LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
Really needing to make RESTART WORK...

Long ago, in a previous life... some switch was thrown & I began gaining weight like crazy & uncontroled. Too much going on then & in the intervening years to go into here.
I had failed at other attempts at weight control & was discouraged. About that time I saw Dr Atkins on morning TV & soon after found his book (1972 hardcover) in a yard sale. (An omen?) I found I could stay on it... but could not go off induction... I got stuck at -84.
Then I suddenly had mysterious symptoms & found out I have Multiple Sclerosis. (Again too much to discuss here) That was the Spring 2001... I remain on a boatload of meds.
I drifted away from LC or bent the rules when I knew the result... It's not like I didn't know it would not work.
12 years later, have gained most of the weight back. Even worse my lack of activity has shifted weight from muscles to belly... Thanks to the MS, I can barely make a couple of steps & should use a cane or walker to prevent more falls & injuries (had some).

Older & wiser, I am restarting. I am still burning the carbs out of my system... bad cravings right now... I can feel the saliva in my mouth looking for the sugars/carbs. Right now, I need to stay out of the carbs. Knowing how this works is not the same as living it... again...

I am uncomfortable at this weight. It's unhealthy. I need to make this work.

Last edited by Just Russ; 02-24-2013 at 07:57 PM..
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
One thing I'd recommend is to go heavy on the fat, especially in the beginning, but as long as you're losing fat is great. It'll really help you stay sated and away from the carbs. You really can't over eat fat. I saw on the pork rind thread that you were using a fat spray on your cinnamon pork rinds. I'd suggest a tablespoon or two (depending on how many pork rinds) of high quality butter (grassfed if you can get it). Try not to opt for the lower fat version of anything.

I could swear that I have read that low carb is good for MS. Did I make that up? Have you heard that anywhere? Hope it's true and makes you feel better.

high fat, moderate protein, very low carb
once a day feeding
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:06 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Sharss
Stats: 5'6 1/2" 72yr 136/130/125/120
WOE: L-G Index Diet/HCG Drops
Start Date: Restarting 12/29/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubidoux View Post
...I could swear that I have read that low carb is good for MS. Did I make that up? Have you heard that anywhere? Hope it's true and makes you feel better.
I read that too, just in the last few days. However, I read so much, don't have a clue where I read it. The person said they had MS and how much LC helped them. They could do activities they couldn't before.

KEEP MOVING FORWARD
Sharon
Sharss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigsaw
Stats: 252/191.5/180(mini goal) sz 24/18/?
WOE: Metabolism/Diabetes Miracle-step2
Start Date: 12/26/2012
Welcome back, you can do this! I would definitely get rid of wheat, I've been reading the book "Wheat Belly" it seems that the wheat that is available today (which is in just about everything) is just awful for us, i'm getting rid of it myself and help it helps with joint pain and stuff. Either way, it is good to see you here!
Jigsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: rndiane
Stats: 215/ 175/size8-10
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: Jan 22,2013 3rd time
According to the Gary Taube's book that I finished reading today, ketones are good for the brain and nervous system.
rndiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Welcome back!

I too lost a bunch of weight several years back (about ten now), and then life and illness intervened, and I jumped off the wagon before finally getting an MS diagnosis. I do have to use a cane, unfortunately, and I'm on a buttload of meds. I'm also hypothyroid, which doesn't help, but I've recommitted, and I'm losing. Much more slowly than before, but losing.

I get it. We can do it. We WILL do it.

ETA: geez, I'm also from New England.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagman1776 View Post
Long ago, in a previous life... some switch was thrown & I began gaining weight like crazy & uncontroled. Too much going on then & in the intervening years to go into here.
I had failed at other attempts at weight control & was discouraged. About that time I saw Dr Atkins on morning TV & soon after found his book (1972 hardcover) in a yard sale. (An omen?) I found I could stay on it... but could not go off induction... I got stuck at -84.
Then I suddenly had mysterious symptoms & found out I have Multiple Sclerosis. (Again too much to discuss here) That was the Spring 2001... I remain on a boatload of meds.
I drifted away from LC or bent the rules when I knew the result... It's not like I didn't know it would not work.
12 years later, have gained most of the weight back. Even worse my lack of activity has shifted weight from muscles to belly... Thanks to the MS, I can barely make a couple of steps & should use a cane or walker to prevent more falls & injuries (had some).

Older & wiser, I am restarting. I am still burning the carbs out of my system... bad cravings right now... I can feel the saliva in my mouth looking for the sugars/carbs. Right now, I need to stay out of the carbs. Knowing how this works is not the same as living it... again...

I am uncomfortable at this weight. It's unhealthy. I need to make this work.
I can only share what works for me and maybe that will help?

I plan my menu each and every day in the morning and record it. I don't go off plan.

I never tire of my food choices because there are so many.

I consider this way of eating a step up from my old way.

I use my support system every single day ( lowcarbfriends).

Looking forward to 'seeing' you around!
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:16 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1sweettea1
Stats: 267/156/130
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: January 2013 after roux en y surgery Jan 2012
Same here, clackley, I just write it, do it and don't fixate on every little distraction in my life. After a while I just can't get up the energy to even try to make excuses any more.

