Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Why and how do you use coconut oil? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/798107-why-how-do-you-use-coconut-oil.html)

2f2f 02-28-2013 01:16 PM

Why and how do you use coconut oil?

I've tried to search Coconut Oil but it is referenced so many times in threads it's difficult to find out just exactly why a person uses coconut oil and how do you use it?

Insight please?

millergirl1976 02-28-2013 01:34 PM

I cook with it- a lot of people dont like the flavor, but I really dont notice. I use it in place of olive oil. I also use it as body moisturizer. I have been using it for about four months now, and my upper arms and legs are completely cleared up. :D

I use the Trader Joes brand.

Knittering 02-28-2013 01:46 PM

It helps with my energy levels, suppresses cravings, and eliminated my desire to snack mid-afternoon. I use a few teaspoons in my morning coffee and cook with it in place of butter. I also use it as a moisturizer and as a hot-oil treatment for my hair. :D

MtherGoos 02-28-2013 01:47 PM

I've been wondering about this too. I don't drink coffee, but I'd love to find some creative ways to get this in each day.

kitcub 02-28-2013 02:04 PM

I've been known to add some to protein shakes - a little heavy cream, a TB coconut oil, a few frozen strawberries, a bit of water and a scoop of strawberry or vanilla protein powder blended and it's kind of like a strawberry milkshake - yummo! Also, I've fried foods in it.

I've never put it in coffee, though. I wonder - what does it do to the texture? Does it give the coffee an oil slick feel?

As for the whys, Here's text from the Dr. Oz website:

"Conventional thought used to consider fats like coconut oil to be unhealthy and contribute to heart disease. We now know that this isnít true. In fact, coconut oil is actually a heart healthy food that can keep your body running smoother in a few different ways.

What are the health benefits of coconut oil?
Studies have show that intake of coconut oil can help our bodies mount resistance to both viruses and bacteria that can cause illness. Even more, it also can help to fight off yeast, fungus and candida.
Coconut oil can also positively affect our hormones for thyroid and blood sugar control. People who take coconut oil also tend to have improvements in how they handle blood sugar since coconut can help improve insulin use within the body. Coconut oil can boost thyroid function helping to increase metabolism, energy and endurance. It increases digestion and helps to absorb fat-soluble vitamins.

Can coconut oil reduce cholesterol?
Coconut oil has a saturated fat called lauric acid, a type of MCT. It has been shown that lauric acid increases the good HDL cholesterol in the blood to help improve cholesterol ratio levels. Coconut oil lowers cholesterol by promoting its conversion to pregnenolone, a molecule that is a precursor to many of the hormones our bodies need. Coconut can help restore normal thyroid function. When the thyroid does not function optimally, it can contribute to higher levels of bad cholesterol.

How does coconut help keep weight balanced?
Coconut fats have special fats called medium chain triglycerides (MCTs). It has been shown that breaking down these types of healthy fats in the liver leads to efficient burning of energy. One 2009 study found that women who consumed 30 milliliters (about 2 tablespoons) of coconut oil daily for 12 weeks not only did not gain more weight, but actually had lowered amounts of abdominal fat, a type of fat that is difficult to lose, and contributes to more heart problems."

Becky 02-28-2013 02:10 PM

I use it when I'm frying anything (like my scrambled eggs, chicken, fish etc...), I put 1 T in my morning coffee (no the oil slick does not bother me in the least), I use it to moisturize my legs after a shower (different bottle of CO than I cook with! ;)). I also have 2 little bottles of it for moisturizing my hands/lips, one in the car, one in the kitchen. I also make artisan soap and make a mean CO/salt bar, my latest was scented with a rich vanilla fragrance oil and smelled like heaven! :)

Ntombi 02-28-2013 02:47 PM

I cook with it all the time. The coconut oil I use has a very mild flavor, which is subsumed by most other flavors when cooking, so I don't bother getting the unflavored kind. I also recently started putting it in my tea sometimes. I don't mind the flavor or the oily sensation, and it helps keep my fat ingestion up. I have trouble eating enough calories sometimes.

I also use it externally all the time. I have one jar in the kitchen, and one in my bedroom. I use it on my skin and hair. I also have a smaller jar with several drops of tea tree oil mixed in, when I need a little antiseptic action (both have natural anti fungal and antiseptic properties). For instance, because I've been on very strong antibiotics for six weeks, my system is all out of whack, and I have a mild yeast infection on my torso. I rub the coconut/tea tree oil concoction on it nightly, and it stays under control. I also use that on my feet nightly, and sometimes on my scalp, to counteract dandruff (also a fungal issue). I put it on my scalp about an hour before I shampoo, and it helps tremendously.

I also mix it with my regular lotion. Just a few tablespoons mixed into a full bottlemakes a big difference.

reddarin 02-28-2013 02:58 PM

I drink about 2oz in my 24oz morning thermos (drink bottle sort of thermos) of coffee. I like the thermos because I can shake it up before drinking or pouring a small cup. That keeps the CO incorporated for less of an oil slick experience.

I also try to eat a half ounce or an ounce every day off the spoon.

I cook with it when I am out of bacon grease.

I use it for hand lotion and I like to have a little in my mouth when I brush my teeth.

Good stuff :)

DiamondDeb 02-28-2013 03:18 PM

I cook with it. It is the perfect cooking oil.

Big Stevie 02-28-2013 03:34 PM

I have a couple different brands, some have more flavor than others. I don't like cooking with it very often because of the flavor. It is fine in coffee, but I don't drink a lot of coffee. So I usually end up just taking a spoonful of it straight. It keeps me full for the day and I seem to loose more weight when I take it. If you take it, make sure you start with small amounts. Large amount could cause stomach issues.

Becky 02-28-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Stevie (Post 16286997)
I have a couple different brands, some have more flavor than others. I don't like cooking with it very often because of the flavor. It is fine in coffee, but I don't drink a lot of coffee. So I usually end up just taking a spoonful of it straight. It keeps me full for the day and I seem to loose more weight when I take it. If you take it, make sure you start with small amounts. Large amount could cause stomach issues.

I can vouch for the starting out small! My first day (over a year ago) I incorporated 2 Tablespoons in my morning coffee and was in the bathroom (and in a HUGE amount of pain from cramps) for most of the morning....thought I was going to die! :sick: lesson learned though.

pocahontas 02-28-2013 04:53 PM

I cook with it occasionally, I use it in place of veg oil in baked goods. I use it in my hair and on my skin, its an excellent facial moisturizer! I also use it for oil pulling. My teeth and gums have never been so clean and white! I have been using it for years.

Mimosa23 03-01-2013 12:34 AM

I cook with it, mostly using the expeller pressed unflavoured kind.
I also use it in my bulletproof coffee in the morning here, I use the virgin coconut oil, which is mildly flavoured.

I use the virgin oil on my body, to moisturise and to help clear up skin issues.

I use the virgin oil to make my hair shiny.

I use the virgin for oil pulling.

I use coconut oil for it's wonderful properties to enhance my health and wellbeing. I find it gives me energy and makes me feel generally good.

I also use coconut cream, dried coconut, coconut milk and coconut water (the unsweetened, pure kind) as well. I find, that since adding coconut in general to my diet my health and immune system has improved. So far, none of the cold and flu viruses have actually managed to get hold of me!

Punkin 03-01-2013 03:47 AM

I use it if I am craving anything sweet. I find mixing it with some heavy cream and making a dressing out of it to pour it on an iceberg salad with a dash of salt, reducing my cravings for anything sweet. I would probably use it in Thai cooking in place of olive oil, but I haven't yet found a good recipe for that yet. I make my own coconut milk by just throwing some fresh coconut in a blender with some filtered water, but the problem is that it lacks the intense flavour of the canned stuff. Probably just adding a bit of the oil with that would improve the flavour.

emel 03-01-2013 04:19 AM

I use it because it seems to control my appetite.
I use it in recipes for treats, such as small fat bombs, and I make homemade mayo with half coconut oil and half light olive oil.

AmelieWannabe 03-01-2013 04:38 AM

coconut oil + unsweetened cocoa + EZ Sweets = fabulous chocolate candy

I typically melt 1/3 cup coconut oil, mix in about 1/8 cup of cocoa and a few drops of EZ Sweets then pour into candy molds, put into freezer and wait about 10 minutes for heavenly candy.

Heidinem 03-01-2013 05:20 AM

I am insulin resistant and there is some indication that insulin resistance is present in the brain for those of us who have this condition. Coconut oil provides ketones and I try to make sure I get at least 1-2T per day in my bread. I'm hoping it will keep my brain functioning well as I age.

kayellr 03-01-2013 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heidinem (Post 16287801)
I am insulin resistant and there is some indication that insulin resistance is present in the brain for those of us who have this condition. Coconut oil provides ketones and I try to make sure I get at least 1-2T per day in my bread.

Why are you eating bread if you are insulin resistant? Please tell us it's "fat bread" or some other really low carb bread. Otherwise it sounds like you could be undoing the beneficial effects of the CO. :sad:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use CO because it's great for cooking - very saturated, very resistant to damage from heat. It's my preference for stir fries and anything where I'm not using butter/ghee. I use it on my skin in the winter, even to the point where I'm using a baking soda/CO mix as a body scrub instead of soap. My skin is awfully dry in winter. The same mix makes a great underarm deodorant.

The main reason I use CO though is for the MCT and ketosis inducing benefits to the brain and mood. Great stuff! CO is just amazingly versatile.

h82bl8 03-01-2013 06:31 AM

I use it for cooking, in my coffee, baking, in my protein shakes.

wifetoEdmotherof10 03-01-2013 10:09 AM

I eat it by the teaspoonful. If we are to be eating a higher fat diet, this really should be in every low carbers pantry. Coconut oil has so many wonderful properties.
Oil pulling is very good too, I am still experimenting with this aspect of it but I need to be more consistent with it.

Janknitz 03-01-2013 02:45 PM

I eat 2 to 3 Tbsp/ day in cooking or in my hot drinks. I eat it because:

1. As an MCT oil it bypasses the liver and can help your metabolism burn fat.
2. There's some evidence it may protect the brain (discussed above).
3. It increases my fat ratios to work to ketosis.
4. It's a safe fat for cooking at higher temperatures--butter and olive oil shouldn't be heated too high.

Heidinem 03-02-2013 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayellr (Post 16287918)
Why are you eating bread if you are insulin resistant? Please tell us it's "fat bread" or some other really low carb bread. Otherwise it sounds like you could be undoing the beneficial effects of the CO. :sad:

Yes it is a high fat bread, homemade flax bread.

juliekaboolie 03-03-2013 07:48 PM

I love it!

I find it helps with constipation. It totally kills my appetite. Makes my meats and veggies tastier and crispier when frying. Smells good. Great moisturizer. I could go on! I use it daily!

Liz1959 03-03-2013 09:55 PM

I add it to my coffee, use it to make coconut bark, and cook with it.

I was having a hard time guessing how much I was using a day when using the tracker I use.
I bought some little square plastic containers at the dollar store. 8 for a dollar or something.
They hold 4 tablespoons each. So I softened my coconut oil and filled them all. I just start on a fresh one each morning. It's much easier than scooping out of the big jars. I'm finding that I use about 3T most days, and I'm still having trouble getting enough fat.

snowdancer79 03-04-2013 05:58 AM

I found a very yummy brand at Vitamin Cottage made by Dr. Bronners (who makes the biodegradabe soaps). It's extra virgin and delicious. I've been putting it in coffee and also I've been cooking with it. And also using it as a lotion.

Vita oldie 03-05-2013 10:17 AM

What is oil pulling?
How do you use it for teeth cleaning?
Do you use tooth paste first followed by dipping the brush in c/oil afterwards?

Mimosa23 03-05-2013 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vita oldie (Post 16297130)
What is oil pulling?
How do you use it for teeth cleaning?
Do you use tooth paste first followed by dipping the brush in c/oil afterwards?

Google oil pulling, you will come up with a wealth of information!

Basically, it's swishing oil in your mouth and sucking it between your teeth for 20 minutes without swallowing the oil. You spit it out afterwards. It is said to pull bacteria from your mouth that could cause other problems as well.

That said, I feel great doing it and my teeth are whiter too.

I floss my teeth, then do my oil pulling and then brush after I've had my morning coffee.

Stardust 03-06-2013 04:45 AM

For anyone in the UK, where do you buy it from and what brand? I'd love to try some, I shop with asda and just looked online and can't find it there.

Vita oldie 03-06-2013 05:32 AM

Stardust Holland and Barrett sell it.
I would like to know if the coconut blocks sold in Indian stores is the same stuff but less purified. Anyone know the answer.

Stardust 03-06-2013 06:07 AM

Thank you! Will try and get to a store, and if not order online.