Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Carl's Jr. Now has a charbroiled cod sandwich! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797978-carls-jr-now-has-charbroiled-cod-sandwich.html)

marieze 02-26-2013 04:05 PM

Carl's Jr. Now has a charbroiled cod sandwich!

But I went to their website to customize it to leave off the bun and tartar sauce (assuming it's loaded with sugar) and the calculator doesn't work for that ;(
But it is nice to have unbreaded fish as a fast food option....let me know if yoy try it or can figure out if the cod itself has junk added! :)

Strawberry 02-27-2013 06:50 PM

Nice! They also will happily do any of their burgers or sandwiches "low carb" style - i.e. wrapped in a lettuce leaf!

I cant find the nutritional information for the cod itself, minus the bun.

PS. I went to their website, and there is a coupon for $1 off their grilled cod sandwich.

Strawberry 02-27-2013 07:08 PM

Ok, playing around on the nutrition information part... where for SOME sandwiches you can modify things to subtract the bun, add tomatoes etc and get a total nutrition count... You cant do it for the charbroiled cod sandwich for some reason ?? You can only see the total for the whole sandwhich including bun.

Total cod sandwich - 420 cals, 51g carbs, 3 g fiber

Honey wheat bun -210 cals, 39g carbs, 2 g fiber
lettuce and tomato - 15 cals, 3 g carbs, 1 g fiber
Tartar sauce - 170 cals, 4 g carbs, 0 fiber

So if I subtract the extras from the total sandwich, that should leave me just the cod, but I get only 25 cals, 5g carbs, 0 fiber... so that cant be correct for a fish filet. Maybe they use less tartar sauce on it to come up with their nutrition numbers, so some of those calories are really protein from fish?

webcrystal 02-27-2013 07:25 PM

Cod fish

I've tried it not sure of carb count but got it lettuce leaf wrapped I really like it ... very yummy! kind of expensive but I'd still buy it again :)

Ocean 02-27-2013 08:11 PM

I had one last night. I am usually not a Hardees fan, but I have been craving fish and tartar sauce. It was really good. I just estimated it to be around 12 carbs, since I only ate the fish and sauce. I know the sauce has some carbs but there wasn't a lot on it. Plus it is so good.

jem51 02-28-2013 08:06 AM

I can't wait to try this. Carl's is my fav fast food.

LiterateGriffin 02-28-2013 10:11 AM

It's fast food, so sometimes the meat itself has been "doctored". Marinaded, whatever... If they say 5 carbs, I'm gonna believe it.

Still, THRILLED to find unbreaded fish! :D

(Hardees LOOKS like CJ... wish they were REALLY the same. :( )

Ntombi 02-28-2013 10:17 AM

I have yet to find any fast food chicken or fish that isn't full of crap, even "grilled chicken" has several other ingredients added. I stick to burgers at fast food places; at least they don't mess those up.

I'll be happy if the cod really is nothing but cod, but so far, I'm not convinced.

shortcut 02-28-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin (Post 16286354)
It's fast food, so sometimes the meat itself has been "doctored". Marinaded, whatever... If they say 5 carbs, I'm gonna believe it.

Still, THRILLED to find unbreaded fish! :D

(Hardees LOOKS like CJ... wish they were REALLY the same. :( )

Same owners, almost the same logo. Different menus.

Maryposa 02-28-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry (Post 16285175)
Ok, playing around on the nutrition information part... where for SOME sandwiches you can modify things to subtract the bun, add tomatoes etc and get a total nutrition count... You cant do it for the charbroiled cod sandwich for some reason ?? You can only see the total for the whole sandwhich including bun.

lettuce and tomato - 15 cals, 3 g carbs, 1 g fiber
Tartar sauce - 170 cals, 4 g carbs, 0 fiber

So if I subtract the extras from the total sandwich, that should leave me just the cod, but I get only 25 cals, 5g carbs, 0 fiber... so that cant be correct for a fish filet. Maybe they use less tartar sauce on it to come up with their nutrition numbers, so some of those calories are really protein from fish?

That would mean that the whole filet only has ONE gram of protein (and even THAT would assume that the fish filet is completely fat free) :laugh:
I agree with your assessment, that can't be right....

Maryposa 02-28-2013 04:37 PM

I am not sure the accuracy, but I found this via a google search online... I don't beleive there is only 1 gram of sugar (this includes the sauce) out of 12 grams total... but I do believe it could be 12 grams of carbs if it has some flour coating... I was sooo disappointed when I found out that my jack in the box had "naked" chicken fingers, only to find out after I ate some that they do have a light flour coating (I couldn't even see or taste it or feel it (texture)).

Carls Jr - Charbroiled Atlantic Cod Fish Sandwich, Lettuce Wrap

Calories

Sodium
480 mg

Total Fat
12 g

Potassium
0 mg

Saturated
2 g

Total Carbs
12 g

Polyunsaturated
0 g

Dietary Fiber
1 g

Monounsaturated
0 g

Sugars
1 g

Trans
0 g

Protein
14 g

Cholesterol
40 mg

Maryposa 02-28-2013 04:45 PM

Just noticed that those numbers above do line up pretty well with Strawberry's numbers

Minus only the bun

is 210 cals, 12 carbs, 1 fiber

If Strawberry's hunch about them adding less tarter sauce on this sandwhich than their fried version, that makes allot of sense... it would mean that the Cod filet by itself is:

120 calories
8 carbs
0 fiber
13 protein
4 fat

Ntombi 02-28-2013 05:47 PM

Well, I guess it's still off my menu. :(

Maryposa 02-28-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16287260)
Well, I guess it's still off my menu. :(

Mine too... I would want the lettuce and the sauce, also... 12 carbs is just too high for fish wrapped in lettuce! :(

Strawberry 03-01-2013 02:06 PM

After all the press about "pink slime" in burgers, and now HORSEMEAT in the burger supply in Europe (hopefully its not here, but I dont know if they have tested)... I just cant eat burgers anymore. I want to see a filet of recognizable meat - even if its got sugar marinade on it!

I dont know that I would plan on buying it for dinner, but its nice to have as an option for when you are sorta stuck getting fast food.

Maryposa 03-01-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry (Post 16289166)
After all the press about "pink slime" in burgers, and now HORSEMEAT in the burger supply in Europe (hopefully its not here, but I dont know if they have tested)... I just cant eat burgers anymore. I want to see a filet of recognizable meat - even if its got sugar marinade on it!

I dont know that I would plan on buying it for dinner, but its nice to have as an option for when you are sorta stuck getting fast food.

They also have a charbroiled chicken club which does have some type of sauce which causes the carb count to be 7 net, but that is not as high as the fish...

it is also a "recognizable" chunk o meat lol ... it's really tastey. I get it without tomato (I don't like tomato) and that might bring it down another .5-1 gram of carb??

Strawberry 03-01-2013 04:01 PM

Hmmm. The chicken sounds pretty good, Maryposa... I dont mind so much if I get a few carbs from a tomato... its when I'm getting carbs from odd sauces with corn syrup that I get frustrated.

(Also, just to be clear, I dont mean to criticize anyone getting a fast food burger... I'm sure its not the worst thing in the world, and I commend anyone for making a better low carb choice when they have to eat out... its just this psychological aversion to them that I've developed!)

Maryposa 03-01-2013 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strawberry (Post 16289416)
Hmmm. The chicken sounds pretty good, Maryposa... I dont mind so much if I get a few carbs from a tomato... its when I'm getting carbs from odd sauces with corn syrup that I get frustrated.

(Also, just to be clear, I dont mean to criticize anyone getting a fast food burger... I'm sure its not the worst thing in the world, and I commend anyone for making a better low carb choice when they have to eat out... its just this psychological aversion to them that I've developed!)

I WISH I had an aversion to sugary sauces!!! I loooooove BBQ sauce (boy do I miss the kc masterpiece low carb sauce, it's the only low carb BBQ sauce I liked), fish sauce/oyster sauce/that stuff they put on sushi, sesame ginger (which usually also has a sweet factor, etc etc etc

Maryposa 03-01-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maryposa (Post 16289423)
I WISH I had an aversion to sugary sauces!!! I loooooove BBQ sauce (boy do I miss the kc masterpiece low carb sauce, it's the only low carb BBQ sauce I liked), fish sauce/oyster sauce/that stuff they put on sushi, sesame ginger (which usually also has a sweet factor, etc etc etc

:eek: huh? I just saw the netrition link to kc masterpiece ... I guess it still exists but under a different name then I used to buy????

I have been missing out for no reason??? :doh:

Sorry for the thread jack!

Edit: NEVER MIND.... "Discontinued by Manufacturer" .... I guess I haven't been missing out for no reason lol

Charski 03-01-2013 04:12 PM

I called their 800 number the other day after I tried one, low-carb style - now that I'm counting points with DH (but still staying LC) I needed all the info. The nice young man told me he didn't have the info but if I'd give him my email he'd have them notify me with it.

