Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
What would you take...

I'm getting together next weekend for a few hours with long lost cousins. We haven't seen each other since 1972 (saw two of them in January at my mom's Celebration of Life, which is how we connected after all this time). We're meeting at one cousins house which is a three and a half hour drive for me. It will be a brunch and they know that I probably can't eat what they are serving and said to bring whatever I wanted to eat. I'm coming up blank. I'd like to take something that is totally easy and doesn't need any prep time once there and very little to no heating time. My first thought was cheese and salami and nuts. But, I thought I'd check with you all and see if you have any suggestions.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Definitely crustless quiche - probably a luxury one with smoked salmon and broccoli in it, or maybe Stilton and cauliflower, or a classic quiche Lorraine. Yum.
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I often bring devilled eggs to potluck settings. They don't need to be heated and people seem to like them--and I can eat them.

I would probably also bring a tossed salad and homemade salad dressing, if I were in your position. Devilled eggs and salad make an adequate meal, but others may enjoy eating them, too. Be sure to make enough for others, as well as yourself.

A third option is a selection of nice cheeses and some crackers (flax crackers for me). Again, it's filling and fits my plan, but others can enjoy eating some, too. And it doesn't require heating up.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkginger View Post
Definitely crustless quiche - probably a luxury one with smoked salmon and broccoli in it, or maybe Stilton and cauliflower, or a classic quiche Lorraine. Yum.
As usual, I want to eat whatever Darkginger posts about eating. Good suggestions!
Old 03-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Wow. I was just trying to come up with grab and go foods, but a crustless quiche lorraine is sounding really good right now. Maybe even make one for dinner tonight. Do you have an awesome crustless version?
I forgot to mention that I have to work really late Friday night, have things to do Saturday and then will drive part way on Saturday, and then up very early on Sunday to make the rest of the drive. If I cooked on Thursday night, do you think it would still be OK by Sunday? Deviled eggs are a possibility, too, but I'm not a big fan.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

I've made crustless quiches ahead a few days, or eaten them over a few days, and thought they still tasted good and caused no ill effects if not eaten right away.

Check Linda Sue's lowcarb recipe site for some good crustless quiche recipes. And once you get the basic ingredients down, you can tweak the flavoring (e.g., what veggie, which meat or fish, what kind of cheese) to fit your preferences. Do make sure that you keep the quiche cold by putting it in a cooler with frozen freezer packs when travelling (and maybe putting it in a hotel or home fridge overnight). If you can't accomodate keeping it cold, then you may want to opt for a safer option like a selection of nuts and cheeses.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shawneesioux
Stats: 170/128 Maintaining since Aug. 2001. Young 62 Y.O
WOE: just Low Carb my own style
Start Date: 01/30/01
I wouldn't put myself thru the stress of trying to take homemade LC foods.
Find out which large markets are in the destination area. Many should have plenty of LC foods available, ie, meat and cheese platters, veggie trays, etc. Most store delis even carry boiled eggs now. A quick stop before arriving at the reunion would assure fresh foods. Have a wonderful time.
shawneesioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I have picked up a rotisary chicken & salad fixings & taken that to gatherings... or even tunafish on letuce. The cold cut platter is a good idea.
I like to take my own food so I know I'll get what I need.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:40 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
I second the rotisserie chicken idea. Or a container of wings. Cheese/sausage/olive trays from the grocery.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for all the additional suggestions! I had completely forgotten about rotisserie chicken.
From the emails, it sounds like they just want me to bring something so that I will have something I know I can eat. They were very clear that they will have food for everyone and no other need to bring food. So, I kind of feel like I might be imposing if I bring a bunch of food to share. I'm starting to kind of feel awkward about this. I have to eat LC for health reasons rather than weight, so I really can't just have a "cheat" day or meal. I know they understand my situation and are being supportive so I hope it doesn't end up being weird.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Rose View Post
Thanks for all the additional suggestions! I had completely forgotten about rotisserie chicken.
From the emails, it sounds like they just want me to bring something so that I will have something I know I can eat. They were very clear that they will have food for everyone and no other need to bring food. So, I kind of feel like I might be imposing if I bring a bunch of food to share. I'm starting to kind of feel awkward about this. I have to eat LC for health reasons rather than weight, so I really can't just have a "cheat" day or meal. I know they understand my situation and are being supportive so I hope it doesn't end up being weird.
Keep us posted on how it goes, Chocolate Rose. It's nice that they accept that you need to stay on plan, instead of pushing food that isn't good for you. I don't know your friends, of course, but it sounds like if you brought enough for just you, that would be fine, but if you brought extra, that would also probably be fine. In events like this, there tends to be lots of food, and if you brought something like a platter of cheese and meat, or a whole quiche, or a rotisserie chicken, it would just go on the table with the rest of the stuff and be a sidedish for others and the basis of your whole meal. Good luck!
Old 03-03-2013, 11:05 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Stats: 237/176/150
WOE: Low Carb on my own
Start Date: October 27, 2012
I like to pick up things at Trader Joe's for events like this, like bacon wrapped scallops and stuffed mushrooms. They do require heating though. Otherwise I would just do a pepperoni/salami/cheese/olive tray.
SunsetsOnTheBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

