LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ecguy
Stats: 289/274/200
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 02/26/2013
What was your moment of motivation???

You know that time when you said "I have to do something about this weight, now!"

Mine was this past weekend when almost all of my clothes were too tight/didnt fit and I was going out. And btw those clothes that dont fit are my fat clothes. lol You know, the ones that are supposed to fit no matter if you gain some weight or not! I looked in the mirror and said, DUDE you gotta get a grip!

The weird thing is that my health has gone down the last few months and every dr said that I needed to lose weight, but that didnt do it. I just kept doing what I had been doing, but somehow it was looking in the mirror disgusted that my fat clothes were too tight that sparked the commitment to life change, not the medical issues.

Well, I am just getting that grip started and hopefully by summer it will be a stranglehold!!!

Last edited by ecguy; 02-27-2013 at 12:11 PM..
ecguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: Kimberli33
Stats: 200 /166/149? 5ft 6 1/2 in. Age 42
WOE: LC-My Way start 1/27 then JUDDD on 3/12 2 171.5lbs
Start Date: Jan 27,2013 at 199 for the LAST time!
Unfortunately mine was my health,Ive tried to lose for 5 plus yrs and although I hated the way I looked in the mirror(carried it ALL in my middle),it wasnt enough.I started having severe back pain and went for treatments.My spine was a mess and I figured if I was going to pay $$$ to help myself I was going to do all I could to get well.So I cut sugar,junk,and carbs and started walking.Fast forward 1 month and ive lost 20 of the 40 I want to lose and 4inches off my waist. My back is also 85 percent improved.Im so glad I got real with myself and did this.
March Goal 169lbs-met March 13th
Aprils Goal 159lbs-
Goal Weight-149lbs-
Current weight -189lbs after months of insanity
Kimberli33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeelover
Stats: 237/just restarted/125 5'4"
Mine was also health. Within the last year I was diagnosed with high blood pressure, I was getting close to pre-diabetic, and my hips, lower-back and knees were frequently sore. Finally the health problems were kicking in and I just knew it was time to do something. I'm feeling better already!
coffeelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I also had health concerns.
I have taken lipitor and tricor for over ten years.
My weight was stuck at about thirty pounds over and I just got tired of it.
Someone I know posted a link to the Wheat Belly blog on facebook and I read it with great interest. I really wanted to shed the excess weight, and get off the statins.
So I did some additonal research and decided to give LC a try.
The weight started coming off easily enough but the big test was going to be
my lipid profile. I got my first LC blood test about three months after starting and
all my levels improved. ALL.
Wow, was I impressed. An LC convert was born.
Old 02-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
I've been messing with losing weight for the last several years, but was always thinking I would instead of doing. Weight all fat, little lean muscle.

Then daughter sent me a top and slacks for Christmas. When I tried on the top, every friggin fat bulge was showing. I made a deal with myself that if I started exercising consistently for two weeks, I'd keep the top, otherwise I would exchange it.

First tried losing weight just calorie counting, but with muscle weight developing I wasn't going anywhere. Started Atkins 2/13 and at least have lost some. Had to stop cardio and weights due to joint pain, but have gone to chiropractor and think those are ok now, but starting exercising easy with yoga at first.

71 yrs young and it's been a struggle, but I've hung in there.

Kimberlie...Awesome results!

KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
There were a lot of obvious signs I was fat as heck. There towards the end, before LC, I'd fall asleep in the chair shortly after dinner. I was about to have to get 4x shirts and fatter jeans. My belly was humongous.

But what got me, what shocked me most, was cankles. I was barefooted sitting in a chair and I dropped something or looked down for some reason and was stunned to see I no longer had ankles. At first I thought they were just really swollen. Then I realized I was just fat as heck and getting fatter. *That* was when I got Why We Get Fat off my bookshelf and started reading it.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Luca
Stats: 204/159/145
WOE: Low carb
Start Date: 7/4/11
Great question...
Not sure of what made it "click" for me BUT being depressed, feeling tired and wearing awful clothes were factors. Now when I look at old pics and videos of myself 2 years ago, I feel very sad at who I was. Thinking of this keeps me motivated to continue to lose the last 20 pounds I need to lose. I am scared to death of ever going back to that BUT thanks for reminding me with this post.
Luca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I tried and tried and tried, for years, to lose weight through just calorie restriction, exercise, etc. on high carb vegetarian diets. Didn't work. Not because I ate off plan but because high carb means no weight loss for me, as an insulin-resistent person. I read an article finding higher weight losses in older women eating low carb and thought, "Well, I never tried that, and I'm willing to give up being a vegetarian if it works when nothing else does." And I tried it, succeeded in losing weight, feel better, and am NOT going back to how I used to eat.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigsaw
Stats: 252/191.5/180(mini goal) sz 24/18/?
WOE: Metabolism/Diabetes Miracle-step2
Start Date: 12/26/2012
Diabetes. I was diagnosed last year at 43... What? Cripes! What have I done to myself? At first I didn't know what to do, what to eat. Called my sister who is skinny as a rail, crying, scared, didn't know what to do (the doctor didn't tell me what to do, only that I had diabetes). Sister helped me, gave me some low carb, sugar free cook books. Gave me some food and snack Ideas as well. Went from there eating lower carb, now low carb. Wish it had been how I looked that made me change but it didn't. But i'm changing now, even with diabetes i'm more healthy now than I have been in years! Good luck and
Jigsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #10
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
A high blood sugar level last fall led me to researching diabetes and it really made an impression with me (my grandfather died from the disease). Thankfully my glucose test came back normal, but I decided to be proactive and cut back on sugar/hfcs and lose the weight that had crept on.
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
I was in the waiting room at the doctor's office. They had a video playing about health issues. The video stated that 95% of all diseases are totally preventable. The #1 change for health was get the weigh off. For some reason, that has stayed in my mind.

DH and I had just been through a rough year with his Dad. My FIL's last few years were spent in an out of nursing homes. He was morbidly obese and was in diapers. It was a real wakeup call for both of us.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:48 AM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
The first time, it was the fact that my best friend was getting married, and I wanted to look "not fat" in the maid of honor dress. Man, that was over ten years ago, and life has changed dramatically since then! The wedding didn't happen, and life kept on moving.

This time, I was turning forty this autumn, and, though my health isn't generally good, I had been lucky to escape weight or lifestyle-related conditions, and I had a feeling that luck wasn't going to hold forever. I already have MS and several other health problems; if I ate myself into diabetes or high blood pressure or the like, I'd be so freaking pissed at myself! It was time to grow up and get this weight off. Period.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:39 AM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Biochic
Stats: 192/143/?? 5'2"
WOE: Atkinesque
Start Date: 12/28/12
I am just sick and tired of being fat. Every few years I'd get thin then gain it all back ridiculous. I was diagnosed with high BP last month. I'm 51 yrs old and I'd like to live a long healthy life. Fat is not the way to accomplish that goal
Biochic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 04:04 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
My back had gone, was 21 and walking with a cane, was 212 lbs and so unhappy I could never tell. My ex was a distant memory, he was one of the factors that made me gain weight, and I had always promised myself I would lose the weight at some point in life.
Then one day I thought there weren't any limiting factors any more, ex gone, back broken...2+2=time to lose it!
PaleoRainy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:12 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jennbeingme
Stats: 180/158.4/135
WOE: lo carbing
Start Date: restart Sept 1/ 2011
We like to hike, canoe cross-country ski etc... My kids are 7 and 9 and I found last year I was having trouble keeping up. My asthma was getting worse and my clothes weren't fitting. I think it was a bit of everything really. But what really got to me last year was watching my mom. ( Who had NEVER been able to ( wanted to???) ski or hike with us when we were kids) She is now 76. Has struggled with weight all her life. Is now diabetic, approaching 300 pounds, can't walk more than 1/2 a block. I WILL NOT do this to myself or my family. I'm still getting my diet under control but I'm going to the gym regularly and slowly getting in shape for a busy summer. I will not be the observer in my family's life- I am a full participant -dang it
jennbeingme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Gibbs
Stats: 322/306/180-ish (5'6")
WOE: My own low-carb way
Start Date: 8/20/14 for yet another time
Walking up the bleachers at school to my sons wrestling match. OMG I thought 'I can't take 7 more years of this,' pain in my knees and I was getting out of breath.
Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Bobbin
WOE: High fat, moderate protein, low carb
A year and a half ago, I was about 9 months post op for colon cancer, and about 260 lbs. I spent that 9 mos paralyzed by fear that I was going to die of cancer, that it wasn't over, that it was just a matter of time before they found it somewhere else. Around that time I read an article that said cancer feeds off of sugar, and the lightbulb went off. No one can guarantee their future, or how long they have left in this world, but I can sure as heck try to stack the odds in my favor. At that moment I made my steadfast rule, no sugar no starch. I may not always be perfect, I may have a very rare "cheat", but from that moment my regular, every day, I always go back to it way of eating is no sugar no starch.

Unfortunately I only lost 50 lbs that way, and have since added in exercise. I haven't lost any more real weight, but my body is getting tighter and thinner and my clothes looser, and sometime with in the next month or so I hope to drop down to a 14....finally!!

I have learned during this year long "stall" (would like to be another 50 lbs lighter but my health is priority #1) that the true key to staying with this WOE is to really, truly accept it IS my PERMANENT WOE. Try to keep your motivation when your body says it's not letting go of anymore pounds....that is my focus.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:21 AM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
During a weekend I spent with my parents, I got a good look at myself in my mother's all-around mirrored bathroom. It was shocking. At 250 pounds, I was fat everywhere. Even my shoulders were fat. I was completely appalled and had visions of my daughter growing up with a mother too fat to do fun things with her -- rollerskating, swimming, hiking. I decided that I absolutely had to do something and joined WW when I got home. (If only I'd initially chosen LC, but oh well.)
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
I hadn't been to this site for a long, long time and found it again. I was reading and reading and the light bulb went on. I decided it was time to get my act together and I got back on LC the next day.
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:35 AM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: 2 meals low carb, 1 meal my choice no snacks
1st thing that clicked was when I got on the scale at the doctor's office and I was over 200 lbs - 216 to be exact---that frightened me. I hadn't been on a scale in a long time and I just figured I put on a few pounds.....a few was over 50 lbs!

2nd thing was that I realized I was crying all the time about my weight! I had to stop crying and do something!
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:45 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tandt
Stats: 297/227/?
WOE: moderate carbs
Start Date: September 2011
September 2011 - Weight 297 - WAS NOT GOING TO HIT 300!
tandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:21 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GAVIV
Stats: RNY 12/26/12 234.4/148/125-130?
WOE: Trying to stay low carb as possible
I got really serious when I was told my insulin was high. I have two little kids who are my world. I swore to myself I would be healthy for them and be a good role model, especially for my daughter. I don't want her to grow up being the fat kid like I was.
GAVIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: choconut68
Stats: 249/242/150 5'4"
Start Date: Restart: June 21st, 2011 TODAY
When my blood sugars were over 350. Was warned by Dr when my average was running 140. Listened to family who said those numbers weren't high. Year later, I'm on meds and trying to learn how to get these numbers down and afford the equipment to keep an eye on it. Those strips aren't cheap even with insurance. So NOW, I have to work harder to get the weight off and get healthier. I have my 2nd grandchild on the way... even more reason to try to stick around longer...and be healthier for them.
choconut68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
My motivator was diabetes. Plain and simple. As the years went by my weight increased along with my meds as I followed the guidelines of the American Diabetes Association. I was taking 4 long acting Nitro pills a day for chest pains too.

To lose weight I had to starve myself eating less than 1200 calories a day. I was always hungry. I really didn’t know where to turn until one day (December 29, 2010 to be exact) on a computer podcast one of the guest mentioned, in passing, a book he was reading: “Why We Get Fat”.

I bought the book and a million light bulbs went on in my brain. Finally everything made sense. January 15, 2011 I started low carb and the rest is history.
Denis Waitley
Jrw85705 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #25
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I went to sleep weighing 175 and woke up weighing 360
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:58 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
My husband being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes is what did it. We both immediately went on a low carb diet and plan to eat this way for life.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #27
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Bones68charger
Stats: 283/250/190
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: November/2012
My three month old son, and future children need their dad for as long as possible! My wife and son are the biggest motivator I could ever need. I don't care about being skinny, I don't care about smaller jeans. I want to be with my family as long as possible. I am watching my father (who has heart disease, and diabetes) slowly die, and I do not want my son to have to go through the same thing.

Since he was born I have had no desire to eat any other way.
Bones68charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:59 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: MtherGoos
Stats: 300.6/126.0/150
WOE: Atkins 72
Start Date: 2/22/13
I saw the pictures from my nieces bridal shower and just wanted to cry. So humiliating. I had no idea I looked so terrible.
MtherGoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amundson
Stats: 285/164/155
WOE: Atkins (w/ Protein Power ideas also)
Start Date: April 2010
I really hate to admit this but in two major life changes it was being upset with doctors that got me going.
amundson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:01 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: baileygirl3
Stats: 177/135/135
WOE: Low Carb
Mine was being at the beach feeling really disgusting in my bathingsuit and deciding then and there to get serious about my life and woe...been going strong every since! Determined to feel good this summer in my swimwear
baileygirl3 is offline   Reply With Quote