LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: 2f2f
Stats: 256.5/235.5/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/02/2013
Why and how do you use coconut oil?

I've tried to search Coconut Oil but it is referenced so many times in threads it's difficult to find out just exactly why a person uses coconut oil and how do you use it?

Insight please?
2f2f is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: millergirl1976
Stats: 166.6/146.8/135<- 28in waist
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Restart. 3/31/14
I cook with it- a lot of people dont like the flavor, but I really dont notice. I use it in place of olive oil. I also use it as body moisturizer. I have been using it for about four months now, and my upper arms and legs are completely cleared up.

I use the Trader Joes brand.
millergirl1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
It helps with my energy levels, suppresses cravings, and eliminated my desire to snack mid-afternoon. I use a few teaspoons in my morning coffee and cook with it in place of butter. I also use it as a moisturizer and as a hot-oil treatment for my hair.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/127.6/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I've been wondering about this too. I don't drink coffee, but I'd love to find some creative ways to get this in each day.
MtherGoos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitcub
Start Date: 01/19/09...this time
I've been known to add some to protein shakes - a little heavy cream, a TB coconut oil, a few frozen strawberries, a bit of water and a scoop of strawberry or vanilla protein powder blended and it's kind of like a strawberry milkshake - yummo! Also, I've fried foods in it.

I've never put it in coffee, though. I wonder - what does it do to the texture? Does it give the coffee an oil slick feel?

As for the whys, Here's text from the Dr. Oz website:

"Conventional thought used to consider fats like coconut oil to be unhealthy and contribute to heart disease. We now know that this isn’t true. In fact, coconut oil is actually a heart healthy food that can keep your body running smoother in a few different ways.

What are the health benefits of coconut oil?
Studies have show that intake of coconut oil can help our bodies mount resistance to both viruses and bacteria that can cause illness. Even more, it also can help to fight off yeast, fungus and candida.
Coconut oil can also positively affect our hormones for thyroid and blood sugar control. People who take coconut oil also tend to have improvements in how they handle blood sugar since coconut can help improve insulin use within the body. Coconut oil can boost thyroid function helping to increase metabolism, energy and endurance. It increases digestion and helps to absorb fat-soluble vitamins.

Can coconut oil reduce cholesterol?
Coconut oil has a saturated fat called lauric acid, a type of MCT. It has been shown that lauric acid increases the good HDL cholesterol in the blood to help improve cholesterol ratio levels. Coconut oil lowers cholesterol by promoting its conversion to pregnenolone, a molecule that is a precursor to many of the hormones our bodies need. Coconut can help restore normal thyroid function. When the thyroid does not function optimally, it can contribute to higher levels of bad cholesterol.

How does coconut help keep weight balanced?
Coconut fats have special fats called medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). It has been shown that breaking down these types of healthy fats in the liver leads to efficient burning of energy. One 2009 study found that women who consumed 30 milliliters (about 2 tablespoons) of coconut oil daily for 12 weeks not only did not gain more weight, but actually had lowered amounts of abdominal fat, a type of fat that is difficult to lose, and contributes to more heart problems."
Old 02-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: September 10, 2014
I use it when I'm frying anything (like my scrambled eggs, chicken, fish etc...), I put 1 T in my morning coffee (no the oil slick does not bother me in the least), I use it to moisturize my legs after a shower (different bottle of CO than I cook with! ). I also have 2 little bottles of it for moisturizing my hands/lips, one in the car, one in the kitchen. I also make artisan soap and make a mean CO/salt bar, my latest was scented with a rich vanilla fragrance oil and smelled like heaven!
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I cook with it all the time. The coconut oil I use has a very mild flavor, which is subsumed by most other flavors when cooking, so I don't bother getting the unflavored kind. I also recently started putting it in my tea sometimes. I don't mind the flavor or the oily sensation, and it helps keep my fat ingestion up. I have trouble eating enough calories sometimes.

I also use it externally all the time. I have one jar in the kitchen, and one in my bedroom. I use it on my skin and hair. I also have a smaller jar with several drops of tea tree oil mixed in, when I need a little antiseptic action (both have natural anti fungal and antiseptic properties). For instance, because I've been on very strong antibiotics for six weeks, my system is all out of whack, and I have a mild yeast infection on my torso. I rub the coconut/tea tree oil concoction on it nightly, and it stays under control. I also use that on my feet nightly, and sometimes on my scalp, to counteract dandruff (also a fungal issue). I put it on my scalp about an hour before I shampoo, and it helps tremendously.

I also mix it with my regular lotion. Just a few tablespoons mixed into a full bottlemakes a big difference.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
I drink about 2oz in my 24oz morning thermos (drink bottle sort of thermos) of coffee. I like the thermos because I can shake it up before drinking or pouring a small cup. That keeps the CO incorporated for less of an oil slick experience.

I also try to eat a half ounce or an ounce every day off the spoon.

I cook with it when I am out of bacon grease.

I use it for hand lotion and I like to have a little in my mouth when I brush my teeth.

Good stuff
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I cook with it. It is the perfect cooking oil.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
Start Date: 7-22-12
I have a couple different brands, some have more flavor than others. I don't like cooking with it very often because of the flavor. It is fine in coffee, but I don't drink a lot of coffee. So I usually end up just taking a spoonful of it straight. It keeps me full for the day and I seem to loose more weight when I take it. If you take it, make sure you start with small amounts. Large amount could cause stomach issues.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 174.8/171.4/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD :)
Start Date: Start date: September 10, 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
I have a couple different brands, some have more flavor than others. I don't like cooking with it very often because of the flavor. It is fine in coffee, but I don't drink a lot of coffee. So I usually end up just taking a spoonful of it straight. It keeps me full for the day and I seem to loose more weight when I take it. If you take it, make sure you start with small amounts. Large amount could cause stomach issues.
I can vouch for the starting out small! My first day (over a year ago) I incorporated 2 Tablespoons in my morning coffee and was in the bathroom (and in a HUGE amount of pain from cramps) for most of the morning....thought I was going to die! lesson learned though.
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #12
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: pocahontas
I cook with it occasionally, I use it in place of veg oil in baked goods. I use it in my hair and on my skin, its an excellent facial moisturizer! I also use it for oil pulling. My teeth and gums have never been so clean and white! I have been using it for years.
pocahontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:34 AM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I cook with it, mostly using the expeller pressed unflavoured kind.
I also use it in my bulletproof coffee in the morning here, I use the virgin coconut oil, which is mildly flavoured.

I use the virgin oil on my body, to moisturise and to help clear up skin issues.

I use the virgin oil to make my hair shiny.

I use the virgin for oil pulling.

I use coconut oil for it's wonderful properties to enhance my health and wellbeing. I find it gives me energy and makes me feel generally good.

I also use coconut cream, dried coconut, coconut milk and coconut water (the unsweetened, pure kind) as well. I find, that since adding coconut in general to my diet my health and immune system has improved. So far, none of the cold and flu viruses have actually managed to get hold of me!

female, 38y/o, 5'10"

my blog:
http://crazybeautyhealth.blogspot.de/

Last edited by Mimosa23; 03-01-2013 at 12:36 AM..
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:47 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I use it if I am craving anything sweet. I find mixing it with some heavy cream and making a dressing out of it to pour it on an iceberg salad with a dash of salt, reducing my cravings for anything sweet. I would probably use it in Thai cooking in place of olive oil, but I haven't yet found a good recipe for that yet. I make my own coconut milk by just throwing some fresh coconut in a blender with some filtered water, but the problem is that it lacks the intense flavour of the canned stuff. Probably just adding a bit of the oil with that would improve the flavour.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:19 AM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I use it because it seems to control my appetite.
I use it in recipes for treats, such as small fat bombs, and I make homemade mayo with half coconut oil and half light olive oil.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:38 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: AmelieWannabe
Stats: 348/269/199
WOE: Atkins (mostly)
Start Date: 2/13/12
coconut oil + unsweetened cocoa + EZ Sweets = fabulous chocolate candy

I typically melt 1/3 cup coconut oil, mix in about 1/8 cup of cocoa and a few drops of EZ Sweets then pour into candy molds, put into freezer and wait about 10 minutes for heavenly candy.
AmelieWannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:20 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
I am insulin resistant and there is some indication that insulin resistance is present in the brain for those of us who have this condition. Coconut oil provides ketones and I try to make sure I get at least 1-2T per day in my bread. I'm hoping it will keep my brain functioning well as I age.
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #18
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kayellr
Stats: 5'5" 195/171/135
WOE: LCHF/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 1/29/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidinem View Post
I am insulin resistant and there is some indication that insulin resistance is present in the brain for those of us who have this condition. Coconut oil provides ketones and I try to make sure I get at least 1-2T per day in my bread.
Why are you eating bread if you are insulin resistant? Please tell us it's "fat bread" or some other really low carb bread. Otherwise it sounds like you could be undoing the beneficial effects of the CO.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use CO because it's great for cooking - very saturated, very resistant to damage from heat. It's my preference for stir fries and anything where I'm not using butter/ghee. I use it on my skin in the winter, even to the point where I'm using a baking soda/CO mix as a body scrub instead of soap. My skin is awfully dry in winter. The same mix makes a great underarm deodorant.

The main reason I use CO though is for the MCT and ketosis inducing benefits to the brain and mood. Great stuff! CO is just amazingly versatile.

Last edited by kayellr; 03-01-2013 at 06:10 AM..
kayellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:31 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: h82bl8
Stats: 230/170
WOE: what works for me
Start Date: Sept. 2014
I use it for cooking, in my coffee, baking, in my protein shakes.
h82bl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:09 AM   #20
Junior LCF Member

I eat it by the teaspoonful. If we are to be eating a higher fat diet, this really should be in every low carbers pantry. Coconut oil has so many wonderful properties.
Oil pulling is very good too, I am still experimenting with this aspect of it but I need to be more consistent with it.
wifetoEdmotherof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:45 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Janknitz
Stats: 254/184/150
WOE: Low Carb High Fat, Primal
Start Date: June 16, 2011
I eat 2 to 3 Tbsp/ day in cooking or in my hot drinks. I eat it because:

1. As an MCT oil it bypasses the liver and can help your metabolism burn fat.
2. There's some evidence it may protect the brain (discussed above).
3. It increases my fat ratios to work to ketosis.
4. It's a safe fat for cooking at higher temperatures--butter and olive oil shouldn't be heated too high.
Janknitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:13 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayellr View Post
Why are you eating bread if you are insulin resistant? Please tell us it's "fat bread" or some other really low carb bread. Otherwise it sounds like you could be undoing the beneficial effects of the CO.
Yes it is a high fat bread, homemade flax bread.
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: juliekaboolie
WOE: Whole30
Start Date: 1/7/11
I love it!

I find it helps with constipation. It totally kills my appetite. Makes my meats and veggies tastier and crispier when frying. Smells good. Great moisturizer. I could go on! I use it daily!
juliekaboolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
I add it to my coffee, use it to make coconut bark, and cook with it.

I was having a hard time guessing how much I was using a day when using the tracker I use.
I bought some little square plastic containers at the dollar store. 8 for a dollar or something.
They hold 4 tablespoons each. So I softened my coconut oil and filled them all. I just start on a fresh one each morning. It's much easier than scooping out of the big jars. I'm finding that I use about 3T most days, and I'm still having trouble getting enough fat.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowdancer79
Stats: 202/175/150 5'8" restart 10.01.12
I found a very yummy brand at Vitamin Cottage made by Dr. Bronners (who makes the biodegradabe soaps). It's extra virgin and delicious. I've been putting it in coffee and also I've been cooking with it. And also using it as a lotion.
snowdancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:17 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vita oldie
Stats: 160 want to be below 140
Start Date: June 2012
What is oil pulling?
How do you use it for teeth cleaning?
Do you use tooth paste first followed by dipping the brush in c/oil afterwards?
Vita oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:49 PM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vita oldie View Post
What is oil pulling?
How do you use it for teeth cleaning?
Do you use tooth paste first followed by dipping the brush in c/oil afterwards?
Google oil pulling, you will come up with a wealth of information!

Basically, it's swishing oil in your mouth and sucking it between your teeth for 20 minutes without swallowing the oil. You spit it out afterwards. It is said to pull bacteria from your mouth that could cause other problems as well.

That said, I feel great doing it and my teeth are whiter too.

I floss my teeth, then do my oil pulling and then brush after I've had my morning coffee.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:45 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stardust
For anyone in the UK, where do you buy it from and what brand? I'd love to try some, I shop with asda and just looked online and can't find it there.
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Vita oldie
Stats: 160 want to be below 140
Start Date: June 2012
Stardust Holland and Barrett sell it.
I would like to know if the coconut blocks sold in Indian stores is the same stuff but less purified. Anyone know the answer.
Vita oldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:07 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Stardust
Thank you! Will try and get to a store, and if not order online.
Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote