LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 04:43 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: mamajennleigh
Stats: 175/147/125
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: January 2011
Advice For My 1000th Restart...

Ok, maybe not actually 1000th, but it feels that way :-)

I have been low-carbing for about 2 years. Lost 40 lbs then regained 12 by becoming the "Monday Re-Start Queen" and have been playing with a 5-lb loss/gain since October. I've decided enough is enough and I've re-started Induction. My question is this: since I have been low-carbing, and since I have spent about equal time on and off-plan, my body is fairly adapted to it. I'm not expecting major losses from Induction, but would love any advice for how to "kick-start" some loss. I started induction on Monday and realized yesterday that I had about 1700 calories and I felt bloated and my pants were actually tighter! Do you think its possible that I need to restrict my calories since I have done this so many times? Otherwise, I am following the Induction rules to a T.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
mamajennleigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 05:01 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamajennleigh View Post
Do you think its possible that I need to restrict my calories since I have done this so many times?
Yes. Some people need to restrict calories as well.
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:15 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dianda
Stats: 145/121/115; 5'3''
Start Date: November 2012
Maybe CICO isn't the whole truth but it certainly is a humongous part of it. Now you're smaller than before so you probably do need to watch those calories if you want to lose more weight.
dianda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:31 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: gammazach
Stats: 266/249.5/150
WOE: atkins
Start Date: 4/19/2011 restart 7/17/14
Well the inspiration for me today is the results of lab work. Before Thanksgiving I had a check up with lab work after doing atkins type of eating for most of the year. All my lab work was fantastic. Then came the Holidays and being bad for an extended period of time. Lab work through my employer came back absolutely awful. Diabetic, High bp, very high cholesterol etc. Back to Atkins and I am sticking with it for life, my life!! I know it works and it is obvious that carb junk does not work.
gammazach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:08 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LindaM
Stats: 188/170/140 5'1
WOE: lower carb watch calories
Start Date: 01/14/2014
I am on a restart myself the past 2 weeks. Haven't been on and off as much as you or lost as much but going to do it again. One thing I am going to do this time is really try to cook more variety of things and buy the products others say they use. I have trouble getting out and finding stuff and then the cost of getting started with some different products. Other times I tend to really restrict my calories as well and low carb and I end up being hungry all the time. So going to try eating more cooking more preparing more and try to settle into just eating a certain way for life and the weight will come off slower. I can't give an opinion to what you should do not that up on low carb eating but I do understand the restarting again and again.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Quote:
Originally Posted by gammazach View Post
Well the inspiration for me today is the results of lab work. Before Thanksgiving I had a check up with lab work after doing atkins type of eating for most of the year. All my lab work was fantastic. Then came the Holidays and being bad for an extended period of time. Lab work through my employer came back absolutely awful. Diabetic, High bp, very high cholesterol etc. Back to Atkins and I am sticking with it for life, my life!! I know it works and it is obvious that carb junk does not work.
"like"
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Hi JennLeigh!

Here's the stuff that's helping me this time:

1) Before I started, I gathered up a bunch of new recipes. One of the reasons I quit last time was because I was so sick of the six LC meals I was making. I reached the point where I couldn't even look at a hunk of meat, let alone eat it. (I especially love the book "Well Fed." Everything I've made from it has been delicious.)

2) Eliminated all processed foods, sweeteners, wheat, etc. I'm doing it "clean" this time and I'm finding that clean eating really helps eliminate cravings.

3) I also read up on some other LC plans and decided to toss in some fasting. I do a lot better when I don't have my first meal until early afternoon, and that might help you, too. It's not nearly as difficult as it sounds.

4) I hate counting calories, so I'm not eating the high-calories things that used to add up to big numbers last time: cheese (except a sprinkle on salads here and there), nuts, alcohol.

5) No more daily scale-hopping! NOTHING was more discouraging. This time, I'm just going to do the plan and trust that the combination of clean, LC eating + strength training will work. Eventually.
So far: 0/10
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
My biggest piece of advice is to plan ahead!!! Make sure your fridge and pantry is stocked with lc options. Having something easily on hand when starving makes it easier to make a good choice.
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Thank you all so much! I read this board every single day, but very rarely post. I knew there would be some great advice for me here. I am doing it almost-clean this time lol. I switched to liquid stevia for my 1-2 cups of morning coffee and I'm going to attempt to make it the full 2 weeks with no bars or shakes, just actual food. I think the bars and shakes were causing me major cravings. I'm also taking L-glutamine and garcinia, which both seem to help quite a bit.

Stocking or being prepared is never a problem; my DH and I are both low-carb and so there is never a shortage of great low carb food. I generally go off-plan in an emotional binge, right smack in the middle of all that delicious, low carb goodness :-(. Most of the time it's one meal....sometimes it's 2days, but it always leaves me feeling like death warmed over. I'm kind of feeling like it's time to get my junk together and do it the right way. I was very successful in the beginning because my mind-set was much different. I didn't WANT to go off-plan, simply because I WANTED to.reach my goals more and because I loved how much better I felt all day, every day. I just had to find that train of thought again.

I do think my calories were a bit high, but more than that, I think the bars, shakes, diet sodas, and AS were causing me issues. I'm going to drop to 1500 and follow induction strictly and see what happens. Like you said, I have to trust the process :-)
Old 02-28-2013, 01:09 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Thank you all so much! I read this board every single day, but very rarely post. I knew there would be some great advice for me here. I am doing it almost-clean this time lol. I switched to liquid stevia for my 1-2 cups of morning coffee and I'm going to attempt to make it the full 2 weeks with no bars or shakes, just actual food. I think the bars and shakes were causing me major cravings. I'm also taking L-glutamine and garcinia, which both seem to help quite a bit.

Stocking or being prepared is never a problem; my DH and I are both low-carb and so there is never a shortage of great low carb food. I generally go off-plan in an emotional binge, right smack in the middle of all that delicious, low carb goodness :-(. Most of the time it's one meal....sometimes it's 2days, but it always leaves me feeling like death warmed over. I'm kind of feeling like it's time to get my junk together and do it the right way. I was very successful in the beginning because my mind-set was much different. I didn't WANT to go off-plan, simply because I WANTED to.reach my goals more and because I loved how much better I felt all day, every day. I just had to find that train of thought again.

I do think my calories were a bit high, but more than that, I think the bars, shakes, diet sodas, and AS were causing me issues. I'm going to drop to 1500 and follow induction strictly and see what happens. Like you said, I have to trust the process :-)
mamajenleigh, I'd like to invite you to join us in Weight Loss Plan ->Other Plans for the MARCH [[[CALORIE]]]CHALLENGE. The new month isn't up yet, but you can ck out the FEBRUARY CHALLENGE. Small group and most on various plans, but we do watch our individual calories within our plans.

I'm pleased that all of us (one more has to post) has reached our Feb. goals. What you said about wanting to reach your goals made me think it might be beneficial for you. Yes, we bounce around on our daily weigh-ins, but it keeps us on track plus we have the rest cheering us on. It's so much fun because if we bounce up for some reason - could be water weight - we're right there to get back on track.

KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:18 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amundson
Stats: 285/164/155
WOE: Atkins (w/ Protein Power ideas also)
Start Date: April 2010
Most of the people who successfully lost weight and kept it off tried multiple times and failed before succeeding. So keep trying and use unsuccessful efforts to learn. Good luck!!
amundson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Sharss, I will definitely check out the challenge. It might be just the thing I need to help me stay motivated!

I am always so impressed by the helpful people on this board, thanks again!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Definitely get rid of the over-processed stuff. I keep two Atkins shakes in my fridge, and two in the trunk of my car, strictly for emergencies. Everything else I eat is real food. And I mean it has to be a real crisis for me to drink one. Even a bunless burger from a fast food place is better than the shakes or bars, IME.

Keep some stuff available for grabbing or heating up quickly, and keep something available for a quick fatty snack, so you won't reach for something carby. A spoonful of cream cheese does the trick for me.

Try new veggies and new spices. There are more non-starchy veggies out there than most Americans know what to do with. There's no reason to be stuck with a salad or some broccoli. I just bought turnips for the first time, and I'm going to try them a few different ways. We'll see how that goes, but regardless of whether I love them, there are many other veggies to try next.

Ditto spices. Experiment with flavors and cooking techniques. I can make the same piece of meat taste thirty different ways, just by cooking it differently, or adding different combinations of herbs and spices. There's absolutely no need to be bored when you're following a ketogenic diet. None.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: greybb1
Stats: 320/238/175
Start Date: September 2011
My advice? Don't stop trying.
greybb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
I also find that the more I read about it (and read this forum!), the more excited I get about it and it really helps to motivate. I fall off once in a while and I'm no stranger to restarting. I don't see it as restarting, more like continuing a good thing!
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 06:13 AM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: babyphat2012
Stats: 248/234/175
WOE: My Own
Start Date: Restart 10/7/2012
I am also having to restart and it seems like this is the Kabillionth time for me. As frustrated as I am with having to "jump this off again"... I have to keep reminding myself that this IS, WAS and has been what has always worked for me. This time around I've also decided that low carbing for me doesn't mean that I can't calories. At the top of this year I restarted "New Year thingy" as so many do....and just ate, ate, ate, ate....like it was going out of style. A few times ( due to hectic schedule) I ate around 1500-1800 calories for the entire day and saw a dramatic drop in weight. Don't mean to "hijack" your thread...but this is exactly what I needed to see this morning to realize that I have ONLY failed at this when I give up/give in completely and at this point... I refuse to do that!

And as some one posted earlier... "don't stop trying"....

Have a good day everyone.....
babyphat2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
being in the same boat abot 1000 restarts,I totally understand.
I am still figuring out myself,but here's something that helped tremendously:-

Keep a thoughts journal,when I started the frenzy of restarts I thought my problem was less discipline and less motivation.
But when I actually looked back and started writing in the journal my reasons for messing up each week I had a few surprises:
1.I was eating fewer portions which made weight loss quicker,but I was so starved out I would binge on weekends
2.Every time I hit a new low,I became so excited and happy,it turned into nervous tension,then I would be like ,well eating a little off plan is Ok and b4 I knew it gain it all back.
3.Stress from family always made make wrong choices without thinking.3.00pm when kids come home is a special trouble time.There is one who always like to push my buttons(special needs child)I get so stressed and drained out after handling her only a few mniutes,I find myself caught with my hand in the cookie jar.
4.weekend sabotage-this is still a biggie for me
When the schedule is off,and plans can be all over the place,I make poor choices.

For now ,having identified my triggers,I plan to make extensive sets of rules for each situation.I do well when I have plans and lists and all sorts of rules in my journal.
Also I plan on investing in some home workout dvds.

You have to sit down and make a list of reasons why you fell off first each time.Then you have to think through and make a plan of action for each of them.It helped me a lot.
I still haven't figured out answers for the weekend sabotage and kid stressor though.
180:reached
175:
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia(down to 2" from 10")
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Don't give up.
For me, quitting smoking was the addiction I couldn't shake.
I quit a thousand times. Only to pick the filthy habit back up nine hundred
and ninety nine times.
I just never gave up...I tried everything...all the gimmicks and gadgets and then
tried them again. One day it stuck.
You never have to be overweight again.
Wishing you all success.
avid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
The first days of induction, are challenging. One must FIRST, get the carbs & sugars out of your system. ATKINS has NEVER been eat all you WANT. It is eat all you NEED to not be hungry before the next meal. You should test & challenge to see how much you really NEED. If that means counting calories or weighing (which I do), then that's what you must do.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #20
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagman1776 View Post
The first days of induction, are challenging. One must FIRST, get the carbs & sugars out of your system. ATKINS has NEVER been eat all you WANT. It is eat all you NEED to not be hungry before the next meal. You should test & challenge to see how much you really NEED. If that means counting calories or weighing (which I do), then that's what you must do.
I agree! The first few days and maybe even couple of weeks, it is about getting rid of the carbs and the best way I know of doing that is a 'by the book Atkins induction'. Follow that to the 't' and then worry about the tweaks and calories and what not.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:46 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

I am overwhelmed by the support. Thank you each for taking the time.

Lowcarbella, #2 on your list is what happened 95% of the times I have fallen off the wagon. I have been between 30-80 lbs overweight since I was 17, so every time I see a great number on the scale, by the end of the day my excitement gets the best of me. I didn't really understand why, but "nervous tension" really nails it. The other 5% is due to cravings and various obscure reasons that usually revolve around what I consider addictive behavior.

