Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lovelymc72
WOE: low carb
hopeless, or not

Do you ever get the feeling that after being fat your entire life, you will never lose the weight without, maybe surgery or something else. I dont ever remember being under 200lbs. I am sure I have been when I was younger, but never in my adult life. Sometimes I say, maybe I just need a tool or something, then I think maybe I should just get my head examined. Just venting.
lovelymc72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: AsmallerME
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 8/18/14
Sometimes. But then I read about all the wonderful people here who have lost more than I need and have hit goal. So I know it's definitely possible.
AsmallerME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 4myfuture
Stats: 216/186/166
WOE: healthy lower carb meals - no snacking
I know that feeling. I haven't been heavy my whole life, but I get the feeling sometimes, that I'm just stuck at this weight and I'm trying so hard, why won't it budge??? I think maybe plastic surgery, maybe a magic pill, but then I always come back to healthy eating and exercise......I have to get out of my own head! It gets in the way a lot!

I think at times we are so hard on ourselves. There is more to life than what our body looks like!
4myfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4myfuture View Post
I think maybe plastic surgery,
I've promised myself that when I get down to 150, I'll consider surgery to fix my belly (and maybe my arm-skin). Yes, I have that urge... But I'm subverting it towards a positive goal.
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

my doctor even said to me that maybe i have a set point. going under 245-243 has been impossible. I only hit 240 when i had stomach issues and could not eat at ALL. Should I stop eating, lol.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: KeirasMom
Stats: 277.6/150/150 (per Dr., stop losing!)
WOE: Whatever plan keeps me around 150 lbs!
I tried and failed at losing weight so many times (or had a little success before falling off the wagon) that I despaired of EVER losing more than 20 or 30 pounds. I just kept trying until I found the plan that I could live with for the rest of my life, and it finally clicked. It can be done, and many HAVE done it, but it's just so overwhelming sometimes. I found mini-goals to be helpful along the way. If I focused solely on my goal weight, I would have thought it was hopeless and thrown in the towel.

JUDDD got me where I want to be!
KeirasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: GAVIV
Stats: RNY 12/26/12 234.4/148/125-130?
WOE: Trying to stay low carb as possible
Yes, that was me last year. No matter what I did, I couldn't lose weight, I continued to gain. Went to so many doctors and every told me I am normal Didn't matter if I cut calories, or carbs, or fat, nothing helped.

So I did have surgery, and it has changed my life in only 2 months so far. I can't wait for the nest few months...it has been a complete refresh mentally.
GAVIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
Major LCF Poster!

thats how I honestly feel. cut carbs, exercise, eat more fat, eat less fat, eat nothing, still nothing. I lose like 20-25lbs only to gain 15 more. I think maybe Iam a surgery candidate. I know its not a magic bullet and a very hard process, but i think this fat is stuck to me like glue.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: PaleoRainy
Stats: 212/158/144
WOE: IF with carb cycling
Start Date: 24/09/08
I know I have no right to think that after having lost over 50 lb but as you know the last few pounds are the hardest to come off and it has taken me a good deal of time to find a way. Now it seems I found it but it took a couple of years going up and down between 165 and 170 lb before to get it. And all through those years I did think they would never come out, I thought my metabolism was broken, and that I had tried all tricks o earth (but one!), that was going to be my size anyways...etc...a lot of excuses, to say it honestly.
It will come off because our fat rolls are just not as strong and dedicated as we are. You go! Keep strong!!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovelymc72 View Post
thats how I honestly feel. cut carbs, exercise, eat more fat, eat less fat, eat nothing, still nothing. I lose like 20-25lbs only to gain 15 more. I think maybe Iam a surgery candidate. I know its not a magic bullet and a very hard process, but i think this fat is stuck to me like glue.
Lovely - look into it. Mine was approved by insurance and the best thing I have ever done. PM me if you want more info, happy to discuss!

It is beyond frustrating and very emotional to be in that situation, and feeling hopeless is all too familiar. But there is hope. Good luck in whatever you choose!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #11
Major LCF Poster!

did you have the bypass or the sleeve?
Old 02-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

I had gastric bypass on 12/26/12. My surgeon and I decided that was best for my needs, and there just isn't enough history on the sleeve to make me comfortable.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #13

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
*nodding* and that surgery actually helps some people! on the other hand, after a few years, so many have gained most of it back and still have all the troubles that go with it.

you are going to have to eat that much less even if you get the surgery. best just do it, as far as I am concerned. best of luck. *hug*
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: sillyme
Stats: 328/174.2/150
WOE: Atkins for the first 100 now hHCG
Start Date: Jan 2/07- restart Sept 2010
Also may want to look into HCG as well. I too was stuck and nothing was apparently wrong with me either. HCG wasn't something i'd ever considered but after doing lots of research i gave it a try and got down over 18 pounds in 4 weeks. I am now stabilizing for 6 weeks and then will do another round to lose some more.
sillyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post

you are going to have to eat that much less even if you get the surgery. best just do it, as far as I am concerned. best of luck. *hug*
That's been my biggest motivation this time around. That and mobility/pain issues.

I have a friend who had the surgery, and lost 150 or so pounds. She eats 1200-1400 calories a day, and has to eat a lot of protein powders, bars, and nutritional supplements.

I figured I had to at least give it a REAL try at 1200-1400 calories, and see how it impacted me... and the only way I can do that without killing people from hunger is with low carb. (Plus, I'm IR and pre-Diabetic, so LC is the best plan for me to keep my blood sugars controlled).

Since really watching my calories as well as my carbs, I'm slowly seeing the scale inch down again. We'll see how it goes. It's only been six weeks since my last 'rededication'.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenrose View Post
*nodding* and that surgery actually helps some people! on the other hand, after a few years, so many have gained most of it back and still have all the troubles that go with it.

I think this can be said about any method of weight loss if you don't have dedication or self control long term. I eat a ridiculously small amount of calories - around 300 most days - but I don't need more at this point. I am sure as time goes by my calories will adjust. I am extremely cognizant of not stretching my pouch, as the benefits of the surgery will decrease.

I did a lot of research on this before taking the plunge.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I'm glad that you found something that works for you, Greer. I remember reading older posts in which it was clear that on-plan lowcarb wasn't working for you, and I'm glad you are doing better. It sounds like you thought this through very carefully and are a very self-disciplined person. I hope you stay well and continue to lose.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I'm glad that you found something that works for you, Greer. I remember reading older posts in which it was clear that on-plan lowcarb wasn't working for you, and I'm glad you are doing better. It sounds like you thought this through very carefully and are a very self-disciplined person. I hope you stay well and continue to lose.
Very sweet. Thanks for the kind words.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:26 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
lovely, it appears that you have been a member her for 10 years.

I would've never recommended surgery in the past but I am over that and believe that ones happiness is the most important thing in life.

The one thing I still believe is to do what's simple first; try the band and see how you like it...you can have it removed if you don't like it.

I know peop who've done both and there does not seem to be one that is better than the other.....it's very individual.

Maybe it's time to stop struggling!?
Old 02-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

thanks to everyone. Just a little sick and tired of the struggle. For the hcg option, where do i get it. I hear it is very expensive at a clinic and the homeopathic ones just dont work. I did have a friend of a friend who did the actual injections and it worked very well for her, but i no longer have her contact. i did try those pellets once and i dont think it worked or not. i may give it another try.