Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 11:12 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: MattWCZY
Stats: 57 in. Waist/57 in. Waist/38 in. Waist + Energy
WOE: Something Between Atkins and Paleo
Meals LC and Vegetarians Would Enjoy

I recently started seeing someone who is a vegetarian, and I am trying (again) to commit myself to LC. We are both totally supportive of each other's WOE, but needless to say, coming up with meal ideas when we're together can be difficult. We've done well so far, but I'm curious what kinds of creative ideas others on this board may have for meals that a LC dieter and vegetarian can enjoy together. I'm sure that most meals would require some substitutions (ala I eat a burger, she goes veggie burger), but I'm looking to avoid having to make two separate meals. She does eat fish, but unfortunately I have an allergy, so that's out (for me at least). Eggs are fair game though...so is dairy. Thanks for any advice!
MattWCZY is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Crustless quiche. (Great for dinner, hot. Top with some dijon mustard for extra zing. Good cold, for breakfast.)
Deviled eggs
Egg salad
Egg salad IN AN AVOCADO.

Just for some quick and obvious ones!

Also, if your carb-level will allow, any sort of baking (using almond, flax, and coconut flours) -- "pancakes", "cookies", "breads"... There's a good list of stuff.

LC pizza -- there are a number of ways to make the LC crust floating around...

Baked artichoke, with some really good dipping-sauce (LOTS of butter, with a bit of garlic and lemon...)

Again, these are just the "top of my head" ideas, things that I routinely make that use little-to-no meat., or that I know others routinely make. I'm sure you'll get lots more.
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Rhubarb
Stats: 195/126/140
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattWCZY View Post
I recently started seeing someone who is a vegetarian, and I am trying (again) to commit myself to LC. We are both totally supportive of each other's WOE, but needless to say, coming up with meal ideas when we're together can be difficult. We've done well so far, but I'm curious what kinds of creative ideas others on this board may have for meals that a LC dieter and vegetarian can enjoy together. I'm sure that most meals would require some substitutions (ala I eat a burger, she goes veggie burger), but I'm looking to avoid having to make two separate meals. She does eat fish, but unfortunately I have an allergy, so that's out (for me at least). Eggs are fair game though...so is dairy. Thanks for any advice!
My husband is a vegetarian who eats cheese and dairy and I cook for both of us. It does take a little creativity. I would first ask your girlfriend what she likes to eat and then then think of ways you can add your proteins to it. Vegetarians eat lots of things that we can share, so I'd start from there.

We eat a lot of big salads, to which I often throw on some chicken or tuna. I make a fresh pomodoro sauce for pasta to which I'll add an italian sausage on the side for myself --- and we both eat over spaghetti squash. We eat a lot of vegetable casseroles with cheese, cream and nut toppings. We often have frittatas and quiches, which I make with a ground blanched almond crust that tastes remarkably like a pastry crust. I make a mexican smorgasbord that includes beans, cheese, guacamole and beef. He eats soft tacos with beans and I make a taco bowl with the beef and we both pile on the extras. We eat antipasto plates with lots of olives and peppers and cheeses. He has a few crackers and I have some delicious salami.

It's really not that hard unless she's very hooked on pasta and bread, but even then there's no reason you can't eat whatever's on it or in it and add a little bit extra protein. My husband has almost completely eliminated bread from his diet and eats much less pasta than he used to simply because I'm making more things that don't require it. He doesn't complain.

It's actually fun to do this and if your girl is up for it, you can cook together, which is very romantic!

Good luck.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
One of my best friends is vegan, and we eat together quite often. Obviously, as a vegan, her food options are even more limited than your new sweetie's, but we make it work very well, so I have no doubt you can too.

We eat out often, but we also cook together. We both adore roasted veggies, so we'll often build a meal around that, and then I'll have a meat, and she'll have salad or potatoes or something else. Roasting Brussels sprouts, string beans, broccoli, cauliflower (not for me, though--yuck!!), mushrooms, fennel, squash, peppers, bok choy, cabbage (out new favorite!), or almost any other veggie is fabulous. In fact, I bought turnips the other day, so we can try roasting them for the first time. Salt, pepper, olive oil, and maybe some balsamic vinegar, and a hot oven is all you need.

Add some potatoes and maybe fish for her, and a meat for you.

As for eating out, almost anything works. Mexican, Chinese (avoid the sugary sauces), classic American, Greek, it all works.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: canadiangirl
Stats: 162/125/125
WOE: Low Carb/ ReducedCalorie
Start Date: June 12, 2012
This is a favorite in my house
MOCKAFONI & CHEESE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
canadiangirl is offline   Reply With Quote