Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: adiasmc1
Stats: 5'1" - 193/130
WOE: Weight Watchers
Piratejenny - I do take about 2-3 grams of omega 3 each night. Doesn't seem to change anything.

I have thought about doing a sleep study, but I am afraid I will be like their "dream patient" such a crazy screwed up sleeper that they will want me to stay there so they can call all the other doctors to come in and see how crazy I am and how insane my dreams and sleep patterns are
adiasmc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<280/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Yeah, it could have been a fluke for me.

Last night I was actually having a pretty nice dream, at a festival with a lot of friends, then all of a sudden I was trying to keep my two cats away from a busy street and one of them got run over. Then I was dodging cars and I woke up with my heart pounding!

The way the dream changed so suddenly and the fact that I had eaten carbs before bed (as an experiment, not a cheat ) made me wonder if maybe my blood sugar crashed and that caused the bad dream--adrenalin to get the blood sugar back up? I Googled a bit about nightmares + adrenalin and I came across this article...I wonder if you've heard of this treatment--taking blood pressure medicine? Dr. Douglas Fields: Nightmares In PTSD: Don't Get Your Blood Pressure Up
2014:
6/29 282.8
7/07 280.2
7/09 277.8
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:19 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I've been following the Perfect Health Diet thread, and a number of people there note that their sleep has improved since adding some "safe starches" such as potato (not wheat!) to their diet shortly before bed. I understand that people eating lowcarb may be very reluctant to have potato; I myself hadn't eaten potato for well over a year until very recently. It does seem that potatoes don't seem to cause weight gain--and actually can cause some weight loss--if they are eaten alone, at least 4 hours apart from eating any protein, sugar, or more than 1 teaspoon fat. (See the various "potato hack" threads around this board, such as in the JUDDD and Neanderthin sections, for more discussion of this phenomenon.) So some of the people with bad dreams and poor sleep might want to try an early dinner and then having a boiled potato before bed.

I'm doing a potato only sort of diet for a few days to get out of a stall, and I should warn people that if you haven't eaten potatoes or other starches for a long time, you may experience some bloating and stomach upset the first day or so. But given the awful time that some people here have sleeping, it might be worth experimenting.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Yeah, it could have been a fluke for me.

Last night I was actually having a pretty nice dream, at a festival with a lot of friends, then all of a sudden I was trying to keep my two cats away from a busy street and one of them got run over. Then I was dodging cars and I woke up with my heart pounding!

The way the dream changed so suddenly and the fact that I had eaten carbs before bed (as an experiment, not a cheat ) made me wonder if maybe my blood sugar crashed and that caused the bad dream--adrenalin to get the blood sugar back up? I Googled a bit about nightmares + adrenalin and I came across this article...I wonder if you've heard of this treatment--taking blood pressure medicine? Dr. Douglas Fields: Nightmares In PTSD: Don't Get Your Blood Pressure Up
Interesting article, Pirate Jenny! Thanks for sharing.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:48 AM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
Oh, ITA! When you are sleep deprived, you eat more to compensate for the chronic exhaustion.
Yup, I believe that!
August Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:02 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I distinctly remember 3 long, involved dreams I had last night, and they were sort of fun & silly, and didn't turn bad at any point.

I took 1/2tsp of cayenne before bed last night, because it is supposed to be good for lowering blood pressure. Mine has been slightly high lately--130/85, for example. This morning it was 123/79.

I've also been taking 1 tbsp Hi-Maize resistant corn starch before bed for the last few nights, and, except for the night I ate potatoes, have not had nightmares.

I thought at first maybe it was the omega fats, because Monday (when I ate the herring), I didn't take the RCS. However, I did eat some rye toast. Maybe the carbs in that carried me through the night. (I have read that eating small amounts of carbs [11-20g] every 5 hours will prevent "liver dump", when your liver "feeds" you 40-60g glucose; for some people this may result in a blood sugar crash later. Many diabetic plans encourage a small snack before bed to prevent this.)

Will keep up the cayenne and RCS. Love these nights when I don't have nightmares!
Old 03-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've been reading a bit more...actually, I was trying to find more info on resistant corn starch, and I remember reading a couple years ago about people giving their children cornstarch (just regular, I think) to prevent overnight hypoglycemia.

So I googled hypoglycemia + nightmares, and many parents have noticed a connection; when their children wake up with nightmares, their blood sugar is very low. If they eat a snack before bedtime that keeps their blood sugar stable, they stop having nightmares.

I know this thread is about sleep in general, not just nightmares, but if some of you are not getting good sleep because of nightmares, perhaps there is a blood sugar issue.

Too many carbs before bed will likely result in reactive hypoglycemia, and too long between meals could also, because of that 5-hour liver dump.* Svenka's suggestion of eating a potato right before bed and about 4 hours after dinner would fit perfectly into this scenario. Anther suggestion I read was 1 slice of lower-carb toast (like Ezekiel) with peanut butter.

*Of course, some people do fine with fasting for long periods of time;
others have better blood sugar control eating more often.

Last edited by piratejenny; 03-01-2013 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: *
Old 03-09-2013, 04:24 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mobear
Stats: 235/195/LESS
WOE: Bernstein
Start Date: 9/2010
I have had insomnia and disordered sleep for most of my life. At times I have felt that I don't actually get to sleep at all . I take 3 supplements to help with the situation and I think they do help...just not enough and not consistently.

After reading through this thread I decided to try potatoes for sleep! I should mention that I am Type2 and take 2 types of insulin (for meals and a base long acting). Since I started LCing in 2010 I've lost 50# and really improved my diabetes - last A1c was 5.5 . Potatoes are no longer a part of my life.

However, I have been having 70g of redskin potato for the last week. Now before anyone gets excited, I eat them boiled and cold with a little salt. A 70g potato is also really small - a medium is more like 135g. Can't say they have fixed the insomnia completely, but I do see improvement.

Now, I am falling asleep in about an hour, sleeping 2hrs. Generally I wake up to potty and then don't go back to sleep for about an hour. Since I started having the potato at bedtime, I usually fall back to sleep for about 2hrs.

This is still not a great normal sleep, but boy is it an improvement. 70g seems to have stabilized my blood glucose and my fasting # has been about 80-85. One night I tried 100g of potato and fasting number the next morning was 135 so it is important for me to control the size of the potato. Also, because of stuff in the potato hack thread I do not eat protein or fat for 3-4 hrs before I eat the potato!
Mobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:44 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 2.1.14 * 244#/234# 2.23.14
WOE: Carb Adicted: Atkins 72, measured portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I have MS. Also FibroMyalgia & Chronic Fatigue... I have tried a number of sleep meds.
I time my anti-spastisity med tizanadine (Zanaflex) which causes some sleepiness so I take more to get through the night.
I also take the controversial med LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone) which alters sleep patterns... much more REM sleep, the most restorative mode. I have never dreamed so much. (LDN must be compounded & is not covered by insurance... the cost is low.) I think this has made a huge difference for me.

Russ
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #40
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
My goodness, I feel terrible for those of you that don't sleep well.

I think I only lose between hour 7-8 of sleep. I have actually gotten up to use the bathroom and weighed in at one weight, gone back to sleep for an hour or two, and then weighed again (no more tinkling, same pajamas) and been down a lb or two.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:21 AM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Flex ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
My doctor recommended meditation before bed so I signed up for the Deepak Chopra / Oprah 21 day Free Meditation Challenge that starts Monday, Mar 11th. I signed up on his website. I did this once before and it did help fall asleep.

I do take Ambien CR timed released. When I am ready to sleep I take 20 min before I want to fall asleep. I am good for 5-6 hrs. In the AM I take 300 mg Wellbutrin. I don't drink coffee or eat sugar, grain or alcohol. The Wellbutrin (for chronic depression) has a mild stimulant that helps me start the day focused on my job. By nightime it has worn off.

My doctor says they really don't know if chronic fatigue causes obesity or if the obesity caused the sleeping problems/ sleep apnea. It is sort of like a vicious circle. I can't do over the counter meds as they make it hard to stay asleep and wake up fully,

My husband uses stretching exercises in the middle of the night. When he gets up to use the bathroom before he comes back to bed, he stretches. I say is it a form of yoga. He says it helps him relax. Fiddle Faddle. It works for him.

Here's hoping the meditation works this time. Come join me , the link is https://www.chopracentermeditation.c...Perfect_Health

Last edited by MaryMary; 03-09-2013 at 08:47 AM..
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:35 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August (this time around)
[QUOTE=DiamondDeb;16285051]Sleep is very important to our health & how we function in every way. I'm a natural night owl & have struggled with that all my life. I've got other sleep issues, too.

For the past few months I have been working very hard to correct my sleep habits and get 8 hrs sleep every night. I use an app on my cell called Sleep Cycle. It tracks my sleep & gently wakes me within a 30 minute time frame. It wakes me when I am in a lighter sleep so it is not jarring. It also uses nice music to do it. "

i have tried that app and it is very cool! And, it may actually reassure some of you that you may be getting better sleep than you think.. because it "knows" what level of sleep you are in.

Tymom (Ty's Mom)
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:45 PM   #43
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Zoloris
I also developed serious sleep problems for the last decade or so. The Doctors would have me try every drug known to man to help me fall asleep and stay asleep. I have tried every drug listed on this thread and then some. It is a constant struggle and I do use medication to stay asleep at night. I would say to those who are still having problems with no success that they may need to find a different doctor. I used 3 that would just keep writing me scripts to see if something would work. It wasn't until the last 1 who actually took the time to really try and find out the root cause...

I have noticed that going low-carb hurts my sleep. I use a sleep journal and it is weird but I sleep less when I am cutting carbs. Anyone else the same way?
Zoloris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: February 2010
I sleep like a rock! And I love it. I used to have problems with getting up early (6 AM in school) going all through my day with no problems, going to swim practice after school, then going to the gym after that, going to eat and then home...super full day, should be dead tired. Could not get tired enough to go to sleep for ANYTHING! I would be up till midnight reading cuz that was the only way I could get myself sleepy enough to actually go to sleep. It was almost like I couldn't shut myself down.

Now days I get anywhere between 5-8 hours of sleep and feel great. I take melatonin and valarian, along with magnesium and sometimes sleepytime tea to make SURE I am tired enough to fall asleep. Usually once I wake up in the morning (what usually wakes me up is the need to pee) and see the sunlight streaming through the windows, I'm awake for the day. Sometimes I still run into the problem of the earlier I get up, the harder it is for me to wind down enough to go to sleep at night. But once I fall asleep, I'm OUT. I can sleep through a jackhammer outside my bedroom window! Done it before, when I worked 3rd shift.
~~~
Do not reward yourself with food, you're not a dog
~~~
Your great granny's granny had a term for healthy food...she called it food
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Vilya
Stats: 285/198/180
WOE: LC/HF for T2 diabetes
Start Date: Sept. 2011
Pre-LC, I thought I "needed" 9+ hours of sleep a night. I never got that much, but when I did I felt great.

After LC, I could get by on much less sleep, like as little as 5 hours.

Now that I'm no longer a corporate drone and sleep whenever the heck I want to, I'm getting a solid 7-8 hours every night, waking up on my body's own time, and feeling better than ever. I'm interested to see if there will be any change in my weight loss now...
Vilya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #46
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonica View Post
I sleep like a rock! And I love it. I used to have problems with getting up early (6 AM in school) going all through my day with no problems, going to swim practice after school, then going to the gym after that, going to eat and then home...super full day, should be dead tired. Could not get tired enough to go to sleep for ANYTHING! I would be up till midnight reading cuz that was the only way I could get myself sleepy enough to actually go to sleep. It was almost like I couldn't shut myself down.

Now days I get anywhere between 5-8 hours of sleep and feel great. I take melatonin and valarian, along with magnesium and sometimes sleepytime tea to make SURE I am tired enough to fall asleep. Usually once I wake up in the morning (what usually wakes me up is the need to pee) and see the sunlight streaming through the windows, I'm awake for the day. Sometimes I still run into the problem of the earlier I get up, the harder it is for me to wind down enough to go to sleep at night. But once I fall asleep, I'm OUT. I can sleep through a jackhammer outside my bedroom window! Done it before, when I worked 3rd shift.
I'm going to try your routine. I usually have two or three nights a week without any sleep. Actually, this is one of those. Been awake since yesterday morning.

I did some reading about valarian and most info says it takes a few weeks to kick in. There was another thread about insomnia and several Posters took up to 1000-1500mg magnesium. I gradually added mg up to 1000mg, but got the side effects - diarrhea. Now I'm back to not tolerating more than 250mg. which isn't enough to help with the sleep issue. Too bad as the 1000mg sure worked.

Melatonin doesn't do anything for me, but maybe with all three it would contribute something.

Thanks for your input. If this all isn't enough, I may even add a small potato although I hope a baked one with butter would be ok. A cold pototo sure doesn't appeal to me. All good information.

Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #47
Blabbermouth!!!

When do you take the valerian, melatonin and magnesium?
Old 06-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #48
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
When do you take the valerian, melatonin and magnesium?
Plus how much of each.

(Thx for asking, Mary, as I was wondering the same thing.)
Old 06-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: February 2010
I take 500 mg of magnesium anywhere between 1-3 hours before I plan on going to bed, then before I actually go to bed I take the melatonin (12 mg, or 4 3mg tablets.) I am out of valarian at the moment, but I take 2 capsules instead of the 5 the bottle reccommends.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:47 AM   #50
Blabbermouth!!!

What are the possible side effects of any of these? Any idea?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Sharon, try taking your magnesium early in the day with food.
I have no problems with that, although my supplement is only 300mg, plus what I get in my multi.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:11 PM   #52
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella View Post
Sharon, try taking your magnesium early in the day with food.
I have no problems with that, although my supplement is only 300mg, plus what I get in my multi.
Bella, thanks for your input!