Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   PB2 has sugar reallY (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797931-pb2-has-sugar-really.html)

soon 02-26-2013 06:50 AM

PB2 has sugar reallY

Was just looking at my bottle and noticed they list sugar as an ingredient really? Why does peanut butter have to have sugar? Am gonna have to throw it out

svenskamae 02-26-2013 07:03 AM

Practically everything preprepared, including mayonnaise, salad dressing, and nut butter has some form of sugar or corn syrup added to it these days, though for some things like peanut butter, you may be able to find a brand that doesn't have added sugar. Look for "peanuts, salt" as the only ingredients.

I don't put anything in a container in my grocery cart until I've read the ingredients, and I end up making practically everything from scratch to avoid added sugars. I've ended up leaving unopened food containers on the counter at work with a "free" sign far too often, and I've finally learned my lesson about that.

mainemom 02-26-2013 09:19 AM

I'm glad to see this issue becoming more prevalent in the news these days. I've seen Dr Lustig on many news programs and in magazine articles addressing this subject and pointing out the toxicity of sugar and it's overwhelming usage in nearly all our prepared food. Maybe EVENTUALLY we'll start seeing sugar eliminated from a lot of these foods.

Liz1959 02-26-2013 09:26 AM

Smuckers Natural is available about everywhere. Peanuts, salt.

DiamondDeb 02-26-2013 09:30 AM

Always read labels before buying even when you think you know the ingredients.

Smuckers peanut butter contains only peanuts & salt. I tried salt-free, fresh ground peanut butter & found myself salting it so I use Smuckers. Most peanut butters contain nasty ingredients.

I buy very few processed/packaged foods - Smuckers peanut butter is one, mustard is the other one I can think of.

We're being poisoned by the ingredients allowed in food.

Mistizoom 02-26-2013 09:31 AM

I noticed that PB2 has sugar as an ingedient so I didn't buy it. I bought some peanut flour from netrition instead, hopefully that would work for the same types of uses. I am careful to buy peanut and nut butters with no added sugars as well.

LiterateGriffin 02-26-2013 10:42 AM

Where did you find UNSALTED, fresh-ground PB? I buy the fresh-ground, but it's made from salted, roasted, peanuts.

My local PUBLIX sells it, near the deli stuff.

And yeah, gotta check EV.ERY.THING.

DiamondDeb 02-26-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiterateGriffin (Post 16281956)
Where did you find UNSALTED, fresh-ground PB? I buy the fresh-ground, but it's made from salted, roasted, peanuts.

My local PUBLIX sells it, near the deli stuff.

And yeah, gotta check EV.ERY.THING.

I got I unsalted at Publix deli. No clue is they still make it that way. I think they only had the I unsalted back when I tried it.

rndiane 02-26-2013 02:58 PM

I go to a health food store and grind my own; peanuts only. My favorite snack is cheddar cheese with peanut butter on top.

Janknitz 02-26-2013 03:13 PM

I was wondering about that. I see people here raving about PB2. I have this thing against mail ordering food if it's available locally, and I found some at a local health food store. Then I was shocked to see not only that it had sugar, but a LOT of sugar in it. Same with Adams nut butters in various flavors. A blogger I thought was low carb was always going on and on about them, but our local WF carries them, and they have a shocking amount of carbs.

jmc305 02-26-2013 06:37 PM

for what it's worth, I think PB2 is disgusting and doesn't even taste remotely like peanut butter. My Cuisinart was the best low carb tool I ever bought. Peanuts, oil, done. Never got around to making any mayo, but I need to. The storebought has sugar. They put sugar and salt in EVERYTHING. Have a crappy tasting food product, but still want your food company to turn a profit? Ah heck, just toss some more salt and sugar in it and it will sell like hotcakes to the masses. You can even call it low fat and trick the health nuts. It annoys me to no end!!!!!!