Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by facelessnumber View Post
I'm not discouraged yet, but the idea that this is the best I can do, and that constant exercise and induction-level carbs is what it will take just to maintain this weight, is a bit of a downer if I let myself think about it.

I'm kind of hoping that I can get enough lean mass and lose enough more fat that my base metabolism naturally resists my genetic tendency to be obese. Or does that even really happen?
For what it's worth, I know some bodybuilders who were obese for most of their lives -- and who are from very obese families -- but they haven't been over 10-12% bodyfat since originally losing the excess weight, and these guys regularly "cut" down to competition levels of bodyfat (less than 5%). In fact, everybody in my neighborhood still calls one guy "Fat Mike" even though Mike hasn't been over 10% bodyfat for about 7 years. So people can permanently change, regardless of genetics.

But when the physical changes comes as a result of lifestyle changes, I think you have to maintain the lifestyle change in order to maintain the changed physique. Tom Venuto -- a champion bodybuilder, bodybuilding coach, and personal trainer -- says that "habit keeps you going." And Venuto has talked about how even some of his most successful bodybuilding clients sometimes fall into previous bad lifestyle habits when they're on "bulking" cycles and gain so much bodyfat that they can't "cut" down in time for contests. So if your "habits" have permanently changed, then YOU have permanently changed. And there's no reason to believe you'll go back to where you started.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2013, 06:53 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Well I lost down to 170 at one point but it's come back up, seems to hover around 174 most consistently. I haven't changed anything - still eating by induction rules, still exercising, still doing the same things that got me to this point, but in a month and ten days I've lost a mind-blowing three pounds. Still wearing 32's and S's. I guess if I'm going to be stuck somewhere this is an alright place to be, but I do wish I could drop just a bit more. I don't know if I'm stalled or what. Maybe nothing's happening, or maybe it's just become more subtle at this point.

I'm not discouraged yet, but the idea that this is the best I can do, and that constant exercise and induction-level carbs is what it will take just to maintain this weight, is a bit of a downer if I let myself think about it.

I'm kind of hoping that I can get enough lean mass and lose enough more fat that my base metabolism naturally resists my genetic tendency to be obese. Or does that even really happen?
Google "Weight Set-Points" and the info will keep you from getting discouraged. As far as your last paragraph, yes, it will happen. However, it takes a good year to fully set your new set-point.

My daughter did Jenny Craig a year and half ago and with their plan one gets their sign-up money back if they maintain their weight for a year. Weight Set-Points is the reason why. Once someone loses weight, then the body still wants to return to the former set-point. BTW, she did get her money back as she maintained her loss.

Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: facelessnumber
Stats: 265/167/165
WOE: Induction+high protein+weights
Start Date: 7/2012
Thanks for the insight and encouragement. I can keep up this way of eating for a good while longer I think, although not indefinitely. I never intend to go back to overeating, or eating without regard for carbohydrate and protein content, but I'm certainly not going to do strict induction for the rest of my life. So, if I have a goal, this is it: To come to a point where my body's natural equilibrium, or "set point," is a healthy weight. To accomplish this, it looks like I need to continue building lean mass while losing fat if at all possible, or at least hold what I've got for a year if that's the best I can do.

It still bothers me that the scale has gone up about five pounds in the past month or so. I can't account for why. But I also can't tell where it went, so that's something. I can't say whether it's five pounds of fat or lean tissue.
facelessnumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:01 AM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lanita
Stats: 159/141/145- 42 y/o- 5'5"
WOE: Atkins 2002- OWL, less than 30g carbs
Start Date: March 12, 2013
Have you stopped smoking? I smoked for 20 years and I gained just 3 lbs before getting my diet under control- started WW, lost that 3 plus kept going until counting points stopped working... When I started walking and running/ cycling regularly I felt so great! After a few weeks I began to be able to breathe so deeply I thought my ribs would crack!what I'm trying to say is, don't worry about gaining weight when you stop smoking. The better workouts you will be able to achieve will help you balance your weight. You've got your diet under control, so I bet you'll do great!
lanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:58 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharss View Post
Google "Weight Set-Points" and the info will keep you from getting discouraged. As far as your last paragraph, yes, it will happen. However, it takes a good year to fully set your new set-point.
The "set point" theory was the predominant scientific model for a long time because, in most mammals, bodyfat levels are predominantly regulated by biological and physiological factors. The brain and neurotransmitters along with the hypothalamus and hormone signaling systems mechanically regulate bodyfat in most mammals. This is one of the reasons why we don't find many obese mammals (other than humans) in food-rich natural environments. This phenomena in other mammals has helped researchers make some important physiological discoveries because obesity in other mammals is often the result of a genetic abnormality, and isolating those abnormalities has helped researchers find many of the physiological mechanisms that control bodyfat regulation. For example, the hormone "leptin" was discovered when researchers studied obese rats that lived in a colony of "normal" bodyweight rats. It turns out that the obese rats had excess bodyfat as the result of a genetic abnormality that affects the hormone leptin.

