Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
RANT: The well meant, but not so great dishes at dinner parties...

So I was at the birthday dinner for my MIL, and earlier in the day my DBF was over there at his parents' place to help out with a few things. He casually asked what was for dinner, and of course, everything contained either wheat, starches or sugar. MIL then suggested that the layered salad would be fine, as it contained none of those, and would I be ok eating that? DBF said yes.

A couple of hours later we arrive, and I took some salad. BAD MISTAKE! Never think that a diabetic has any clue of what LC is! (I mean, that is what insulin injections are for; to control diabetes type II....) The salad had tons of miracle whip in it. I didn't know, and ate some. Afterwards, I asked her how she got the dressing so creamy.... I thought she would say mayonnaise... Well, you can guess the answer! Here in Germany, miracle whip (or Miracel Whip as it is called here) has tons of sugar, and also wheat derived starches for thickeners.

I have a wheat allergy, so if I don't have my anti histamines with me and take one a couple hours beforehand and eat wheat products I spend the next few hours in the bathroom... Let's just say, not only do I have a sugar hangover, but I now have had a terrible time with stomach and bowels since about 9pm last night.
It's still not ok.

Teaches me to eat beforehand and not to automatically assume that people read labels or understand that NO sugar, NO wheat or wheat derived products, and NO starches is actually understood. Most people think that a little will be ok and I won't notice... Well, my stomach and bowels certainly noticed!!! Also, I'm noticing a dry spot on my face again, so I'm sincerely hoping that I'm not getting another bout of eczema from this! It took me a few weeks to get rid of the last bout!

I am now flushing out my system with plenty of water, ACV and some dirt, and will have a very low carb day, hopefully that will take care of the whole thing and I won't spend weeks suffering from this again. REALLY ANNOYING.

Also, because I've not taken any antihistamines and eaten any wheat like products since Jan 2nd, my body is much more sensitive to smaller amounts, and reacts much quicker.

Another lesson learned. So annoying. At least, most people do this out of lack of understanding what LC is, so I can't really blame them. I should have just eaten before going!

Thanks for listening (reading ) to my rant! Can't really go on about this to DBF, they are his parents and actually really lovely, so I can't really nag to him, LOL! Now that it's out, I can move on, LOL!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2013, 12:56 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Oh, that sucks, I'm so sorry!

Miracle Whip is so gross, it is full of an amazing amount of crap. I loved it as a kid, but now, just give me plain old mayo.

ETA: this is the ingredient list I found for Miracle Whip.

INGREDIENTS: , WATER, VINEGAR, SOYBEAN OIL, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, SALT, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: , EGG YOLKS, CELLULOSE GEL, MUSTARD FLOUR, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, POTASSIUM SORBATE, [PRESERVATIVE] , XANTHAN GUM, CELLULOSE GUM, SPICE, PAPRIKA, SUCRALOSE, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, (SWEETENERS) , NATURAL FLAVOR, DRIED GARLIC

Last edited by Ntombi; 03-01-2013 at 01:09 AM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:57 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

I googled the ingredients... This stuff is so, so wrong!!!!

Never bought or used or ate it before yesterday evening. Never ever again!
Old 03-01-2013, 01:09 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

I just did too! I edited my post to include them. YUCK!
Old 03-01-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

YUK! the one in the USA is even more gross than what they sell here...
We don't have soybean oil or HFCS in it in the German/European version...
Old 03-01-2013, 01:20 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gee, aren't we lucky.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:52 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Yup. We are a few years behind you guys on the soybean oil and the HFCS...

It's coming though... The other day I was reading the ingredients on a package of ground beef and it contained vegetable protein... Whatever, it's all going to hell in the western world when we look at food...

Everyone wants to have food for low prices, this is what we get: contaminated horsemeat in our so called beef ready meals, battery eggs labelled as organic eggs, HFCS in everything, and vegetable protein in our ground meats to make them cheaper.

This is why I prefer eating less and buying from the source wherever possible. A sad state of affairs IMO.

This is also why most people have no clue and are so uninformed, as well as the blind trust people have in governments. In general, I have nothing against our government, but I find it sad and awful at the same time how much misinformation they allow to be out there regarding food and nutrition only for the benefit of their own pockets and honour. They just don't want to admit they've been betting on the wrong horse all these years.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:14 AM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Ingredients on a package of ground beef. Good lord.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:15 AM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

BTW, I know I'm up too late when I start conversing with you in real time. I was planning on being in bed already, but I still have to walk and feed my dog!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:32 AM   #10
Blabbermouth!!!

Seriously, I hope you are in bed!!!! Sleep well, Ntombi!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:33 AM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Going to bed now. Good night!
Old 03-01-2013, 06:36 AM   #12
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Since you have an actual allergy to wheat and other sensitivities, I doubt that other people, regardless how well-intentioned, can accommodate your needs without specific instructions.

Let me share what my former pastor used to do. He is a Type 1 diabetic who always struggles to minimize his insulin and control his blood sugar [as he aged, he suffered severe complications despite his efforts]. He was totally faithful to his diet, which was very stringent. As you can imagine, a pastor gets a lot of invitations to dinner.

When I invited him to dinner, he told me that he had to be very careful what he ate and would like the opportunity to go over the menu with me when I planned it. I then asked about any particular requirements, and he was very clear about his needs.

Later, when I had a tentative menu, I phoned him, and he asked questions about every dish I'd planned--ingredients, brands, etc., etc. I didn't mind at all because I think it's critical to assist guests who have dietary restrictions.

