stay away from Splenda and use Stevia. From what I hear, it is natural, not a chemical. I just read SO many recipes that say Splenda. Was wondering why that was the artificial sweetner of choice.
Sucralose and Splenda are the same thing, so if you want to stay away from Splenda you'll need to stay away from anything sweetened with sucralose.
scintillady is offline   Reply With Quote