Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 10:12 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mikey
New to The site and in need of advice.

Hi guys, I have been living the low carb lifestyle for the past 9 months. Through the first 7 I had incredible results losing 60lbs! Then came December and part of January where I decided to do more of a maintain where I would eat low carb for at least 5 days out of the week but would indulge on the weekends / holidays but always planed to get back on the wagon after the new year. Well in early January I decided to "hit it hard" once again as I still had 40lbs I wanted to loose. All of January did not show much results. I figured I had hit the dreaded plateau. To combat this I decided to join a gym and start an exercise routine. (Have not added exercise up until this point.) All of February I have been an animal at the gym! Not a ton of weight lifting only about 20min but always 40-50min of elliptical / treadmill cardio 5 days a week. well I weighed in today and have not changed an oz dating back to January. I am beyond frustrated and need some advice. I know I've added some muscle weight but have not even fluctuated up or down just stayed the same. So it seems fishy. I thought after I got in the gym it'd turbo charge my weight loss but nothing!! Please help!! Male 6'4" currently 300lbs 31years old.
Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Mikey! There is a school of thought that thinks anything more than 1 hour a day of exercise is counter productive for a variety of reasons. The most important one in terms of weight loss is that it stressed the adrenial gland and therefore causes too much cortisol into the system.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
hard as it is to get anyone to listen, pretty much all the serious studies show that exercise DOES NOT HELP WEIGHT LOSS. it's healthy for a variety of reasons, but not that. your body is a finely tuned system, and when you up energy use that way, there are a zillion ways your body compensates to keep that from changing your weight.

good luck on the continued weight loss, but the KEY THING is not to gain back what you have lost. it's so common to do that, and it's so much more unhealthy than just staying fat in the first place. be vigilent, especially when you don't feel like it.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
Gary Taubes discusses this in some detail in Why We Get Fat. In one of the research studies he discusses, sedentary people trained for 18 months and finally ran a marathon. The men lost an average of five pounds - the women lost none!

Exercise is good for you, but it won't necessarily affect your weight!
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1sweettea1
Stats: 267/156/130
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: January 2013 after roux en y surgery Jan 2012
As far as the, "indulge on the weekends / holidays" scenario goes I think I saw on this site someone explaining that for every day you go off plan it takes 3 days to get back to where you were before going off the lo carb lifestyle.
Does this sound right or am I hallucinating again after eating jalapenos for breakfast?

1sweettea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jijane21
Stats: 195/169/130
WOE: LC
Start Date: Latest start Jul 2013
I don't know if the exercise helps with weight loss, but I know it helps me stay on plan. Exercising makes me feel better, my face looks younger, higher libido, increased energy...and it's hard for me to get those benefits if I'm too heavy. That being said, I've added exercise in the past month as well and haven't seen a difference on the scale either. I'm a female, 183lbs, 5 ft 3 in. I do an hour of Zumba 4-5 days a week and most days after Zumba I try to squeeze in about a 30-45 minute weight session. I do see changes in my body, my fat isn't as flabby, my arms, legs, and butt are firmer, and I've lost a back roll!

If the exercise makes you feel better and helps you stay on plan then do it, if you don't like it then don't do it.

Last edited by jijane21; 02-26-2013 at 10:56 AM..
jijane21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #7
Junior LCF Member

Wow! Thanks for the quick responses. To hear that exercise does not really help is news to me. So would you say I'm just on a plateau? And if so does anyone know of a way to kickstart my body back into weight losing mode? I think my diet is ok as I test twice a day and I'm always in ketosis.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
Mikey-
Being in ketosis doesn't guarantee weight loss. There always has to be a caloric deficit. When we're not gaining or losing (for a significant amount of time), then we are just eating to maintain our current weight.

It might help if you tracked carbs and calories for a few days to see exactly how much of each you're consuming.

Both Dr. Atkins and Dr. Michael Eades identified two reasons why people stall of low-carb plans--carb creep and/or calorie creep--gradually eating more without realizing it.

Although exercise is great for general health, experts agree that 90% of weight loss is due to what we eat (or don't eat).
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

After thinking about I bet you are right Leo... It must be the calories. I guess I will give it a shot and report back to you guys when the scale starts moving! Thanks again everyone!!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #10
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /217.5/150 goal 5'9", 44 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
I'll quibble a bit on the exercise thing. I think it serves ONE useful function, in terms of weight-loss:

When we over-do the carbs, it helps re-deplete our glycogen stores.

This isn't a big thing, or a vital one. But it's THE thing that it does to help.

As for getting back to losing... I'd suggest
  1. Going back and re-reading the book. (This is always a good plan when re-starting)
  2. Doing a really CLEAN induction for 2 weeks.
  3. Making sure you're eating enough fat.

Typically, when someone has gone off and come back, and now can't lose, they've either had carb-creep or protein-creep. Eating lots of hard-boiled eggs, chicken breast, etc, and being vaguely hungry a lot...
Old 02-26-2013, 12:25 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
Going off plan typically sets me back 3 days... sometimes more! No way I could BINGE for 2 days without a total RESTART... complete with cravings. My experience a restart is where I must eat only induction foods in what ever quantity I need to not feel hungry. The numbers look impressive but I'm convinced that most is reducing bowel load. (Sorry TMI!)
I consider that falling off the wagon... And I am determined NOT TO! There is NO Exercise that can negate a BINGE. To get back on plan is 3 (or more) days of WORK. Show a little backbone. You had a great run... you know it works. Are you afraid of success?

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!" "Lead me not into carb temptation!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE... but gotta stay ON it.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Sunny7
Mikey, what are a couple days of menus like for you----
Sunny7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Sunny, here's what to looks like:
Mornings: 2/3 eggs with onion 2 strips of bacon and 1 sasauge patty (this is pretty regular)
Lunches: leftovers from night before always make enough for lunch the next day. If not lunch meat turkey or salami about 4 slices lately salami is my go to with 2-3 slices of cheese and musterd.
Dinners: a few of my favorite... 2 1/2 hot Italian sausages with onions and peppers and about 2 tablespoons of marinara with 2 slices of provolone.
Burger patty 1/2lbs+ with onion, pickle, avocado, green chilli, mustard, just a bit of ketchup.
Taco salad- ground beef, with taco seasoning, shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, sour cream 2 tbl spoons, avocado1/2, onions, 3tbl spoons taco sauce.

Dinner:
Old 02-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Snacks!! I love turkey bites about 8. Also summer sasauge and more lunch meat & cheese
Old 02-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #15
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
Just watch the portions on things like onions, the carbs at up quickly. Check your sausages, many have bread crumbs. Try to avoid the processed meats as well.
I bet a few small cut backs on the onions and cheese will make a difference.
suzanneyea is online now   Reply With Quote