Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   Family eating your LC foods! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797804-family-eating-your-lc-foods.html)

Big Stevie 02-24-2013 09:18 AM

Family eating your LC foods!

I have 4 family members. I have a small number of snacks that I eat including pork rinds, avocados, pickles, pepperoni, nuts, Atkins bars, and cheese. We have a pantry full of other foods to choose from and still they eat my food and I am left with nothing to eat. Got home to see my daughter eating my last avocado and my son eating my last Atkinks bar. I eat about 10 nuts a day and my wife will come in an eat all of my nuts for the week in a single sitting. I am pissed! Am I the only one with this issue? How do you handle it?

Venting, I feel better now.:stars:

picklepete 02-24-2013 09:28 AM

Oh man, sorry to hear it.

I suppose living alone has its perks. I fret over the expense of coconut butter, smoked salmon, etc. If someone cuffed mine I would launch them into the sun! :p

Mistizoom 02-24-2013 09:48 AM

I would say buy more of the LC food! ;) I think it's great your family is enjoying more of the same foods you are eating. My 10 year old loves Atkins bars, but I personally only have them in "emergencies".

1sweettea1 02-24-2013 09:54 AM

How rude! But I do like Pete's idea. :lol: Apparently you're going to have to regress back to third grade and hide your schtuff.

Big Stevie 02-24-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mistizoom (Post 16277726)
I would say buy more of the LC food! ;) I think it's great your family is enjoying more of the same foods you are eating. My 10 year old loves Atkins bars, but I personally only have them in "emergencies".

I only have the Atkins Bars for emergencies as well, and that is what is frustrating. He stoll my emergency bar.

I guess I will have to just buy more LC foods. But I have trouble getting the quantities right so I end up running out of the stuff.

Just Russ 02-24-2013 10:24 AM

Wife has her snack cupboard, I have a separate one (a old bread box actually). We pretty much stay out of each others. Kids are harder. We also have a pantry down stairs... where I keep extra items bought on sale. It does make it harder for ME to control quantities though.
I have run through all my Atkins bars... they are enough to trigger cravings for me. Emergency bar? Needs to be deep cover. Ever switch outter packaging for something they really don't like? LOL!!

Chocolate Rose 02-24-2013 10:54 AM

I hide mine. But, if I know the rest of the fam likes my snacks, I buy enough for them, too.
I got tired of buying lc foods and then going to make a specific recipe only to find that someone had already eaten it. It's much easier to just hide my stash.
Dh doesn't like avocados, so that helps some. Dd just moved out to go to college and now dh wants to eat what I eat, but also wants carbs. Sorry, but I don't even cook carbs for other people any more. I liked it better when dd made their dinner and I made my own. :p Made it a lot easier for me.

clackley 02-24-2013 11:09 AM

Yes and notice that they eat way more of them than you might? Carb eaters have portion control issues and they don't mind stealing.;)

If I could get mine to eliminate at least the wheat and sugar, I wouldn't mind so much.

jenericstewart 02-24-2013 11:24 AM

i hide mine, without shame. yes, the low carb stuff is better for you, but my family doesn't have bad eating habits in general. so maybe my situation is different.

if i left out the 20 bags of turkey jerky i bought at a great price (coupons and a sale), they'd be gone in a week.

i provide decent things for my family within their nutrition perimeters, so that i don't feel any need of guilt. lol

princessmommy 02-24-2013 11:41 AM

I have to hide my stuff! Especially the avocados and my lc bars from aldis! My dd Loves those so I had to hide them from her Lol!

froggyx6 02-24-2013 11:46 AM

It's just me and DH here but I have to hide nuts and cheese from him. I take one Baby Bel cheese or a portion of nuts in my lunch every day. If I don't hide them he can eat 1/2 can of nuts in a sitting or 3-4 of the cheeses. He doesn't bother the bars and I don't mind sharing the avocados.

Britt1975 02-24-2013 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessmommy (Post 16277952)
I have to hide my stuff! Especially the avocados and my lc bars from aldis! My dd Loves those so I had to hide them from her Lol!

LC Bars at Aldi?!?! I haven't seen these - where do you find them in your Aldi?

I have no problem with my family eating my LC things - My daughter has her pantry shelf - and she pretty much sticks to her own food. She's not interested in my low carb stuff. DH is eating LC with me - but he doesn't really 'snack' except for pork rinds and cheese sticks.

Just Russ 02-24-2013 11:59 AM

My WM has Atkins bars in Rx section. Wife 'does dinners' & eats the same dinners but may add carbs for herself which I'm fine with. I do my own breakfasts & lunches (buy for & prep).

trishthedish 02-24-2013 04:18 PM

When this happens in my house, I get cranky! My biggest pet peeve is when I offer to make enough of my veggie or snack for two but am told no. Then I portion out my amount and when I sit to eat it, DH thinks it looks good and decides he'd like to try 'just a little bit.'

I become irate. I measured my serving. It is mine. Then I feel like a greedy pig for feeling so protective of a few extra bites.

Totally messes with my fragile food obsessed mind!:mad:

cathlaur 02-24-2013 05:22 PM

Yes my family will do that too. But I hide stuff all the time. They know I do that and they just laugh. I made low carb peanut butter cookies JUST 8 so I would not over indulge and they started eating them. I told them to get lost and took them. They were mad. I said there is the oven cook your own.
Good luck
Katie

sya_unit 02-24-2013 06:14 PM

I hide my stuff too! I'm happy to share, but some stuff is $$$ so I hide it. Atkins bars, macadamia nuts, etc. I don't have many snacks that are not all family friendly anyway - almond, pork rinds, cheese, pepperoni sticks. I make a note on them if I don't want my family to eat them. "MOM ONLY" And if they see that they generally respect it. And the only thing I haven't been successful is with the new Greek Yogurt as my DS loves it with a few sdrops of ezsweetz. :) I just bought twice as much this week AND found a coupon for it.

Jigsaw 02-24-2013 06:42 PM

Get rid of the high carb items and only carry low carb snacks, then your whole family will be healthy, they don't need it anyways. I only have low carb items/snacks at my house.
pickles
hard boiled eggs
cheese
ham
salami
nuts
chocolate bean cupcakes
sugar free peanut butter cookies
beef roll ups
cut up veggies and dip
jerky
string cheese
If they can't find something in all of this to munch on, I don't know...
Good luck! :)

synger 02-24-2013 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trishthedish (Post 16278393)
When this happens in my house, I get cranky! My biggest pet peeve is when I offer to make enough of my veggie or snack for two but am told no. Then I portion out my amount and when I sit to eat it, DH thinks it looks good and decides he'd like to try 'just a little bit.'

I become irate. I measured my serving. It is mine. Then I feel like a greedy pig for feeling so protective of a few extra bites.

When I'm on lower-calorie days, all bets are off. The cat that usually gets a bit of egg or pork chop MIGHT get to lick the plate, but doesn't get tidbits. And even that isn't guaranteed. Today I made chopped chicken liver to eat on celery, and I used my finger to clean the bowl before I gave it to the cat. I was HUNGRY, and that was my only meal for the evening. Let's hear it for protectiveness!

cfine 02-24-2013 07:31 PM

This is one of my biggest pet peeve's at my house!! They all can eat graham crackers, cookies, crackers, whatever they want and they want to eat my stuff?? I get M-A-D!!

lola001 02-25-2013 12:27 AM

Same here- they eat it all in one sitting. I don't want to create food issues but I eat from such a small food grouping that I get pretty cheesed off when my food disappears (especially the midnight snackers!).
We share one pantry so I will have to figure out something, probably store food at work so that prep for work becomes less food containers. :)

Lokarbiebarbie 02-25-2013 05:24 AM

I simply stop making any meals for DH when he starts stealing (and the horrible part is that he will STAND THERE and LIE about it...there's only the two of us...the dog can't reach the fridge door, nor open it or the cheeses).

This usually works for me everytime. I did get really upset one time and when he went to work, I got a large trash bag and threw out all his carbage...chips, breads, goodies, muffins, etc....yep..tossed them and then stood there and smirked and said 'I guess the same person who took my cheese, nuts and other stuff just for me was here".

jenericstewart 02-25-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigsaw (Post 16278602)
Get rid of the high carb items and only carry low carb snacks, then your whole family will be healthy, they don't need it anyways. I only have low carb items/snacks at my house.

my husband has the opposite problem, where he fights thinness and is healthy as a horse. :mad::hyst:

i couldn't do this to him. thankfully, our taste for snacks are quite dissimilar.

Meli-Mel 02-25-2013 06:16 AM

Luckily, DH doesn't care for my snacks and the kids know better, although I will share with them sometimes. :lol

I have a friend whose family kept stealing her fat bombs. She hid them in some other container that they normally wouldn't touch and her treats were safe! :lol

Knittering 02-25-2013 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lokarbiebarbie (Post 16278966)
I simply stop making any meals for DH when he starts stealing (and the horrible part is that he will STAND THERE and LIE about it...there's only the two of us...the dog can't reach the fridge door, nor open it or the cheeses).

This usually works for me everytime. I did get really upset one time and when he went to work, I got a large trash bag and threw out all his carbage...chips, breads, goodies, muffins, etc....yep..tossed them and then stood there and smirked and said 'I guess the same person who took my cheese, nuts and other stuff just for me was here".

This is hilarious! :lol:

I'm not much of a snacker and fortunately the few snacks I eat (hard-boiled eggs, dill pickles, radishes) don't appeal to the non-LCer in our family. If I were in your position, OP, I'd hide them and not feel a trace of guilt. They can eat anything (else) that they want!

emel 02-25-2013 07:32 AM

I have a similar concern, but first let me suggest that you carve out a space for 'restricted access' for your food. I have the left side of the middle shelf in the frig, and I keep my dry snacks in the baking goods cabinet while his snacks/cereal/bread go into a different cabinet.

My friend kept a tackle box in her kitchen filled with her LC stuff lol.

Okay, so for my issue, which I'm sharing because you might want to think about it for your family's health:
My husband will eat my LC foods, thinking that he is doing a healthy thing.
However, since my stuff is high fat, IMO it is not good for him to eat because he doesn't restrict carbs. when he goes for snacks from my high fat, moderate protein foods, he's ending up with unrestricted carbs and higher fat, which is a great way to gain weight.

I'm willing to cook LC for him, but he's not into it right now. He's gaining weight and I wish he'd pick either calorie restriction or carb control. Trying to some of each while adding fats by swiping my LC stuff doesn't work.

shirlc 02-25-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emel (Post 16279277)
my stuff is high fat, IMO it is not good for him to eat because he doesn't restrict carbs. when he goes for snacks from my high fat, moderate protein foods, he's ending up with unrestricted carbs and higher fat, which is a great way to gain weight.

I'm willing to cook LC for him, but he's not into it right now. He's gaining weight and I wish he'd pick either calorie restriction or carb control. Trying to some of each while adding fats by swiping my LC stuff doesn't work.

This is exactly my issue except that my husband is slim and trim and doesn't need to low carb. Adding fat to his unrestricted carbs is definitely not a good idea.

reddarin 02-25-2013 07:51 AM

I'd lay it out for the kids. If you eat my stuff we are not going to buy the carby stuff you like. Your choice.

Knittering 02-25-2013 08:00 AM

Quote:

However, since my stuff is high fat, IMO it is not good for him to eat because he doesn't restrict carbs. when he goes for snacks from my high fat, moderate protein foods, he's ending up with unrestricted carbs and higher fat, which is a great way to gain weight.
I was thinking about this while reading the thread. I wouldn't mind my carb-eating family members eating my HB eggs or pickles, but if I had things like fat bombs lying around, I'd make certain that they weren't eating them because high carb + high fat is a deadly combo.

Patina 02-25-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emel (Post 16279277)

I have the same issue going on. I cook healthy for my husband and he eats the food and he actually likes it but an hour or two later he's got himself a bowl of sugary cereal or a bowl of ice cream with chocolate syrup on it.

We do the shopping together each week so he always makes sure his sweets make it into the cart. I learned long ago that lecturing isn't going to work and he's an adult and can make his own decisions...but it drives me a little crazy to cook healthy for him only to see him scarfing bowls of carbs later.

livinlarge 02-25-2013 08:50 AM

I don't really have these issues at home. It's just me and hubby mostly (except every other weekend my stepson is there). I'm low carb & hubby is restricting fat/calories right now. He has a cabinet, I have a cabinet and step-son has a cabinet. We share produce/eggs/meat. It's not very economical sometimes, but it works for us.