Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kellysue24
Stats: 279/250/200 (first goal)/150 (ultimate goal)
WOE: I'll try anything once
Start Date: September 3, 2009
Induction Food at the Movies

What do you guys take to the movies? I don't even want to be tempted for popcorn so I am taking snacks, but not sure what to bring.
kellysue24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I've been known to bring a baggie with 1/4 cup of salted nuts or an Atkins bar. I've also brought individually wrapped cheese like babybels.

Now I try to just eat at meals, and not at social occasions and amusements like the movies. Personally, I'd buy a diet soda or a bottle of water if I wanted something at the movies.

But I know you are just starting out, and it's fine if you bring an on-plan movie snack.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
I, too, bring nuts or cheese. Some theaters have pickles and this would be a good option. In a pinch, a bunless hotdog, but some hotdogs have quite a few carbs in them.
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
I'll smuggle in a can of roasted salted nuts from the popcorn-section of the grocery. (As opposed to the produce or baking areas.) They're usually small cans, with the nuts well-roasted, as opposed to the lightly-roasted ones that I usually buy, so they really are a treat.

Or I'll bring some roasted seaweed snacks. (I really like these when I want to eat something salty, but am not actually HUNGRY.)

I also make sure I've eaten before I go -- makes it a WHOLE lot easier!

And if you need a drink, let someone ELSE be the one to walk to the concession stand for you, while you grab a seat. (And make sure they know you can't eat crap, so they don't "surprise" you with popcorn or Junior Mints.)
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Slim Jims or beef jerky and cheese, or maybe salami or pepperoni.

BTW, she asked for induction foods, nuts are not allowed on induction.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Seems like most cinemas have coffee now, so I'm all about that.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
Funny, because I used to take nuts, Atkins bars, whatever else was LC legal....and then I discovered I didn't really even want those snacks at the movies. I'm good with just getting a drink.
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:43 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Moderate carb JUDDD
Start Date: February 2010
Since I work at a movie theater, I actually brought up the idea with the manager about adding a few LC snacks to the concession menu, not just for people that eat LC, but also diabetics. Something like beef jerky or even a small selection of SF candies. Nothing ever came of it though. The only selection they have as of now is a hot dog without the bun with a cup of chees. and I'm not paying $4.75 for a bunless hotdog or $4.50 for a cup of coffee even though I have broke and bought a $4.75 bottle of water before. I usually buy snacks at the convience store a few doors down before seeing a movie though. Green tea, a small bag of pork rinds and some pepperoni is my go to snack that I usually sneak in.
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
Our "Date Night" is usually dinner & a movie. She might get a small popcorn or bring a snack bar as desert but by the time I've finished my steak & salad, I don't want anything. I only drink water at dinner as anything tasty I'll over consume (for my bladder size). I never make it through a movie w/o a bathroom run so I don't want to drink any extra... possibly requiring 2!

If I felt I had to have something I would choose a Slim Jim or Jerky type item but they are not ideal... too much other things for me to have regularly.

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!" "Lead me not into carb temptation!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE... but gotta stay ON it.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
Eat something low carb before you go. You don't have to eat at the movies.
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:13 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmop View Post
Eat something low carb before you go. You don't have to eat at the movies.
We are eating before, but I want backups in my purse just in case I feel deprived from no popcorn. For me it's true about failing when you fail to plan.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonica View Post
Since I work at a movie theater, I actually brought up the idea with the manager about adding a few LC snacks to the concession menu, not just for people that eat LC, but also diabetics. Something like beef jerky or even a small selection of SF candies. Nothing ever came of it though. The only selection they have as of now is a hot dog without the bun with a cup of chees. and I'm not paying $4.75 for a bunless hotdog or $4.50 for a cup of coffee even though I have broke and bought a $4.75 bottle of water before. I usually buy snacks at the convience store a few doors down before seeing a movie though. Green tea, a small bag of pork rinds and some pepperoni is my go to snack that I usually sneak in.
Thanks for trying to get low carb snacks on offer, anyway. I don't really understand why this isn't done more often; the two cafes that I frequent which sell individually wrapped pieces of cheese (e.g., bonabel, laughing cow, el presidente) and small packages of roasted and salted nuts and pepperoni sticks seem to get a great mark-up profit from those items, and those foods don't spoil easily or require lots of work from the staff.

If there's nothing I can eat except coffee and cream somewhere (i.e., it's all wheat and corn and sugar foods), I request that they consider adding foods like that which will sell well with diabetics, dieters, gluten-intolerant folks, and people just trying to eat healthier. I make a point of patronizing the places that do offer things that I can eat and thank the servers for stocking them.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I get a diet soda. Hot dog (don't eat the bun) in a pinch. Just found out my movie theatre now has pickles! I guess that would help with the salty/crunchy desire. Last time I did steal a few pieces of DS's popcorn. But only a few.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

I am totally going to take some olives! I bet that will totally curve that salty craving of the popcorn!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:57 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mews
I stopped eating at the movies years ago and never missed it.
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:43 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mews View Post
I stopped eating at the movies years ago and never missed it.
I can say movie butter popcorn MAY be my desert island food
Old 03-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
pork rinds
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Heheher
Stats: 142.8/110/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 3/18/11
Cheese sticks and beef jerky. Pecans once I can have nuts.
Heheher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:44 AM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pippa
Stats: Start:156/current: 144.4/goal: 135 (5'5")
WOE: Atkins Induction / nut ketosis 70% fat
Start Date: Restart Jan 20, 2013
For me, one of the most important aspects (if not THE most important) to losing weight and learning to eat this way is to stop associating certain outings, places and activities with food. A huge part of an emotional eater's problems stem from associating one function with stuffing our gobs with junk simply because we have conditioned ourselves to put something sweet, crunchy, chewy, salty (you choose your poison) into our mouths whenever we participate in a particular activity. Once you break that pattern, you are on your way to freedom from the snack "crutch." I used to have to have popcorn at the movies, but eating popcorn would more often than not lead me to buy Milk Duds because, hey, you need something sweet and chewy to help get the popcorn out of you teeth, right? I would rationalize that going to the movie was a special treat so I deserved a treat. I have been trying lately to analyze why I think I deserve to stuff my pie hole and not pay any kind of consequence for my choices. Finding low carb alternative snacks is great, but sooner or later you will find yourself at the movies without your low carb survival kit. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what happens next.

When we condition ourselves to need certain things in order to function, whether its crap food or low carb snacks, we are making ourselves prisoners to that need. Developing an addiction to low carb snacks is no different than an addiction to crap if we can't function without it.

Learning to eat when I'm actually hungry and for no other reason has been my biggest learning curve. I try to plan ahead, yes. But obsessing over whether I can find low carb snacks before I do anything is not sustainable behavior over time. That is what tossed me from the proverbial wagon last year during the holidays. I don't plan to keep repeating the same dysfunctional behavior this time around.

Last edited by Pippa; 03-02-2013 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: More thoughts
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:53 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tandt
Stats: 297/227/?
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: September 2011
Sunflower seeds in the shell - has a lot of hand to mouth action (like popcorn) without too much guilt!
tandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:11 AM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
For me, one of the most important aspects (if not THE most important) to losing weight and learning to eat this way is to stop associating certain outings, places and activities with food. A huge part of an emotional eater's problems stem from associating one function with stuffing our gobs with junk simply because we have conditioned ourselves to put something sweet, crunchy, chewy, salty (you choose your poison) into our mouths whenever we participate in a particular activity. Once you break that pattern, you are on your way to freedom from the snack "crutch." I used to have to have popcorn at the movies, but eating popcorn would more often than not lead me to buy Milk Duds because, hey, you need something sweet and chewy to help get the popcorn out of you teeth, right? I would rationalize that going to the movie was a special treat so I deserved a treat. I have been trying lately to analyze why I think I deserve to stuff my pie hole and not pay any kind of consequence for my choices. Finding low carb alternative snacks is great, but sooner or later you will find yourself at the movies without your low carb survival kit. It doesn't take a genius to figure out what happens next.

