Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   week 9 here and now I am hungry (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/798526-week-9-here-now-i-am-hungry.html)

ridethewave 03-02-2013 05:22 PM

week 9 here and now I am hungry

Why am I hungry? I have gone 8wks of LC and not once have I been hungry. All of a sudden week 9 comes and I am hungry. I am taking 1000mg of Lcarnitine 3 times a day and that doesn't seem to help. Please help.

amundson 03-02-2013 05:27 PM

Some people get hungry before a whoosh. I found that I got hungry after awhile on low carb but I forget when that happened.

Kimberli33 03-02-2013 05:50 PM

I just go with my body.Some days Im very Low Calorie LC and others I eat more,just depends.

Just Russ 03-02-2013 06:04 PM

First off, be sure some carbs or hidden sugar has not snuck into your diet... though if it's consistant, than it's probably not. Remember it is fat that kills the hunger so be sure you have enough. For instance, I felt there was not enough fat in turkey burgers & when I used beef, I was fine. I'm experiementing (though I am very sensitive) with 2 walnuts (for baking, nothing added) for more fat as a dinner desert.

DiamondDeb 03-03-2013 10:19 AM

Welcome! :welcome:

Are you hungry or craving? If you're hungry - eat a bit more on-plan food. If you're craving I'd suggest taking L-Glutamine (between meals) and/or GTF Chromium (with meals).

I listen to my body, too. It knows what it needs. I occasionally get days when I am very hungry & I've learned the best thing to do is add some extra fat & protein, maybe more veggies. It is temporary, not a permanent increase.

biancasteeplechase 03-03-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiamondDeb (Post 16292718)
Are you hungry or craving?

A very important distinction!

One thing I like about the Duke University no sugar/no starch diet is that you can eat whenever you're physically hungry. Some foods (like eggs and most unprocessed meats) are unlimited, so there's always something you can eat.

ridethewave 03-03-2013 03:25 PM

thanks all. No cravings, just feel hungry. I am staying away from sugar free juices for now and diet sodas. I am remembering that I want to stay in ketosis so be very careful about what I eat. I have taken away the occasional almonds that I eat too. This is the only thing I have added to Lc. I will let you all know as days goes on.

trishthedish 03-03-2013 04:11 PM

I have hungrier days each month. I eat more fats and protein and keep everything else the same.

raindroproses 03-09-2013 10:51 PM

Another thing I was thinking of... are you female? Because I notice my hunger levels can fluctuate when I'm close to my cycle/during my cycle due to shifts in my hormone levels. I also have PCOS so your mileage may vary in that case, but I know a lot of women experience increased hunger during hormonal shifts. Cravings as well of course, but also an increased sense of hunger.

Ntombi 03-09-2013 11:22 PM

I get hungry while in ketosis. It's just a less urgent hunger, like, yeah, I should eat in the next hour or two, instead of the OMG, I must eat something RIGHT NOW, or my stomach will cave in hunger.

And it takes several hours after a meal for me to get hungry, like 6-8 hours. Which is convenient. ;)

Lola Bartez 03-09-2013 11:36 PM

a good way to tell if you're really hungry or not is to think of your least favorite low carb meal. If you could eat that - then you're hungry. If you couldn't - then it's a craving. If you're hungry then eat!

shortcut 03-10-2013 03:39 AM

I have been low carbing for several years and find that for me, it just runs in cycles. I am not particularly hungry most of the time, but every few weeks or so, I have days when I could unhinge my jaw and tip back the refrigerator. I usually just go with it, as long as I stay on plan.

babycakez 03-10-2013 08:10 PM

11/02/11 la Bartez;16306755]a good way to tell if you're really hungry or not is to think of your least favorite low carb meal. If you could eat that - then you're hungry. If you couldn't - then it's a craving. If you're hungry then eat![/QUOTE]

Love this! I will have to remember this for next time I am "craving" something.

Punkin 03-11-2013 04:51 AM

Things that usually make me hungry on low carb include: eating too many carbs, eating not enough fat (especially at one meal), smelling high carb foods, and eating too few calories. The last one usually means that my body has shifted into downregulation (ie. my resting metabolism has dropped) or will be shifting soon. I find if I am eating just below my daily calorie requirement I am ok.