Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
The plant is not a naturally oily food that can yield oil by cold pressing (like olives or avocados yield oil through cold pressing). It has to be heated to high temperatures to expel the oil, which can lead to rancidity and free radicals.
Definitely correct about canola oil that is heated to high temps leading to free radicals. But my understanding is that the expellier pressed, cold pressed canola oil is oK because it avoids that process. ??

Does Sally Fallon or Mary Enig mention anything about the type of canola oil? Because I think it does have a lot of omega 3's, if you get the correctly processed kind.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2013, 04:02 AM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 148
Start Date: Jan 2001
I like the Goddess Dressing, Tahini Sauce, High Protein Tofu, champagne Vinagriette Dressing.
MaryMary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:28 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberry View Post
Definitely correct about canola oil that is heated to high temps leading to free radicals. But my understanding is that the expellier pressed, cold pressed canola oil is oK because it avoids that process. ??

Does Sally Fallon or Mary Enig mention anything about the type of canola oil? Because I think it does have a lot of omega 3's, if you get the correctly processed kind.
I'm looking in the index for "Eat Fat, Lose Fat" by Mary Enig and Sally Fallon. Here are the references to canola oil:

p. 10. "Because they can be made so cheaply and because their inclusion helps packaged foods to last nearly forever, the food industry prefers to use trans fats made from cheap soy, canola, corn, or cottonseed oil ..."

p. 12 "government and medical authorities ... still subscribe to the false notion that saturated fats are bad, so the most prominent fats in the new food guidelines will be liquid vegetable oils, including soy, canola, and safflower, in spite of considerable evidence that a diet including only liquid fats can lead to serious health problems, including heart disease and cancer."

Sally Fallon has a Youtube video (I think it's called "The Oiling of America") in which she talks about another danger of polyunsaturated fats such as canola oil. The structure of the many (poly) unsaturated molecules strung together is less stable than saturated or monosaturated fats, so that they release free radicals--tied to aging and cancer risk--more easily when heated than do saturated or mono saturated fats. That's another reason that I avoid canola oil.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:03 AM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
I wish I had one near me! The closest is a 50-minute drive. We only make it out there every few months but I stock up on grass-fed butter, olive oil, coconut oil, Goddess salad dressing, and the frozen parmesan-garlic potatoes (for my kids.)
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Cold pressed canola is a tough question. I wouldn't call it a first choice, but the omega 6 load (~2g/tbsp) is much lower than soybean (~7g/tbsp) and once in a while I'll find myself somewhere like a Whole Foods deli bar where it's used and I don't sweat it.

I agree some of the TJ's condiments that use it are seriously tasty--if I buy these I'll focus on small portions and also think about how to make it homemade. Often you can get the same flavor with sour cream + spices.

Last edited by picklepete; 03-03-2013 at 11:17 AM..
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:41 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: terez
WOE: Reinduction 1-2-2013
I love their bags of seafood, especially the plain shrimp and scallops. I never could see spending a lot of money on scallops, but I buy them a lot now. Plus, they have a seafood blend that's great in soups.

I wish they didn't put unnecessary sugar in their boxed soups, or I'd be a fan of them, too.
terez is offline   Reply With Quote