By doing it this way, he had no problems with the dinner at all, and we were all able to enjoy the meal together.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Leo, the pastor is a lucky man that so many people actually take an interest in providing proper nourishment for his ailments. I am not so lucky. My MIL an FIL and many, many others are well intentioned, but do not listen. Sometimes I think when you get an invite and are asked about allergies, the least people should do (since they asked) is actually listen.
My MIL and FIL are just not capable of understanding. They grew up in a time where convenience foods were new and exciting, and marketed as such. Because of this, and the belief that if it is allowed to be sold than it cannot be that bad, they just don't get why I cannot eat stuff with modified wheat starches and the like.

My MIL is a diabetic and has to inject insulin. I do not for the life of me understand why she does not get it more. I guess her Dr is to blame too because he has not got any idea that diabetes could be better managed in combination with a healthy LC diet. And MIL is also of the belief that whatever the Dr says is true. (she is on a low fat, low sugar high carb diet)

DBF has actually told them about my allergy and we have provided them a list of ingredients that they need to watch out for when they want to cook for us. It seems that this talk and the list have disappeared from their minds.
Yesterday MIL acted all surprised that I could not eat battered chicken schnitzel.
I. GIVE. UP. It's actually easier to eat something at home or actually easier to order something in a restaurant than trying to make clear to MIL and FIL that I cannot eat any wheat or wheat derived products, nor do I eat sugar or starches.

I probably confuse them too much. Sometimes people are just resistant to understanding anything outside of their own comfort zone.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Ugh, Miracle Whip is revolting!! My MiL uses it in stuff and calls in "mayo" no matter how many times I correct her. Fortunately I can taste the difference immediately and refuse to eat anything contaminated with it. (DH and I tend to bring a lot of our own food to her house.)
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Karerose
Start Date: late 2003
I've always hated Miracle Whip which actually surprises me because I always loved sugar.

I was always disappointing when someone would say something had mayo when it really had Miracle Whip. I could never understand how the people that loved it and used it wouldn't make that distinction when talking about it, afterall they wouldn't think of using actual mayonaise.

I had a discussion about a year ago with someone about the difference and I was pretty sure that Miracle Whip had lots of sugar and mayo didn't, but they were sure it was the opposite.
Karerose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Stats: 355/293/250 (1st goal)
WOE: Kamikaze Atkin's
Start Date: Dec 1, 2003 (first time) 10/18/12 (last time)
When I'm presented with a dish that appears to be made with mayo but tastes strangely SWEET, I always ask if it's mayo or Miracle Whip. Most people think they're interchangeable, unfortunately.

One of my favorite Japanese restaurants sells mussels with "mayo" and cheddar cheese on top. Unfortunately, the "mayo" is miracle whip because I can't eat them for how sweet they are.
Melle's_Sweetheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
Whenever my FIL invites me, DH and DD over for a cookout, dinner, or whatnot, I have come to find out I have to watch what I eat at the dinners. The hamburgers that his GF makes on the grill whenever they grill out are so dry it's hard to choke them down (extra lean ground beef ) and I can't doctor them up with mayo (he uses Miracle Whip) or ketchup (HFCS). Even the relish they use is filled with HFCS. The sliced cheese is "cheese product" ,FIL drinks milk like it is going out of style and the fridge is filled with regular soda (even though I don't drink soda anymore, a diet soda would be better than nothing I guess) So I usually end up with an overdry burger, coffee and water.

The kicker? FIL is diabetic.
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #18
Blabbermouth!!!

That makes me sad.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
On my first time on Atkins, I brought a lot of own food or ate before we went or both. I find it very wise to NEVER go anywhere hungry! I'm reminding myself of all those lessons learned... and also trying to do better this time around...
Anyrate, if I attend an event & find I can't eat enough to satisfy my needs THEN I am miserable. We have stopped at McD to get me a bunless burger on the way home too many times to count.
It is a shame if you are invited somewhere & are mislead about what food is planned. Too many people should learn about ingredients but choose not to. That salad could have had dressing on the side or portions set asside for you without.

This time around, wife is reading up on LC & we're talking about how it works. I am keeping a food diary & with notes on my hunger. I'm expecting that this will let me fne tune my intake needs.

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!" "Lead me not into carb temptation!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE... but gotta stay ON it.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #20
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
Oh, that sucks, I'm so sorry!

Miracle Whip is so gross, it is full of an amazing amount of crap. I loved it as a kid, but now, just give me plain old mayo.

ETA: this is the ingredient list I found for Miracle Whip.

INGREDIENTS: , WATER, VINEGAR, SOYBEAN OIL, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, SALT, CONTAINS 2% OR LESS OF: , EGG YOLKS, CELLULOSE GEL, MUSTARD FLOUR, ARTIFICIAL COLOR, POTASSIUM SORBATE, [PRESERVATIVE] , XANTHAN GUM, CELLULOSE GUM, SPICE, PAPRIKA, SUCRALOSE, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, (SWEETENERS) , NATURAL FLAVOR, DRIED GARLIC

Oh, I LOVE Miracle Whip!!! Especially the day after Thanksgiving with turkey on soft white bread. I don't eat it.....but it is good!!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nelle Belle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimosa23 View Post
I am now flushing out my system with plenty of water, ACV and some dirt, and will have a very low carb day, hopefully that will take care of the whole thing and I won't spend weeks suffering from this again.
I have to ask, dirt?
Nelle Belle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:44 PM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: wyterayven
Stats: 275.8/222.8/175 6 feet tall
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Start over date: Jan 01, 2013
She probably means edible clay. I purchased some for myself and for my dogs. For me I didnt see any benefit, and have discontinued, nor for the dogs, but I have one with bone cancer, and give it to her just to make sure she is getting the minerals she needs.

Lots of people swear by it though for cleansing the system.
wyterayven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #23
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelle Belle View Post
I have to ask, dirt?
Diatomaceous Earth.... There is a huge thread on the JUDDD boards about it.