Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Brand new member in need of support (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/798637-brand-new-member-need-support.html)

mrsdamon 03-03-2013 04:21 PM

Brand new member in need of support

Planning to start a low carb diet tomorrow! I could use some quick pointers and lots of support. Background: yoyo dieting my entire life. I did a low carb diet in the 90's and had huge success with it. I have decided to try again, even though it is so hard to stay on track these days! I want to lose alot of weight by June. Share your success stories please

clackley 03-03-2013 07:04 PM

Found it!

My advice is to pick a plan and read the book. If you want to start and then do those things, look up a plan on line and get started by eating within the guidelines.

One other thing that is very important to me is to plan ahead. This assures that I have the appropriate foods on hand and don't,get caught short.

This forum is a wonderful support group but there are times that posts get missed for a lot of reasons. It is up to you to bump it up and ask again. Don't get discouraged. Also don't forget that you are asking for other people's time. Lots of people just read and never post.

juliekaboolie 03-03-2013 07:29 PM

Welcome! My success has been slow, so I'm afraid I'm no help. Sorry!

svenskamae 03-03-2013 07:37 PM

Cheri has done a great job putting together information useful to new members. I think you'll find it helpful. It was very helpful to me when I started a year ago (and almost 60 pounds heavier than I am now).

Here's a link: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ma...take-look.html

I have lost an average of around a pound a week for over a year and am much happier and healthier than I was before. I am a slow loser, and sometimes have had to try new things to continue to make progress (such as doing JUDDD along with lowcarb), but even slow losses add up over time. I don't ever want to eat differently than I do now, following a very healthy low carb way of eating. I hope you find that to be an encouraging example.

Strawberry 03-03-2013 07:49 PM

Hi! Welcome to the board!!

Is there a specific plan you are going with? Sometimes its hard to give pointers, because plans vary... they all generally work if you follow them. But for eg, I'd hate to give you Protein power advice if you were following a low protein "eat fat get thin" program, you know!?

good luck with every thing!

junip3r 03-03-2013 07:56 PM

Welcome! Everyone is a great support! I'm learning too... almost 30lbs down.

doxielove 03-03-2013 08:21 PM

:welcome: I'm restarting tomorrow after a long absence and gaining back 25 of the 30 pounds I lost. :o:o My best advice is stick to the plan - once you start to cheat "just a bit" here and there, you lose control. That's what happened to me. Oh, and if you're sad or stressed or just need some encouragement, come here. These people are great! We can do this!

debstin 03-03-2013 09:18 PM

I am a new member to this site recently. Great information and support here. My weight has come off slowly but i was gaining rapidly and feeling so bad before i started eating this way last June. I am down close to 35 lbs and will continue to stay with this way of eating. Be persistent and consistent---you are worth it!!!

SunsetsOnTheBeach 03-03-2013 09:55 PM

I am new here too, although I am 4 months in to my journey. Low carb has been completely addicting for me! I am down 60lbs in 4 months and watching the scale go down has been really motivating.

Good luck, you can do it!

picklepete 03-03-2013 10:12 PM

I recommend the "crowd out" approach where you pursue and discover new favorite foods rather than dwelling on what's restricted. My kitchen is full of fish, veggies, spices, and oils I would have never given a second glance before.

Knittering 03-04-2013 08:25 AM

Welcome!! :)

The best thing you can do is read the book. Then, go shopping and stock up your new kitchen. Then, plan each day's meals ahead of time and stick to your plan. Keep it simple -- meat, eggs, healthy fats, foundation vegetables. And drink your water! :)

TheSouthernPrincess 03-04-2013 11:50 AM

Welcome! My dad did Atkins in the 90's at a starting weight of close to 600lbs!! He got down to 380 and has stayed there. He's not doing atkins anymore, he says he doesn't have the will power (don't know how he lost the will power with that much of a loss)... Anyway, it took him about a year and a half to lose it so it can be done! Hopefully this is encouraging to you, I know it helps me stay on plan!

kitcub 03-04-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picklepete (Post 16293865)
I recommend the "crowd out" approach where you pursue and discover new favorite foods rather than dwelling on what's restricted. My kitchen is full of fish, veggies, spices, and oils I would have never given a second glance before.

:goodpost:

I like the way you think! Whenever I feel in a rut, I go to the store and pick out a new vegetable I've never had, or haven't had in a a long time. Or a new type/cut of meat. Take it home and figure out how to eat it. I've discovered some of the best food that way! :up:

trishthedish 03-04-2013 02:27 PM

:welcome:

My advice is to pick a plan and then follow it to the letter for the first 14 days before you begin any customizing or tweaking to make it fit your way of life.

I have been LCing on and off (mostly off) for the better part of ten years but one year ago I adopted it has a lifestyle instead of a way to lose weight. I've averaged six pounds a month of weight loss in the process.

Good luck!

uhhuhher 03-04-2013 03:59 PM

Welcome!! I have had success in the past and have just restarted Atkins. The best advice I can give is PLAN AHEAD. Any time I have fallen off the wagon it is because I wasn't prepared. I have to pack extra snacks everywhere I go and plan my weeks meals in advance. In the beginning I like to keep it simple so I don't get overwhelmed. You can do it! We are all in (or have been) in the same boat here. Lots of support out there! Take advantage if you need it.