Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #31
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pippa
Stats: Start:156/current: 144.4/goal: 135 (5'5")
WOE: Atkins Induction / nut ketosis 70% fat
Start Date: Restart Jan 20, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagman1776 View Post
I am switching to real butter... Cooking with it. Tonight I had more skinless chicken... this time I cooked in butter with my salad (mostly letuce & cucumber, with a couple of grape tomatoes cut up for color) & a couple of walnuts for desert. (There are less than 5 carbs in 1 oz of (baking, nothing added) walnuts but I'm very sensitive so am limiting to 1/2 oz.)
Atkins (1972) I see 40% fat/ 60% protein. Sorry, I should have stuck a bookmark in. If you are hungry, you need more fats... fats kill the hunger.
I'm curious why you are using skinless chicken? Is it on purpose? I have noticed it is almost impossible to find chicken breasts on the bone, much less with the skin still attached. Chicken cooks so much better on the bone, and from what I've been reading, we really do need the essentials that come from the bone when cooked (for joint health, among other things).
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #32
Rod
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rod
Stats: 5'10" 48yo 190/165/155
WOE: LCHF/IF
Start Date: February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heheher View Post
Melted butter goes great with any meat.
and it goes great on veggies, too! I just bought my first jar of ghee (clarified butter) to add to the mix.
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
I'm curious why you are using skinless chicken? Is it on purpose? I have noticed it is almost impossible to find chicken breasts on the bone, much less with the skin still attached. Chicken cooks so much better on the bone, and from what I've been reading, we really do need the essentials that come from the bone when cooked (for joint health, among other things).
I agree with you and I have gotten into more of a habit of buying a whole chicken and cooking it in the oven for a couple of hours, skin on. Much tastier and better for us. It lasts a few meals also.
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
Because I'm on my own for breakfasts & lunches. My DW does dinners. It was on sale this week.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #35
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
That's weird. I only buy split chicken breasts, which are on the bone and have skin. The brand I buy (Foster Farms--no "enhancements") is often on sale for $.99/lb here in SoCal. I love cooking it on the bone. Even if I choose to take it off the bone later, like for stir fry, I prefer to keep the bones for broth.

I can't remember the last time I bought boneless skinless chicken breasts. They're not my cup of tea.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
Start Date: 3/18/11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
and it goes great on veggies, too! I just bought my first jar of ghee (clarified butter) to add to the mix.
Have you ever made your own ghee?
Heheher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I never heard of Ghee? I don't think it's Yankee Cuisine. I like my butter fresh from the farm.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:56 PM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagman1776 View Post
I never heard of Ghee? I don't think it's Yankee Cuisine. I like my butter fresh from the farm.
Ghee is butter that has been clarified and cooked a little so it has a nutty taste. It is solid at room temperature and does not need refrigeration (because the milk solids have been removed through the clarification process). It is the fat of choice in Indian cooking, and can be purchased in jars in Indian and Asian groceries.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #39
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I'm finding it is difficult for me to get enough fat in my day. I no longer eat dairy other than organic butter & eat very simple foods.

I'm using extra coconut oil when cooking but I still come up short. I'm going to have to get more creative.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:56 PM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
Start Date: 3/18/11
You could try the coconut oil candies or coconut bombs. What are they called y'all?

Anyway, I use unsweetened coconut and coconut oil, sweeten with a little stevia (you could use you favorite sweetener) whirl it all in a ninja or blender and pour into the little mini cup cake papers and chill. You can add almonds or pecans or even do a little of the coconut bark (coconut oil, cocoa powder and sweetener) on top.
Heheher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:18 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: johnsa37
Stats: 155.4 (post-partum) /155.4/130
WOE: Low carb to drop the baby weight :)
Start Date: Dec. 1, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
I make an herb/garlic butter than I keep on hand to top lean meat like fish or chicken (or even red meat that's gotten a little dry). It's also great on veggies.

Just soften a stick or two of butter, crush a clove of garlic, mix the butter and garlic and some herbs (I like rosemary and savory), and then put in a small bowl and refrigerate.

Or use a cardboard roll (toilet paper for one stick of butter, paper towel for two), and cut the upper third off it. Line it with waxed paper and put your softened herb butter into it. Wrap the waxed paper around the top and refrigerate. This gives you a "log" of herbed butter that's very easy to cut a pat off for flavoring and topping food.
This is a great idea!! Thanks!! I always wondered how I could shape herbed butter... I always just make it in a little bowl.
johnsa37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LadyN
Stats: 299/232/130
WOE: Atkins 72/IF/dairy free
Start Date: 08/20/2012 Restart
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I'm finding it is difficult for me to get enough fat in my day. I no longer eat dairy other than organic butter & eat very simple foods.

I'm using extra coconut oil when cooking but I still come up short. I'm going to have to get more creative.
I don't eat dairy anymore either, and I find that using bacon fat, EVOO, and CO are plenty to keep me up on fat. I find that using about 3 tbsp CO in my Coffee everyday and that along with having the fattier cuts of meat and using EVOO to make my own salad dressings or even drizzle over my veggies is enough fat for each day for me. I don't snack much so nuts are not something I rely on to help up fat intake. I just make sure I use good quality oils on salads and veggies.

Make some of the fat bombs if you are still falling short. Just don't feel like you have to force it down! Try some different oils like walnut oil, macadamia oil, toasted sesame oil in homemade sauces to add variety and enough fat. I also incorporate Coconut milk into recipes instead of cream and that helps too!
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me Phil 4:13

Mini Goal: 250 met in May
Mini Goal: 200
Mini goal #2: For my current wardrobe to be too big (26-28) May hit size 22-24!
Next Goal: size 16-18 by BDAY in March
Walk 3 days a week
LadyN is offline   Reply With Quote