Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #31

Gallery: Maryposa
Stats: 355/181.0/169
WOE: VSG + NK
Start Date: 1997; Recommit May 2007 @355; VSG March 2010
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I now fully believe that the cod fillet has a flour coating, as was suspected. It was really tasty, and depending on how low someone wants to keep their carbs, the lettuce wrapped version (12 net carbs) may or may not be worth it... but anyone who is gluten intolerant should definitely be weary of this.

The reason that I am convinced is because I tried one... the outside of the cod fillet seemed to have an interesting texture... although the inside was flakey, I could "tap" my fingernail on the outside and it had an oddly "hard" surface. It wasn't thick like batter but it was definitely a coating, not just a "dusting" or sprinkling of pure seasonings. I would speculate that this was either to make it easier to evenly distribute the seasoning (so people don't get clumps of seasoning in one bite and none in another) and/or to help keep the fillet from faking while on the grille (i.e. hold the fillet together).

I noticed a bubbled up area on the surface of the fillet so I picked it and it pulled right off, and that is what you see in the pictures attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20130303_173946.jpg (20.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20130303_174018.jpg (17.4 KB, 15 views)

10 sizes lost, 1 or 2 to go!
See my weight loss progress on youtube!
my youtube channel for my post-op weight loss surgery (VSG) journey
Maryposa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
I guess we'll never know unless we ask them! My experience was opposite of yours as I had posted.

For me personally, the fillet was small enough that if what you found was true, if in fact there was flour, it couldn't be more than 1/2 teaspoon at the most....now I brought my own sauce as I find the sugar in sauces more offensive than the flour

Did you have the sauce on yours?
marieze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:32 PM   #33
Gadget Gal

Gallery: Charski
Stats: 174 (WW)/145/150 goal 5'5"
WOE: ATKINS, or a slight variation thereof
Start Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
I guess we'll never know unless we ask them! My experience was opposite of yours as I had posted.

For me personally, the fillet was small enough that if what you found was true, if in fact there was flour, it couldn't be more than 1/2 teaspoon at the most....now I brought my own sauce as I find the sugar in sauces more offensive than the flour

Did you have the sauce on yours?
This was my experience as well - nothing I'd call a "coating" - I'd call it more of a "seasoning" - maybe I'll try emailing the woman who gave me the info straight from Carl's and see if she can tell us WHAT the coating IS!
Charski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

O.k. Just spoke wit their customer service dept....

The cod fillet does have rice flour and it was the second to the last ingredient. It did say "spices" but sugar was mot mentioned as a stand alone ingredient. It does also have maltodexitein, sp., so for those who don't use aspartame for the same reason, this would not be for you!!!

The tartar sauce has high fructose corn syrup, sugar, that maltodexitein and a whole host of yucky goodies.

I seldom eat convenience foods, but I'm comfortable with what I learned and would order the lettuce wrapped sandwich, no sauce in a bowl like I had and enjoyed!!!

Ymmv!!!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 04:12 PM   #35
Gadget Gal

The gal emailed me right back, here is what she sent me:

Fish, Charbroiled Cod
Allergens: Fish, Soy protein

Cod, Water, Rice Flour, Vegetable Oil (Canola, Cottonseed and/or Soybean), Modified Corn Starch, contains 2% or less of: Spices, Salt, Dehydrated Garlic, Dehydrated Onion, Maltodextrin, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Sodium Tripolyphosphate (to retain moisture).

I can live with this one occasionally. YMMV.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:44 PM   #36

Well, you can see how "thick" the coating is on the piece I got (in the pictures I posted) I was holding it between my fingers... I did think about what you said, and found it odd that mine had such an obvious coating (if you are looking for it) I mean, it easily peeled right off... it wasn't less than 1/2tsp on mine.

The coating can easily explain the 8 grams of mystery carbs. I would believe that it is the third ingredient Cod, Water, Rice Flour as in the emailed ingredient list Charski got rather from close to last, because there was more flour looking stuff than seasoning on it.

The tartar sauce carb count is listed on the website as 4g carbs for the other (fried) fish sandwich and 2g carbs for this grilled one (seems they put on a smaller amount); what I got had hardly any sauce on it.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charski View Post
The gal emailed me right back, here is what she sent me:

Fish, Charbroiled Cod
Allergens: Fish, Soy protein

Cod, Water, Rice Flour, Vegetable Oil (Canola, Cottonseed and/or Soybean), Modified Corn Starch, contains 2% or less of: Spices, Salt, Dehydrated Garlic, Dehydrated Onion, Maltodextrin, Disodium Inosinate, Disodium Guanylate, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Sodium Tripolyphosphate (to retain moisture).

I can live with this one occasionally. YMMV.
I agree on that one... it depends on how low you are aiming for as your daily carb limit. For me, 12g net carbs for the lettuce wrapped version as something new/different isn't so bad "once in a while".
Old 03-04-2013, 04:54 PM   #38

I wonder if part of how well the "coating" shows up has to do with how well cooked the fillet is... mine was pretty well cooked (as I said, I could "tap" my fingernail on it and it had an air bubble that formed between the fish and the coating)... I imagine if the coating were still moist (i.e. not as well cooked) it would have been undetectable.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #39

PS thanks gals, for contacting the company and getting this info ... and for reporting back to us! I was really curious why the fish appeared to be 8g carbs!
Old 03-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Hi Charski! Thanks for getting that information sent to you....I always prefer facts to speculation and my customer service lady wasn't accurate!

I eat convenience foods so seldom and so low carb every day when I have my next one I'll be bringing my cajun mayo with no sugar and eat myself silly
Old 03-04-2013, 05:53 PM   #41
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Thanks for following up!
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
Hi Charski! Thanks for getting that information sent to you....I always prefer facts to speculation and my customer service lady wasn't accurate!

I eat convenience foods so seldom and so low carb every day when I have my next one I'll be bringing my cajun mayo with no sugar and eat myself silly
Yum!!! Do you just mix some cajun seasoning from the grocery store in with your mayo?
Old 03-04-2013, 06:43 PM   #43
Gadget Gal

Most of you probably don't know that I care for my 83 year old Mom 24/7/365. Last time I had a night away from this property (she lives in a cottage right next to our house) was over four years ago. I don't really have relief from it except once or twice a week I'll go get a Carl's Jr. turkey jalapeno LC burger - like today - or now, the occasional grilled cod sandwich, and I take it down by the ocean, sit, and just enjoy some time to myself.

So for ME - the couple of carbs involved doesn't really amount to much in the overall course of my daily diet, AND I need the peace and solitude for 30 minutes or so. Since I'm on maintenance, this easily fits into my plan.

Everyone has their own version of LC, their own "spot" in their journey, whether it be induction or maintenance or somewhere in between, and their own "can do" or "won't ever!" foods. This one fits into my "can do" plan. So I'll continue to enjoy it.

And yes, it IS good to be armed with the correct info, so we can make informed choices about what we want to ingest! I love LC and have for nearly 10 years now. I stick pretty close to it 95% of the time. The other 5% I allow myself a little leeway to maintain my mental sanity!

Veni, vidi, velcro - I came, I saw, I stuck.

I reject your reality and substitute my own! ~~ Adam on Mythbusters
Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Charski... just wanted to say how much I admire you taking care of your Mom. (((HUGS)))

Well, I tried the cod sandwich!
I got mine just "Low carb" style, with the tartar sauce and tomato, wrapped in lettuce. I really liked it! The fish was fresh tasting, no "fishy" off taste, and seasoned well - peppery blend of seasonings. My lettuce was fresh and crisp and everything was packaged nicely where I could hold it to eat it. I would definitely order this again! Also, only 200-something calories is great for me!

As an option, you could as for no tartar sauce, but have them put dill pickes and mayo (their mayo appears to be normal mayo with minimal carbs on the website). That way no carbs from the tartar sauce.

Last edited by Strawberry; 03-05-2013 at 07:32 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:26 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PianoAl
Stats: 165/155.5/155
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: June 2010
I tried it as well, just the fish.

For my taste, two words: Two Peppery!
PianoAl is offline   Reply With Quote