Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 12:46 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: qrtjacob
Potassium/salt - balance ?

Just forund this wonderful forum. Got two beginner questions:
I've been reading up on Low Carb, and some recommend to up salt and potassium. Should this primarily be done during induction period, or should I up it permanently during LC?

If I use regular table salt (NaCl) and potassium carbonate (K2CO3), should I balance them out like one gram of each, and how much would you recommend?
qrtjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Welcome grjacob! Make is simple and consume about 2 cups of chicken broth a day and from there, don't avoid salt. Eat foods that are rich in potassium (avocados are great). See how you feel and take it from there.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:04 AM   #3
Administrator

Gallery: Dottie
WOE: 90%/10% Primal and Low-Carb
On a side note (but important) : if you're taking any medications, discuss it with your doctor before you increase salt OR potassium because some medications can deplete or raise these levels.
Dottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
What I've been doing lately is lightly boiling my LC veggie in a cup of water with 2 bouillon cubes and then I drink the fantastically tasty broth.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
I wouldn't overthink it. Most Americans could use more potassium so increase that first--almost all whole plants have some. Tomatoes are probably the best LC choice.

Sodium is sort of like protein--if it tastes good you need it. If it doesn't you don't.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Strawberry
Quote:
I wouldn't overthink it
I AGREE!
For most people, who dont have medical problems, they dont need to take supplements of potassium or sodium. Your body will regulate this for you.

In general, it is healthy to eat REAL FOODS higher in potassium - tomatoes, avocados, dark leafy greens, salmon (surpisingly!), mushrooms... go Google search to get a long list.

IF you DO have a medical problem, or take ANY medications, this should be a discussion with your doctor about limiting or supplementing potassium or sodium.
The advice becomes very specific if you are taking certain blood pressure meds, diuretics, or have kidney, liver, or heart problems.

In one of his books, Dr Atkins suggested that if you feel "weak" during Induction, it may be due to the natural diuretic effect of low carb (no glycogen/sugars to hold water in muscles) and so you may benefit from consuming a little more sodium to help retain water. But again, I wouldnt worry about this unless you are actually having a problem.
Strawberry is offline   Reply With Quote