"Do it or die" is my new motto.

Welcome back, flagman! Best of luck to you!
1sweettea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #9
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Welcome. I have heard that ketogenic diets can halt and even reverse some ms symptoms.
I am very sorry to hear of your illness but you will feel much better once you white knuckle through this first 2 weeks. It will make you feel as if you have control over at least one thing that you can do for your health. Being sick sometimes makes you feel helpless...Take back control of your way of eating and it will help your health in the long run.

Don't forget to keep your fat high and drink broth to keep your sodium intake up so you don't get the induction flu. you can do this and if you have to have something sweet there are many induction friendly treats you can have...sf jello being the easiest because you can buy it already made. There are many who will say no sweets...I say do what it takes to keep you on plan and in some sort of control...if you can wait the 2 weeks great for you.

Take care and keep us posted on your progress...we are here for you.

Being fat is Hard...Dieting is Hard... Pick your hard

Live, Laugh, Love and...LEARN from mistakes

65 pounds lost so far and not looking back
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Good luck to you. I'm glad you're looking out for your health.

Each person's relationship with MS is different, but for my dear friend, doing LC for a decade has worked out really well for her weight loss/control and for feeling well with her illness. Her doctors are 100% on board with her eating style.
emel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thankyou all for the warm Welcome & support.
I found a left over burger & made it through last night's cravings... I usually don't have that level of craving but it happened. I know these first few days will be the worst. I need to get to the store today so I have enough 'on program' foods to eat.
I keep thinking ahead... knowing I had to stay on induction indefinately... but that's not what I need to focus on. I just need to stay 'on' no matter what it takes. Typically I get by the craving in 3-5 days & lessening each day.

My wife makes dinner & gives me what I ask for... but she's a retired medical professional & does not really believe in LC.

I buy & prepare all my other meals. One of my issues has been processed foods... I bought packaged meals as a way of conserving hard-to-come-by energy. Standing to the stove to cook is pretty difficult some days. I've tried a stool but there's no nearby place to keep it, so that's an issue too. I don't mind precooked / cold left-overs... and if it keeps me out of the naughty list, I'm fine with it.

OK, I'm putting on outdoor clothes & off to the store.
Russ
Old 02-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #12
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: rubidoux
Stats: 214/130/130 (5'2")
WOE: HF/MP/LC
Start Date: restart 9/2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagman1776 View Post
My wife makes dinner & gives me what I ask for... but she's a retired medical professional & does not really believe in LC.

I buy & prepare all my other meals. One of my issues has been processed foods... I bought packaged meals as a way of conserving hard-to-come-by energy. Standing to the stove to cook is pretty difficult some days. I've tried a stool but there's no nearby place to keep it, so that's an issue too. I don't mind precooked / cold left-overs... and if it keeps me out of the naughty list, I'm fine with it.
Russ
Oh man, I think I need a wife! But not one who's a medical professional I guess. Have you talked to your doctor about LC? If your doc is supportive maybe she could have a talk w your wife. Or maybe you could ask her to read a few credible websites that address the benefits of low carb on MS.

I don't baby my husband or feel like I need to feed him or anything. Most days, in fact maybe everyday now that I think about it, he fends for himself. But if he was having your issues I would not be letting him stand at the stove. Maybe you could find a couple of recipes for her to make up for you in large quantities so the fridge is stocked for the week and she doesn't have to make a whole meal up each day.
rubidoux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
You could consider batch cooking. I do it often.

Whole pan full of chicken.
Day 1 - Eat it with a cooked veg
and then refrigerate or freeze for more meals:
Day 2- eat it cold on a tossed salad
Day 3- cooke a green veg, then slice some chicken to warm up in a skillet w/some olive oil and/or cheese.
Day 4- dice up the leftovers for a soup or stew.

Hamburger--- cook extra patties to reheat for another meal, and in the same skillet, cook a pound of ground beef to turn into a casserole such as BURGER SCRAMBLE FLORENTINE - Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes
or a LC chili.

Steak one day, steak and hard boiled eggs on salad the next, and toss some into the freezer for a steak stirfry some other day.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

We got into this division of family responsibilities... I came on the scene when the children were 7 & 9. (Now they're married & have children of their own.) But if it were not for this, I'd probably be on my own even more. For instance, she's off collecting grandkids after school in the big city & I have a nice casserole of meat to warm in the counter top oven & a salad. She has a busier schedule now than when she was working. I probably would be eatting out more at the local dinner, were it not for the casserole plan. At one point, the diner refered to a bacon-cheese burger with no bun as a 'Russ-burger'!

I took my reading glasses to the store & have a variety of breakfast & lunch meats besides beef burgers. I'm not really a fan of pepperoni but I bought a small package for a fat item this first week.

I had to go buy a used copy of The Diet Revolution 1972... after I bought the 2002 version, I gave my old one away. But 2002 didn't work for me... I'm going to print out the pages from here, to stick on the fridge. I love the plan but the book jumps around & is hard to use that way.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

I have been sticking to plan. -15 in 6 weeks. Long way to go.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 341/301.6/150
WOE: Atkins-ish
Start Date: Hcg 1/5/13, LC 2/10/13
Way to go Russ!!!! You can do this!
TheSouthernPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote