Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
If you didn't specify and no one else eats LC the probably did just think "diet food" and leave out certain things. Next time get with whoever is doing the ordering and ask where the food is coming from, then order generously. I keep cans of vienna sausages and potted meat in my locker at work to snack on whenever I need extra.
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-2013, 06:44 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: LAGril
Stats: 235/163/130
WOE: strict old school Atkins
Start Date: May 17, 2009
I'm sorry that you had those difficulties. But, you ate what you could and did well. You should be proud of yourself.

It is a rare instance when I cannot find something suitable to eat. I have stripped the bread from many a sandwich at conferences or meetings. About the only situation where I found literally nothing I could eat was at a "fish fry." Everything contained batter or sweet sauces or potatoes or something I did not care to eat. So, when the event was done, I asked my companions to pull into a convenience store. I bought some string cheese sticks and almonds. While it wasn't a complete meal, it did the trick.

Politely speaking up is always the best way to get what one needs. I have yet to have anyone refuse to go to a restaurant where I can get something to eat. Usually, it just takes once or twice with any group of friends or coworkers, until they naturally ask me whether the selected venue is suitable for me.

Its my life and my health and I will make sure that my needs are addressed. While I don't care what people think, I have never met with resistance. Most of the time, the people I am with take no note of what I am eating -- the conversation is too interesting to focus on what is or is not going in my mouth.

At some regular conferences I attend, the organizer is used to my requirements and always makes sure to have something for me. That is one advantage of politely speaking up for myself -- people cannot provide for me, if I don't tell them what I need.

I don't explain why I eat the way I do, nor categorize it as a diet or allergy or make any other excuse. I simply say that I do not eat starches or sugars and need a meal with meat, fish or chicken and green vegetables or a salad.

I've made it through dates, conferences, work events, family holidays, parties, roadtrips and foreign adventures. Its all a matter of attitude and preparation.

Good luck.
LAGril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #33
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 Trying again...223/206/146 5'7
WOE: JUDDD/Gluten & Dairy Free
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
I'm with Leo41. I have eaten out so much on this WOE that I can find something to eat almost anywhere. The only things that are almost impossible are breakfast bars at conventions... it's just pastries. Sometimes fruit. Occasionally bagels and cream cheese. I've been known to drink coffee w/cream and eat 3-4 little packages of cream cheese for my breakfast when at a convention. )
I don't generally eat breakfast so it isn't really a big deal, but I have been known to get lc fruit and cream cheese packets at these sorts of events.

I have a gluten intolerance, which at least gets respect from my table mates, but when the lunch is lasagna or other pasta, garlic bread & pasta salad there really isn't anywhere to go with that meal.

I went to a week-long training once and every day there was the same lunch- bready sub sandwich, pasta salad & a cookie. Then they told us we weren't "allowed" to leave. I am 40+ years old and last I checked, not an indentured servant. Bye!

These threads always interest me. I don't have anyone in my life that would make comments about my food or behave the way people post here.

I do know some pretty rude, entitled vegetarians though. I was in charge of trainings for teachers for awhile. I did one with a vegetarian who started fussing about lunch about 9:00. Then when the caterer guys showed up she pounced on them (in the middle of my super duper interesting training) and tried to horde what she wanted because she was afraid "there would be nothing left to eat" if she waited patiently like the rest of us.

Another time (different vegetarian) while we were going over norms (cell phones on silent, listen politely to others), a gal wanted everyone to agree to the norm "vegetarians get to line up for lunch first." Um, no.

Oh, at my school we have potlucks every month. We have several vegetarians at work (most of whom are nice, considerate people), but there is one who brings a cereal bowl size bowl of raw broccoli and then complains that others don't bring vegetarian entrees so there isn't enough for her...... "So much meat!" You don't see me whining about "So much pasta!" now do you?

3/24/14- She is Beautiful 10k- I won!, 7/27/14- Wharf to Wharf (6 miles)- I won!
9/14/14- Title 9K- I won!
11/9/14- Surfer's Path 10K, 4/12/15- Santa Cruz Half Marathon

*My definition of win: I didn't quit, didn't throw up, and they didn't close the course on me.
GME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Wow, I don't even know where to start

Here it goes....JUST TODAY at the dog park a woman came up to me and went on and on about how she didn't recognize me blah, blah, blah because I've lost about 125 pounds. She, like everyone else, was asking the magical question of how I lost so much weight.....I don't even say the words "low carb" anymore! I just said, point blank "I just cut out all the crap" and stopped talking....frankly, and I don't want to sound like a be...atch, but I am constantly asked by people "how I did it" and when I tell them they almost seem disappointed that I hadn't found some magic elixir that they could go buy and lose THEIR 125 pounds...God forbid they would have to put effort into losing weight! Btw, she herself is "morbidly obese" and said she just went out and bought a dehydrator and is going to just be eating "a lot of fruit" to lose weight

If people where you live don't know what Low Carb is, don't tell them that. Just say you stopped eating all the junk that made you overweight and unhealthy.

Also, I keep a bag of Macadamia nuts in my purse. If I am ever caught by surprise I eat my mac nuts and I socialize during the meal and move on. If there is one thing I have learned during weight loss that FOR ME is incredibly important, it's.....don't be afraid of hunger. If I'm hungry, eventually I am going to eat...I am NOT going to starve to death.

As far as your friends not working with you on your request for a restaurant that was acceptable for you...either I would not have gone or I would have gone and just socialized.

If anything, I have never found anything as easy as a low carb diet which allows me go to practically any restaurant and eat food I love until I'm satisfied.

I never even bring my eating preferences up to people as I am pretty confident I will find something to eat anywhere we go. In todays times, frankly, it's not unusual to order a salad, burger with no bun, things without sugar etc. If you don't announce your program to people, I bet most won't even notice!

But get some snacks and keep them in your car, purse, desk etc. one must take control and responsibility if one wants success.

P.s In Dec. I had a total knee replacement and between the hospital stay and the rehab center I was completely on plan for 3 weeks away from home and confined. It took persistence and planning.......good luck!

Last edited by marieze; 02-26-2013 at 08:18 PM..
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:15 PM   #35
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
I TOTALLY agree that social situations can be difficult... esp with catered food.

I have found that often there isnt enough food to go around for me to take 3-4 sandwiches to pick the 1 oz of meat out of each one.... so I just take one and basically end up with a small snack, not a lunch.

I've learned to either just have a small snack with what I can eat, or just NOT EAT.

Eg, if your friends invited me to their stupid prepackaged food cafeteria... I would go along and have a diet coke and chat. Then eat later. That way I could still hang out and enjoy their company. (although I do find it odd they wouldnt be more willing to accomodate you. I generally try to find a place that accomodates the vegans, kosher, whatever, among my friends)

Bagels only for breakfast - fine, I'll just have coffee with splenda.

I figure it helps to keep me thin. It does take some getting used to though, and learning to just "deal" with being hungry for a little while.

Last edited by Strawberry; 02-26-2013 at 09:22 PM..
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:52 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by biancasteeplechase View Post
"My cousin thought he had a wheat allergy, but it turned out he just needed to take more vitamins," or whatever. Lots of people thought they knew more about it than the guy who'd been living with it for forty years.
This is part of why I feel like a freak, because for years I didn't know what was wrong with me, instinctively I knew it was linked to my diet because sometimes I felt great after eating and sometimes I felt really ill. I went through all of the possible causes. I eventually figured out sugar was an issue. Because as soon as I cut that out my chronic health issues started disappearing, then cutting out processed foods. It wasn't until I cut carbs that things started to really improve. That is why people think I have an eating disorder, because I won't eat this and won't eat that etc. And one day its I'm not eating anything with sugar, now it is anything processed, now it is carbs. I did pick apart my food at my last conference, but I did it in private so people didn't notice this time. But people mentioned it when I did it last time. The other issue is that I have lost a lot of weight over the last 4 years. So now I'm basically a skinny person who has an eating disorder. No one seems to remember me when I was a very overweight child, and a frusterated yoyo dieter!
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #37
Always on, slightly off

Gallery: CindyCRNA
Stats: 152/132/121 Currently 120's lbs, 5'7" 52 years old
WOE: 35%/25%/45% (F,P,C 1850 calories/day)
Start Date: Raising carbs 1/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punkin View Post
This is part of why I feel like a freak, because for years I didn't know what was wrong with me, instinctively I knew it was linked to my diet because sometimes I felt great after eating and sometimes I felt really ill. I went through all of the possible causes. I eventually figured out sugar was an issue. Because as soon as I cut that out my chronic health issues started disappearing, then cutting out processed foods. It wasn't until I cut carbs that things started to really improve. That is why people think I have an eating disorder, because I won't eat this and won't eat that etc. And one day its I'm not eating anything with sugar, now it is anything processed, now it is carbs. I did pick apart my food at my last conference, but I did it in private so people didn't notice this time. But people mentioned it when I did it last time. The other issue is that I have lost a lot of weight over the last 4 years. So now I'm basically a skinny person who has an eating disorder. No one seems to remember me when I was a very overweight child, and a frusterated yoyo dieter!
I would think a good way to counter this is to bring a nice big plate of healthy foods and eat that in front of them. Roast chicken, mashed cauliflower, steamed broccoli, red bell pepper strips. Make them look at it and think, man, that looks good! I will bring a roast chicken burrito on a high fiber tortilla, an entire avocado sliced on it, homemade salsa and a smear of Fage yogurt on it. Most will comment , "You eat all of that!" or "That looks a lot better than this!". Dazzle them with your food!
CindyCRNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:55 AM   #38
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jem51
Stats: oh so happy at 120
WOE: Mine, all mine
Start Date: controlled carb '97-98
I am proud of the way I eat....and in better shape than most peop I know that are my age....or even younger.

If anyone has a negative comment I just tell them that this body is not by accident.
jem51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:04 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
I would have been so ticked off at my friends if they pulled that crap! They don't need to agree with your diet but they do need to be supportive of your decisions. I just find that very rude.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
One thing I try to do is NEVER go to an event hungry. I can't eat spicy foods and obiviously the LC plan. The only thing I can be sure of is what I take myself... some activities, I just bring my own meal or my own salad. Other times, I bring LC dish to share.
Pot luck is the most challenging as you just don't know. If I bring an acceptable LC dish, I'm not above holding back a container for myself.
When we eat out, we'll plan for me to get meat & salad... she'll order an appetizer (to be served with the meal) & eat my sides as she's not LC. But it works well enough, we both get enough to eat & comparable costs.

The company pizza confrence, you obiviously know where the food is coming from. I'd use the phone & call in my own order, at my own expense. If it's important to not eat what is offered, I'd gladly pay for my own meal. (A boss might jump in to offer to pay but I'd not expect it.)

"NO, I CAN'T EAT JUST ONE!" "Lead me not into carb temptation!"

Multiple Sclerosis Dx 2001 *a lot of meds* now SP * Able to stand & shuffle a few steps with support: does not = meaningful exercise. Harder to do by just WOE... but gotta stay ON it.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCRNA View Post
I would think a good way to counter this is to bring a nice big plate of healthy foods and eat that in front of them. Roast chicken, mashed cauliflower, steamed broccoli, red bell pepper strips. Make them look at it and think, man, that looks good! I will bring a roast chicken burrito on a high fiber tortilla, an entire avocado sliced on it, homemade salsa and a smear of Fage yogurt on it. Most will comment , "You eat all of that!" or "That looks a lot better than this!". Dazzle them with your food!
Funny thing you should mention this because my sister and I started LC eating at the same time, and all we did for the first two weeks is look up recipes because we had to make all our own food from scratch. It is such a better WOE because everything tastes so good. And it is so not that hard to do. I can't understand why the cafe mentality, the food is much more expensive and has been sitting there all day. I could have eaten a salad there, but they give you only a cup of lettuce which is usually brown by the time you get it and they never put anything like cheese or nuts on it. At least at a restaurant they won't serve you brown lettuce!
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #42
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: flatferenghi
i have a post doctoral degree on freakiness, Punkin!

so I am more than authorized to discuss the matter, logically. Yes, you are NOT the freak. NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT! I was at a seminar at the WTC 4 months before 9/11. Quite all the refreshments were high carb. I expected that, so I had a hearty low carb breakfast at a diner nearby. The only thing I consumed at the seminar was bottled water and black coffee. There was no cream or 1/2 & 1/2 (not the kind that comes from a cow, goat, sheep, or chicken). Punkin, you were right. Everyone else was wrong. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI
flatferenghi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:45 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Pretty sad when one must brown bag their own creamer!!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:14 AM   #44
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
Yes, you are NOT the freak. NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT!
Old 02-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #45
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Erin57
Stats: 220/150/145 5'9"
WOE: Moderate Carb/IF
Start Date: April 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatferenghi View Post
so I am more than authorized to discuss the matter, logically. Yes, you are NOT the freak. NOT THAT THERE IS ANYTHING WRONG WITH THAT! I was at a seminar at the WTC 4 months before 9/11. Quite all the refreshments were high carb. I expected that, so I had a hearty low carb breakfast at a diner nearby. The only thing I consumed at the seminar was bottled water and black coffee. There was no cream or 1/2 & 1/2 (not the kind that comes from a cow, goat, sheep, or chicken). Punkin, you were right. Everyone else was wrong. Love & Profits: FLATFERENGHI

Let your freak flag fly!!

Erin57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lc-chica
Stats: 164.4/152/140 5'5"
WOE: Judd
Start Date: 4-14-13
Were your friends on a time constraint? Just wondering why anyone would CHOOSE a cafeteria with pre-packaged foods over a menu restaurant? I wouldn't choose that, low carb or not. Were they in a super duper hurry?

Sorry you are dealing with this. Was it necessary for you to be a part of the work meals? It's great that you have told others your food needs and that your workmates try to help you out! For me, I don't really tell anyone what I eat/my "diet" because I really try hard to view it as a healthy eating lifestyle and not a diet. And I'm super personal about that stuff. So at my job, when food is ordered, I just politely decline or pretend I will try some later (if it will cause offense) and go out and take my lunch, and eat what I want or what I brought. I feel that I have the right to take some time for myself and go out for lunch... however I am allowed to do so... and not sure if you are able in those situations.

I used to worry that it made me look funny but I've learned not to care! And others do it now too lol. Sometimes it's nice to just get away and enjoy the fresh air!
lc-chica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:10 PM   #47

Gallery: suzanneyea
Stats: 156/124/120
WOE: Vlc
I was shy at first too. My husband actually had a harder time with my eating than me! I never make a big deal out of it. I always eat before I go and politely decline the meal served. No one has ever commented.
Now, if people come over. They will notice that my meal is different. They eat pasta and I have a steak or burgers. I explain that I do not like pasta, that is all.
suzanneyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dianda
Stats: 145/121/115; 5'3''
Start Date: November 2012
Eating out on LC for me has been so difficult I have started skipping social eating with my friends. When I do eat with them, I am ready and willing to "cheat". There's a simple reason too: we're all students without lots of money, and the cheapest things to eat out are pizza, sandwiches, panini etc. I'd never suggest we go to a restaurant (which is always pricier than a pizzeria) just to accomodate my needs. Sometimes (like once a month) we go to McDonald's and I do fine there, but in general there's no way I can say eating out LC is easy... not when you're twenty at least! LOL
dianda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:54 PM   #49
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jem51 View Post
...this body is not by accident.
I LOVE THIS!!
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: coffeelover
Stats: 237/just restarted/125 5'4"
Is it possible to just bs a little and say that you have medical issue that requires you to eat a certain way and ask in advance if you can be accomodated or if you can bring your own food? Perhaps that way it won't look like you are just being fussy and high-maintenance.
coffeelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #51
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: marieze
Stats: 376/199/180
WOE: My way low carb!
Start Date: July 11th 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeelover View Post
Is it possible to just bs a little and say that you have medical issue that requires you to eat a certain way and ask in advance if you can be accomodated or if you can bring your own food? Perhaps that way it won't look like you are just being fussy and high-maintenance.
I'm the one who is starting to feel like a freak......I eat out A LOT and NEVER tell my friends or anyone about my lc'ing, order what I want NEVER GOING OFF PLAN and No one EVER says anything

LC is VERY common these days and if you just don't say anything and order people won't even know. Personally, I think it's only a big deal if WE make it one.

If you choose not to share in something and people ask why...just say I don't feel like it.....don't make a big deal about it!

Someone who is diabetic doesn't go around they are diabetic, have celiac disease, chrons or anything else......they just get what's appropriate and call it a day
marieze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #52
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I'm with you.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:06 PM   #53
Always on, slightly off

Quote:
Originally Posted by marieze View Post
I'm the one who is starting to feel like a freak......I eat out A LOT and NEVER tell my friends or anyone about my lc'ing, order what I want NEVER GOING OFF PLAN and No one EVER says anything

LC is VERY common these days and if you just don't say anything and order people won't even know. Personally, I think it's only a big deal if WE make it one.

If you choose not to share in something and people ask why...just say I don't feel like it.....don't make a big deal about it!

Someone who is diabetic doesn't go around they are diabetic, have celiac disease, chrons or anything else......they just get what's appropriate and call it a day
Old 02-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #54
Senior LCF Member

When my wife & I eat out, we advise the server that we are going to pass things around. I get meat & a salad that I need & she takes sides, adds an appetizer (meat). There is no further discussion with our dinner companions or wait staff. One does not need to justify what you want, it's a service industry. The only discussion is billing as sometimes we ask for exchanges but the resturants are ussually flexible as the exchanges are less costly.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 PM   #55

Gallery: LoveMontana
Stats: 5'1" 155/ 100/112. Not bad for an old gal
Start Date: Dec.1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagman1776 View Post
When my wife & I eat out, we advise the server that we are going to pass things around. I get meat & a salad that I need & she takes sides, adds an appetizer (meat). There is no further discussion with our dinner companions or wait staff. One does not need to justify what you want, it's a service industry. The only discussion is billing as sometimes we ask for exchanges but the resturants are ussually flexible as the exchanges are less costly.
Great idea and it is a money saver too.
LoveMontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Pretty sad when one must brown bag their own creamer!!
There are two big refrigerators in the kitchen at my workplace, for staff to store food, and I am the only person out of 120 people working there who keeps real half and half and cream on hand to put in coffee and tea. People joke about putting the formeldehyde in their coffee when dumping in artificial creamer, but nobody else bothers to keep real cream or half and half on hand. I think eating low carb has made me much less tolerant of fake food like non-dairy creamer powder; it's sad how many people put up with lousy food on SAD.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #57
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: webcrystal
Stats: x11/x50/wonderland (restart 3/21/14 x95)
WOE: Low Carb
Eating out

Well I can sympathize I've had what I eat eyeballed for years even comments like "did you drink all that soda?!" (even if diet). Just can't win.
Really chaps my hide .. what the heck does it matter what I eat - I'm older so now I don't care what others think as I know even if I just ate a lettuce leaf half would be of the opinion that I scarfed half the buffet. After all I shouldn't eat anything and should suffer for having the gall to be so fat. (sigh).

As for the person who had people tell her that people felt "uncomfortable" at work because you picked apart the food - I'd cut to the chase and inform your supervisor about the issue and that in turn they've made you uncomfortable about a health issue and about them inventorying what/how you eat. It is inappropriate for other to make comments or force you to feel uncomfortable regarding health matters/issue. It is also a violation of your health privacy. I'm sure you don't want to start a war but your supervisor should be made aware so that if anything gets escalated that you have a position (which is stronger than theirs). And it is a health issue. I know it's hard to talk about it - it would be for me since it really sucks to have to even talk about weight/diet etc. with some people. Of course only you know if it's just sniping or someone really having a time at your behalf.

As for eating out I do all the time. I even eat at the Olive Garden. I skip the bread and ask them to sub veggies for pasta. At other places had veggies subbed for fries with a bunless burger or chicken patty. Most don't even blink an eye. Although I get an occasional "No bun?!!" like they'd never heard of such an idea lol. I even been known to order a sausage mcmuffin - no muffin because I want the sausage and cheese and that's the cheapest way to order it. Gave them a pause for a minute lol I can even hear the wheels turn for a minute and then the click .

As for the buffet place with the prepackaged food.. I personally really hate buffet food - most is substandard tasting food anyway and why waste good money for cr*ppy food. lol. and I'd probably tell them that rather than go into you can't get something appropriate to eat. (although almost everyone I know is aware that I eat low carb, wheat is evil, blah blah blah - I'm on my soap box often (I tell them those who can do and those that can't teach (since I'm still heavy at this point) )

Also many pizza places have wings now - pizza hut has unbreaded wings (no sauce) works in a pinch - not sure which place they get their pizza from. Before LCing I always hated when they ordered pizza because I can easily eat more than two piece's always made me grumpy .. like others say carry something to supplement what you can have.

And most importantly - don't feel like you need to apologize for what you want to eat ultimately it's really NONE of their business.

webcrystal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tymom
Stats: Big/ not so big/ small
Start Date: August (this time around)
i deal with catered food and work related meals all the time. Like about every day. I never once have had anyone comment in a negative way about how my plate looks. Sandwiches? I dump the bread before I even sit down. Chinese? Tricky because of the sauces, but there are always veggies and chicken somewhere to pick out of the noodles and rice. Pizza? Scrape the top and dump the crust. Better yet, i keep a bag of almonds in my bag and make sure i am not very hungry in the first place.

I really think that people care less about what we eat, but we are sensitive to how they may think, and are more self conscious than we need to be.

Best of luck. It gets easier the longer and more practiced you get. And, look around, you will see other plates that look pretty much like yours!

Tymom (Ty's Mom)
tymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:15 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
Quote:
I hate to make waves... but it I was confronted with a monthly pizza party, I'd ask to order something for myself, at my own expense. I'd probably order a chef's salad or something. It's a matter of self preservation.

A whole office full of dieters and only token salads? Who does the ordering?
The ordering is done by management. Many months ago I requested that maybe we could occasionally have something other than pizza. They happily put it to a vote - and pizza won by a landslide.

I have asked about purchasing my own lunch salad from the same place. Management is uncomfortable with that, because the money for lunch comes out of our 'kindness fund' which we all contribute to monthly. The money is used to buy birthday, sympathy, get well and going away cards, to pay for going away gifts or flowers, cakes for birthdays and to fund these monthly lunches. I was told that if I order something different than everyone else (even if I pay for it separately) it might look like special treatment or it could lead to a rash of 'special orders' which will make the whole thing difficult to plan, order and pay for. I was, however, invited to bring my own lunch to the meeting if I felt that it would be easier for me. Kind of irked me, I'm expected to contribute to the fund to pay for pizza that I don't eat and a cake for my birthday, which I also won't eat (of course, the cake is for everyone who has a birthday that month - so I can't say much about that) but individual requests aren't taken into account.

As for the 'dieters' I had that in quotes because they are the type of people who diet by eating yogurt and fruit for lunch - but then go to the vending machine every afternoon for a Coke and a Snickers. They also only eat white pizza - because the pepperoni is so fattening, but they load their salads with fat free rasberry vinaigrette that is loaded with sugar.

My point wasn't to go on and on about how rough I have it - I really don't let it bother me too much. My point was to let the OP know that they weren't alone in sometimes feeling like a freak. It's not that about being unable to find something to eat, or being unhappy with the food choices. When you are eating differently than everyone else - it can make you feel different - especially if other people stare, comment or go out of their way to point out those differences.
4th mini goal - 275 lbs
5th mini goal - weighing less than my husband

Last edited by Britt1975; 02-28-2013 at 07:44 AM..
Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #60
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: shelby'snana
Stats: 173.5/ ? / 127 5'2"
WOE: low carb
Start Date: LC 7/28/2011
I don't have this too much at work, but they do occasionally make comments. My Manager ( who is also a friend ) "diets" every week for about 8 hours ! haha ! The other day I was seated at the computer and she was standing behind me talking to another nurse about how they need to restart next week and what they were going to eat....... and then she said " I'm NOT going back to LC or NC cause you just lose all this weight and then gain it right back !" She said it loudly where I could be sure to hear her. This was very unlike her, she always tells me how good I look, how she wished she had will power, etc...... never unkind. But that kinda irked me..... But I said NOTHING. The proof is in the pudding guys . (smiles to self )

Laura's Low Carb Life Continues......

ATTITUDE is the difference between an ordeal and an ADVENTURE !!

'If you're tired of starting over, then QUIT stopping !"
shelby'snana is offline   Reply With Quote