Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   anyone seen (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797932-anyone-seen.html)

soon 02-26-2013 06:58 AM

anyone seen

the new segetto commercial? they are saying their cheese is real. they showed a pic of a laughing cow pakage turned upside down and said other cheeses are not real. I have never checked the ingredients of lcc andI eat tons of it I assumed it was cheese. Anyone know what I am eating whem I eat one?

LiterateGriffin 02-26-2013 11:39 AM

You're talking about "Paturized processed cheese food product", AKA "American cheese"?

No, it's not "real" cheese. It's utter crap. Avoid it, in favor of ACTUAL cheese.

REAL cheese has an ingredient list no longer than 5 items long, that looks like, "Pateurized milk, cheese culture, enzyme, salt, preservative", and that last is optional. (And the culture/enzyme will vary, based on variety.)

If the ingredient list has anything BESIDES that -- it's "processed cheese", aka not cheese at all.

1sweettea1 02-26-2013 11:46 AM

Well crap. I guess my neighbor is getting my laughing cow.

Dottie 02-26-2013 03:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Laughing cow light is cheese.

Rhubarb 02-26-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dottie (Post 16282559)
Laughing cow light is cheese.

Yeah, I was going to say they can pry my Laughing Cow light from my cold, dead fingers. It's actually more "cheesy" than cream cheese which I think a lot of us eat quite liberally.

KRAFT, PHILADELPHIA SOFT CREAM CHEESE
INGREDIENTS: Pasteurized Nonfat Milk, and Milkfat, Whey Protein Concentrate, Cheese Culture, Salt, Whey, Stabilizers (Xanthan Gum, and/or Carob Bean Gum, and/or Guar Gum). Sorbic Acid, as a preservative Vitamin A Palmitate.

or better yet:

ORGANIC VALLEY, CREAM CHEESE
INGREDIENTS: Pasteurized Cultured Organic Milk, and Organic Cream, Salt, Carob Bean Gum.

LiterateGriffin 02-26-2013 04:25 PM

Laughing cow lite is MADE FROM cheese. It contains additional ingredients (whey, sodium phosphate, sodium citrate). Therefore, it is a "cheese product". Not actual cheese. If you look carefully, you will see that it is not labeled as such, but as "Cheese food".

KeirasMom 02-26-2013 04:35 PM

I enjoy my LC cheese type stuff, so I'll continue to eat it. ;)

Dottie 02-26-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KeirasMom (Post 16282675)
I enjoy my LC cheese type stuff, so I'll continue to eat it. ;)

:shake:

lc-dave 02-26-2013 06:47 PM

Cheese is always confusing :-)

You have your "cheese food" and "cheese product". I'm not worried about pasteurizer, but whether it is actual cheese. American Cheese has a bad reputation because there is "American Cheese" and "American Cheese Food". American Cheese is supposed to just be very mild cheddar, that if it wasn't pasteurized the first slice would be mild and the last sharp :-) ie, the pasteurization just stops it from aging. Extra whey helps keep it soft

Kismet311 02-26-2013 06:59 PM

I loveeeeeeeeee cheese but I've never tried laughing cow. I've always wanted to. I have never heard of segetto cheese. Is that a brand?

Missouri_Librarian 02-26-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kismet311 (Post 16282936)
I loveeeeeeeeee cheese but I've never tried laughing cow. I've always wanted to. I have never heard of segetto cheese. Is that a brand?

Me either....I was thinking maybe she meant sargento?? :dunno:

Strawberry 02-26-2013 09:48 PM

The ingredients listed for laughing cow cheese look pretty wholesome to me.

That label says it has "Cultured milk and skim milk, salt, enzymes, whey, cream, sodium phosphate, sodium citrate, and salt"

rubidoux 02-26-2013 10:02 PM

Why would low carvers be eating light cheese? Does it have fewer carbs?

Kismet311 02-27-2013 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missouri_Librarian (Post 16283176)
Me either....I was thinking maybe she meant sargento?? :dunno:

Maybe. I was wondering if there is a cheese out there I have not tried. I never met a cheese I didn't like :o

Missouri_Librarian 02-27-2013 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kismet311 (Post 16283276)
Maybe. I was wondering if there is a cheese out there I have not tried. I never met a cheese I didn't like :o

Oh me either, I love love love it..;) and i do pay attention to the labels, I just dont use shredded and shred it myself due to added filler junk

svenskamae 02-27-2013 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubidoux (Post 16283199)
Why would low carvers be eating light cheese? Does it have fewer carbs?

Some of us count calories as well as carbs. I do a lowcarb version of JUDDD, alternating around 300 calories per day with 1700 calories per day. On my down (lowcalorie) days, I eat light cheese. On my up days, I eat triple cream cheeses.

Rhubarb 02-27-2013 09:19 AM

The light and the original have the same number of carbs but the light has slightly fewer calories. Carbs being equal, I pick the lower calories.

piratejenny 02-27-2013 09:22 AM

Not arguing for or against...just some observations: :)

The Laughing Cow website calls it "processed cheese" and "cheese spread".
Wikipedia says it "is an example of European processed cheese".

I'm not a cheese maker or anything, :laugh: but just by texture & the way it melts, I've always thought of it as a cheese "spread"/mixture of cheeses and not a "real" cheese. Most cheeses (other than really soft ones, like cream cheese and marscapone) have a structural integrity to them--they come apart in chunks or strings; you can't just smush them with a finger!

PS--I looked at the bel-uk site first; LCow has a separate website. Ingredients include "emulsifying salts" which seems to be the hallmark of a processed cheese--it's several ingredients, like milk, water, and oil (actual cheese optional in the US!), emulsified to a cheese-like consistency.

Missouri_Librarian 02-27-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piratejenny (Post 16284009)
The Laughing Cow website calls it "processed cheese" and "cheese spread".
Wikipedia says it "is an example of European processed cheese".

I'm not a cheese maker or anything, :laugh: but just by texture & the way it melts, I've always thought of it as a cheese "spread"/mixture of cheeses and not a "real" cheese. Most cheeses (other than really soft ones, like cream cheese and marscapone) have a structural integrity to them--they come apart in chunks or strings, you can't just smush them with a finger!

Not arguing for or against...just some observations. :)

I am with you,,,anytime I have had this kind, i used it as a spread...except the little babybel individual hard cheese in the wrappers...love it all :)

thealything 02-28-2013 07:16 PM

cheese battles!

Kismet311 03-01-2013 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thealything (Post 16287428)
cheese battles!

The cheese Gods will have the final say :p

I am inclined to go check out some of the cheeses mentioned in this thread. I think if not eaten in excess they are not too bad. There are MUCH worse things we could be eating! (Does anyone know if cheese is bad for dogs because mine is a cheese-hound and will steal it out of my hand if I'm not careful)!

KeirasMom 03-01-2013 08:35 AM

Trainers often use cheese as a reward for dogs during training, so I think it should be fine.

Ntombi 03-01-2013 09:02 AM

Don't overdo it, a tiny amount of cheese is okay for most dogs, but after weaning, dogs generally become lactose intolerant, so you don't want to give cheese too often, or too much a time. I will sometimes give my dog a couple of cheese treats, but they are tiny, like three together will be the size of my fingernail. They don't care how big a treat is, just that you're giving it. ;)

magentagirl13 03-01-2013 07:21 PM

I have a dog and cheese story!! My husband's dog had some sort of skin ailment (she was itchy, losing fur, and a bit stinky). Anyway, he had to give her lots of baths and meds and things, and they didn't seem to be doing much. Then one day my mom and I were having cheese and wine and bread before getting ready to go out, and we weren't really paying attention to the food (the Kentucky Derby was on and I was watching that and going up and down the stairs to get dressed), and the dog took ONLY the bleu cheese off the plate, and ate the whole thing. Her skin condition cleared up completely, very quickly. So I'm pretty sure that something in the cheese helped her, and she knew it would help her.