LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: SchoolPsych1979
Stats: 255/244/145
WOE: ALMOST NO CARBS, with artificial sweeteners
Start Date: 03/25/2013
Two un-related topics:Shakeology & WOE

First one, I am interested in drinking Shakeology, which is a meal replacement that has a whole bunch of nutrients. Like greens, all of your vitamins/minerals, etc. One serving, 160 cal, 17 carbs (14 net). I've heard from people they only do half serving bc it goes a long way, so it would be 7 net servings for me. What do you think about it being on Atkins? I've tried in the past and I must say, it's delish. However, it has fructose. and I think another sweetener. But had so much nutrients. Let me know what you think. I am not a morning eater and am hooked on starbucks/coffee bean. Trying to find an alternative.

Also, I know with being on a low carb diet, not eating carbs or sweets is really a way of life. How did you get into that mind frame of "accepting" that this will be your way of life and that this is how you must eat in order to be slim? Right now I am having a hard time accepting that I can't eat this or that. Esp. when mainstream media, family, friends can eat whatever they want. I am having a real hard time with this. Logically I know it doesn't make sense, but I can't get past it. It's as if I am like a kid when it comes to this. I have a masters degree and everything and I know in my adult mind that I should be thinkiing differently but I can't get over that. I think that mind-set is what is making it difficult for me to stick to this WOE. IF anyone can give me a perspective, i'd appreciate it. I am going nuts. LOL

Thanks, and hope everyone is well!

Last edited by SchoolPsych1979; 02-25-2013 at 03:55 PM..
SchoolPsych1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
A friend of mine was trying to get me to buy it from his wife several months ago. But I didn't want a version with 'all natural' sweeteners. She checked with her sponsor (I guess) and they said they have no plans on making a sugarless version.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
The less I eat sweets and carbs, the less I want to eat sweets and carbs. I can compare it to giving up cigarettes; at first, I craved cigarettes badly, but now I never think about wanting to have a cigarette.

You may think that mainstream media, family, and friends can eat whatever they want, but many people are paying a price for eating sweets and carbs. Two thirds of the adult population of the U.S. is overweight or obese, according to reliable survey data; many of those people may be eating whatever they want, but many of them are paying a price in terms of weight gain, celiac disease (read "Wheat Belly"), diabetes, etc. Perhaps you know some people who seem to be able to eat loads of carbs and sweets and never gain weight. Well, they are lucky; those of us here were dealt a different metabolism and need respond appropriately in terms of the body and biochemistry we have. And the skinny actresses and models that you see eating "whatever they want" in ads and movies--believe me, they are eating lowcarb and lowcalorie when the camera isn't running.

Eating low carb doesn't necessarily mean that you will never, ever, for the rest of your life eat a particular food that you love. It does mean that you will rarely eat some kinds of foods. After losing around 50 pounds, I let myself eat a piece of rich chocolate cake at a birthday dinner. It was delicious, but I'm fine with eating something like that once a year or a few times a year, and not regularly.

If you can't accept giving up some kinds of foods for the most part, consider trying JUDDD, which is all about calorie cycling but indifferent to the kinds of food that you eat. I try to eat a healthy low carb diet on JUDDD, but some people allow themselves to eat sweets or other treats on their "up" days, so long as they stay within their calorie limits.

I personally don't find "drinking" my calories very satisfying, so I'm not drawn to shakes. I'd rather eat a big stirfry or salad of vegetables than a shake, and I strongly encourage you to avoid anything with added sugar/fructose. Drinking shakes with fructose will just make you crave sweets more, rather than just not caring about them.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: mainemom
Stats: 147/129/115 5' 1"
WOE: LC; Intermittent Fasting; Wheat Free
Start Date: January 2011
Never tried the Shakeology, but if it helps you to get nutrients AND stay on track, without triggering additional cravings for sweets/carby foods, try it, but balanced with real food.

