Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Cut out all artificial sweeteners (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/798312-cut-out-all-artificial-sweeteners.html)

floridagirl6 03-02-2013 06:22 AM

Cut out all artificial sweeteners

I usually lose weight very slowly - and I don't have a lot to lose. On Monday I stopped using any artificial sweeteners. I had been using Splenda in my coffee (1-2 packs per cup). Well, I weighed myself this morning and hsve lost 3.5 pounds!!!

It hasn't been too hard to give AS up - and the loss is worth it!:)

svenskamae 03-02-2013 07:07 AM

Great! I'm glad you got such excellent results so quickly and aren't missing the AS.

Keep it up, and you'll find that unsweetened foods like cream and veggies and fruit taste much sweeter and more delicious naturally than they did when you were adding sweeteners.

If I follow a recipe that has regular or articial sweetener listed (say, for a salad dressing or condiment), I just leave that ingredient out, and I really don't miss it. I have come to like a little natural tanginess in some foods. (Of course, I don't try to make desserts like lowcarb cakes, but I don't miss them, either.)

Bobbin 03-02-2013 08:54 AM

Awesome Floridagirl!! I'm happy you've had an easy time of it too. I have done the same thing this week, starting on Tuesday though. I lost 2 lbs!! I've had a headache all week, but I"m also trying to fight off a cold...

JMacB 03-02-2013 06:47 PM

I'm cutting out artificial sweetener starting Monday. Yes, I should just quit, but I'm giving myself tomorrow to enjoy my mio for one last day. Goodbye Splenda, I'll miss you Torani and Da Vinci...

Of course, what I really hope to say goodbye to is this stall I'm in. I hope this is the solution, and not cutting dairy.

Bobbin 03-03-2013 08:23 PM

I've decided the cold I've been trying to fight off since the day after I cut out aspartame and splenda is actually withdrawal symptoms. I've had a bad headache off and on for days, feeling a little off physically as well. I hope this doesn't last long.

Reta 03-04-2013 03:43 AM

bobbin, it will be over soon. You can do it.

Bobbin 03-10-2013 11:22 AM

I think I'm allowed to post a link....Here's an article from Huff post today talking about side effects of A.S. - happy to be 12 days diet coke / splenda free. I've had persistent headaches, but they seem to be getting better. I'm also 6 lbs down....take it as you wish, I am NOT complaining! Edit to add, I have about 2 cups of coffee in the AM, with cream and pure stevia drops, but nothing else sweet.

Mark Hyman, MD: How Diet Soda Makes You Fat (and Other Food and Diet Industry Secrets)

Good to see them also saying fat is NOT the enemy, sugar and carbs are.

shelby'snana 03-10-2013 11:38 AM

Very good info. :)

I have been cutting back, need to just stop them entirely !

A&F 03-10-2013 11:43 AM

That is fantastic!

I discovered this weekend, that while I usually have one splenda a day in my morning coffee, I can't do the artificial sweetener in Diet Coke. Just one small diet coke sent me into hunger over drive.

I should probably join you and cut out the splenda too.

beachmom3 03-12-2013 05:23 AM

Thanks for posting that article! I've really struggled with getting off AS. I have a feeling that it may be contributing to my migraines, so I'm definitely cutting back now.

oceanlover66 03-12-2013 01:19 PM

so what do you drink then, if you have NO A.S. at all? Water?(Bleck)....no sugar brewed teas? I do not have a problem with no sugar in my baking, but it seems you are pretty limited as far as drinks. And seltzer water. BLECK. But great job cutting it out. Just intersted in hearing your drink choices. Oh, and don't we have "hidden" sugar in everything we eat?

Wanderlustrous 03-12-2013 01:22 PM

Hi! I'm new!

I'm on my last day of week 4 today, and I've been stalled since day 10. I think it may be the artificial sweetener I've had. I guess I should be giving it up as well. :(

Knittering 03-12-2013 01:29 PM

Good job! :)

I never thought I'd be able to drink coffee without any sort of sweetener, but now it actually tastes better to me this way. No strange chemical aftertaste!

Wanderlustrous 03-13-2013 07:01 AM

That's great that you're able to really taste the foods and drinks you consume. I'm on my way.

This morning marks the end of 4 weeks on Atkins. I lost a total of 4 pounds. That's a pound a week. Not very impressive for most Atkins-goers, but for me, it was fantastic. I've been on a balanced diet and moderate exercise, for about 5 years now, I NEVER lose weight. From January until Mid-February, I actually gained weight with a moderate approach. This is just what has to be.

Yesterday I had a bad day. I ate a few more carbs than I should have. It was the first time I derailed for the month, and for that reason, I didn't feel badly about it. I ate 2 jellos with whipped cream, 2 servings of pudding, 2 girl scout cookies, and 1 glass of white wine.

Going forward, I'm going to be stricter, meticulously measuring my carbs this month. I'm also going to give up artificial sweetener. My back and head have healed from a snowboarding incident, so I'm going to start exercising again tonight. These things, plus the new thyroid medication I'm on, plus my new supplements, minus my birth control should equal weight loss.

Here's to month 2!

Bobbin 03-13-2013 09:10 PM

Wanderlustrous (are you a yoga fan per chance?) - I'm so happy you're ok after your snowboarding accident! I live in CO, but haven't had the nerve to try it!

Oceanlover66 Yes, I drink water, tea (sometimes plain, or with coconut oil, or stevia drops,), sparling water with lemon....you say it's "blech" - of course a sweet, cold sparkling drink is more appealing...I'm thinking of my health here, so I'm learning drink what will nourish my body, not what will (IMO of course) poison it.

Wanderlustrous 03-14-2013 08:40 AM

Hi Bobbin! I used to do hot yoga when I lived in the city. There are less opportunities in the suburbs where I live. I suppose I could purchase a DVD, but I have so many work out DVDs as it is.

I'm getting really frustrated. You hear about people dropping 20 lbs+ the first month. I lost between 4 and 5. It's not like I'm close to my goal weight. I have another 60 to lose. I'm trying to stay positive.

Hope you have a happy Thursday :)

Bobbin 03-14-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wanderlustrous (Post 16315753)
Hi Bobbin! I used to do hot yoga when I lived in the city. There are less opportunities in the suburbs where I live. I suppose I could purchase a DVD, but I have so many work out DVDs as it is.

I'm getting really frustrated. You hear about people dropping 20 lbs+ the first month. I lost between 4 and 5. It's not like I'm close to my goal weight. I have another 60 to lose. I'm trying to stay positive.

Hope you have a happy Thursday :)

Thanks, you too!! There could be a LOT of factors in why you're losing slowly - age, hidden carbs, inflamation, lack of sleep, stress, medications....I have been working on getting losing again for 8 months now, and it's JUST NOW starting to move again....good luck to you!!

floridagirl6 03-14-2013 04:59 PM

I drink coffee with 1 tblspn of hwc; I drink tea plain; and I drink water.

JMacB 03-14-2013 05:15 PM

I've been making iced herbal teas sweetened with stevia at night to sub for my dearly discarded mio. It's really nice! I'm using less and less stevia each night, hoping tot get to the point of having none. But I need some flavor to my water, apparently.

picklepete 03-14-2013 05:17 PM

I'm really fond of my sodastream machine. They have a line of unsweetened fruit flavors, and of course you can use fresh lemon/lime or soak things like peach slices, cherries, etc.

MinnieSkinnie 03-14-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picklepete (Post 16316621)
I'm really fond of my sodastream machine. They have a line of unsweetened fruit flavors, and of course you can use fresh lemon/lime or soak things like peach slices, cherries, etc.

Picklepete, they are totally unsweetened? i didn't know they had that - i need to check it out! Where do you buy?

picklepete 03-14-2013 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinnieSkinnie (Post 16316663)
Picklepete, they are totally unsweetened? i didn't know they had that - i need to check it out! Where do you buy?

In my area, Target and some kitchen-type stores will have a Sodastream display (their website will list your closest vendor). The brand is "my water" and comes in lime, orange, or raspberry.

MinnieSkinnie 03-14-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picklepete (Post 16316813)
In my area, Target and some kitchen-type stores will have a Sodastream display (their website will list your closest vendor). The brand is "my water" and comes in lime, orange, or raspberry.

I'm in MN too so i'll try Target - pretty sure I've seen the display. love Raspberry. it's carbonated, right? probably a silly question. lol

MinnieSkinnie 03-14-2013 08:18 PM

so, another silly question - is Truvia considered a natural or artificial sweetener??

I like to sweeten my tea just a little!

This will be tough but i want to give it a try for a few weeks. See if I can live without my Diet Pepsi. I've not been seen without one in my hand since 1983.

picklepete 03-14-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MinnieSkinnie (Post 16316836)
I'm in MN too so i'll try Target - pretty sure I've seen the display. love Raspberry. it's carbonated, right? probably a silly question. lol

Mywater is a tiny concentrate bottle. You add 1/4 tsp per pint of liquid. It's "meant" for the carbonated water you produce with a sodastream, but if you don't own one it'll work in any plain club soda.

MinnieSkinnie 03-14-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by picklepete (Post 16316850)
Mywater is a tiny concentrate bottle. You add 1/4 tsp per pint of liquid. It's "meant" for the carbonated water you produce with a sodastream, but if you don't own one it'll work in any plain club soda.

oh true! :up: i could try the flavors out in club soda - if i love it and think i'll drink lots, then i could get the sodastream.

Knittering 03-15-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

See if I can live without my Diet Pepsi. I've not been seen without one in my hand since 1983.
LOL! I was the same way with my Coke Zero, but it's been over a month since I've had one. (And not drinking it saves $$, too.)

MinnieSkinnie 03-15-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knittering (Post 16317468)
LOL! I was the same way with my Coke Zero, but it's been over a month since I've had one. (And not drinking it saves $$, too.)

it's a MN thread! lol

It's going to be tough but i am going to give it a try.

have you noticed better weight loss or any other benefits thus far??

I've given up so many things in life, i swore i'd never give up my lovely cola but it might be time.... sigh.....:cry:

Yvonnem2000 03-15-2013 08:21 PM

I never thought I'd give up sweeteners, either. I always joked I'd probably die of Crystal Lite poisoning some day. But I quit sweeteners Sunday. i've been craving sweet every afternoon. I hope it goes away. I'm mourning, because one of the best things about low-carb was being able to eat whipped cream with cream cheese. Like having cheesecake every day. But at this point I'm willing to try anything to see if I can actually lose a little weight. I've cut nuts, sweeteners, limit cheese to two ounces a day, and cream/sour cream to 1/4 cup/day. I hope it makes a difference!

Thanks for this thread! It's very encouraging.

MinnieSkinnie 03-15-2013 08:46 PM

ok i'm willling to give it a go once stock up on reinforcements. lol

Monday morning!