I was down two pounds this morning, so I'm going to take that as a positive sign that I'm doing it the right way. I am trying to really pay attention to hunger and satiety cues to see if I can strike a proper balance.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:54 AM   #22
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Pippa
Stats: Start:156/current: 144.4/goal: 135 (5'5")
WOE: Atkins Induction / nut ketosis 70% fat
Start Date: Restart Jan 20, 2013
I absolutely have had to eat less this time around. I don't count calories or carbs. I just eat what's on the induction list. That said, I am working very hard this time around to not eat on a set schedule just because I think I should or am "allowed" on the "diet." This is not a diet for me, it is a new way of eating that I know has to sustain me for life. If I can't handle unforeseen obstacles then I will not succeed. My life is chaotic most of the time. I travel quite a bit with my husband on business trips, and it is not uncommon for him to come home one night and ask me to go to London or New York or wherever the next week. I am teaching myself that I can no longer panic that I might fail on my "diet" because I'm suddenly out of my eating comfort zone. I am working hard to be aware of triggers that tend to make me want to snack mindlessly. Admiral's Club snack mix anyone? It's free! And it's right there just for me! They want me to eat it so I must!! It wont hurt just this once..Right......

One of the biggest light bulb moments I've had on induction is that I cannot cheat ... at all... if I expect my body to shift effectively from carb burning to fat burning and stay there.

Last edited by Pippa; 03-02-2013 at 06:56 AM..
Pippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
I was down two pounds this morning, so I'm going to take that as a positive sign that I'm doing it the right way.

That's great! KUTGW.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #24
Come join us on the Game Board

Location: retired now - I ski 50+ days annually and do marathons. 1st TIME GRANDMOTHER 6/18/07
Gallery: Sharon
Stats: GO UCLA - BEAT USC. ALWAYS STAY POSITIVE
If you're having such a struggle with LC maybe it's not the your way down the path to weight loss. Maybe you should look to other ways of weight loss. It's not a failure if you change but it's a failure if you keep trying and it's not working for you.
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:47 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/179/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK/MFF
Start Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
I am overwhelmed by the support. Thank you each for taking the time.

Lowcarbella, #2 on your list is what happened 95% of the times I have fallen off the wagon. I have been between 30-80 lbs overweight since I was 17, so every time I see a great number on the scale, by the end of the day my excitement gets the best of me. I didn't really understand why, but "nervous tension" really nails it. The other 5% is due to cravings and various obscure reasons that usually revolve around what I consider addictive behavior.

I was down two pounds this morning, so I'm going to take that as a positive sign that I'm doing it the right way. I am trying to really pay attention to hunger and satiety cues to see if I can strike a proper balance.
You can do this.
Make sure to develop plans and rules for your triggers,so when that happens,u r prepared.
I am thinking of developing a 2 days default strict menu each time I see a new low so I don't sabotage my success.we will see if that;ll work.
lowcarbella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:18 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbella View Post
You can do this.
Make sure to develop plans and rules for your triggers,so when that happens,u r prepared.
I am thinking of developing a 2 days default strict menu each time I see a new low so I don't sabotage my success.we will see if that;ll work.
Wow, thanks for posting that...I'm going to work on this today while I'm home alone.

OP: Congratulations on your loss!! Your great attitude and willingness to dig deeper than a "diet" is a big part of success!!!

I am a multiple time re-starter as well. The difference for me this time is that I determined (6/11/11) that LC was my permanent WOE forever, because I believe in it for my health. I decided that whether I lost a pound or not, I wanted to be healthy in my old age, and that had to include getting rid of the sugar and wheat forever. I also accepted that I am not perfect, and I will mess up, but my one and only mission when I do eat something bad for me, is to get back on plan immediately. Even if that means eating foods that are not the best choice in general, but are sugar/starch free - I get right back on plan.

I'll also repeat Atkins words, "Your 'just this one taste won't hurt' rationalization is the kiss of failure for this way of eating" IMO the longer I'm in the LC/whole foods life, the more adversly I'm affected by binging on "bad" foods. What I mean by that is, when I used to have a binge, I could lose the water weight from it and continue losing more weight by the end of the week. If I have a binge now, I pay for it for weeks on the scale before I start losing again. I really think what Volek said about NEVER going off plan if at all possible is accurate, and it does get harder and harder to lose again the more "restarts" you have.

Anyway, good luck to you, I also agree with the poster who said - the more you read about it, the more you come here and read, the more your mind will be on track and in line with your goals! We all white knuckle it sometimes, it's the ones who work hard to stay on their program who get ultimate success. I hope that's you and me and everyone here!

Last edited by Bobbin; 03-05-2013 at 09:22 AM..
Bobbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:36 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Thank you! I, too, like the idea about e about the strict 2-day menu for new ows
I've worked one up and I'm going to try it. I'm 7 days with no cheats, and I'm down 4 lbs. I feel amazing - I'll take that!