As for the mind set: I got sick of being fat. There's a signature several people on this board have, "being fat is hard. low carb is hard. pick your hard," or something to that effect. I chose the "hard" of low carb since it reaps many benefits. Being fat reaped none. You also need to replace the "I can't have" mindset with the "look at all the delicious things I CAN have," mindset (I mean, really, butter, steak, cream -yum!) Plus the non-food benefits - smaller, nicer looking clothing, fitting more easily into chairs/seats, more energy, etc. It IS NOT EASY. If it was, wouldn't everyone be thin? Maybe you can tell yourself, "I'll give it my all for one month," or some set period of time (IMO, at least a month to start detoxing from carbs and re-tooling your body's fuel system). It's up to you. And if you give it a good honest try, and it's not for you, you can honestly tell yourself, "not for me," and find what does work. Good luck!
"...had we been discussing disorders of growth - why some people grow to be more than seven feet tall and others never make it to four feet - the only subject of discussion would be the hormones and enzymes that regulate growth. And yet, when we're discussing a disorder in which the defining symptom is the abnormal growth of our fat tissue, the hormones and enzymes that regulate that growth are considered irrelevant."
- Gary Taubes, Why We Get Fat
mainemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Casey
Stats: At goal / living low carb
WOE: LC / lean for life
Start Date: October, 1999
I focus on what I CAN eat rather than what I can't. I feel so good eating low carb / clean and sugar now leaves me with a hangover feeling. I used to enjoy wine and now my body doesn't process it well anymore. If you are feeling deprived you won't stick with low carb. You have to do whatever you can make a lifestyle. If you consider it a diet and plan to go back to eating carbs you will most likely gain back any weight you've lost.
Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:25 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Thank you everyone!
Old 02-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1sweettea1
Stats: 267/156/130
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: January 2013 after roux en y surgery Jan 2012
WOW! One of the BEST group of responses I've ever seen on any WL board! SP, print this post out and refer to it every day.

Go Fight Win!!!
1sweettea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I have a hard time eating anything high in carbs early in the day (and that shake would be high for me), because it sets of a hunger cycle for the whole day. If I eat something with lots of fat and some protein, I'm set for 6 or more hours, don't even have to think about food. If I eat something with even non-starchy veggie carbs, or worse, I'll start feeling hungry, with stomach growling and all, within 3-4 hours, and it'll be that way throughout the day.

I'm not an early breakfast eater either, but I'll have a cup of tea or coffee with HWC and/or coconut oil within an hour of waking up, and then eat my "breakfast" in another couple of hours. Maybe that could work for you?

When I was working, I would get up, have tea, go to work, and eat breakfast there. The guys working the deli in my office building would start my omelet when they saw me walking in the door. Then I would eat a late--kind of light--lunch. That routine, followed by a dinner either in or out, helped me lose a lot of weight.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Adoug4ho
Stats: 222/198/175?
Start Date: October 29, 2012; restart 1/14/13 (carb creep!)
I've been drinking the chocolate one once a day for the past week. I'm pretty obsessed with it now because it's so good! I haven't noticed any bad carb triggers (which is shocking because someone in Guam opens an Oreo and I need one STAT!). I do mix mine with natural peanut butter, so maybe that helps with the insulin release. I also find that it keeps me very full. I don't use a full scoop, mainly b/c I'm cheap and it's like powdered gold. I am down 3 lbs this week so I'm sticking with it for now. I mix mine with ice, unsweetened coco almond milk and of course the pb! Sometimes in the am I use the PB2 and add coco oil, but I prefer the real pb
Adoug4ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoug4ho View Post
I've been drinking the chocolate one once a day for the past week. I'm pretty obsessed with it now because it's so good! I haven't noticed any bad carb triggers (which is shocking because someone in Guam opens an Oreo and I need one STAT!). I do mix mine with natural peanut butter, so maybe that helps with the insulin release. I also find that it keeps me very full. I don't use a full scoop, mainly b/c I'm cheap and it's like powdered gold. I am down 3 lbs this week so I'm sticking with it for now. I mix mine with ice, unsweetened coco almond milk and of course the pb! Sometimes in the am I use the PB2 and add coco oil, but I prefer the real pb
Nice! Thanks for that!
Old 02-26-2013, 12:33 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
For me, it helped to experiment ALOT with recipes in the beginning. I had to find replacements and alternatives to things I liked. Once I developed a repetoire of things I liked, and had figured out how to order at restaurants... it became easier.

I do allow myself to enjoy Thanksgivng, Christmas, any really special occasion, and not worry about staying lowcarb.

You dont have to be quite as strict in Maintenance as you do when trying to lose weight. If nothing else, you can have more calories... and most people find they can eat at somewhat higher carb levels, and include things like fruit, yogurt, occasional beans, etc. Its not all strict eggs, meat, salad!
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
For me, it helped to experiment ALOT with recipes in the beginning. I had to find replacements and alternatives to things I liked. Once I developed a repetoire of things I liked, and had figured out how to order at restaurants... it became easier.