Sure enough, next day, I got the info, and this is it! :)

Carl's Jr. grilled cod sandwich, no bun Cal: 210 Protein: 14 Carbs: 13 Fiber: 1 Fat: 12

Not sure where the 13 carbs come from, although it is wrapped in lettuce and had sliced tomato and onion with it, so majority probably there.

It is seasoned, and it's very very tasty! I had another yesterday and had them add jalapenos to it. It's actually a recognizable, flaky piece of fish filet. I liked it a lot more than I expected to.

Ntombi 03-01-2013 04:41 PM

I wish they would give the answer for just the fish alone! Then we can add other stuff as we choose.

We all have to make the choices we're comfortable with. I'm obviously not a fan of pink slime or mislabeled meat, but I'm still far more comfortable with burgers than multi-ingredient chicken or fish choices. :shake:

And I STILL mourn the loss of KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce. :cry: I saw them at Big Lots right when they were first discontinued, and I bought them out. At one point, I had an entire cupboard shelf full. That was years ago, and they're long gone now, of course. I haven't found a good tasting sauce since. As much as I doctor up BBQ sauces, I still want a good base sauce to work with, and I've been unhappy with every one I've tried.

Maryposa 03-01-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ntombi (Post 16289475)
I wish they would give the answer for just the fish alone! Then we can add other stuff as we choose.

We all have to make the choices we're comfortable with. I'm obviously not a fan of pink slime or mislabeled meat, but I'm still far more comfortable with burgers than multi-ingredient chicken or fish choices. :shake:

And I STILL mourn the loss of KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce. :cry: I saw them at Big Lots right when they were first discontinued, and I bought them out. At one point, I had an entire cupboard shelf full. That was years ago, and they're long gone now, of course. I haven't found a good tasting sauce since. As much as I doctor up BBQ sauces, I still want a good base sauce to work with, and I've been unhappy with every one I've tried.

Well, it seems that from the 12-13 carbs (depending whether you subtract fiber) for the "without bun" version, you can subtract 3 grams carbs for the veggies and 2-4 grams of carbs for the sauce (depending on how much they put on... "light" is 2 grams and normal is 4, but it seems unclear if they put a light amount on this version based on the numbers given... so you are looking at around 7-9 carbs just for the fish filet.

Strawberry 03-01-2013 06:15 PM

Quote:

I'm obviously not a fan of pink slime or mislabeled meat, but I'm still far more comfortable with burgers than multi-ingredient chicken or fish choices.
I understand! To have to even say MULTI INGREDIENT in regard to a fish or chicken is just wrong! There should be ONE ingredient in a fish, right!?

And yeah... I would LOVE to have an acutal BBQ sauce thats low carb. I love BBQ, but havent had it in ages.

Charski - Now you are making me want to go out and try the low carb fish sandwich! LOL

marieze 03-02-2013 03:31 PM

Hi folks.....it's the O P here!

I'm sitting here in the parking lot of my local Carl's Jr. and I just had the cod..I ordered it with no sauce (I won't eat anyone's sauces since they usually add crap to it like hfcs), no tomato, lettuce wrapped in a bowl with a knife and fork.

Got it exactly the way I ordered it. Sliced up the lettuce, topped with some cajun spiced mayo I brought and it was fabulous!

I will happily be doing this again!:yummy:

Maryposa 03-02-2013 03:39 PM

did you notice if it had a "coating" of seasoning on it that may contain flour? that is what jack in the box did to their grilled chicken strips and may explain why just the filet alone appears to be around 8g carb? curious to know :) thanks for updating

marieze 03-02-2013 04:00 PM

I picked the fish apart like I was doing a LC experiment! There was a lot of seasoning and when I used the fork toick it apart it really didn't seems to have any coating....I can't guarantee it....but to THIS human's eye it looked like it was "good to go"!

I was going to ask the guy in Carls Jr. But he already had trouble just following my order of what I wanted:stars:

Maryposa 03-02-2013 05:08 PM

hmmm.... did it taste sweet at all? I wonder where that 8 grams of unaccounted for carbs is coming from

marieze 03-02-2013 05:59 PM

No sweet taste whatsoever....

Maryposa 03-02-2013 06:46 PM

interesting... again, thanks for reporting back!

Strawberry 03-02-2013 06:48 PM

Thanks for the report from the "front lines" Marieze!

I'm really curious to try it at least once now, LOL!