LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Remind me again....

Why I should choose low carb (atkinish style) rather than low fat (weight watchers)? I'm kinda missing some dried beans and taters I live with my mom and she cooks 3 days and it is usually a fried, battered meat, potato (starch), dried bean (starch), and bread - true southerner. I always have to fix something different. Sometimes it does get hard to resist, especially when I know that if I chose to eat WW style, I could probably fit this into my points allowance. I start entertaining this idea and before you know it, I am switching back to WW. Then, I go to a meeting where they say...yes, you can have that doughnut as long as you have the points for it... I just cringe because yep, that is really healthy. If they would at least say...well, you can have it, but it would be better if you chose xxx. However, after hearing this stuff, I am ready to go back to low carb.
I guess that I just need some encouraging words.
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I eat low carb rather than Weight Watchers because:
1) I am less hungry eating low carb
2) I like the food choices on low carb
3) I lose weight when eating low carb and don't lose weight on Weight Watchers
4) I feel better--more energetic, better sleep, more even moods--eating low carb
5) I lost a bunch of other minor health problems (IBS, acne, eczema, circadian rhythm disorder, aches and pains) when switched to low carb
6) I lost all the markers of metabolic syndrome eating low carb and improved all my biomarkers

That is just what applies to me, of course. Do any or all of those statements apply to you?

I'm sure that Weight Watchers works well for many people. I'm not one of them. Are you? If so, maybe that is the better plan for you. You could try it out and always switch back to low carb later.

Last edited by svenskamae; 02-27-2013 at 03:53 PM..
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I eat low carb rather than Weight Watchers because:
1) I am less hungry eating low carb
2) I like the food choices on low carb
3) I lose weight when eating low carb and don't lose weight on Weight Watchers
4) I feel better--more energetic, better sleep, more even moods--eating low carb
5) I lost a bunch of other minor health problems (IBS, acne, eczema, circadian rhythm disorder, aches and pains) when switched to low carb
6) I lost all the markers of metabolic syndrome eating low carb and improved all my biomarkers

That is just what applies to me, of course. Do any or all of those statements apply to you?

I'm sure that Weight Watchers works well for many people. I'm not one of them. Are you? If so, maybe that is the better plan for you. You could try it out and always switch back to low carb later.
I did WW for years and kept my weight off. But I was miserable with constant cravings and hunger. If I had realized that cutting carbs would cut my appetite I would have done it years ago. It's one of the main advantages as far as I'm concerned but the low carb books don't emphasize it and WW doesn't acknowledge it at all.

I like starch and sugar too. (Who doesn't! It's delicious.) But I like not being obsessed with food all the time much more. I feel liberated.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
If you prefer WW, you can make healthy food choices. You don't have to listen to the "eat the doughnut' message.

I eat low carb because I'm extremely sensitive to carbs, and my appetite is incredibly at only 50g of carbs (my limit is about 25g).

But everyone is different, and I know people who eat 150-200g of carbs and thrive--and make healthy choices.

You have to know yourself and decide what would be best for you.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
I like the food better.

I'm more satisfied.

My appetite seems more "normal" -- I'm not constantly eating, nor thinking about food, and I feel like I've relearned what "true hunger" is.

It's nearly effortless -- I follow the rules of Atkins induction, track my carbs, and don't obsess about calories or other macronutrients. And when you follow the induction rules (ie. how much veg to have, how many oz of cheese, limit processed meats) the carb counting pretty much takes care of itself.

My blood sugar is more stable and I don't have crazy hunger, mood swings or crashes.

I can find something to eat in almost every restaurant.

You pretty much have to come up with your own reasons, though. Things that really mean something to you. No one else here will be able to convince you, it's a decision you have to make. For me, it was an easy one since doing WW triggered an eating disorder for me at a young age.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Becky
Stats: 178/178/140...48 years old
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: Start date: 11/17/2014
For me personally, I did WW 2 years ago for a full year, lost 20 lbs, was Constantly starving and making horrible food choices.

Low carb (Atkins) I tend to love in small doses, I can never seem to stick with it very long because after the first 2 weeks I rarely lose weight, most I ever lost on low carb was 8 lbs. I do however feel much better while low carbing....though in one round of low carbing I was a grumpy beast for the whole 2 months I did it.

I also did 3 months of JUDDD (pretty high carb), lost 20 lbs pretty effortlessly in 7 weeks but lost motivation and gained back 30! I am doing strict Atkins right now, feel good, not hungry, hope I can break the dreaded 3 month record and actually lose some weight this time (I'm exercising this time too).

Just my results, you should do what you feel comfortable with, I firmly believe no one diet is right for everyone.

Exercise 4x per week.
Drink more water (80+ oz per day)
~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
A WOE is highly personal. If you are happy & getting to your proper weight on WW, then that's fine.
I choose Atkins 1972 version because it's the only plan I can stick to... that works for me. I don't get heartburn on Atkins. You should be slightly hungry when it's time for your next meal only... but never REALLY hungry.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:45 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
No reason that you have to banish one or the other. Plenty of people have lost weight by switching to wholesome carbs and fats. If you can eat a potato without it causing snacking behavior then enjoy it. (I suspect most of us gained weight on factory powders and syrups, not home cooked plants)

Unfortunately any diet is doomed if someone else is in charge of the menu who isn't on the same page. Pretty much every plan discourages fried food and bread. I don't know the details of WW, but the idea of "paying" for a toxic food by reducing your allowance of nutritious food is so bass ackwards I don't know where to begin.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:05 PM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
I know that I prefer LC because it makes me feel better. Meaning not sluggish or lethargic, or 'sick & tired'. Of course that logic went out the window tonight when I bought some pistachio gelato.

It was an emotional purchase...
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:07 AM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /214.9/150 goal 5'9", 44 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Why?

Because I can lose weight while NEVER EVER being hungry.
Because I don't have to deal with hypoglycemia. I don't lose my mind or snap at my kids if I don't eat every 2 hours.
Because I'm not hungry again an hour after breakfast.
Because I feel energetic after eating, not drained like I need a nap.
Because I like not having IBS.
Because I like having the energy to play with my kids.
Because high-carb was slowly but surely killing me.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:55 AM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: snowmop
Stats: 113/89/90 4' 10" 67 yrs old
WOE: atkins
Start Date: Long, long ago!
Health reasons, period. Weight loss is the icing on the cake.
snowmop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
Because I really enjoy eating low carb foods, and I know I can stick to this in the long term, not just until I've lost the weight.

Because I can't stand counting things - calories, carbs, ratios - none of them. If I eat only the Atkins allowed foods (induction, mostly, but with the occasional extra carrot, onion, tomato, maybe nuts once every 2 weeks, yogurt in curries once a week) then I lose weight without counting a thing.

Because I can indulge myself in 'treat' foods like fillet steak with garlic butter, mushrooms in a creamy Parmesan sauce, avocados filled with prawns in mayo, pan-fried scallops with bacon - the list goes on! For just a little more carb expenditure, I can have duck á l'orange, Moroccan lamb, aubergine Parmigiana, venison with blackberry and red wine sauce - the things that make me happy, and I love cooking them.

Because low carb is free - I don't have to pay anyone to go to meetings or to tell me what I should and shouldn't be eating.

Because I believe low carb is the healthiest way to eat, and I feel much better when I'm doing it. Some of this will be down to the (60lb) weight loss itself, but the 'feeling better' happened in the first week or so, so it's not all about being slimmer. Better sleep, better mood, more energy, no after lunch slump, fewer hot flushes (yay!).

Bacon
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: abby!
Stats: 168/134/125
WOE: LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo41 View Post
If you prefer WW, you can make healthy food choices. You don't have to listen to the "eat the doughnut' message.

I eat low carb because I'm extremely sensitive to carbs, and my appetite is incredibly at only 50g of carbs (my limit is about 25g).

But everyone is different, and I know people who eat 150-200g of carbs and thrive--and make healthy choices.

You have to know yourself and decide what would be best for you.

Exactly! Everyone is deferent! These is no one right way. There are those who say the never get hungry on low-carb and so super well on it and there are those that are miserable on low carb . Also how sensitive are you to carbs? If WW worked for you, like Leo said, you can make it healthy and moderate carb and skip the donut. Good luck.
abby! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:43 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: 2 meals low carb, 1 meal my choice no snacks
Low carb is wonderful and it started me on a great healthy eating journey. I knew I had to switch it up when I was feeling "bitter" that my husband and daughter were eating sweet potato fries at dinner. For me there had to be a better way. The Carbohydrate Addict's Diet is a dream right now. I still have to make good choices, eat low carb, but this woe is better for me and my attitude---there are no forbidden foods at my RM (reward meal).

There is no perfect woe for everyone and there is no magic pill.

In the end, all you need is kindness. ~Jewel
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
I lost the first 30 pounds on WW but after the first week or two I was constantly hungry. I was also obsessed with my points and saving as many as possible for the end of the day because I can't sleep if I'm hungry. I started spending far too many points on overpriced 2-point snacks, fake ice cream with an ingredient list a mile long, etc. Worse, after the first few months I wasn't losing at all unless I was eating their frozen meals, snacks, etc.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
I think ww has a version that is low carb or lower car...at least they did years ago. I did low carb to learn to control hunger...I was out of control when hunger hit and now I can go most of a day and enjoy the day without thinking about when or what I can eat next...I like that control. I also work at a job where my lunch and breaks can be few and far between, so it is nice to be able to know I am not a slave to my hunger...I control it mostly by making good filling food choices that balance my body's hunger response.