My version of a crustless quiche is possibly the most non-stressful thing I know how to cook - it's really easy - just use 4 eggs to 250ml of double cream (HWC?), mix together, throw in a handful of cheese - and that's the basic recipe. All you have to do is add the 'filling' of your choice, pour the whole thing into an ovenproof dish, and bake at 180 degrees C (358 degrees F) for about 30-40 mins, until the top is browned and the middle doesn't wobble.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Keep us posted on how it goes, Chocolate Rose. It's nice that they accept that you need to stay on plan, instead of pushing food that isn't good for you. I don't know your friends, of course, but it sounds like if you brought enough for just you, that would be fine, but if you brought extra, that would also probably be fine. In events like this, there tends to be lots of food, and if you brought something like a platter of cheese and meat, or a whole quiche, or a rotisserie chicken, it would just go on the table with the rest of the stuff and be a sidedish for others and the basis of your whole meal. Good luck!
Thanks for the support. It's actually just going to be several cousins. Two are making the food - a breakfast casserole (probably a strata) and scones. If it was a potluck or they encouraged everyone to bring something, I wouldn't worry. But, I'm going to be the only one bringing something to eat. I'm sure it will end up being OK, but I just don't want to impose too much.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:51 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetsOnTheBeach View Post
I like to pick up things at Trader Joe's for events like this, like bacon wrapped scallops and stuffed mushrooms. They do require heating though. Otherwise I would just do a pepperoni/salami/cheese/olive tray.
Thanks! I am still leaning towards the pepperoni/salami/cheese/olive tray.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
My version of a crustless quiche is possibly the most non-stressful thing I know how to cook - it's really easy - just use 4 eggs to 250ml of double cream (HWC?), mix together, throw in a handful of cheese - and that's the basic recipe. All you have to do is add the 'filling' of your choice, pour the whole thing into an ovenproof dish, and bake at 180 degrees C (358 degrees F) for about 30-40 mins, until the top is browned and the middle doesn't wobble.
Great!! I ended up making wings last night for my dinner. I think I will make this tonight, though!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
I made your crustless quiche for dinner tonight and it was awesome! Dh even loved it and was trying to claim leftovers for his breakfast. Luckily I had already put aside a piece for my lunch tomorrow. This was so quick and simple it's going to become a regular for dinner. Thanks!
Old 03-06-2013, 05:19 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Glad you enjoyed it I think I might make one myself today, it's been a while!
Old 03-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Jaded62
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 1/1/14
Because it is a special occasion I would treat it like one.I would go by a good grocery when I got there and get some good meats,cheeses and veggies.I would buy the best and maybe some things I know I like but don`t buy often due to cost.Treat yourself !!! Hope you have fun.
Jaded62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:35 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
Most grocery stores here have "shrimp rings", basically just cooked shrimp. You could pick that up, and some low sugar ketchup and horseradish sauce to mix for cocktail sauce when you get there. Would go well with quiche, too.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I often bring shrimp rings... thaw them in advance. The ones I get come with cocktail sauce... undoubtably loaded with sugar. Let the others use that & make your own cocktail sauce for those who don't want the sugar. Ketsup is a sugar added item...

Ingredients
12 oz. tomato paste
4 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 Tablespoon mustard
1/4 cup+2 Tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

Instructions
1.Combine all ingredients and whisk until combined. You may wish to blend in order to ensure the spices are evenly mixed throughout.
2.It is best to let the ketchup sit together in the fridge for a couple of hours, or overnight, before serving so that the flavors blend together well.
3.Store in an airtight container in fridge.

Notes: Check the ingredients of your tomato paste. The only item listed should be tomatoes.
(Recipe Source unknown)

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!" "Lead me not into carb temptation!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE... but gotta stay ON it.

Last edited by Just Russ; 03-06-2013 at 04:09 PM..
Old 03-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded62 View Post
Because it is a special occasion I would treat it like one.I would go by a good grocery when I got there and get some good meats,cheeses and veggies.I would buy the best and maybe some things I know I like but don`t buy often due to cost.Treat yourself !!! Hope you have fun.
I like your idea!!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakelilydad View Post
Most grocery stores here have "shrimp rings", basically just cooked shrimp. You could pick that up, and some low sugar ketchup and horseradish sauce to mix for cocktail sauce when you get there. Would go well with quiche, too.
I forgot about SHRIMP!! Yum!!
Old 03-06-2013, 06:32 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagman1776 View Post
I often bring shrimp rings... thaw them in advance. The ones I get come with cocktail sauce... undoubtably loaded with sugar. Let the others use that & make your own cocktail sauce for those who don't want the sugar. Ketsup is a sugar added item...
Thank you!! I was just going to go look for a cocktail sauce recipe. You don't add any sweetener to your sauce?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

The recipe doesn't call for it. I'm going to try adding some Splenda next time... but haven't tried it yet.