LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Family eating your LC foods!

I have 4 family members. I have a small number of snacks that I eat including pork rinds, avocados, pickles, pepperoni, nuts, Atkins bars, and cheese. We have a pantry full of other foods to choose from and still they eat my food and I am left with nothing to eat. Got home to see my daughter eating my last avocado and my son eating my last Atkinks bar. I eat about 10 nuts a day and my wife will come in an eat all of my nuts for the week in a single sitting. I am pissed! Am I the only one with this issue? How do you handle it?

Venting, I feel better now.
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Oh man, sorry to hear it.

I suppose living alone has its perks. I fret over the expense of coconut butter, smoked salmon, etc. If someone cuffed mine I would launch them into the sun!
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Mistizoom
Stats: 300/200/190 initial goal
WOE: low carb
Start Date: November 2012
I would say buy more of the LC food! I think it's great your family is enjoying more of the same foods you are eating. My 10 year old loves Atkins bars, but I personally only have them in "emergencies".
Mistizoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: 1sweettea1
Stats: 267/156/130
WOE: ATKINS 72
Start Date: January 2013 after roux en y surgery Jan 2012
How rude! But I do like Pete's idea. Apparently you're going to have to regress back to third grade and hide your schtuff.
1sweettea1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistizoom View Post
I would say buy more of the LC food! I think it's great your family is enjoying more of the same foods you are eating. My 10 year old loves Atkins bars, but I personally only have them in "emergencies".
I only have the Atkins Bars for emergencies as well, and that is what is frustrating. He stoll my emergency bar.

I guess I will have to just buy more LC foods. But I have trouble getting the quantities right so I end up running out of the stuff.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 02-24-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
Wife has her snack cupboard, I have a separate one (a old bread box actually). We pretty much stay out of each others. Kids are harder. We also have a pantry down stairs... where I keep extra items bought on sale. It does make it harder for ME to control quantities though.
I have run through all my Atkins bars... they are enough to trigger cravings for me. Emergency bar? Needs to be deep cover. Ever switch outter packaging for something they really don't like? LOL!!

Last edited by Just Russ; 02-24-2013 at 10:27 AM..
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:54 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Chocolate Rose
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: February 2012
I hide mine. But, if I know the rest of the fam likes my snacks, I buy enough for them, too.
I got tired of buying lc foods and then going to make a specific recipe only to find that someone had already eaten it. It's much easier to just hide my stash.
Dh doesn't like avocados, so that helps some. Dd just moved out to go to college and now dh wants to eat what I eat, but also wants carbs. Sorry, but I don't even cook carbs for other people any more. I liked it better when dd made their dinner and I made my own. Made it a lot easier for me.
Chocolate Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #8
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Yes and notice that they eat way more of them than you might? Carb eaters have portion control issues and they don't mind stealing.

If I could get mine to eliminate at least the wheat and sugar, I wouldn't mind so much.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:24 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/173; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / CAD
Start Date: 6/7/12
i hide mine, without shame. yes, the low carb stuff is better for you, but my family doesn't have bad eating habits in general. so maybe my situation is different.

if i left out the 20 bags of turkey jerky i bought at a great price (coupons and a sale), they'd be gone in a week.

i provide decent things for my family within their nutrition perimeters, so that i don't feel any need of guilt. lol
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/176/140-145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
I have to hide my stuff! Especially the avocados and my lc bars from aldis! My dd Loves those so I had to hide them from her Lol!
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: froggyx6
It's just me and DH here but I have to hide nuts and cheese from him. I take one Baby Bel cheese or a portion of nuts in my lunch every day. If I don't hide them he can eat 1/2 can of nuts in a sitting or 3-4 of the cheeses. He doesn't bother the bars and I don't mind sharing the avocados.
froggyx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Britt1975
Stats: 331/293/150
WOE: Low carb whole foods
Start Date: 1/14/2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmommy View Post
I have to hide my stuff! Especially the avocados and my lc bars from aldis! My dd Loves those so I had to hide them from her Lol!
LC Bars at Aldi?!?! I haven't seen these - where do you find them in your Aldi?

I have no problem with my family eating my LC things - My daughter has her pantry shelf - and she pretty much sticks to her own food. She's not interested in my low carb stuff. DH is eating LC with me - but he doesn't really 'snack' except for pork rinds and cheese sticks.

Last edited by Britt1975; 02-24-2013 at 11:53 AM..
Britt1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
My WM has Atkins bars in Rx section. Wife 'does dinners' & eats the same dinners but may add carbs for herself which I'm fine with. I do my own breakfasts & lunches (buy for & prep).

Last edited by Just Russ; 02-24-2013 at 12:01 PM..
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/12
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
When this happens in my house, I get cranky! My biggest pet peeve is when I offer to make enough of my veggie or snack for two but am told no. Then I portion out my amount and when I sit to eat it, DH thinks it looks good and decides he'd like to try 'just a little bit.'

I become irate. I measured my serving. It is mine. Then I feel like a greedy pig for feeling so protective of a few extra bites.

Totally messes with my fragile food obsessed mind!
trishthedish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:22 PM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cathlaur
Stats: 225/202/175 5"10
WOE: Atkins.
Start Date: Restarted Feb 5, 2013. Weighing once a month!
Yes my family will do that too. But I hide stuff all the time. They know I do that and they just laugh. I made low carb peanut butter cookies JUST 8 so I would not over indulge and they started eating them. I told them to get lost and took them. They were mad. I said there is the oven cook your own.
Good luck
Katie
cathlaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sya_unit
Stats: 254/184/140
WOE: Atkinsish
Start Date: Jan 3, 2012
I hide my stuff too! I'm happy to share, but some stuff is $$$ so I hide it. Atkins bars, macadamia nuts, etc. I don't have many snacks that are not all family friendly anyway - almond, pork rinds, cheese, pepperoni sticks. I make a note on them if I don't want my family to eat them. "MOM ONLY" And if they see that they generally respect it. And the only thing I haven't been successful is with the new Greek Yogurt as my DS loves it with a few sdrops of ezsweetz. I just bought twice as much this week AND found a coupon for it.
sya_unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Jigsaw
Stats: 252/191.5/180(mini goal) sz 24/18/?
WOE: Metabolism/Diabetes Miracle-step2
Start Date: 12/26/2012
Get rid of the high carb items and only carry low carb snacks, then your whole family will be healthy, they don't need it anyways. I only have low carb items/snacks at my house.
pickles
hard boiled eggs
cheese
ham
salami
nuts
chocolate bean cupcakes
sugar free peanut butter cookies
beef roll ups
cut up veggies and dip
jerky
string cheese
If they can't find something in all of this to munch on, I don't know...
Good luck!
Jigsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:54 PM   #18
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: synger
Stats: Start: 310 Current: 259
WOE: Calorie and carb counting, IR Diet framework
Start Date: IR/PCOS: Dx pre-diabetic 3/2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthedish View Post
When this happens in my house, I get cranky! My biggest pet peeve is when I offer to make enough of my veggie or snack for two but am told no. Then I portion out my amount and when I sit to eat it, DH thinks it looks good and decides he'd like to try 'just a little bit.'

I become irate. I measured my serving. It is mine. Then I feel like a greedy pig for feeling so protective of a few extra bites.
When I'm on lower-calorie days, all bets are off. The cat that usually gets a bit of egg or pork chop MIGHT get to lick the plate, but doesn't get tidbits. And even that isn't guaranteed. Today I made chopped chicken liver to eat on celery, and I used my finger to clean the bowl before I gave it to the cat. I was HUNGRY, and that was my only meal for the evening. Let's hear it for protectiveness!
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: cfine
Stats: 276/217/199
WOE: NK
Start Date: April 2012
This is one of my biggest pet peeve's at my house!! They all can eat graham crackers, cookies, crackers, whatever they want and they want to eat my stuff?? I get M-A-D!!
cfine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #20
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lola001
Stats: 68.2/67.1/50
WOE: Atkins 72 post preggy
Start Date: begin 15 April 2009
Same here- they eat it all in one sitting. I don't want to create food issues but I eat from such a small food grouping that I get pretty cheesed off when my food disappears (especially the midnight snackers!).
We share one pantry so I will have to figure out something, probably store food at work so that prep for work becomes less food containers.
lola001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:24 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Lokarbiebarbie
Stats: 185/120/125
WOE: Atkins 1972
Start Date: December 2008
I simply stop making any meals for DH when he starts stealing (and the horrible part is that he will STAND THERE and LIE about it...there's only the two of us...the dog can't reach the fridge door, nor open it or the cheeses).

This usually works for me everytime. I did get really upset one time and when he went to work, I got a large trash bag and threw out all his carbage...chips, breads, goodies, muffins, etc....yep..tossed them and then stood there and smirked and said 'I guess the same person who took my cheese, nuts and other stuff just for me was here".
Lokarbiebarbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #22
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jenericstewart
Stats: 293+/177/173; 5'6", 53 yrs
WOE: JUDDD / CAD
Start Date: 6/7/12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
Get rid of the high carb items and only carry low carb snacks, then your whole family will be healthy, they don't need it anyways. I only have low carb items/snacks at my house.
my husband has the opposite problem, where he fights thinness and is healthy as a horse.

i couldn't do this to him. thankfully, our taste for snacks are quite dissimilar.
jenericstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #23
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Meli-Mel
Stats: 190/182/150
Start Date: September 24, 2012
Luckily, DH doesn't care for my snacks and the kids know better, although I will share with them sometimes. :lol

I have a friend whose family kept stealing her fat bombs. She hid them in some other container that they normally wouldn't touch and her treats were safe! :lol
Meli-Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:39 AM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokarbiebarbie View Post
I simply stop making any meals for DH when he starts stealing (and the horrible part is that he will STAND THERE and LIE about it...there's only the two of us...the dog can't reach the fridge door, nor open it or the cheeses).

This usually works for me everytime. I did get really upset one time and when he went to work, I got a large trash bag and threw out all his carbage...chips, breads, goodies, muffins, etc....yep..tossed them and then stood there and smirked and said 'I guess the same person who took my cheese, nuts and other stuff just for me was here".
This is hilarious!

I'm not much of a snacker and fortunately the few snacks I eat (hard-boiled eggs, dill pickles, radishes) don't appeal to the non-LCer in our family. If I were in your position, OP, I'd hide them and not feel a trace of guilt. They can eat anything (else) that they want!
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #25
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
I have a similar concern, but first let me suggest that you carve out a space for 'restricted access' for your food. I have the left side of the middle shelf in the frig, and I keep my dry snacks in the baking goods cabinet while his snacks/cereal/bread go into a different cabinet.

My friend kept a tackle box in her kitchen filled with her LC stuff lol.

Okay, so for my issue, which I'm sharing because you might want to think about it for your family's health:
My husband will eat my LC foods, thinking that he is doing a healthy thing.
However, since my stuff is high fat, IMO it is not good for him to eat because he doesn't restrict carbs. when he goes for snacks from my high fat, moderate protein foods, he's ending up with unrestricted carbs and higher fat, which is a great way to gain weight.

I'm willing to cook LC for him, but he's not into it right now. He's gaining weight and I wish he'd pick either calorie restriction or carb control. Trying to some of each while adding fats by swiping my LC stuff doesn't work.
Old 02-25-2013, 07:46 AM   #26
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: shirlc
Stats: 144/128.5/130-5'5"
WOE: Low/Mod Carb, JUDDD (JUDDD, 10/25/11 at 141.5)
Start Date: March, 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
my stuff is high fat, IMO it is not good for him to eat because he doesn't restrict carbs. when he goes for snacks from my high fat, moderate protein foods, he's ending up with unrestricted carbs and higher fat, which is a great way to gain weight.

I'm willing to cook LC for him, but he's not into it right now. He's gaining weight and I wish he'd pick either calorie restriction or carb control. Trying to some of each while adding fats by swiping my LC stuff doesn't work.

This is exactly my issue except that my husband is slim and trim and doesn't need to low carb. Adding fat to his unrestricted carbs is definitely not a good idea.
shirlc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #27
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: reddarin
Stats: 6' 47y/o 265/193/170
WOE: NK
Start Date: Aug 13, 2011
I'd lay it out for the kids. If you eat my stuff we are not going to buy the carby stuff you like. Your choice.
reddarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:00 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
However, since my stuff is high fat, IMO it is not good for him to eat because he doesn't restrict carbs. when he goes for snacks from my high fat, moderate protein foods, he's ending up with unrestricted carbs and higher fat, which is a great way to gain weight.
I was thinking about this while reading the thread. I wouldn't mind my carb-eating family members eating my HB eggs or pickles, but if I had things like fat bombs lying around, I'd make certain that they weren't eating them because high carb + high fat is a deadly combo.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:28 AM   #29
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Patina
Stats: 260/244/155
WOE: Low to Moderate Carbs
Start Date: January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by emel View Post
I have the same issue going on. I cook healthy for my husband and he eats the food and he actually likes it but an hour or two later he's got himself a bowl of sugary cereal or a bowl of ice cream with chocolate syrup on it.

We do the shopping together each week so he always makes sure his sweets make it into the cart. I learned long ago that lecturing isn't going to work and he's an adult and can make his own decisions...but it drives me a little crazy to cook healthy for him only to see him scarfing bowls of carbs later.
Patina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 08:50 AM   #30
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: livinlarge
WOE: whatever works
I don't really have these issues at home. It's just me and hubby mostly (except every other weekend my stepson is there). I'm low carb & hubby is restricting fat/calories right now. He has a cabinet, I have a cabinet and step-son has a cabinet. We share produce/eggs/meat. It's not very economical sometimes, but it works for us.
livinlarge is offline   Reply With Quote