Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Hey all, been awhile! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/798106-hey-all-been-awhile.html)

HeavenDenied 02-28-2013 01:43 PM

Hey all, been awhile!

So it's been awhile. I came on here last year to get advice and learn more about low carb lifestyles. I went from 250+ pounds down to about 198 or so between the months of May-Sept/2012 with no cheating(GO ME!). Then the holidays rolled around and I decided to take some breaks during Thanksgiving(just a day), and then I took a longer break from Xmas Eve to New Years and then tightened up and back to plan. During those breaks I ended up getting up to about 215lbs. Currently I'm teetering between 209-213. My daily intake is mainly chicken wings (buffalo style, not breaded) with blue cheese & celery, peanuts/almonds as a snack, and collard greens during the day. Kale, broccoli, and steak for dinner with butter or coconut oil. I use Ketostix and I'm pretty well hydrated, I'm always in the lightest shade above negative, sometimes a little darker (but they say color doesn't matter, you're in Ketosis or you're not, right?). But I don't seem to be getting back down to where I was before my breaks and ultimately reaching my goal weight of 180 or less. I'm wondering if it's just harder to lose weight in the winter time; do our bodies hold on to weight or am I slipping in other ways? Will this change again in the summer? I lost most of my weight in the warmer months of the year(I live in Maryland, experiencing all 4 seasons). I would love to be well under 200 pounds by beach-time, because I haven't been in shape for the beach since.. well.. never :)

Any insight would be great. Thank you!
Luke

PS: I started drinking beer regularly since November of last year, about once or twice a week. Mostly Miller Lite which contain 3.1 carbs per bottle - usually would have a 5-6 out with friends. However, in the last couple of weeks I have stopped. Hoping that makes a difference as well.

abby! 02-28-2013 02:48 PM

Everything sounds great except the nuts, especially peanuts. Try to replace peanut snacks with cheese and see what happens. Or just do almonds. How many calories are you consuming? Your smaller body might need a bit less. It will happen, be patient and good luck!

Knittering 02-28-2013 02:55 PM

Welcome back, Luke! I think being under 200 pounds by summertime is a very reasonable goal for you.

I agree with Abby -- ditch the peanuts. Are you drinking enough water?

I think weight loss is easier for some during the summer, especially people who are outside a lot and are physically active. Personally I do better in the cold weather because I love bone broth, roasted veggies, etc.

HeavenDenied 02-28-2013 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abby! (Post 16286804)
Everything sounds great except the nuts, especially peanuts. Try to replace peanut snacks with cheese and see what happens. Or just do almonds. How many calories are you consuming? Your smaller body might need a bit less. It will happen, be patient and good luck!

Thank you. But, why are peanuts so bad? Wouldn't they be considered low on the GI? My portions are usually 20-30 peanuts salted in the shell - I do not eat the shells.

I do have cheese pretty often as well.

lterry913 02-28-2013 03:08 PM

Try eating food just from the Atkins induction list for 2 weeks...maybe that will kick start you...if you don't have the book you can google it or check the sticky threads. Leave out the beer for 2 weeks also and see where you end up...then don't add foods per say ...but exchange them out...like what ever new food you add for the day like almonds...don't have a snack of cheese. I don't know if you get what I'm trying to say, but this is a way of keeping the carbs low but changing up the food choices.

HeavenDenied 02-28-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lterry913 (Post 16286841)
Try eating food just from the Atkins induction list for 2 weeks...maybe that will kick start you...if you don't have the book you can google it or check the sticky threads. Leave out the beer for 2 weeks also and see where you end up...then don't add foods per say ...but exchange them out...like what ever new food you add for the day like almonds...don't have a snack of cheese. I don't know if you get what I'm trying to say, but this is a way of keeping the carbs low but changing up the food choices.

Definitely leaning toward this. I do have the book. Revised version. Back to basics it is. Thanks for the motivation you guys, it helps more than I'd like to admit :p

By the way - What are peoples thoughts on berries, like Blue/Black/Rasp. How much can you really have per day without getting kicked out of Ketosis? They're all rather low on the GI, Raspberries being the lowest. Any thoughts?

I'd love to add them back into the mix after a few weeks but I'd also like to know the general limits - excluding the idea that everyone is different, there should be still a low safe number.