LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 05:31 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: junip3r
Stats: 295/258.2/150
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: restart date 1/14/13
Show me your Belly!!

So I have about 150lbs that I want to lose.

Starting at 295 ( ) and in 6 weeks I've lost almost 30lbs. I have really been able to tell in my face and tummy. And also how my clothes are fitting.

I have some concerns though... Where is the extra skin going to go? I know that your skin has elasticity, but lets get real here!

For those of you who have lost Ooodles of weight, is your flab turning into FAB?!?

Or am I going to have to invest in the mother of all girdles??
junip3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I lost 117 pounds and have only been maintaining for a month so far. I've heard it can take as much as a year for the skin to do whatever magic it "might" do. Right now it's a hot mess, all flab, and no fab. I look good in clothes though.
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:39 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /214.9/150 goal 5'9", 44 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
I've got "issues" from abdominal surgery I had years ago, as well as the weight-loss. (The surgery gave me a permanent "fold" that hangs down -- and wasn't there, before!)

I've promised myself that when I get down to 150, I'll look into surgery to fix it. This isn't the same as promising myself I'll GET the surgery -- let's get real, I'm not likely to spend that kinda money on myself when I have kids. But I'll look into it...
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: junip3r
Stats: 295/258.2/150
Start Date: restart date 1/14/13
I'm hoping at 33 I still have some elasticity left. But lets face it... things are a lot different than they were at 23.

I guess I will have to prioritize between boobs, or belly. LOL
junip3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jhbyrd
Stats: 235/203/150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: Feb 2012
I had to have a tummy tuck because I had a apron-which is what they call the extra skin. I had infection from it a many times but I have had 2 over 10 pound boys and was overweight before I got pg. I guess everybody is different just my experience. After the Tummy tuck I gained weight back but not all and no more babys, the abs look pretty good right now but I exericse_A LOT. BEST money I ever spent. GOOD LUCK!!
jhbyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #6

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
There are factors which make the answer to your question hard know... genetics, how long you have been overweight, age, how quickly you lost the weight and how recently (and therefore allowed / not allowed the skin to "bounce back" yet if it is going to do so) and amount lost all factor in. I am in my 30s and lost 180lb from 2007-ish to 2012... I have struggled with my weight my WHOLE life... I had excess skin EVERYWHERE... BAD! I had it surgically removed. Before that I used compression (even for my arms). My excess skin "apron" (aka panni) hung quite low (let's just say there is a marker to help insurance determine if the remoaval is medically necessary and mine hung below that "marker".

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/184/145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I'm down to 152 from 207 and my stomach is a Hot Mess! Course i've had 2 C-sections plus and emerg abdominal surgery and 3 pregnancies with 2 Big babies so yah it'll never be flat or pretty again. But I look a Lot better in clothes and tankini swimsuits!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
As long as I don't bend over, I am good!
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
Unless I was an elastic woman that excess skin wasn't going anywhere! After losing a lot of my excess weight - even with little kids - I finally made myself a priority and got the panniculectomy I needed. Insurance did cover it at 75% cause it was that bad. Doc removed 17 pounds of skin and fat I could not lose in that area. Best money spent (okay, who am I kidding - I charged it!) and worth every minute of discomfort to have that GONE. I exercise often and will always have to, in addition to careful eating. It is totally worth it to me!!

PS: Super congrats on your weightloss! You're doing fantastic!
THE ONLY THING STOPPING ME IS MYSELF.
The "easy way out" is the toughest thing I've ever done.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
I've been overweight my whole life (really - we just found pics of when I was a kid at about 7 and I was fat even then). I lost 125 pounds over a period of several years. I've been at this weight now for 2 years. I'd like to lose about another 15 pounds. I do not look fab.
I look OK in clothes, but I'm older than you and my skin definitely didn't bounce back. I'd love to have surgery, but am too scared about the pain and mistakes that could happen and just don't have the guts (ha ha, get it?) to do it. So, I'll probably live with my shar pei body.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
To hot tamale and anyone else who had a panniclectomy. Sp..

I have lost over 100 pounds and know about this "apron" of which you speak

I'm currently in the 230's and am 5'10.....at what weight do you think I shoud be before having panni surgery? My insurance will cover a panni at 100%, but obviously not a tummy tuck where the muscles are repaired. I, too, had a c-section as my son weighed 10.2 and was 22 inches long he's now 16 and 6'4 and 220 pounds!!!!

I would like more info on the panni surgery like what recovery was like and how long and what it now looks like and would be happy to pm you if that is more comfortable!!!!!

Thanks!!!!
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
This is a fabulous thread for anyone thinking about surgery after drastic weight loss. The people in this thread have been incredibly generous in sharing their process, in everything from getting insurance approval, to consults, to recovery. I cannot say enough good things about it.

Excess Skin Removal Surgery?
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #13
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Ntombi!!!!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
insurance will cover a panni at 100%, but obviously not a tummy tuck where the muscles are repaired.
Just to be clear.... not everyone NEEDS muscle repair. Diastasis recti - where the abdominal muscles have become separated - is a very specific condition. Basically, picture the two vertical strips of muscle in a 6 pack... diastasis recti is when the two strips become separated in the middle, and allow the gut to bulge through. Not all overweight or pregant people develop this separation. Men typically dont need the muscle repair... its more commonly needed in women who have given birth.

Usually a doctor can tell just by examining if you have this (i've had a very few cases where a CT scan was required to distinguish between this condition and a hernia). If you do a situp and place your hands over your abdomen, you can feel the bulge of the intestines coming through the separated muscles in diastasis recti.

Also, just to define the two procedures...
A panniculectomy involves ONLY cutting off the extra skin hanging over. Its done purely to relieve symptoms of chaffing and skin erosion, sometimes infections like yeast infections that develop. This is why insurance will cover it. Although a good surgeon will try to make it look as good as possible, its not done primarily for cosmetic reasons and the resulting appearance will not be as "pretty" as an abdominoplasty. If you were to pull out the excess skin with your hands and imagine cutting along the part close to your body and then sewing the skin back together, thats basically a paniculectomy.

An abdominoplasty includes a panniculectomy, but it also includes doing liposuction of the abdomen to contour, releasing (basically adjusting) skin of the abdomen, by loosening it up around the ribs and pulling it down where it is resewn in a horizontal curve above the pubic area, and basically cutting around the belly button to preserve it, like a little flower on a stalk with its blood supply, and then repositioning it in the skin thats been pulled down (otherwise your belly button would be located down at your crotch after the skin being pulled down). And then of course, the muscle repair is done if needed.

Last edited by Strawberry; 02-26-2013 at 10:42 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #15
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Hot Tamale
Stats: 389/183/174 (-206)
WOE: LowCarb & WLS (11/10)
Start Date: every 24 hours...
marieze - I'm happy to share my experiences - I'll just have to do it tomorrow - it is super late for me now!! I can even send a few pics if you'd like. My doc said she only ever did one surgery larger than mine, and that woman had not lost all her weight. She said my results would be a lot better (she showed me pics of that one) and she was right. When it was all done she said I was now officially "scrawny!" Who knew you could weigh 183 and be considered scrawny! lol

I have to add my doc just made me a new bellybutton. First I didn't even see my bellybutton - I thought she had forgotten it. Then I found it and I was sure it was a mistake. I asked her if it was supposed to be that high and she said, "Dear, its honestly supposed to be there - you'll see." It was kinda funny at the time...my bellybutton was literally about 6 - 8 inches off!

And yes, the excess skin thread is a good one. I learned a lot before I began having procedures done by reading it. Anyone interested should check it out - we are all very honest and open about our experiences.
Hot Tamale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Thanks Hot Tamale

I'm looking to having it done in December. I've been documenting for about 2 years now, knowing it would need to be done someday. I've of the pics of my rashes, infections etc. Since my C-section my ab muscles have been non-existant! I would love to o a tummy tuck but don't have the extra $$ to contribute. I'm just happy the pnni surgery is covered!!
Old 02-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #17

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
please stop worrying about this! being fat is NOT better than having some loose skin, be realistic. IF you are able to lose the weight, worry about it then! honestly, it's the last thing you should be worrying about at this stage. *hug*
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
I've been rubbing coconut oil on my belly and arms, hoping it helps the skin bounce back. I'm only 26 but I have a feeling it ain't going to be pretty when it comes down to it after weight loss. My goal weight is 215lbs or so, which is more than some of your starting weights. I hope that my slow prolonged weight loss helps things bounce back but I am definitely preparing for sag city. I don't think I will ever have the money for surgery. If I ever get saggy chin skin, I am going to rob a bank to get the money for that surgery. Anything I can hide under clothes I am sort of okay with.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:18 AM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
My Aunt who had gasto surgery was advised to use a lotion with olive oil and cocoa butter {i'll have to ask her the name} Also was told to take gelatin/collegen pills which she started three months before surgery. She was in her late thirties at the time. Her apron did have to be removed, BUT the skin on her arms and thighs tightened to a level that she was happy with.

In my mid 20's I lost almost 100 on atkins. What I found was that once a month {corresponding with my cycle} that my skin seemed to tighten and I stopped losing weight for about 4-5 days. It was very interesting. At the time I had access to a commercial scale that went to ounces and my diet and fluid intake was always about the same. So over the year period, this happened about 14 times.
I supplemented at the time with a decent multi-vitamin and flax, fish and evening primrose oil. I have my fingers crossed that it works like that this time!

I plan to add the gelatin, actually because I have a knee strain and the physical therapist mentioned that some people take it for the cartledge/tendon repair qualities. It is often advertised as Hair/Nail supplement.
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboozled View Post
I've been rubbing coconut oil on my belly and arms, hoping it helps the skin bounce back. I'm only 26 but I have a feeling it ain't going to be pretty when it comes down to it after weight loss. My goal weight is 215lbs or so, which is more than some of your starting weights. I hope that my slow prolonged weight loss helps things bounce back but I am definitely preparing for sag city. I don't think I will ever have the money for surgery. If I ever get saggy chin skin, I am going to rob a bank to get the money for that surgery. Anything I can hide under clothes I am sort of okay with.
I totally get that... I had a neck lift before I had my lower body lift. Even though other people claimed they didn't notice the "turkey neck" I sure did... it was like having the neck of a 55 year old on a 30-something. It bothered me allot. I am glad I had it done...
Old 02-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryposa View Post
I totally get that... I had a neck lift before I had my lower body lift. Even though other people claimed they didn't notice the "turkey neck" I sure did... it was like having the neck of a 55 year old on a 30-something. It bothered me allot. I am glad I had it done...
It's the one thing I REALLY worry about with the weight loss. Honestly I think a double chin looks better then the saggy neck skin. Of course it's healthier to be thinner, no questions about that.

Funny what we notice in ourselves and other people would never ever notice. I bet you looked great but you saw that "turkey neck" every time you looked in the mirror.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:26 PM   #22
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
She did. I saw her videos and pictures, and I NEVER saw what she was talking about with the neck. Not once. But it bothered her, so…
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboozled View Post
It's the one thing I REALLY worry about with the weight loss. Honestly I think a double chin looks better then the saggy neck skin. Of course it's healthier to be thinner, no questions about that. Funny what we notice in ourselves and other people would never ever notice. I bet you looked great but you saw that "turkey neck" every time you looked in the mirror.
I agree... plumped skin looks more youthful than empty, less-elastic, saggy skin.

Actually from many "angles" I was happy with what I saw in the mirror... but from certain angles... yikes. Same with the "cleavage"... I would wear these really super heavy duty bras which would push up what I had left but along with that, in certain positions the "shrinkles" in that area showed up too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
She did. I saw her videos and pictures, and I NEVER saw what she was talking about with the neck. Not once. But it bothered her, so…
Well, thanks... lol maybe I should ask my doctor for his before pictures of me from before my neck lift... his pics always are taken so the problem area is blaringly obvious lol but trust me... there was wrinkly skin there, and a narrow hanging "band". It was not so terrible that it was very obvious from many angles though... again, just from certain "vantage points" haha...
Old 02-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeelover
Stats: 237/just restarted/125 5'4"
I haven't lost all that much yet, but just recently I bought some shapewear tank-tops. They are helping. I'm kind of worried about the skin issue too but I'll deal with one thing at a time. For now - it's the weightloss.

Good luck!
coffeelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cchavez
can anyone elaborate on the gelatin capsule or cream with olive oil and coconut butter. Thanks.
cchavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:57 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SweetMe678
Stats: 354/334/145 ~ June 3
WOE: Atkins/Gluten Free
Start Date: 11/30/2012
You can search "oral collagen supplement" for more info on collagen.

As for the olive oil and cocoa butter, I remember from cosmetology class that both of those contain fatty acids that are actually absorbed by skin and hair. I've used Olive oil all my adult life as a hair treatment for conditioning and strengthening. Although I've found if I do it too soon after coloring it pulls some of the color out. Also I tend to get winter dandruff and if I rub some into my scalp before taking a bath, my dandruff clears right up.

I'm guessing, since I haven't taken the time to Google it, that the fatty acids help in some what with skin repair.

Last edited by SweetMe678; 03-01-2013 at 07:59 AM..
SweetMe678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:06 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: avid
Stats: 180/134/131...
WOE: Lotsa veggies and LC
Ladies, may I make an observation?
I have commented to my wife and her friends that women,
when they look in the mirror see flaws.
In extreme cases it's all they see.
It's not uncommon for me to comment that I think someone is attractive,
and my wife or other woman in the group to say "her eyes are to far apart" or some other such criticism that I would never notice.
My point is that maybe if you took step back and saw the big picture,
things might appear very different.
just sayin.....
avid is offline   Reply With Quote