Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nspeedracer
Stats: 149/137.4/115 5'3''0
low carb 4 lyme disease, help!

being sick and on antibiotics has left me with no appetite and the only things that sound edible are all carbs...
lyme thrives on sugar so threres more than just losing 20 pounds at stake here.

what can i eat thats gentle and not over powering and heavy...?
i kno chia seed pudding is great for detox but im not fond of it.
flax muffins i cant seem to get right and i cant make a revolution roll/oopsie roll to save my life..

this disease and antibiotics r gonna be around for a while so i dont want to wait much longer, esp since lyme bacteria thrives on sugar and abx causes candida

help. any sugestions?
natalie
nspeedracer is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2013, 02:40 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/203.2/160
WOE: NK/ IF
Start Date: 2 January 2014
I am so sorry to hear you are struggling with lyme disease. Sending lots of hugs!

I would definitely start cooking with coconut oil. It will help support good gut bacteria and it's a great way of helping your immune system and fighting this disease. Also, the caprylic acid in coconut oil is great for people suffering with candida.

Maybe eat some yogurt as well? And supplement with additional probiotics? You could mix in some chia seeds in yogurt...

Sending you lots of good thoughts for your recovery!
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:33 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
Sorry to hear what you're going through. My best friend has chronic lyme, along with candida and a host of other issues. She has eliminated sugars and grains from her diet; when she cheats, she sees a significant increase in lyme/candida symptoms.

Coconut oil is her primary fat of choice. She also consumes kombucha and other fermented foods. At Whole Foods, they have kombucha with chia seeds - could you tolerate that?

I hope you're feeling better soon. Stay on plan!
KCSoccer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:34 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I also have a friend who is recovering from Lyme Disease and who has to eat no gluten and no sugars as part of her treatment. Have you tried making bone broth and drinking that? Many of us associate warm broth, such as chicken soup, with a comforting, healing food when we are sick, and homemade bone broth has lots of health benefits due to the minerals, collagen, gelatin, etc. Simmer a bunch of chicken backs, wings, and/or necks (or the carcass of a roasted chicken) in filtered water with a splash of apple cider vinegar for several hours, strain, chill, remove fat that rises to the top (if you want to), and eat. Adding some good butter or cream when reheating makes it more filling. And you can add some raw nonstarchy veggies, cook them in the broth, and have chicken vegetable soup.

Last edited by svenskamae; 02-27-2013 at 04:35 AM..
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:05 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
First, get some probiotics to restore your gut flora after the antibiotics.
Choose one with lots of different critters in it, not just the kind with only acidophilus.
I get mine at a health food store, but I understand that mainstream stores now carry some affordable ones with 5 or 6 different strains in them. And the coconut oil is a great idea. I make treats using coconut oil, and also mayonaise.

Second, it sounds like you're looking for easy-to-cook bread replacements to use while you're feeling ill. The easiest one IMO is muffin in a minute, then floopsies. Also, the microwaved cheese cracker is no-fail with a satisfying crunch. And then there's Dottie's coconut flour biscuit. Very good, very easy. And thinking outside the box, try a pancake with a little less sweetener to use as a sandwich wrap.

Lastly, I'd encourage you to build a meal plan including meats, good fats, and veggies, and then include only the amount of LC bread products that you must have to feel okay, and use them where they will be the most satisfying for you.

Here's the recipes for my suggestions.

Floopsie
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-floopsie.html

Crackers -- I like sliced muenster the best, cutting it into 16 squares, but this recipe works.
CHEESE CRISPS - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes

pancakes
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...-pancakes.html

Dottie's biscuit--- really good.
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...e-biscuit.html

Quote:
muffin in a minute (you can interchange the quantities of flax and almond), I like half flax and half almond
2 T flax meal
2 T almond meal
1/2 tsp baking powder 1 tsp cinnamon 1 egg 1 tsp butter sweetener to taste, about 1/2 to 1 packet
I melt the butter into a mug and then beat the egg in. Then in a separate bowl I combine the dry ingredients, and then mix all in mug. Nuke for a minute. Make it savory by replacing the cinnamon with 1/2 tsp onion powder and a pinch of salt. I don't like the savory one as much.
Quote:
Cocoa fat bombs-- i suggest doing 1/4 or a 1/2 batch to see if you like them. Lots of tweaks available on this site.
3/4 cup melted coconut oil
9.5 Tbs. (150g) almond butter
60 drops (about 3/8 tsp.) liquid Stevia
3 Tbs. cocoa
8 Tbs. (1 stick) melted salted butter
Gently melt the coconut oil. I use the microwave on 50% power.
Add almond butter and butter, and microwave on 40% power a minute at a time until you can stir it smooth. Add sweetener (it's about 3/8 to 1/2 cup worth of sweetness) and cocoa. Stir well, pour into molds or cupcake liners, and freeze.
Mayo
Quote:
2 large egg yolks
3 tablespoons lemon juice or vinegar
1¼ teaspoons salt
pinch of white pepper
1 cup oil. Use 1/2 melted but not hot coconut oil and 1/2 light olive oil.
Mix all but oils with blender, processor, or hand mixer. Drizzle oil in as slowly as you can, takes about 4-5 min. Keeps 5-7 days. Sometimes it loses its tang. you can refresh the tangy taste by adding more lemon juice after a few days.

Last edited by emel; 02-27-2013 at 05:10 AM..
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: creseis
Stats: 157/156/135
WOE: Atkins/Eades's/Volek and Phinney/Attia.. Ketogenic
Start Date: Jan 4, 2014
Take lots of probiotics and you should be fine with your stomach. I have been on doxy twice for Lyme disease and I loaded up on probios, vit C, and other antioxidants (and by loaded, I mean GRAMS per day, about 1.5 4x per day), and I had no problems eating. I had a nutritional guru give me this advice and also a bunch of supplements, which was very helpful.
creseis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
All great suggestions. I would only add organic bone broth.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:22 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Acor
Stats: 160/128/115 5'2
You should look up minimonkey (I believe that's her screen name) here on the boards. She's had a long battle with lyme disease and has shared a lot of her story. I've usually seen her hanging out on the HCG board.
Acor is offline   Reply With Quote