When we condition ourselves to need certain things in order to function, whether its crap food or low carb snacks, we are making ourselves prisoners to that need. Developing an addiction to low carb snacks is no different than an addiction to crap if we can't function without it.

Learning to eat when I'm actually hungry and for no other reason has been my biggest learning curve. I try to plan ahead, yes. But obsessing over whether I can find low carb snacks before I do anything is not sustainable behavior over time. That is what tossed me from the proverbial wagon last year during the holidays. I don't plan to keep repeating the same dysfunctional behavior this time around.

This is a really poignant and on-target post. Thank you!

I grew up not eating at the movies. They were the treat. The popcorn was too expensive for what you got, and my parents just wouldn't pay for it.

My husband, however, doesn't think it's a movie without the popcorn and soda and candy. And our daughter is growing up that way, too.

I'm slowly getting back out of the habit of snacking at the movies. Sometimes I bring something. Most times I don't. I will sip at the diet soda my husband gets.

But I agree wholeheartedly that we have built in this whole structure of places/events where we DESERVE treats. Salt water taffy at Ocean City. Fudge when we go to Michigan. Funnel cakes at the county fair. Ice cream when we go on even a local fun trip. Doughnuts on Sunday. Soda and popcorn at the movies (and in our house, on Friday at home, which is "movie night"). Boxes and boxes of Girl Scout cookies in the spring. Soft pretzels when we buy meat and cheese at the Amish market. And don't get me started on all the candy, cookies, and junk set out for holidays!

It gets to the point where every event is an Event!!! and there is some associated food with it. Unless you break the event/food connection, it's very hard to participate in the Event without eating the food. And it's never a healthy food, either! (Except maybe the obligatory turkey leg when we go to Renn Faire...)

Part of my journey has been realizing (and then reminding myself over and over when tempted) that just because my family wants a food doesn't mean I have to buy it. And when they buy it and eat it, it doesn't mean I have to join in.

My husband bought some fudge when we went on a day-trip to a little town recently. It's still sitting on our counter. I'm just not interested in it (thank you, ketosis!!). My husband ordered 15 boxes (yes, 15!!) of Girl Scout cookies (our daughter is a Cadette), and I think they're half-way gone. I haven't had any of them. I'm just not interested.

Part of that disinterest is from appetite suppression and losing the carb cravings from ketosis. But part of it is trying to disassociate the Event (day-tripping, or Spring) with the food (fudge, or GS cookies).

It's hard, but you CAN do it.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:37 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Yes you can do it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post

I grew up not eating at the movies. They were the treat. The popcorn was too expensive for what you got, and my parents just wouldn't pay for it.

My husband, however, doesn't think it's a movie without the popcorn and soda and candy. And our daughter is growing up that way, too.

I'm slowly getting back out of the habit of snacking at the movies. Sometimes I bring something. Most times I don't. I will sip at the diet soda my husband gets.

But I agree wholeheartedly that we have built in this whole structure of places/events where we DESERVE treats. Salt water taffy at Ocean City. Fudge when we go to Michigan. Funnel cakes at the county fair. Ice cream when we go on even a local fun trip. Doughnuts on Sunday. Soda and popcorn at the movies (and in our house, on Friday at home, which is "movie night"). Boxes and boxes of Girl Scout cookies in the spring. Soft pretzels when we buy meat and cheese at the Amish market. And don't get me started on all the candy, cookies, and junk set out for holidays!

It gets to the point where every event is an Event!!! and there is some associated food with it. Unless you break the event/food connection, it's very hard to participate in the Event without eating the food. And it's never a healthy food, either! (Except maybe the obligatory turkey leg when we go to Renn Faire...)

Part of my journey has been realizing (and then reminding myself over and over when tempted) that just because my family wants a food doesn't mean I have to buy it. And when they buy it and eat it, it doesn't mean I have to join in.

My husband bought some fudge when we went on a day-trip to a little town recently. It's still sitting on our counter. I'm just not interested in it (thank you, ketosis!!). My husband ordered 15 boxes (yes, 15!!) of Girl Scout cookies (our daughter is a Cadette), and I think they're half-way gone. I haven't had any of them. I'm just not interested.

Part of that disinterest is from appetite suppression and losing the carb cravings from ketosis. But part of it is trying to disassociate the Event (day-tripping, or Spring) with the food (fudge, or GS cookies).

We have at least one birthday every month in my extended, but living nearby, family. And it seems the majority of births around here occurred around the holidays, each of which is a double whammy of celebration because no one wants Christmas and Thanksgiving to overshadow anyone's birthday, God forbid!
Some of my other snack attacks have been:
Taking car trips to the lake.
Being at the lake where there are no Atkins brownies at the only grocery store OMG! What will I so to survive?!?! :0
Airplane food. Ever notice on international trips they seem to just keep bringing you food the entire flight? Hey, they are serving it, I guess I should go with the flow and eat it like a good sheeple passenger.

I agree that visiting a new city always conjures up bad thoughts about the local delicacy. Hey, I'm in Rome, I have to have gelato. I'm in Boston, we have to get crab cakes! I'm in San Francisco, I can't leave without having clam chowder in a sourdough bread bowl!

If I want to break ranks and try a new food, I let my husband order it and I take 3 bites only. The first 3 bites are the best and nothing really tastes as good after those 3 bites anyway.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post

There are some great posts in this thread, including the one above.

So far, people have commented on the association of food with fun events like family celebrations, trips to the movies or other cities, etc.

I'm amazed at how food has spread into normal workplace events. I work in a large research center at a university, and we have a lot of speakers and national and international visitors. There are three regularly scheduled speaker series running every week there, for research presentations, and almost every month there are meetings with international visitors, Advisory Board members, visitors from other universities, and job candidates. And at almost all of these occasions, there is food offered--snacks, lunches, coffee breaks with pastries, breakfast buffets, etc. Since when did it become necessary to eat when hearing someone give a research presentation or at a business meeting? This is on top of work events like monthly staff barbeques (complete with buns, brownies, chips, and potato and pasta salads) and food-based holiday parties (some of which focus on unhealthy food like dozens of pies).

I just say no to it. Occasionally, I need to go out to dinner or lunch with a visitor to my workplace, and then I order an on-plan meal from the restaurant. Otherwise, I drink water, coffee, or tea and attend to the business at hand, without nibbling through whatever is going on. For staff barbeques and holiday parties, I eat a piece of meat and bring a healthier dish, like a vegetable salad, to pass and make the basis of my meal. Maybe I'm lucky, but I haven't had one person comment, across perhaps 100 such events, about my not eating or ignoring most of the food. And if they did, I'd say something like, "I'm not eating starches or sugars right now, so no thanks."

Last edited by svenskamae; 03-02-2013 at 06:58 AM..
Old 03-02-2013, 06:57 AM   #24
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by tandt View Post
Sunflower seeds in the shell - has a lot of hand to mouth action (like popcorn) without too much guilt!
My favorite!
Don't know if they're induction-friendly, but they're a GREAT "slow snack".
It takes quite a while to get 100 calories' worth of sunflower seeds when you have to crack and spit out the shell. And I usually stop after a couple handfuls because of the salt.
Also, people usually don't comment or suspect I'm on a diet or try to feed me other foods when I have sunflower seeds.
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #25
Junior LCF Member

I just wanted to share my discovery of late with my fellow champions of will power and fortitude. Has anyone else yet experienced the immense feeling of freedom that comes with letting go of the food obsession? I can't say that this feeling is a constant one, I still struggle with cravings, but every once in a while I find myself thinking, "I feel so content at this moment not having the weight of my food obsession sitting on my shoulders (or my butt, as it were)!!!i can enjoy this moment, this outing, this time without food. I am finally approaching normal!"

I want to feel this way every day. I want to go on vacation and enjoy the adventure of experiencing new people and new surroundings without food being in the forefront of my mind! I want to exist without the burden of always wishing I had just lost that weight sooner. My journey is ongoing and I have no deadline anymore. No goal date to fail at reaching a goal weight. I am a champion today because I am taking control of my life! Dammit! So Fat Me can just stick that cinnamon biscuit where the sun don't shine.

Ok sorry I tend to ramble on when I'm talking to my other self...
Old 03-02-2013, 10:11 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Yvonnem2000
Stats: 148.6/151/135
WOE: Atkins Induction + veggies
Start Date: April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
I just wanted to share my discovery of late with my fellow champions of will power and fortitude. Has anyone else yet experienced the immense feeling of freedom that comes with letting go of the food obsession? I can't say that this feeling is a constant one, I still struggle with cravings, but every once in a while I find myself thinking, "I feel so content at this moment not having the weight of my food obsession sitting on my shoulders (or my butt, as it were)!!!i can enjoy this moment, this outing, this time without food. I am finally approaching normal!"

I want to feel this way every day. I want to go on vacation and enjoy the adventure of experiencing new people and new surroundings without food being in the forefront of my mind! I want to exist without the burden of always wishing I had just lost that weight sooner. My journey is ongoing and I have no deadline anymore. No goal date to fail at reaching a goal weight. I am a champion today because I am taking control of my life! Dammit! So Fat Me can just stick that cinnamon biscuit where the sun don't shine.

Ok sorry I tend to ramble on when I'm talking to my other self...

And pumpkin seeds.
Yvonnem2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #27
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I do not snack between meals. No reason to. The only thing I might have at the movies is water or iced tea.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:45 PM   #28
A&F
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: A&F
Stats: 185/138.4/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7/12/11
I almost never eat during a movie. Growing up, my parents were very frugal (cheap) and would not buy overpriced theater food so it never became part of my movie routine.

The concession stand at my local theater sells sausage and cheese, and fruit and cheese along with wine (along with all the normal theater foods). If I do indulge and get movie food it is sausage and cheese and a dry red wine.
A&F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: hippygypsykaren
Stats: (277) 273.5/255/160
WOE: Low Carb
There is also a good chance that I would choose movie theater popcorn as my desert island food.

That said, my theater now sells fresh brewed iced tea which is my favorite thing to drink so I buy the biggest size. Well, I did until they offered the refillable cup for $3. So now that will be what I get.

As far as what to eat... I also eat nuts. I know they are not induction friendly, but almonds have 2 net grams of carbs per ounce so I feel like they aren't such a terrible choice. I'm looking forward to maintenance when I will bring a "bag lunch" and have an ounce or so of smokehouse almonds, a piece of string cheese and half of an asian pear while enjoying my tea.

The only other thing on plan I can offer that hasn't been mentioned is that there is a recipe for coconut flour raspberry muffins (I use blueberries) that I love and I've taken a muffin for my snack. Coconut flour is very satisfying.

I'd love to be able to get out of the mindset of eating at social events, and I'm fine if I go alone, but hubby loves the popcorn too, and I can pass that up (barely) if I have something else.
hippygypsykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I actually went to the movies yesterday and ended up getting a small bottled water (for like $4 ) and I squirted in some Mio I brought with me. I also had an emergency Atkins bar in my purse but I didn't eat it. I did eat few pieces of DS's popcorn though when he went to the bathroom.
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote