Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 04:13 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Stats: 254/235/152
WOE: lc
Start Date: 8/2014
If you do fasting, make sure to watch Good Morning America

If you do IF you might want to watch Good Morning America this morning, as they are going to have a story on fasting and weight loss...I am curious to see what they have to say.....Have a great day
Missouri_Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #2
Fat Burning Machine Extraordinaire!

Gallery: DiamondDeb
Stats: 125+ lbs lost
I came across some surprising info yesterday about IF when I was researching a different subject.

Dr Kruse strongly suggested that it is actually bad for anyone with a lot to lose to do IF. Not good for those who are leptin resistant (most anyone overweight). He said it is OK for those already in pretty good health. So many people use IF for weight loss.
DiamondDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: NineOhNine
Stats: 250/225/155
WOE: Generic <72 carbs/day
It's not good for anyone with a touchy gall bladder, either.
NineOhNine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I'd be nervous about making really sweeping generalization about what is or isn't good for X type of people. There are some exceptions (e.g., sugar is not good for people who are diabetic), but there are people I know through this board who lost over 100 pounds and improved their health through an intermittent fasting approach such as JUDDD.

I imagine that the best way to see if a given protocol is good for a person is to try it and see: how do you feel? can you bear to do this long term? are you losing weight (if that's the goal)? How are your biomarkers (e.g., blood pressure, lipids, BG) on this protocol? I know people whose statistics are similar to mine, in terms of age, weight, height, etc., and we have to eat very differently to feel well.

I've read some online material about women, on average, doing worse than men with IF, but there's a big community of women doing well and feeling well on JUDDD--and I'm one of them.

So, if someone is interested in trying IF, I say try it out and see how it works for you. For some people, including some obese people, it will work well; for others, not so well.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I'd be nervous about making really sweeping generalization about what is or isn't good for X type of people. There are some exceptions (e.g., sugar is not good for people who are diabetic), but there are people I know through this board who lost over 100 pounds and improved their health through an intermittent fasting approach such as JUDDD.

I imagine that the best way to see if a given protocol is good for a person is to try it and see: how do you feel? can you bear to do this long term? are you losing weight (if that's the goal)? How are your biomarkers (e.g., blood pressure, lipids, BG) on this protocol? I know people whose statistics are similar to mine, in terms of age, weight, height, etc., and we have to eat very differently to feel well.

I've read some online material about women, on average, doing worse than men with IF, but there's a big community of women doing well and feeling well on JUDDD--and I'm one of them.

So, if someone is interested in trying IF, I say try it out and see how it works for you. For some people, including some obese people, it will work well; for others, not so well.

ty
Old 02-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #6

Did anyone see the show? I did not & am curious as to what their take on the subject might be.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I do have a lot to lose and I have been losing very slowly doing NK and IF, but I think IF'ing has been really great for me in terms of self control and energy and comfort. Life just works so much better for me when my life doesn't have to revolve around food. It is worth it to me even if its slowing my loss. And I don't know that it is. I might lose at this rate no matter what. And this is a way that I can live for the long haul.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amundson
Stats: 285/164/155
WOE: Atkins (w/ Protein Power ideas also)
Start Date: April 2010
Fasting is what got me losing again after 10 month stall and 16 pound gain. I didn't think I could do it but I am able to eat once a day a couple of times per week.
amundson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I ended up missing it due to a sick 4 legged kid...lol..I was trying to see if they played the show online, but have not been able to find it...I will keep looking as I am curious also
Old 02-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amundson View Post
Fasting is what got me losing again after 10 month stall and 16 pound gain. I didn't think I could do it but I am able to eat once a day a couple of times per week.
wow congrats on your success....your stats are wonderful...nice job...

so was fasting the way you lost most your weight or some other plan if i may ask
Old 02-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I did find a place to watch it online, but will be 48 hrs from this mornings airing I believe
Old 02-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri_Librarian View Post
I ended up missing it due to a sick 4 legged kid...lol..I was trying to see if they played the show online, but have not been able to find it...I will keep looking as I am curious also
I searched online, too, but found nothing. Maybe the segment was postponed?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDeb View Post
I searched online, too, but found nothing. Maybe the segment was postponed?
well i did find a place that said it was on todays show...but then I went to another place that said watch the show here,,,,it had mons up, but not tues or today yet...I am going to look again tomorrow....
Old 02-28-2013, 04:55 PM   #14
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
I came across some surprising info yesterday about IF when I was researching a different subject.

Dr Kruse strongly suggested that it is actually bad for anyone with a lot to lose to do IF. Not good for those who are leptin resistant (most anyone overweight). He said it is OK for those already in pretty good health. So many people use IF for weight loss.
When I started IF, I was 277 pounds. I've lost 117 pounds doing it and I don't think it's hurt me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineOhNine View Post
It's not good for anyone with a touchy gall bladder, either.
I have a "sluggish" gall bladder (surgery recommended several years ago and I refused) and I've had no issues with IF.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:18 PM   #15

Dawn, Dr K did not suggest one can't lose weight with IF.

He seemed to think it was unhealthy, specifically in terms of leptin, but Dr K did not give details. While the comment caught my attention, fasting was not the subject I was researching so I did not try to find more info on his statement.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #16

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I saw the show segment and I thought it was great!!! They focused on Michael Mosely's book "Fast Diet" and actually talked with him! How novel. That was not what Today Show weekend edition did when they featured this very thing. The piece was very positive!!

Oh, of course before the piece came on they were all "eat all you want for 5 days and fast for 2". So I was thinking "uh-oh here we go again". But they showed that you DO eat on the 2 "fast days". You get 500 calories if you are a female, 600 for the males. And the reporter was shocked when they showed what you get to eat on the "fast days". They were all shocked that you can actually eat, and what you can actually have on the 500 calories!! And as long as you eat normally on the other 5 days, you are good!

Last edited by dawnyama; 03-01-2013 at 08:09 AM..
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #17

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
Quote:
Dawn, Dr K did not suggest one can't lose weight with IF.

He seemed to think it was unhealthy, specifically in terms of leptin, but Dr K did not give details. While the comment caught my attention, fasting was not the subject I was researching so I did not try to find more info on his statement.
Each person's composition is different of course, and it could possibly be unhealthy for some overweight or obese people, for sure. My personal experience though, having been morbidly obese and going to a healthy weight, has been nothing but positive. I've had some medical issues in the last year, during my weight loss, but I don't think they were related to fasting. If anything, I've been remarkable healthy. DH and DD have been sick several times and I've only caught one of their "bugs" and it had DD down for over a week. I fought it off in a few days. I don't know a whole lot about leptin, though, so I'm not sure how mine was affected. YMMV.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:14 AM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnyama View Post
I saw the show segment and I thought it was great!!! They focused on Michael Mosely's book "Fast Diet" and actually talked with him! How novel. That was not what Today Show weekend edition did when they featured this very thing. The piece was very positive!!

Oh, of course before the piece came on they were all "eat all you want for 5 days and fast for 2". So I was thinking "uh-oh here we go again". But they showed that you DO eat on the 2 "fast days". You get 500 calories if you are a female, 600 for the males. And the reporter was shocked when they showed what you get to eat on the "fast days". They were all shocked that you can actually eat, and what you can actually have on the 500 calories!! And as long as you eat normally on the other 5 days, you are good!
Thank you for the update...I searched last night and didnt find it online to watch...thanks for filling us in,,,
Old 03-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #19

Gallery: dawnyama
Stats: 154/119.2/118 5'3.5"
WOE: Rx hcg
Start Date: 6/1/09
I was told it was on Nightline last night as well. My DH stays awake to watch it. Not me. I am asleep before 11PM every single night. You should be able to access both pieces by now. They were linked in the other 5:2 threads we have going. You should just search on abcnews the "fasting diet" . It should pop up.
dawnyama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:44 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: amundson
Stats: 285/164/155
WOE: Atkins (w/ Protein Power ideas also)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missouri_Librarian View Post
wow congrats on your success....your stats are wonderful...nice job...

so was fasting the way you lost most your weight or some other plan if i may ask
I lost 105 pounds on low carb only -- had 1/2 c of HWC in coffee every morning (4 cups of coffee with 2T of HWC in each). Gradually my weight loss slowed and stopped. I lost 105 pounds between 4/2010 and 12/2011. Then I gained back 16.5 pounds in 10 months -- I quit recording every bite and weighing every morning because I didn't want to know what I had done I am being evaluated as a potential kidney donor and had to lose some weight, and I knew that if I starved I would lose the weight. So, I tried eating twice a day or sometimes once per day. I always skip breakfast. Some days I can skip lunch also. I have taken off 27.5 pounds since Oct 3. It is very low calorie as well as low carb. It is not pleasant, but I just want to get down to a goal (which I haven't decided on yet) and be done with this!! I know one is never done, but I have met the transplant center's requirements, and am a couple of pounds under their requirement.

When going long periods of time without food (for me, 18 to 24 hours is a long period), I either think of myself as observing fasting (some religions fast for an entire day and only eat after sunset in some months), or else think of primal humans, who probably did not eat every day, and probably not three times a day. When our ancestors were in the African bush, they probably ate once a day (or twice at most), when they were successful at hunting. I have found that when I am hungry, it doesn't hurt me. And I have been hungry sometimes
amundson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:52 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Thanks for sharing your experience, Amundson. I find that hunger is way more manageable when I eat low carb than when I eat sugars or grains. I also do intermittent fasting (JUDDD), and experience hunger--but without the blood sugar roller coaster, the hunger doesn't build and get worse and worse and make me feel positively desperate to cram food in my mouth. So I agree with your statement that now "I have found that when I am hungry, it doesn't hurt me." Over on the JUDDD board, we have the expression: "Hunger is not an emergency" (at least if one is not malnourished and not without plentiful stores of body fat and is choosing to skip food intake for diet/health reasons).
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience, Amundson. I find that hunger is way more manageable when I eat low carb than when I eat sugars or grains. I also do intermittent fasting (JUDDD), and experience hunger--but without the blood sugar roller coaster, the hunger doesn't build and get worse and worse and make me feel positively desperate to cram food in my mouth. So I agree with your statement that now "I have found that when I am hungry, it doesn't hurt me." Over on the JUDDD board, we have the expression: "Hunger is not an emergency" (at least if one is not malnourished and not without plentiful stores of body fat and is choosing to skip food intake for diet/health reasons).
I usually eat in an 8 hour window and it works out well as long as I don't eat very low calorie. But every time I've tried 24 hour fasting I've had a lot of trouble sleeping that night. It could be coincidence, but after 7 or 8 tries, I'm convinced that it's a factor.

Does anyone else have this issue?
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:12 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb View Post
I usually eat in an 8 hour window and it works out well as long as I don't eat very low calorie. But every time I've tried 24 hour fasting I've had a lot of trouble sleeping that night. It could be coincidence, but after 7 or 8 tries, I'm convinced that it's a factor.

Does anyone else have this issue?
Yes. I couldn't stick with JUDD for this reason. I also started to dread the down days. In the whole 5-6 days that I did it.

I'm just used to doing an 8 hour window now. I'm hungry when I go to bed but it doesn't keep me up. Surprisingly, I'm not hungry at all in the morning. I'm up at 5 in the morning but don't eat until 11. There are days when I'm really not even hungry at 11.
Erin57 is online now   Reply With Quote