I do allow myself to enjoy Thanksgivng, Christmas, any really special occasion, and not worry about staying lowcarb.

You dont have to be quite as strict in Maintenance as you do when trying to lose weight. If nothing else, you can have more calories... and most people find they can eat at somewhat higher carb levels, and include things like fruit, yogurt, occasional beans, etc. Its not all strict eggs, meat, salad!
Thanks for putting that in perspective!
Old 02-26-2013, 01:27 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: thealything
Stats: 238/196/138 5'7"
WOE: Atkins (DANDR)
Start Date: restart March '12
this is probably kind of bad, but I have to focus on the negative. I do notice that the less carbs/sweet stuff I eat, the less I want. The trick is to get myself eating less so I can reap the benefits. I have to start visualizing all the physical and mental unpleasantness -- the bloating, the upset stomach and gas, the intensified cravings, the mood swings and blood sugar crashes -- and then it helps make me not want to eat those things for a while.
thealything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/208/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I'm not opposed to shakes as meal replacements, I usually have one for breakfast almost every day (Atkins Advantage or Premier Protein), however I would not personally use the Shakeology based on what you've said about the carb count and sugar.

As for mind frame, it took me a long, long time to get in this mind frame, that I know I will be eating this way for life, and I am actively choosing to do so. It is completely different this time for me than any other time in the past that I've tried to lose weight. Essentially it took DH being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes to make me realize that it is about health, not about how I look. I do want to lose weight, but ultimately it is health that matters for me.
Mistizoom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /218.5/150 goal 5'9", 44 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Well, it's pretty simple, really:

I first started eating LC to deal with some health-issues: Hypoglycemia and IBS.

Once you've lived with these things, and then lived WITHOUT them, there's really no choice: You eat this way because anything else makes you feel SICK!

Oh, and the weight fell off.

People are going to laugh, because I say this a lot... but whenever I'm feeling really "deprived" at not getting to eat some high-carb food (like this weekend, after both passing up popcorn at the movies AND sitting buy while my hubby and kids had "marble-slab" ice cream at a place that makes their OWN ice cream), I make http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...ion-label.html. It's really easy, and it's pretty much impossible to feel "deprived" while eating it! Gets over the PPM (Pity Poor Me) feelings pretty fast!

I've also learned to make delicious substitutes for a lot of foods -- like mashed potatoes, crackers, and bread-y "sweets". (Quotes, there, because I'm finding ways to get rid of almost all sweeteners -- and the only one I allow myself at all is stevia. I'll use a TOUCh of stevia, and the spice-combination to make it "taste like" a cookie or whatever.)

This is a lot like becoming vegetarian: There are just certain foods you no longer eat. Over time, you either stop missing them (most of them!) or find ways to substitute them. You also find a wonderful variety of foods you'd never tried before -- which is one of the things this site is great for!
Old 02-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #16
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Okay, I know I said it above, but I thought I'd relay today's experience, in case it helps.

I had to get up at the buttcrack of dawn--actually well before dawn--to take my mother to have an eye surgery. Way too early to do anything but chug an Atkins shake with a couple of tbs of heavy cream for the added fat and calories as I went to walk my dog and get my Mom to the center in time.

I drank the shake at 5:30. By 7:30, I was shaking, clammy, nauseated, in pain, and lightheaded. It took about 45 minutes to pass, by which time I was starving. Not like, oh, hey, eating would be good about now, but like, OMG, if I don't eat soon, I'm going to die! That was only three hours after the shake. I NEVER feel like that when I've eaten real food, and of course, I don't even feel hungry at all until about six hours after a good LC meal.

Now, I usually don't get the pain and lightheadedness (still don't know what that was), but that overwhelming hunger is typical within a few hours after a shake. And even now, after I ate a good unprocessed lunch, I feel less satisfied than I normally would.

That said, I still keep the shakes in the house and car for emergencies. But that means really rarely will I partake, maybe once every couple of months. They just don't work we'll enough for me, even with added fat, to be a viable part of my plan.

It they work better for you, great.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:37 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Adoug4ho
Stats: 222/198/175?
Start Date: October 29, 2012; restart 1/14/13 (carb creep!)
Schoolpsych, the most important part that I forgot to type was that even with Shakeology I still stay in ketosis!
Adoug4ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:04 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoug4ho View Post
Schoolpsych, the most important part that I forgot to type was that even with Shakeology I still stay in ketosis!
That's interesting because shakeology has fructose in it! I'm really debating if I should buy it because it's so crazy expensive. I did drink it before and loved the taste. I'm planning on splitting the dosage so it would be admit about 7 carbs a day. Not bad
Old 02-27-2013, 03:26 PM   #19
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: kayellr
Stats: 5'5" 195/171/135
WOE: LCHF/Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: 1/29/2013
Ooooooh! Yummy.

Magic food, made from expensive, exotic ingredients raised in distant lands. It must be better than spinach or broccoli or beef because I can't pronounce it, it has a really great looking website, and it's expensive. Therefore, the pounds will take a look at that AWESOME label of 70 ingredients all in one glass, and just melt away in fear!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the sarcasm, but these products totally tick me off. They aren't real food. You find the real food in your grocers or farmers market. It's around the edges in the produce, meat, fish, egg and dairy sections. It often does not even have an ingredient label. Real food rarely if ever appears in a powder form. It's readily identifiable, just by looking at it. You can tell if it's fresh with a quick examination, or possibly a sniff.

Real food is what your body is adapted to eat. Dehydrating and grinding up stuff and sticking it in a container with a mile long label does not ever make it good for you. Eat the real food.
kayellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

One of the sole reasons why I am drawn to this shake is because it has superfoods and lots of greens, nutrients, chromium, Bvitamins, etc. Right now I am hooked on starbucks and have been for 10 years. I have that as my breakfast so i do not eat breakfast at all. never have, and probably never will. Since I'm trying to change my lifestyle, I will make changes that i can actually make and eating breakfast is not one of them. So i actually don't mind drinking my food But thanks for your opinion!
Old 02-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: cchavez
I have an atkins caramel latte shake w/ heavy cream for bfast almost everyday. It keeps me satisfied for 3-5 hours and that is also after an intense workout. I also eat coconut oil every morning. HTH
cchavez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:29 AM   #22
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchoolPsych1979 View Post
One of the sole reasons why I am drawn to this shake is because it has superfoods and lots of greens, nutrients, chromium, Bvitamins, etc. Right now I am hooked on starbucks and have been for 10 years. I have that as my breakfast so i do not eat breakfast at all. never have, and probably never will. Since I'm trying to change my lifestyle, I will make changes that i can actually make and eating breakfast is not one of them. So i actually don't mind drinking my food But thanks for your opinion!
Can't you find a shake that is sweetened with something besides sugar and is lower carb to do this...or just find a low carb shake mix you like and add the the supplements in way of pill form...I have a low carb shake every morning with my supplements. The healthy stuff in the shake is in freeze dried or powder form any way...it's not like you are adding it in fresh.

My opinion is find a sugar free shake you like and supplement it...like I said just my opinion, as I am a sugar addict and would be finding a reason to have that shake more often than I should due to the sugar in it.

I make a chocolate whey shake that is sweetened with stevia (About Time Whey)...and add ice, almond milk and instant coffee...soo good...and then I take my supplements with it.

Btw, nothing wrong with starbucks for breakie...just make sure it is sugar free and use heavy cream...I get an americano with sf syrup and add some heavy cream a few times a week. yum

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back

Last edited by lterry913; 02-28-2013 at 09:32 AM..
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 PM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Randy
Stats: 277/247/187
This may not apply here, but I just watched several Nutribullet posts on YouTube. Some great ideas for doing these for breakfast and taking less than 5 minutes to prepare. Just a suggestion.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:46 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayellr View Post
Ooooooh! Yummy.

Magic food, made from expensive, exotic ingredients raised in distant lands. It must be better than spinach or broccoli or beef because I can't pronounce it, it has a really great looking website, and it's expensive. Therefore, the pounds will take a look at that AWESOME label of 70 ingredients all in one glass, and just melt away in fear!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for the sarcasm, but these products totally tick me off. They aren't real food. You find the real food in your grocers or farmers market. It's around the edges in the produce, meat, fish, egg and dairy sections. It often does not even have an ingredient label. Real food rarely if ever appears in a powder form. It's readily identifiable, just by looking at it. You can tell if it's fresh with a quick examination, or possibly a sniff.

Real food is what your body is adapted to eat. Dehydrating and grinding up stuff and sticking it in a container with a mile long label does not ever make it good for you. Eat the real food.
Couldn't have said it any better without getting another one of my post or threads deleted!
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote