Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Established

Gallery: mom23kids
Stats: Maintenance
WOE: JUDDD for WL/5:2 IF for maintenance
Need input from the guys! How many carbs do you eat?

My husband wants to lose his growing gut, but needs something very simple (he's never dieted before and is feeling very overwhelmed right now). I've had great success with juddd but i think that would be to restrictive for him. I've also noticed when he eats a lot of carbs he really bloats out, so he may be sensitive to them. Starting out just cutting back on carbs will probably be best, as well as switching to diet soda and red bull (baby steps here lol). If you're a guy or your dh does lc, how many carbs do you eat a day? He's going to weigh himself tomorrow morning but he's probably in the 190 range and carries allhis extra weight in his stomach ( a beer gut without the beer!)
Thanks!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 04:43 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Hi Sara!

My husband eats about 15 carbs a day, all from eggs and veggies. He initially tried to just "cut back" but that didn't do much for him. If anything he GAINED weight, because he wasn't eating few enough carbs to be in ketosis and was eating the high-fat meals I was preparing.

Maybe Primal or Paleo would appeal to him? My DH loves it.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I found Atkins to be nearly cave man... Steak, meat, fat? What's not to like? I stuck to salads last time but this time I'm going to look up more veggie swaps. If he's not carb challenged, he might be able to lose by just cutting the starches.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:36 PM   #4
Established

thanks for the input!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
I eat around 30g total carbs or less a day. It is much easier to do if you are wheat-free though.

Does he like to read? Get him Why We Get Fat by Taubes and Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis. He'll go a long way on his own with those two books.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

And be sure he knows that low carb is not necessarily low cal. He doesn't need to starve himself.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jrw85705
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddarin View Post
I eat around 30g total carbs or less a day. It is much easier to do if you are wheat-free though.

Does he like to read? Get him Why We Get Fat by Taubes and Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis. He'll go a long way on his own with those two books.
I agree about those two books. They tell in plain terms what carbs do to us. I eat between 20 and 30 grams a day but could not do it if I had not remove wheat completely from my diet.
Jrw85705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:19 PM   #8
Established

Quote:

He doesn't read, except for work stuff (drives me nuts because I'm a total book nerd ). I've read both books though and can pass the info on. He has watched Fat Head though!
Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
I'm currently in the 75-100 range from tubers/squash/fruit BUT zero wheat and sugar.
When I review my weigh-ins over the past year, my progress corresponds with wheat and sugar but not with total carb. "powders and syrups kill" is my motto.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
Established

Quote:
And be sure he knows that low carb is not necessarily low cal. He doesn't need to starve himself.
He honestly has no concept of calories, carbs etc. He's a meat and potatoes kind of guy, but eats a lot of fast food for work lunches, so he's getting in gobs of hamburger buns, pizza and fries-on top of regular soda/red bull. He has started drinking some diet soda but he needs to switch totally over and also start drinking water (which he drinks almost none of right now ). When he had a physical job it didn't matter that he ate crappy. But he now works mostly at a desk and in the past year he's really put on the pounds. His cholesterol numbers are bad too. Up to now he hasn't been willing to make changes, but he saw a video of himself without a shirt on this past weekend and that did the trick, he was like, 'do I really look like that?!'
Old 02-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Would it be awkward for you to read the book to him? Maybe a cozy setting sort of thing? He can do most fast food if he doesn't eat the starchy stuff, breaded stuff and buns. The grocery store deli can be a good lunch with (unprocessed) lunch meat and fatty cheese. I do that sometimes, just eat cheese rolled up with a sliced meat.

He will have to change his ways on the pure water issue if he goes low carb. He may resist that but after leaping out of bed a few times with agonizing cramps he'll be amenable to it. But that won't kick in until his carbs are somewhere around or under 50ish grams total I think.

I'd have a still of that video handy to flash at various times when he seems to be slacking off. I was always motivated by shirtless views of myself.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:06 PM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
I'm not a guy, but I bet if he just went wheat free and drank diet sodas or water he'd lose his gut in no time.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Taxbane
Stats: LBS:215/171/160- - -BF%: 35+/20/11
WOE: 1650 kcals (55 NC/160P/88F) Str Train x2 Wk.
Start Date: December 2010
I would suggest the Protein Power plan by Dr. Eades. Basically, 20 to 30 net carbs (subtract fiber and erythritol) per day, and no more than 12 net carbs withing a 2 hour window.

That should put him in ketosis within about a week or so, allowing him to switch to a fat burning metabolism, while at the same time minimizing and stabilizing his insulin spikes which causes fat accumulation in the first place.

In regards to sodas, I would reccomend switching to Zevia sodas. Most of the diet sodas are laced with nasty artificial sweetners which could cause other issues. That said, other zero carb beverages (sweetenable with something like stevia) that I drink are, iced tea, coffe, and kool-aid.

If he is not willing to to commit to such above, then IMO I would at least hope all sugars and grains could be cut out (no pasta, bread, potato, corn, beans, cereal, fruit (cept strawberries and rasberries), milk. If he can limit his foods to just all he can eat meats, green veggies, tomatoes, and cheeses, then he would essentially be low carb without having to count anything...
Exercise: Tai Chi 2x, Kung Fu 2x, Strength Train x2, P/Wk.
Taxbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:41 AM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jakelilydad
WOE: low carbs
Start Date: Feb 2012
I agree that if he cuts out grains, starchy veggies, and sugar, he will probably find that the weight will come off. Grains can be tough (breads, pasta, rice), but it is doable, especially if he packs his lunch for a while until he is comfortable that he can order sensibly at a restaurant. I started eating LC when diagnosed as diabetic, and was delighted to find that it not only controlled by blood sugars, but that I was losing a lot of weight, too. And if he is a real meat and potatoes guy, never underestimate the appeal of mashed cauliflower with heavy cream and butter (and don't forget to add a touch of salt), or with some grated cheese if you want to really make him happy.
Jakelilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:18 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
I try to keep my carbs under 20g but its difficult because I eat LC veggies, eggs, hard cheese, some nuts and heavy cream. Even though the carbs are low in these foods they can still add up. Some people start VLC but then after the induction period they can move up quite comfortably. Some like myself, have to stay lower for a lot longer. The nice thing about LC is you get to eat fat. Fat + meat+LC veggies. Is a wonderful WOE.
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #16
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Since he's a meat and potatoes guy, I'd try some substitute products.

My husband lost 35 lbs on LC.
He kept a jar of whey protein powder in his work locker.
I packed him veggie strips with tuna salad for a dipping snack.
LC wraps instead of bread for a meat and cheese sandwich w/lettuce for lunch, and sometimes he'd take a chef salad with a packet of dressing.
Pureed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes.
Pepperoni fried in a dry skillet, and microwaved cheese crackers for a crunchy snack.
He really liked cucumbers in vinegar, and pickles. Both are great packed lunch additions.
I made LC pizza a lot and he liked taking the leftovers for lunches.
Some of the recipes from Linda Sue's site were good for him. His favorite was
JUST LIKE STUFFED BAKED POTATOES - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
made with half broccoli half cauliflower. I added extra veggies so it wasn't as gloppy.
And he was always happy with a couple of baked chicken thighs with crispy skin.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:05 AM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: KCSoccer
Stats: maintenance
Start Date: August 2010
My DH decided to eat like I do so I wouldn't have to prepare 2 meals. He didn't really lose much weight until he dropped his Diet Coke habit and switched to unsweetened iced tea. He lost 35 lbs. rapidly and is now back to his college-days weight. I make his lunch for work each day (usually dinner leftovers), but we've been doing this WOE for long enough now that he knows how to order when eating out. We both are in maintenance-mode, so an occasional cheat isn't out of the question. But he really does well sticking to LC! Grilled meat and a salad are his favorite meals.
KCSoccer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 05:33 AM   #18
Established

Thanks so much for the input! I'm going to buy him a reusable water bottle today. Even if he substituted water for two cans of soda a day, he'd be doing so much better! I'll show him this thread tonight