Good luck with the WOE you choose. As we all know the only way that works is one you can make sustainable...and realize that LC bring many other health benefits, for me that would be better cholesterol and triglycerides.

Remember also that food you miss will be added back in a little at a time to see how much of them you can tolerate when it comes time to maintain...at that time you will have the choice of eating grains, beans, rice, pasta, etc. These foods are
dangerous to me however as I am a carb addict and don't have self control...once I start eating them I keep eating until there is none left...carbs stir horrible craving in me.

Once again good luck on your weight loss journey.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I've lost about 125 pounds eating LC and am NEVER hungry and have NEVER been healthier!

I hold welcome wagon responsible for getting fat in the first place....to me....it never became a life style! Going back to when I was in my 20's (now 58) and they made you eat liver once a week.... Was either weighing and measuring or counting everything and checking boxes. I was either on or I was off program!

So, I would go off and gain 10 pounds.....go back on and lose 8, go off and gain 20 etc. I used to collect those little weigh in books and had a ton for each time I rejoined! It NEVER became a lifestyle....it was ALWAYS a diet.

With LC, this is just how I eat....anything else is just an abnormality now,
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:09 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
Start Date: July 2012
I feel that I should clarify by saying that I know WW can work. And if you can incorporate some of the good things about low carb into it, it might work better. By being mindful of how carbs affect your appetite and cravings, there's no reason you can't make it work for you.

I honestly wonder why WW hasn't incorporated this knowledge into its plan. (Well, I don't wonder that much -- I'm fairly sure they make a boatload of money on their products.) But still, the combining of their patented portion control program with appetite control seems like such a winner to me that it's too bad they haven't gone that way.

As I said, I was successful for years on it (and before that low carb, low fat eating in general) so it's certainly possible. But it's a very different approach than low carb which depends upon controlling cravings, not willpower.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: RDBhan
Stats: (198) 190/155 5'10"
WOE: Protein Power; Maintenance since 8/11
Start Date: June 2002, refocus 1/2011
There's no need to convince you to do low carb. There's no need to convince yourself either. The proof, they say, is in the pudding. If WW works, go with it! If LC works, go with it! But realize no matter the WOE, it's a lifelong committment, not a get-thin-quick scheme. So eat whichever way works best for you, and stick to it.
RDBhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotay60 View Post
Why I should choose low carb (atkinish style) rather than low fat (weight watchers)? I'm kinda missing some dried beans and taters I live with my mom and she cooks 3 days and it is usually a fried, battered meat, potato (starch), dried bean (starch), and bread - true southerner. I always have to fix something different. Sometimes it does get hard to resist, especially when I know that if I chose to eat WW style, I could probably fit this into my points allowance. I start entertaining this idea and before you know it, I am switching back to WW. Then, I go to a meeting where they say...yes, you can have that doughnut as long as you have the points for it... I just cringe because yep, that is really healthy. If they would at least say...well, you can have it, but it would be better if you chose xxx. However, after hearing this stuff, I am ready to go back to low carb.
I guess that I just need some encouraging words.
I think if you read either or both the Atkin's and High Protein books, you'd know the reason why to choose low carb.

One of the posters (Erin65) in our thread is doing High Fat diet ON WW. She's doing fabulous with consistent losses.

Basically, it's up to you to make choices when you're on WW. I'd join, but can't financially do it.

KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #21
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MattWCZY
Stats: 57 in. Waist/57 in. Waist/38 in. Waist + Energy
WOE: Something Between Atkins and Paleo
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
I don't know the details of WW, but the idea of "paying" for a toxic food by reducing your allowance of nutritious food is so bass ackwards I don't know where to begin.
Really need to share that one with my friend one WW trying to steer me away from LC! Haha.
MattWCZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:49 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by picklepete View Post
No reason that you have to banish one or the other. Plenty of people have lost weight by switching to wholesome carbs and fats. If you can eat a potato without it causing snacking behavior then enjoy it. (I suspect most of us gained weight on factory powders and syrups, not home cooked plants)

Unfortunately any diet is doomed if someone else is in charge of the menu who isn't on the same page. Pretty much every plan discourages fried food and bread. I don't know the details of WW, but the idea of "paying" for a toxic food by reducing your allowance of nutritious food is so bass ackwards I don't know where to begin.
You always give the best advice!
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rotay60
Stats: 142/136.6/110 for now, 4'11 1/2"
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: Re-start again 7/21/14 135/135.4/110ish
Thanks so much for all the responses. I love this site, but sometimes you can get a bit overwhelmed trying to figure out the best woe for not only weight loss but more importantly good health.
rotay60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:50 PM   #24
Come join us on the Game Board

Location: retired now - I ski 50+ days annually and do marathons. 1st TIME GRANDMOTHER 6/18/07
Gallery: Sharon
Stats: GO UCLA - BEAT USC. ALWAYS STAY POSITIVE
You should pick the program that fits your lifestyle best. We are all different here and each has chosen their own path to weight loss. What works for one person might not be something that you can sustain/enjoy.
Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
I don't know why you couldn't have a potato and some beans every once in a while and still be low carb. Everybody has their own tolerances for carbs, but I have heard "if it grew on a plant, eat it. If it was MADE IN a plant, avoid it." The 2 items you mentioned, though relatively high in carbs, are trans fat free and still much healthier than most carbage out there. They are still "real food" rather than some processed factory crap.

I have used WW before, but it didn't do the trick for me. I like low carb better, but everyone must find their own path. Good luck.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:10 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/138/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
Here's my crazy: i'll eat 24 pts worth of Oreos and convince myself it's ok because I stayed within my point allowance
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:38 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Ocean
Stats: 240/144/ Below 145 5'1.5"
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: June 2010
For me it just comes down to personal preference. My favorite foods are red meat and cheese. I just never have been a big veggies eater. I love desserts, but there are tons of low carb dessert alternatives for me. I don't miss breads at all. I do miss french fries, fried and battered foods, and refried beans a little. I have found that I can work limited quanities of them into my carb allowance on occasion.

You just really need to find a way of eating that fits your personal tastes and lifestyle. It might be low carb but it might be something else.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sloppail
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: JUDDD Restart May 20 2014
This is exactly what I needed to read this morning...thank you everyone for all your wisdom

Kim
sloppail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:19 AM   #29
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: MissMerize
Stats: 220.8/212.4/142
WOE: Meat and Martini Diet, cycled with oopsie rolls
Start Date: February 16, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotay60 View Post
I live with my mom and she cooks 3 days and it is usually a fried, battered meat, potato (starch), dried bean (starch), and bread - true southerner. I always have to fix something different.
I don't live with my mom anymore, but if I did I would expect this menu too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post

I like starch and sugar too. (Who doesn't! It's delicious.) But I like not being obsessed with food all the time much more. I feel liberated.
Yep - it's all about killing the hunger for me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDBhan View Post
There's no need to convince you to do low carb. There's no need to convince yourself either. The proof, they say, is in the pudding. If WW works, go with it! If LC works, go with it! But realize no matter the WOE, it's a lifelong commitment, not a get-thin-quick scheme. So eat whichever way works best for you, and stick to it.
ITA - you have to go with what will work best for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon View Post
You should pick the program that fits your lifestyle best. We are all different here and each has chosen their own path to weight loss. What works for one person might not be something that you can sustain/enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biochic View Post
Here's my crazy: i'll eat 24 pts worth of Oreos and convince myself it's ok because I stayed within my point allowance

This is the issue (for me anyway too). Not to mention those cookies would make me even more hungry.

You have to remember too - it's not like you can never have a piece of cake again or a fried dinner. It's about moderation after you reach goal as well as knowing the consequences for over indulging.

My other half is eating low fat, and I'm eating low carb. He tried low carb but kept slipping in the bread and skim milk but was so frustrated that I was eating bacon and cheese and losing.

We've found a happy medium in the house right now.

I'll cook up simple fish or chicken, make a giant salad to go with it or veggie, and toss him some garlic bread or rice and let him put some croutons in his salad. I'll put some bacon and cheese in my salad.

I'm sure there is a way you can work with your mother. Have her dip your meat in a straight egg batter or just fry it with the oil and seasoning before putting in the battered meat. Then it's just a matter of you having a side of your own already prepared. Salad can be made in the morning and it's just ready to pull out at dinner time.

We have bread here in the house, but I have pork rinds sitting right next to it so there is something else for me to substitute. I think the suggestive option thing works well.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:20 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Beachy
Stats: 226.5/166/145
WOE: LC/MP/HF (NK)
Start Date: July, 29, 2012
I did WW for a while. I did fairly well on it, too -- at least for the first month or so. Then the weight loss started to slow down. I hated having to track my food. At a meeting one night, our leader was talking about how she has been following WW for 15 years and still has to track her food. As soon as she eases up on her tracking, her weight starts to slowly creep up. I found that so depressing. The thought of tracking my food for the rest of my life was daunting. I don't think I ever really did it faithfully for more than a week at a time.

I love my LC life. Even when I was doing WW and many other diets, I knew I couldn't sustain them. This..... Well, I really, truly feel I could eat this way for the rest of my life.

Beachy
Just Beachy is offline   Reply With Quote