LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Kriss
Stats: 145/142/115
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 1/3/14
is this a plateau?

On 2/17 I succeeded in getting into Ketosis and have only lost 3 pounds. I dont cheat, I exercise. Still in Ketosis. This is why I stopped the last time.
I get frustrated and give up with an instant stop in weight loss.

So frustrated. Just venting

Im in my brothers wedding in May and have to buy my dress (thank goodness its mismatched/pick your own dress type of bridesmaids dress so i have time. But i don't want to be the fat bridesmaid. Not so much cause of the wedding but the weekend in Vegas prior too.....don't want to be the fat friend....I'm so close to the 120's (approx 125) where i feel that i don't look like a fatty.....still weight to lose but I'm ok with being social and stuff. Anyone know what I mean??

Anyone have tips on boosting weight loss.
Kriss is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
At 136 lbs, you're the fat friend?

I hope you measured at the beginning of your journey. You might be losing inches and the pounds still have to catch up.

Mostly, the first two weeks are water weight anyway, so you might have lost the water and are now getting to the fat burning part of Atkins. You're pretty close to your goal already, so losing three pounds in those first two weeks sounds about right. Because you don't have much to lose, it won't fall off like some people you see, but it'll still come off, if you're doing what you need to do.

Remember that exercising puts stress on muscles, and they need to repair. That means they hold onto water to aid the cells. Exercise can slow down scale loss.

If you're in ketosis, but eating too many calories, you might be maintaining. That number is different for everyone. If you don't have a lot of lean body mass, your calorie requirements are lower than someone at the same weight with more lean mass.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 03-02-2013 at 02:13 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
At 136 lbs, you're the fat friend?

I hope you measured at the beginning of your journey. You might be losing inches and the pounds still have to catch up.

Mostly, the first two weeks are water weight anyway, so you might have lost the water and are now getting to the fat burning part of Atkins. You're pretty close to your goal already, so losing three pounds in those first two weeks sounds about right. Because you don't have much to lose, it won't fall off like some people you see, but it'll still come off, if you're doing what you need to do.

Remember that exercising puts stress on muscles, and they need to repair. That means they hold onto water to aid the cells. Exercise can slow down scale loss.

If you're in ketosis, but eating too many calories, you might be maintaining. That number is different for everyone. If you don't have a lot of lean body mass, your calorie requirements are lower than someone at the same weight with more lean mass.

Ntombi is right on with every point.

The whole month of January, I barely lost any weight because muscles were repairing themselves and retaining water. February was great because I stopped the hard exercising, yet have been the same weight for the last five days now (stalled). Not worried as it'll go down when bod decides to move. The closer I get to Goal, the harder will be the loss. But the secret is to just hang in there.

I belong to the Calorie Counting Challenge for March - a month to month Challenge - which keeps me and my fellow posters on track.

KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Are you sure you have a caloric deficit? Just eating low carb isn't enough if you eat enough to provide your body with sufficient fuel. The body only taps into our fat stores when it needs energy, so you need to eat less than you use.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Just as an FYI, you can GAIN while fully in ketosis. Like Ntombi said, must have a calorie deficit too. Put your calories in a tracker and see where your at.
CindyCRNA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thanks everyone. Yeah I dont have a lot to lose so I guess it makes sense that i will be slow to weight loss. I did measure at the beginning. Im TRYING not to be obsessive (failing miserably) I know my jeans fit the same....always my clue to whether im succeeding or not.

Im sure I have a calorie deficit. My guess is it is the exercise thing....
Does the weight come off quicker without exercise??

Ntombi......yes at 133 (i dont have access to change that yet) I am the "fat friend" because Im all of 4'10" tall......i should be closer to 105....but i will settle for 115 cause lets face it Im almost 40 years old.....no matter what i look like.....the body is still old!!
Old 03-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
For some people the weight does come off more quickly without exercise, but of course there are other benefits.

If you do exercise, I wouldn't add extra calories based on some machine's or computer's calculation. That's a big pitfall; people simply eat more when they exercise.

Given a choice, I would recommend weight training over aerobic exercise, because it helps either preserve, or even build, lean muscle mass, which is what you want. You want a lot of that, no matter what you weigh, because that's what burns more calories and helps you look good naked.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
Does the weight come off quicker without exercise??
Unfortunately exercise tends to be a neutral activity when it comes to weight loss (unless you are exercising like an Olympic athlete) but it will help with toning, which makes you look better as you lose. I'd rather lose inches than pounds, you know?
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
Unfortunately exercise tends to be a neutral activity when it comes to weight loss (unless you are exercising like an Olympic athlete) but it will help with toning, which makes you look better as you lose. I'd rather lose inches than pounds, you know?

Oh yes!!! Id choose inches over pounds any day please!!