Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Ricola Swiss Cherry Sugar Free Cough Drops (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797897-ricola-swiss-cherry-sugar-free-cough-drops.html)

junip3r 02-25-2013 04:04 PM

Ricola Swiss Cherry Sugar Free Cough Drops

I have been really sick, and after someone else had posted about "what they can take" when they are sick... I remembered someone saying Ricola had a sugar free cough drop that worked well. So yesterday I picked some up.

I had a couple last night and didn't notice anything significant. However, today I've probably had at least 5 (throat is really scratchy-and I'm on the phone all day).

Boy-o-BOY! Is my tummy doing back flips now! I can't say with 100% certainty that it's the drops...but its the only thing I have done different!

There is not a nutritional label on them...so it occurs to me I don't know if they have carbs, or sugar alcohols. I'm pretty sure sugar alcohols have this effect on me from past experience.

Do you guys know what's in these things? Could they be causing the earth shattering tummy rumbling that is going on here? :o

I'm also hoping that after a 5lb loss last week... I have messed things up by using them today. :confused:

svenskamae 02-25-2013 04:21 PM

Sounds like sugar alcohols to me (probably malitol). I don't think you'll gain any weight from the cough drops, because if they are upsetting your stomach, your body isn't processing the carbs in them. But it's too bad that they are making you feel sick to your stomach, on top of your sore throat. :console: Maybe focus on gargling with salt water instead of using the cough drops.

Ntombi 02-25-2013 04:22 PM

Almost certainly maltitol; every single SF cough drop I've seen uses it. I have to be careful with SF cough drops, I only take the serving size, or I have trouble.

How can there not be a nutrition label? That's against the law.

junip3r 02-25-2013 04:35 PM

It does show the ingredients as: aspartame, citric acid, extract of a Ricola herb mixture , isomalt, natural cherry concentrate, natural color, natural flavors.

I'm not nauseous...my tummy is just rumbling and I'm pretty sure my gas would wake the dead! :eek:

I remember from years ago when I did this diet I got hooked on SF candy and Low Carb Ice Cream. Those little SF Peanut Butter Cups would give me the same issues. Had to cut it all out...

JustMe2 02-25-2013 05:45 PM

I think I responded to your earlier post about the sugar free cough drops and cough syrup...however I use Halls and Robitussin.

OOOPPSSS!! We forgot to mention the tummy rumblings from the sugar alcohols! I had those too, but it was easier to deal with those than the constant coughing (I'm on the phone a lot at work also).

Hope you're feeling better at least!

lterry913 02-25-2013 06:20 PM

The sugar free cough drops do this to me also. I don't know why as aspartame doesn't usually have that effect on me...i react to them a's if they were made with malitol. Seems odd.

Mistizoom 02-25-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by junip3r (Post 16280336)
It does show the ingredients as: aspartame, citric acid, extract of a Ricola herb mixture , isomalt, natural cherry concentrate, natural color, natural flavors.

I'm not nauseous...my tummy is just rumbling and I'm pretty sure my gas would wake the dead! :eek:

I remember from years ago when I did this diet I got hooked on SF candy and Low Carb Ice Cream. Those little SF Peanut Butter Cups would give me the same issues. Had to cut it all out...

It's probably the isomalt, I think that can affect people similarly to other sugar alcohols.

Arctic_Mama 02-25-2013 09:28 PM

If you're highly sensitive to artificial sweeteners they might have done it, but I've taken dozens of ricolas with no ill effects to my guts, even when sugar free candies have done.

LoriWants2Lose 02-25-2013 11:03 PM

The result of too much sugar alcohol. Make a cup of herbal tea instead. The warmth will soothe your throat. You can sweeten with your artificial sweetener of choice or not.

adiasmc1 02-26-2013 08:52 PM

It's the isomalt...just like malitol if you are sensitive.