But the past couple of decades of research suggest that humans are a bit more complicated than other mammals, in that human bodyweight regulation may be as significantly influenced by environment as by biological factors. Human populations that live in food-rich environments have significantly higher levels of obesity than human populations that live in areas with more food scarcity. Members of the same family who live in industrialized nations accumulate more bodyfat than their direct, genetic relatives that live in developing nations. So the biological and physiological "set point" theory is currently looked at alongside the behavioral and environmental "settling point" theory. Basically, the current research looks at the way that human bodyweight is controlled by mechanical factors AND is also heavily influenced by behavior, and the ways that human food behavior is further influenced by environment. Human bodyfat levels are higher in what researchers call "obesogenic environments" in a way that doesn't directly correspond to strictly biological factors.

Here is a really good overview, from 2011, of where the theories originated and where they currently stand:
Set points, settling points and some alternative models: theoretical options to understand how genes and environments combine to regulate body adiposity
Set points, settling points and some alternative models: theoretical options to understand how genes and environments combine to regulate body adiposity
If you think about the way that humans behave in the natural environment, this complex combination of influences on bodyfat regulation kind of makes sense because the most distinctive characteristic of our species is our extremely complex reasoning ability. So it kind of makes sense to me that the composition of our physical bodies could be determined by our thoughts and desires with regard to food rather than being solely determined by underlying biological factors, as we see in so many other mammals.

Even some of the physical mechanisms of human bodyfat regulation are enacted through behavior rather than through internal physiological balancing mechanisms. For example, one of the physiological responses to dramatic reductions in the bodyfat level is "hyperphagia," which is overeating, which is a behavioral response. Bodybuilders who cut down below 5% bodyfat, for example, become obsessed with food in the weeks following their "cut." The "Minnesota Starvation Study," which examined the behavior of men who were put on a starvation diet for an extended period of time, documented a lot of cognitive and behavioral changes during and after their period of starvation. It's not just that humans get "hungry," humans have very calculated and complex cognitive responses to food when the physical environment changes.

I have tremendous respect for all creatures great and small, but humans are AWESOMELY complex beings and we interact with the natural environment in ways that are absolutely, extraordinarily, endlessly fascinating.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

That's an interesting and important point. Our weight is regulated by both physiological and psychological means. I'd just like to get to a point where the mental side isn't bearing all of the load. Right now I feel like it's such a large part of what defines me. It's a dominant subject in my thoughts, almost like I've replaced "being a fat person" with "being an obsessive narcissistic health freak" as a defining characteristic, which is almost an equally negative idea to me. As much as I used to hate "those people" for most of my life, here I am holding up traffic in the grocery store while I read every label, and taking pictures of myself in the mirror every couple of weeks while I flex my muscles. I'm starting to feel like a real *********, if you'll pardon the term, (and I know I look like one in those pictures, although I tell myself they serve a purpose.) So, if making an obsession out of it is the way to get results, I'm going to keep doing that, but only because I hold the belief I eventually won't have to.

Sorry if I went to rambling. This is really the only place where I feel comfortable airing out these thoughts.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:09 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

I noticed within this thread, you mentioned that you are soon to quit smoking. Have you quit yet?
Old 05-21-2013, 01:45 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanita View Post
I noticed within this thread, you mentioned that you are soon to quit smoking. Have you quit yet?
Still a pack a day, at least. I'm going to quit soon, and when I do I will commit to it hard core, but I'm not in that mindset yet.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #39
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Phranquie
Stats: 325+/149/125/ (5'-3" & 52 yo)
WOE: Moderate Carb
Start Date: Restart: 7/16/12
Quote:
I'd just like to get to a point where the mental side isn't bearing all of the load. Right now I feel like it's such a large part of what defines me. It's a dominant subject in my thoughts, almost like I've replaced "being a fat person" with "being an obsessive narcissistic health freak" as a defining characteristic, which is almost an equally negative idea to me.,,, So, if making an obsession out of it is the way to get results, I'm going to keep doing that, but only because I hold the belief I eventually won't have to.
I can totally relate to this! Glad you could share it here with people who get it.
Phranquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:29 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
It's a dominant subject in my thoughts, almost like I've replaced "being a fat person" with "being an obsessive narcissistic health freak" as a defining characteristic, which is almost an equally negative idea to me.
Please forgive me for continuing to butt into your thread with my weird observations... But I feel like I have to say that I think you're being a bit unfair to yourself. "Obsessive" is one thing -- if you think you're devoting too much mental energy to maintaining your lifestyle, then that's a *fair* concern. But I think the idea that it's "narcissistic" or that you're being a "freak" are *unfair* stigmas that society applies to people who have aesthetic physical goals.

My frame of reference is bodybuilding -- which is an athletic pursuit that requires intense dedication, years of physical training, and a substantial amount of education about physiology, biology and chemistry. Bodybuilders are often publicly called "freaks" and/or are openly made fun. I'm very close to a lot of bodybuilders and I couldn't possibly count the number of times that some random stranger has muttered something insulting or started walking with their arms out like a chimp while openly making fun of them. But if a person's athletic pursuit is track and field or tennis, for example, they aren't considered "freaks" for pursuing those athletic interests and they aren't assumed to have a character defect such as "narcissism." The desire to push beyond one's physical limitations is socially *acceptable*, except when there is a substantial aesthetic component to those physical goals. And I think that's an unfair characterization.

The amount of dedication and energy that you have put into changing your physical body isn't a sign of "narcissism" but rather an athletic pursuit that is as *legitimate* as a person who is training to run a marathon. Even if your goals are partly (or largely) aesthetic, no one (including you) has a right to negatively characterize those goals in a way that impugns your character. At the end of the day, you are working to develop your physical potential -- which is an admirable pursuit and is one of the traits that propels the human race forward into positive new discoveries.

Also, I'm sure you don't look like a jerk or whatever in your photos. Using a legitimate measuring tool, such as photos, to gauge your progress doesn't make you a jerk, just as a runner using a stopwatch to measure his or her progress doesn't make that person a jerk.

Anyway, that's just my opinion! I'm admittedly a bit biased because I love so many bodybuilders... But I think I'm a *fair* person and I genuinely try to be objective about these issues.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:25 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Good luck to you in all your efforts! Keep up the good work!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: batlou
Stats: 295/215/170
WOE: Atkins Low-Carb
Start Date: 3/06/2008
Quote:
That's an interesting and important point. Our weight is regulated by both physiological and psychological means. I'd just like to get to a point where the mental side isn't bearing all of the load. Right now I feel like it's such a large part of what defines me. It's a dominant subject in my thoughts, almost like I've replaced "being a fat person" with "being an obsessive narcissistic health freak" as a defining characteristic, which is almost an equally negative idea to me. As much as I used to hate "those people" for most of my life, here I am holding up traffic in the grocery store while I read every label, and taking pictures of myself in the mirror every couple of weeks while I flex my muscles. I'm starting to feel like a real *********, if you'll pardon the term, (and I know I look like one in those pictures, although I tell myself they serve a purpose.) So, if making an obsession out of it is the way to get results, I'm going to keep doing that, but only because I hold the belief I eventually won't have to.
I went through this same thing and it's not really easily navigated. In fact, I have yet to figure it out after over 5 years. My Wife accuses me of of being obsessive because I weigh myself every time I am in the bathroom. The scale is right there so it seems logical to hop on for a quick check, right?

The biggest challenge is even after being at goal for 3 years sometimes when people introduce me they will acknowledge my former weight and that I have lost over 100 pounds. Once you have been tagged as a former overweight person it's hard to not feel like people are watching you to see if you slip up or just curious about your dietary choices.

I have had people even ask me outright if I was allowed to eat something. Granted, I eat mostly low-carb paleo but if your out on Saturday night and the only option is pizza I may indulge from time to time. The judgement comes without knowledge that I was up at 6AM and rode my bike 60 miles maintaining 80% HR Max and followed it up with a 1 hour "recovery" run. Ughh, heck yes I am eating a slice if that's all there is available and I might even have a beer. Just be glad that I did not grab a bite of your flesh as I am primarily a meat eater and prefer that to empty calories like those in a slice of pizza.

Hah, I am not even sure what made me rant about that. Triggers...

LCF - Journal
The Urban Primate - My Journey to Better Health
batlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:38 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
I anxiously await having your problem.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:51 AM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Please forgive me for continuing to butt into your thread with my weird observations... But I feel like I have to say that I think you're being a bit unfair to yourself. "Obsessive" is one thing -- if you think you're devoting too much mental energy to maintaining your lifestyle, then that's a *fair* concern. But I think the idea that it's "narcissistic" or that you're being a "freak" are *unfair* stigmas that society applies to people who have aesthetic physical goals.

[...]

The amount of dedication and energy that you have put into changing your physical body isn't a sign of "narcissism" but rather an athletic pursuit that is as *legitimate* as a person who is training to run a marathon. Even if your goals are partly (or largely) aesthetic, no one (including you) has a right to negatively characterize those goals in a way that impugns your character.
Another good insight. I should say that I mean no disrespect to all "health freaks" or "those people" as I disdainfully put it in my previous post. The people I'm referring to are the ones who seem by the way they dress, or by the stickers they cover their crossover SUVs and hybrids in, compelled to let the world know that they're extreme gym rats, marathon runners or cyclists, and that's ok, it's not just that. That's their passion, I get it. I have my own passions that other people aren't into. But it's when that particular segment of the population seems to think it makes them better than someone else, that I have a problem. When they're browsing the whole food/organic section of the grocery store and I can see them look over in plain and obvious disgust at the fat guy who walks by with some Cheetos in his cart, or when an overweight person interacts with them in any way, about anything, and you can just see and hear the condescension absolutely dripping from every expression and word, because they genuinely think the person in front of them is less of a person...

"Those people" seem to ignore me now, and that's a good thing, but it's like I'm more tuned in to it now. I notice it more often when it happens to other people, and it bothers me. And the worst thing is, I'll actually catch myself on occasion with thoughts like, "Geeze, that person has no will power at all. Does she not even care?" Knowing I was even more obese less than a year ago. Who am I to even think like that? I don't know the circumstances that surround that person. And hell for all I know they may have already lost even more than I have. But it's there if I don't make an effort to suppress it. I guess I figure if I can do it, why not them? But there are a million reasons. (And by the way, why are you still smoking cigarettes, Willpower Guy?)

I just don't want to become the type of person whom I used to feel persecuted by. And because I know objectively that it wasn't always intentional, and yet I still felt that way, I don't even want to convey the appearance of being that type. It's why I limit the amount I talk about this stuff anywhere but here, why I keep it off social networks for the most part, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batlou View Post
I went through this same thing and it's not really easily navigated. In fact, I have yet to figure it out after over 5 years. My Wife accuses me of of being obsessive because I weigh myself every time I am in the bathroom. The scale is right there so it seems logical to hop on for a quick check, right?

The biggest challenge is even after being at goal for 3 years sometimes when people introduce me they will acknowledge my former weight and that I have lost over 100 pounds. Once you have been tagged as a former overweight person it's hard to not feel like people are watching you to see if you slip up or just curious about your dietary choices.
I can relate to every bit of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batlou View Post
Just be glad that I did not grab a bite of your flesh as I am primarily a meat eater and prefer that to empty calories like those in a slice of pizza.
And that right there's pretty funny! I am probably gonna steal that quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck41 View Post
I anxiously await having your problem.
Right on, man. What am I even complaining about? I guess it goes to show some people just can't be satisfied. I hope when you get there, that you can cope with your success better than I seem to be.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chuck41
Stats: 6'2"-250/213.5/195
WOE: General Low Carb
Start Date: Dec, 31, 2012
I now find myself with that critical look at folks that look like I did just a few short months ago. It is not the one dude that gets my attention, but large groups of them in malls, restaurants, and festivals. I see them in the lines for sweets, sodas, fries, and the like in huge numbers saying "Supersize it!".

It seems like our whole society today is determined to commit suicide by eating. I praise God that I found the resolve to turn around before diabetes, heart disease or stroke resulted from my previous lifestyle. I just ordered a half dozen of Taubes' WWGF books to give to people I care about that need help. Yeah, I know they could get it in the library, but six months ago if someone had told me that, I probably wouldn't have driven all the way across town to get it. If they had put one in my hand I most certainly would have read it.

Perhaps I am more aware/repulsed by it because I know those food lines lead to nothing allowed in my woe. Or perhaps it is that we who were formerly obese (now I am merely "overweight") are like the former smokers, or alcoholics that have become religious crusaders after finally kicking their former habits.
250-213.5-195
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:18 PM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Another good insight. I should say that I mean no disrespect to all "health freaks" or "those people" as I disdainfully put it in my previous post. The people I'm referring to are the ones who seem by the way they dress, or by the stickers they cover their crossover SUVs and hybrids in, compelled to let the world know that they're extreme gym rats, marathon runners or cyclists, and that's ok, it's not just that. That's their passion, I get it. I have my own passions that other people aren't into. But it's when that particular segment of the population seems to think it makes them better than someone else, that I have a problem. When they're browsing the whole food/organic section of the grocery store and I can see them look over in plain and obvious disgust at the fat guy who walks by with some Cheetos in his cart, or when an overweight person interacts with them in any way, about anything, and you can just see and hear the condescension absolutely dripping from every expression and word, because they genuinely think the person in front of them is less of a person...

"Those people" seem to ignore me now, and that's a good thing, but it's like I'm more tuned in to it now. I notice it more often when it happens to other people, and it bothers me. And the worst thing is, I'll actually catch myself on occasion with thoughts like, "Geeze, that person has no will power at all. Does she not even care?" Knowing I was even more obese less than a year ago. Who am I to even think like that? I don't know the circumstances that surround that person. And hell for all I know they may have already lost even more than I have. But it's there if I don't make an effort to suppress it. I guess I figure if I can do it, why not them? But there are a million reasons. (And by the way, why are you still smoking cigarettes, Willpower Guy?)

I just don't want to become the type of person whom I used to feel persecuted by. And because I know objectively that it wasn't always intentional, and yet I still felt that way, I don't even want to convey the appearance of being that type. It's why I limit the amount I talk about this stuff anywhere but here, why I keep it off social networks for the most part, etc.
You're absolutely right, of course!

I don't remember where I read it and I can't cite it, so take this with a grain of salt... But I read somewhere that an overwhelming percentage of elite, competitive athletes have traits that qualify them for a clinical diagnosis of sociopathic personality disorders. As I recall, the article was saying that this is actually what makes these athletes successful competitors -- that if they didn't have an extremely exaggerated sense of personal worth and a somewhat irrational level of confidence in their own abilities, then they wouldn't be able to perform in high pressure situations.

I definitely DON'T get the impression -- from your tone and based on the very thoughtful way in which you raise these issues -- that YOU have any of those negative traits that, just as you have noted, I have definitely observed in many athletes I've met (especially competitive bodybuilders, bless their hearts).

For example, I work out in a private facility with bodybuilders and I've had to *school* a few guys since I've lost some weight, when they've made comments about how "all fat people" need to get into the gym and do what I'm doing. At one point, I stood on a bench and threatened to throw a 25-pound plate at the next guy who used the phrase "needs to get off the couch." I was admittedly a bit over-pumped on catecholamines and endorphins, but I was legitimately sick of the nonsense I was hearing. I don't want those guys using me as their *excuse* to judge someone else.

The fact that an occasionally uncharitable thought flies into your head doesn't make you -- at all -- comparable to the negative egotism that you felt judged by before you lost weight, and that I have occasionally observed in other people. This is why I felt that you were being a bit unfair to yourself in the way you seemed to be characterizing your current mindset. You're currently focused on the difficult work of changing your lifestyle and strengthening your body, I don't think that is even in the same universe as negative, narcissistic behavior.

I try to be somewhat understanding of the displays of egotism I occasionally encounter in bodybuilders -- when I'm not standing on a bench making physical threats, of course -- because I've been around the bodybuilding culture long enough to know that the source of the negativity and judgments are, generally, constant feelings of insecurity. Competitive bodybuilding is a sport in which people are constantly told that they aren't "as good as" the next guy, or that their "genes are inferior" to someone else, or that they're "too fat" when they're at 8% bodyfat, or that all of the work they've done in the gym and all of the hunger they've endured and the many sacrifices they've made in their lives won't be sufficient to make them "good enough." So I know that the judgments they make about other people are *typically* just a reflection of their own fears, and are really disdain that is being thrown against a mirror because what they're putting out is more about their internal environment than it is about anybody else's situation.

You're a good person. You have expressed compassion and great thoughtfulness, not just about your personal situation but also about the broader social issues that surround obesity. Personally, I think you should be proud of who you are as a person, in addition to the physical progress you've made.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
You're a good person. You have expressed compassion and great thoughtfulness, not just about your personal situation but also about the broader social issues that surround obesity. Personally, I think you should be proud of who you are as a person, in addition to the physical progress you've made.
That's very nice of you to say. Thank you.

I guess, honestly, I just don't know how to act now. The last thing I want to do is run on and on about it, because I know I used to get annoyed when other people did that. And I certainly don't want to preach to anyone, or seem like I'm rubbing noses in it when I post something about my weight on a social network, for instance. Every time I do it, among all the positive comments, someone always has some thinly-veiled sarcasm or implies that I'm being a braggart, so I inevitably resolve to just shut up about it and keep going. Not because they've hurt my feelings or anything, but because I figure for every one person who is tactless enough to actually express that opinion, there are probably ten more who just aren't saying anything. I figure people don't want to hear about it. Then later on others start asking me specific questions like what I'm eating, how often I'm working out, why I do this or that but not this, and I realize I've inspired someone. So I think, alright, so if I come off looking like a d'bag to a few people but cause a few other people to think about making a positive change, surely that's worth it, right? Then I'll decide I can post another milestone and the cycle repeats.

I probably just care way too much about what other people think in general. Life would be so much easier if I didn't.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Liz1959
Quote:
Still a pack a day, at least. I'm going to quit soon, and when I do I will commit to it hard core, but I'm not in that mindset yet.
Try an electronic cigarette. You may be suprised. There are some decent disposable models out now, so you can try them without much of an investment.
Liz1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:00 AM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
I guess, honestly, I just don't know how to act now. The last thing I want to do is run on and on about it, because I know I used to get annoyed when other people did that. And I certainly don't want to preach to anyone, or seem like I'm rubbing noses in it when I post something about my weight on a social network, for instance. Every time I do it, among all the positive comments, someone always has some thinly-veiled sarcasm or implies that I'm being a braggart, so I inevitably resolve to just shut up about it and keep going. Not because they've hurt my feelings or anything, but because I figure for every one person who is tactless enough to actually express that opinion, there are probably ten more who just aren't saying anything. I figure people don't want to hear about it. Then later on others start asking me specific questions like what I'm eating, how often I'm working out, why I do this or that but not this, and I realize I've inspired someone. So I think, alright, so if I come off looking like a d'bag to a few people but cause a few other people to think about making a positive change, surely that's worth it, right? Then I'll decide I can post another milestone and the cycle repeats.
That's what I mean about you being a good person! You want to use your progress to help other people, but that inevitably comes with a certain amount of disappointment because there will always be *someone* who reacts negatively to even the most positive gesture. As far as I can tell, all you can do is the best you can.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:51 PM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
I wouldn't bother with the expense of getting tested for body fat.
The mirror is all the test you need.
Based on the photo's your body fat to muscle ratio is great.
You look terrific. It's really impressive that you were able to bulk up and
lose fat to the extent you did in a relatively short period of time.
weighing 170 something pounds with an S shirtsize and a 32 inch waist ......
That is trim and fit. Whether or not you choose to stay ketogenic is your call,
but take time to smell the roses so to speak.
Be proud and happy with your body dude...you earned it.
Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
I wouldn't bother with the expense of getting tested for body fat.
The mirror is all the test you need.
Based on the photo's your body fat to muscle ratio is great.
You look terrific. It's really impressive that you were able to bulk up and
lose fat to the extent you did in a relatively short period of time.
weighing 170 something pounds with an S shirtsize and a 32 inch waist ......
That is trim and fit. Whether or not you choose to stay ketogenic is your call,
but take time to smell the roses so to speak.
Be proud and happy with your body dude...you earned it.

take avid's wisdom to heart!
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 02:44 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

An update... I've lost 98 pounds.

New goal: I want to be able to say I lost 100. (That is, without counting the ones I lost twice.)

The past few pounds I've lost have taken a lot of time. Weight loss has really slowed down but I'm not discouraged because I can still see differences in these pictures. I think at this point I'm moving weight around more than I'm losing it.

Old 08-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #53
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Wow!!! You look different from last time you posted! Very cool! I hope there's still two pounds you can find to take off, there can't be much more! Congrats!
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:36 AM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Aomiel
Stats: 330/140/140 A1c 4.8
WOE: Bernstein (Maintenance)
Start Date: January 2010
You look great! WTG! Personally, I'd ignore the number on the scale. With your muscle, the charts most likely will always say your weight is too high...even if your body fat is low.

Aomiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #55
Major LCF Poster!

Congratulations on sticking with your plan for 98 pounds! That is such a HUGE accomplishment!
Old 08-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/227/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Clearly, you have lost over 100 pounds of fat and put on some muscle. It would be an honest statement to say this.

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:24 AM   #57
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
Great job!

I agree, the scale is not a good reflection of your success. Your visible results are better than the number on the scale.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #58
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: tobelowcarber
Stats: 136/122.2/115-120
WOE: JUDDD
WOW! You look amazing. Congrats!!!!!!!
tobelowcarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
Start Date: July 2012
This is very inspirational. You look great!
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:09 AM   #60
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: idioglossic
Stats: 179/148/140 5'2"
WOE: Stillmans, low carb, low fat, low sodium, 2 meals
Start Date: August 29, 2004/Restart July 28, 2013
Quote:
Just checking in again, since it's been over a month... I've stayed on plan, and lost maybe one pound. That would be discouraging if I wasn't paying attention to anything but the scale, but I knocked another hole in my belt and my M shirts are all baggy now so I decided to try an S. And the damn thing fit!

http://i.imgur.com/fZBkzPr.jpg

I've noticed some M's don't quite fit me in the arms and shoulders, but all of them are baggy around the middle. The S in this picture fits fine everywhere, but another S I bought is a little tight around the arms and shoulders. Not too tight, but a little. So I'm at a point where I can't just buy shirts without trying them on I guess. I always thought it was hard to find clothes that fit when I was wearing 2XL/44's, but I guess it's an annoyance for people of any size, just for different reasons.

Still though - what the hell?! I couldn't believe that shirt fit! I haven't worn clothes this small since I was a child!
Please put this on and keep it on. . . you are looking spectacular, and you need to be .

Congratulations. . . look what Low Carb can do in less than a year, you lost a prison of fat. . .

This Low Carb works, period, if we would just believe and get control of our eating.

Never let the fat come back, that is now your PROBLEM, I let it come back, life gets crazy and carby food sneaks back in to our lives and if we have a carb addiction, then it is worse that cocaine, it is like a speeding train, you just can not jump off. . . so now you must plan and WORK at maintenance.

GOAL 135 12/17/04
30 LB CLUB 11/25/04
40 LB CLUB 1/14/05
50 LB CLUB 5/16/05
60 LB CLUB 8/19/05[/color]
[color=PURPLE]729 CHEAT FREE DAYS THE ONLY PERSON I WAS FOOLING WAS MYSELF!!! [/color]
[color=red]The Sayonara CARBOnara Challenge *Colonel* GOAL[/color]
[color=green]"we need to love ourselves enough to give up entitlement thinking and start thinking in terms of what we need to do in order to be healthy." - Terry [/color]
Lowered goal to 120 1/10/05
idioglossic is offline   Reply With Quote