Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lillo
new to the site and need help

Hi there i have been on induction for 3 months now lost 5lbs in the first 2 weeks and have lost nothing since, been keeping going and have even started an exercise routine but nothing seems to help. seems that i will keep within a 3lb range every time i weigh myself and its getting really hard now. starting to think nothing will work for me. all im eating is meat, eggs and some broccoli about twice a week. I even brought the ketone sticks and it shows me in purple everyday so i dont know what im doing wrong but its obviously something as i havnt even lost any inches.

please help
lillo is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitcub
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/19/09...this time
Ok...first of all, welcome to this WOL (way of life)! Do you have the book?
Pick up Dr. Atikins New Diet Revolution and start reading if you haven't already.

Secondly, it sounds like you aren't eating very much. You should be eating a lot more veggies than 'some broccoli'. Are you eating salads? Are you getting plenty of good fats in? Avacodos, butter, mayo, ranch, olive oil, etc? How is your water intake?

Perhaps if you posted a detailed menu of 2 or 3 days, the great folks here on the forum will help you with some recommendations.

Also, you say you've been on induction for 3 months. While it's certainly ok to stay at induction levels for a long duration, it isn't necessarily better. Many find they stall out and things get moving again once they start moving up the carb ladder, according to plan.
Old 02-27-2013, 02:20 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Try measuring and entering food into an online tracker and report back with how many calories, carbs, fat grams, and protein grams you are eating per day. It sounds like you aren't eating enough; some people can't lose weight if they eat too little.

Maybe the new exercise routine is causing your muscles to hang onto water to heal and concealing fat loss. Consider dropping exercise for 2-3 days, getting lots of sleep, drinking lots of water, and then get weighed again. Maybe fat loss will show up more then.

If the only vegetable you are eating is "some broccoli about twice a week," then you may be lacking some vitamins and minerals, which can again cause your body to hang onto fat. I agree with kitcub about adding in salads, fats, and more vegetables.

It sounds like you have been eating more of a Stillman or Dukan high protein plan than Atkins. I agree that you should pick a plan, read the book, and follow it to the letter for at least a few weeks. Atkins requires more veggies than you report eating.

Good luck and don't give up.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Well, we need a little bit more detail!

Give us what you actually ate yesterday, for example, and we can probably help.

You list your sources of protein and vegetables, but not your sources of fat, or how MUCH you're eating, or how often, what you're drinking or how much....

These boards are great at giving help, but the more detail you give, the more useful that help will be.

Let's start with what you ate yesterday. Be honest -- even if you didn't go 100% typical or what you'd planned to do, list what you ACTUALLY ate and when.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: lillo
well what i ate yesterday was a chicken breast with bacon, and an omelette for dinner made with 3 eggs. so far today i have had tuna and mayo and some lettuce. i must be doing something wrong but just trying to figure out what it is. started out 3 months ago at 176 lbs and now i just hover from 169 to 172, im 5ft 7 but it seems im just stuck here have been for over 2 months.
lillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #6
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Doesn't sound like you are eating enough too me and your only vegetable mentioned is iceberg lettuce...get your hands on an induction food list and see what portions of those foods you are supposed to eat...you look more high protein than high fat moderate protein and low carb.

Have you picked a plan and read the book? You don't have a plan listed. If not I would suggest it, as I tried to muttle my way through it and didn't know why it worked and how it worked(the right way). After I got the book and got serious the pounds started coming off.

Good luck, I'm sure more will chime in with help.

And when posting a menu please list by meal and include everything you addeds including drinks and condiment...like the omelet...was it only 3 eggs and no milk, cheese, or veggies. What was the tuna salad made with...this all adds up and helps us to figure where you could use some guidance.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back

Last edited by lterry913; 02-28-2013 at 08:18 AM..
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:43 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: janetsbreeze
Stats: 197/186.6/130; 5'2"
Start Date: January 19, 2011
I agree, it sounds as if you aren't eating enough.

Try an online food trakcer to see exactly how many carbs, protein grams and fat grams you are eating to get a good idea.

Also, what is your starting weight and what is your goal weight?
janetsbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
OK, so... 1 chicken breast, and... let's call it 2 slices of bacon?

That's a grand total of 7g of fat.

A 3-egg omelette is 21g of fat. A grand total of 28g of fat, vs. around 44g protein!

With that, almost no vegetable matter, and low-quality vegetables (iceberg) at that.

From an Atkins or ketogenic perspective, you should be eating MORE fat than protein, not half the fat.

Why are you eating so little? What plan are you attempting to follow?

To give you a counter-example, here's what I ate yesterday:

B -- Coffee, with about 3 TBS coconut oil (CO) and 1 TBS Heavy Whipping Cream (HWC)
Snack -- A big cup of water I used to wash down the vitamins I'd forgotten!
Lunch -- 10 chicken wings, with around 12 celery sticks, dipped in bleu cheese
Dinner -- collard greens (cooked in bacon fat). A few ounces (3-4 small slices) of steak and 3 shrimp on a bed of spring greens, topped with about an ounce of shredded cheese and guacamole.

Not my most veggie-rich day, I'll grant...

You say, "Induction", which sounds like Atkins. But you're eating MUCH too low-fat, and much too LITTLE to be doing Induction... Why aren't you eating?
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote