LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: emel
Stats: 179.4/158.8/130ish
WOE: Atkins OWL/NK hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patina View Post
I have the same issue going on. I cook healthy for my husband and he eats the food and he actually likes it but an hour or two later he's got himself a bowl of sugary cereal or a bowl of ice cream with chocolate syrup on it.

We do the shopping together each week so he always makes sure his sweets make it into the cart. I learned long ago that lecturing isn't going to work and he's an adult and can make his own decisions...but it drives me a little crazy to cook healthy for him only to see him scarfing bowls of carbs later.
My thinking is more like Shirl's and knittering's.
I'm happy that he enjoys the healthier meals I cook, and I don't mind doing the work for it. I figure his snacking choices are his own business, and I don't have an objection to most of what he chooses.

But it's the simple chemistry that bothers me. He's honestly trying to eat more healthily. But LC isn't a "sometimes" thing, and he's going in the wrong direction by eating both. IMO you can do a weight watcher's style lowfat/moderate protein/moderate carbs, or you can do an LC thing, but the minute you start combining fats and carbs, you've got troubles.

It's on my mind a lot at the moment because he's going in for a knee replacement. We just had a talk about his eating style while he's inactive after surgery. He's chosen calorie restriction, and I reminded him how fatty my foods are, so he's on board with portion control and simple foods.

One last thing, when he did LC with me, he lost like 5 times faster than I did, the jerk. lol

Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2013, 10:27 AM   #32
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: DD80
Stats: 188/165.0/145 5'10"
WOE: Organic GrassFed Gluten-Free 5/13 Dairy Free 2/14
Start Date: 1/10/12 Medi, 2/9/12 First UD, 1/1/13 New Plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishthedish View Post
When this happens in my house, I get cranky! My biggest pet peeve is when I offer to make enough of my veggie or snack for two but am told no. Then I portion out my amount and when I sit to eat it, DH thinks it looks good and decides he'd like to try 'just a little bit.'

I become irate. I measured my serving. It is mine. Then I feel like a greedy pig for feeling so protective of a few extra bites.

Totally messes with my fragile food obsessed mind!
Mine does this too. No matter what, he will always want 1/4 of my apple or a bite of my dark chocolate. I've come to accept the apple, but I bought him his own white chocolate and will just give him some of that. Those are MY 6 tiny squares!

My husband is thin, trying to gain weight (muscle weight), and has the fastest metabolism known to man. He can eat whatever, whenever, but he eats like a thin person, so it's tough for him to gain weight. I am not eating low carb, but more zone dietish and trying to reduce sweets overall. I watch my calories and eat a fruits/veggies/good fats/lean meats/cheese/nuts... My husband can eat whatever. He's slightly picky, but he definitely does not have to calorie restrict.

So, that being said, this is how I handle the food situation:

1. Weekdays - I don't eat dinner with him. I eat my stuff much earlier because I work out after work and only have time for a protein shake before 8pm. I do not like to eat late. He eats at 8-10 pm.

2. I don't eat what he eats - meaning, I will cook him foods that I won't/can't eat. For example, I'll make a lasagna on Sunday that he can eat all week for dinner. I am not eating white pasta (or much pasta in general), so I won't eat it. I make my own food for the week based on what I'm craving. (This week it's tuna, last week was grilled chicken parm.)

3. I buy him snack foods that he enjoys, but I am not tempted by. This is easy for the most part, because he loves chips and I could care less about them. He's not big on sweets, but if he wants something, I will get him a flavor I am not tempted by - like cherry garcia pint of ice cream. I don't care for that flavor, but he does.

4. If I buy something for me, I will tell him so, and he respects it. I've asked him to tell me if he wants something, because I will buy more. I will go to the store mid-week for any items we run out of.
Granted, he usually doesn't touch my snack foods (picky comes in handy here!), but as stated above, he will steal my fruit - but only off my plate. (Why is he too lazy to cut up an apple or wash a few strawberries? I'll never know He has shocked me and done it though...). So, I buy extra of those foods because I know he will steal them. And, since he's trying to eat healthier, I will cut him up his own apple instead of chips with his lunch.

I hope I gave you some ideas! When all else fails - HIDE IT! And not just in the pantry...in your dresser or closet works too!
Old 02-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: jedswife
Stats: 220/160/140
WOE: Body By Atkins
my 16 year old son and his friends REALLy love some of the low carb recipes and ticks me off - i have made the Crack Slaw enough to get me through a week of eating and he and his friends will eat it all in one sitting - it was supposed to last me a week nope not even a day.

they also love linda's white castle pie recipe - brussel sprouts with bacon i mean i know its good stuff but do they have to eat a week's worth in one sitting.
jedswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:00 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: dmburk
Stats: 260/185/190
WOE: Atkins/NK
Start Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfine View Post
This is one of my biggest pet peeve's at my house!! They all can eat graham crackers, cookies, crackers, whatever they want and they want to eat my stuff?? I get M-A-D!!
That's right!
dmburk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #35
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LoriAS
Stats: 218.2/175.4/128
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 9/17/12
I have come to terms with them eating almost all of my goodies and have just begun to purchase more. However, when I spend time on Sunday precooking all my meat for lunches for the week and some teenager decides to randomly snack on my burgers or taco meat and scarf it all down...I get downright TICKED! When you have all the snacks you have asked for in the cupboard to include chips, pretzels, crackers, in addition to the 4 different kinds of fruits in the fridges, why must you munch on my LUNCH for a snack!

GRRR! I think this rant is safely over ! (No teenagers have been harmed in the making of this post.)

Goals met:
199.9 - ONEderland(10/23/12);
180s - (12/08/12)
170s - (1/7/13) (made it back 01/14) (no longer obese)
160s - (3/2/13) 50.2 pounds in 5 1/2 months!
148 - No longer Overweight
"Remember, the feeling you get from a good run is far better than the feeling you get from sitting around wishing you were running." ~ Sarah Condor, Runner/Author
LoriAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Big Stevie
Stats: 295 Start/212 now/195 goal
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 7-22-12
Wow, thanks for making me feel ok about this guys! For a minute there I thought I was the only one!

I call my wife the Locust. She comes in and eats everything in site. She will eat whole pies, whole bags of chips, whole cans of nuts in one sitting. She has always been this way. And the sick thing about it is she is 5'7" and 125 pounds.

Last edited by Big Stevie; 02-25-2013 at 12:45 PM..
Big Stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:14 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lowcarbella
Stats: 241(pregnancy highest)/175/150(or 20-25%BF)
WOE: LCHF/NK my way
Start Date: Feb 2012
When I was pregnant last year,I had tons of heartburn and nausea and disliked most LC and nonveg foods.So I resorted to eating a few high carb items just to take the edge off nausea- like a lower carb bread,some high carb veggies like beets/carrots,some fruits in moderation.DH did the shopping and one time I requested he bring me a slice of cheesecake.Then for every shopping trip ,he would come in with tons of fruit,breads and goodies and cake .It was like he was just waiting for me to go off LC WOE ,so those things can make their way to our house again.When I question why he bought all that he would say'but you told me to buy it'.
truth is I only asked for one time,not every time he went shopping.But I was too tired and sick to argue .Anyways while I gained a ton of pounds,so did my DH and DD!!!
After dellivery when we got home,one of the first things I did was clean out the pantry and fridge of all junk,and declared no more high carb junk here again.
The only snacks allowed were nuts,cheese and boiled eggs.Juice was thrown out too.
Both of them lost all excess they had gained and the whole family cleaned up their eating.
To OP- I would hide the expensive snacks on LC.
As for the other LC snacks buy more in bulk if they like them.and make sure to bring less of the high carb junk.
I totally understand the case of measuring your food and sitting down to eat,only for family to want to try yours.
As I always say,you ppl can eat whatever you want,as for me this is my only snack.
mini goal : 175 reached
mega goal : 170 : Combined weights of 3 pregnancies will be gone forever
mega goal : 150 :
mega goal : tone allover,close and repair my diastasis and hernia
Push yourself. Because no one else is going to do it for you.
lowcarbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #38
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Demonica
Stats: 210/164.9/150
WOE: Stillman's
Start Date: February 2010
Luckily I don't have to worry about this. DD hardly eats anything anyway (on the weekends I have to take her to Dollar General to buy her stuff because she never wants or asks for anything from the grocery store) and DH is happy with eating cheeseburgers without buns and eating peanut butter straight out of the jar. (his idea of "low carb") So my fridge and freezer is mostly filled with veggies and such that neither one of them will touch.
Demonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Maumie
Stats: 223-194/171/Size 12
WOE: Low Carb/Atkins
Start Date: 10-1-2012
The only thing my family will eat (besides string cheese and eggs) is my treasured dark chocolate. There is no way I can possibly buy enough for them and me. They will eat several whole bars every day, while I eat a square once in a while. So I hide it (and feel guilty about it, too!).
Maumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #40
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Bamboozled
Stats: 297/285/210
WOE: Blood Type Diet/SB Phase 2
Start Date: Sept.23/12 and restarted Mar.18/13
Not cool! Time to get a safe and start putting your LC food in there. I know not all will go in an unrefrigerated safe but saving some of your stuff is better than nothing. Seems drastic? Maybe. But I would be outraged to come home craving guacamole and finding someone ate my last avocado.

I am so very lucky that my husband is doing low carb with me. I know he buys the odd chocolate bar on his way to work but I couldn't care less. I'm very proud of him and glad we can both enjoy the same meals and snacks.
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Arctic_Mama
Stats: 257/145.8/140
WOE: Atkins 2002/Protocol
Start Date: Began losing 10/08. Working off last 20 lbs.
It's just food! I can always buy more, and quite frankly given the choice between their normal snacks and my fare, my entire family goes for the normal stuff. But when they do want some avocado or sardines of course I share! It's much healthier for them, and I can get back to the store in a day or three to buy more. I try not to be overly protective of food, there's plenty of things in the house I can eat, even if I WANT one particular item that someone ate the last of, it isn't the end of the world

On a pregnancy break with baby #5 until January 2015
Arctic_Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #42
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: August Moon
WOE: moderate carbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Stevie View Post
I have 4 family members. I have a small number of snacks that I eat including pork rinds, avocados, pickles, pepperoni, nuts, Atkins bars, and cheese. We have a pantry full of other foods to choose from and still they eat my food and I am left with nothing to eat. Got home to see my daughter eating my last avocado and my son eating my last Atkinks bar. I eat about 10 nuts a day and my wife will come in an eat all of my nuts for the week in a single sitting. I am pissed! Am I the only one with this issue? How do you handle it?

Venting, I feel better now.
Right? How annoying is this? Extremely! My mother lives with me and can eat every carb on earth with no consequence. The minute I have something specially made LC...she wants it too. Noooo...go eat your sugar and leave me this! She likes my Julian Bakery bread when it is in the house and won't eat her usual favorite carby one. Thanks Mom...you can eat ice cream, cake, French baugettes, croissants, chips...potatoes. Everything. But no, you want my $7 loaf of bread.

Same with my sister when she visits. She stalks me in the kitchen when I'm making something suitable for me, and says, "I want that" in her puppy-eyes way. lol

Annoying.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:01 AM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Have you tried freezing your treats?
Sometimes people who are in the middle of a snacking frenzy don't want to wait for something to defrost, and will move on to something else.
Or you could put some snacks in an opaque container, like a ricotta or ice cream carton, and put a bag of chicken bones/vegetable scraps (like you're saving them for soup) on top.

I'm lucky because my son is vegetarian and he doesn't eat my stuff!

(However--my son knows not to eat the last of ANYTHING without asking if I want some. Or to at least write it on the grocery list, so that I know we're out.)

I like that he eats more avocados, broccoli, walnuts, etc when I plan ahead for my WOE. But I wouldn't want him eating my "emergency foods" UNLESS he decided to do LC as well...it wouldn't really do him any good to eat an Atkins bar in the middle of a day when he is also eating Skittles and bagels. (I do hide my SF chocolates, because they might upset his stomach.)
New lows, 2014:
7/25....276.2
8/01....274.6
8/02....274.2
8/03....273.6
8/04....271.6
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #44
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
WOE: LC
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
Have you tried freezing your treats?
That's a great idea, Jenny!

I'm really surprised by all the kids and teens scarfing down various LC treats. My brother and I were never allowed to just eat stuff from the kitchen. We had to ask before taking anything, even a carrot or an apple. I can't even imagine how furious my mother would have been if we'd eaten expensive diet-related food.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: piratejenny
Stats: 293/<273/<160 (5'7")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: restart 6/12/14 @ 289.4
Yeah...I don't like to kvetch about "young people these days"!!! but maybe that *is* a big difference in the last couple generations...moms (especially ones who didn't work outside the home, or back in those days when families came home for lunch) controlled the kitchen a lot more.

I was allowed to have fruit or make myself a sandwich after school, but not snack on things like potato chips and chocolates. Those things were SPECIAL and RARE; they were for the whole family; to open a bag of potato chips would have been "selfish" and "spoiled" behavior.

I'm not saying that was entirely "better" than our culture today; I had a lot of hang-ups about food; I used to buy prohibited food with my own money, hide from my parents to eat it, and get rid of the wrappers away from the house; I'd get punished if I was caught. I was very thin, hungry all the time, and paranoid!

I'm more lax with my son and he only eats when he is hungry. He does like some candy and junk food, but it's a once-a-week or once-a-month treat. He's just as happy when our "treat" is artichokes and garlic butter!
piratejenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: phurst_gal
Stats: 215 / ??? / 150
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: 5/1/2014 (again)
I don't mind sharing my stuff, unless it's something that I specifically planned to eat that day.

At our house, it's not only DH, but my 85 yo mom lives with us ... she has zillions of things to eat, but always gravitates to my little containers in the fridge.

Last week it was chicken wings. I had specifically cooked them up to have them for multiple lunches throughout the week. I generally plan and cook all the meals. One night I just told dh (and Mom) ... you're on your own tonight. An hour later, I found the empty wing container in the sink. (DH fessed up to it). Serves me right, I guess, for not fixing a real dinner!

DH has recently acquired a taste for Quest protein bars.

I try to remember to always label my stuff with my name, so they'll know to leave it alone. Maybe I should start adding a little skull and crossbones to the label?
phurst_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:21 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: zombiegoat2000
Stats: Start 296.0#/258/150# 5'8" Female
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: January2012
I think my mom and brother learned on their own when mom ate a whole bag of sugar free turtles and bro at 5 of my fat bombs!
zombiegoat2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:48 PM   #48
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knittering View Post
That's a great idea, Jenny!

I'm really surprised by all the kids and teens scarfing down various LC treats. My brother and I were never allowed to just eat stuff from the kitchen. We had to ask before taking anything, even a carrot or an apple. I can't even imagine how furious my mother would have been if we'd eaten expensive diet-related food.
I was doing the grocery shopping by the time I was 12 (by my choice, they dropped me off and picked me up after doing other errands every Saturday), and my brother and I each had to cook at least one meal per week from the time we were each about 8.

It was never a big deal for any of us to go in and grab a snack from the kitchen when we were hungry. It wasn't one person's domain, it was the family's kitchen.

Each family is different.

That said, if someone had some special food or treat, we were raised to understand that was to be respected. I had a hard enough time in college with roommates taking my food, I wouldn't be able to stand it in my home.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.

Last edited by Ntombi; 03-01-2013 at 08:49 PM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I think fridges are a weak spot... our items are visible to others. Maybe labeling with a Post-it... I'd do my initial "R's lunches" and others should respect that. Other's can likewise label their treat's "S" or some such. I have my "spot in the fridge" the lower right shelf... I put my things there, my wife puts left overs there that are not enough for a dinner so I know I can have them for a lunch or snack.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #50
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Knittering
Stats: (250) 236/172/150 5'8
Start Date: Restart: 2/18/13
Quote:
Each family is different.
I totally get that.

OTOH, I suspect that all this free-range snacking that kids and teens are allowed to do these days is a large contributor to the childhood obesity problem.
Knittering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:15 AM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: margame
Stats: size 1x/2x ---> 12 and shrinking (5'7")
WOE: lc:>10%c/20-30%p/60-70%f
Start Date: jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw View Post
Get rid of the high carb items and only carry low carb snacks, ...
^this^ is what i do ... all the food comes from the same family food budget. if they want high carb stuff they have to buy their own.
margame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:16 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Just Russ
Stats: Restart 7.2.14 * 249#
WOE: Atkins 72, controlled portions
Start Date: Original start 2000, 252/168
I forgot to mention earlier... wife has 'her cupboard' with cereal, crackers & such. I try to stay out of it. (Before my restart, I might sample the carbs & we know that isn't LC.) Out of sight, should be out of mind.

I have a cupboard where I keep my pork skins, cinnamon & splenda shakers & anything else which is for me.
Just Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:59 AM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by piratejenny View Post
Yeah...I don't like to kvetch about "young people these days"!!! but maybe that *is* a big difference in the last couple generations...moms (especially ones who didn't work outside the home, or back in those days when families came home for lunch) controlled the kitchen a lot more.

I was allowed to have fruit or make myself a sandwich after school, but not snack on things like potato chips and chocolates. Those things were SPECIAL and RARE; they were for the whole family; to open a bag of potato chips would have been "selfish" and "spoiled" behavior.

I'm not saying that was entirely "better" than our culture today; I had a lot of hang-ups about food; I used to buy prohibited food with my own money, hide from my parents to eat it, and get rid of the wrappers away from the house; I'd get punished if I was caught. I was very thin, hungry all the time, and paranoid!

I'm more lax with my son and he only eats when he is hungry. He does like some candy and junk food, but it's a once-a-week or once-a-month treat. He's just as happy when our "treat" is artichokes and garlic butter!
I grew up kind of the same way. Soda was a treat to be had once a week with popcorn, and potato chips were not a daily thing. Me and my siblings would have been in big trouble had we helped ourselves to whatever we wanted in the fridge or pantry!

I also used to sneak buying candy or other snacks with my allowance, and hide it from my mom. It's been over 40 years and I can still remember the feelings of guilt and shame whenever I got caught. It's no wonder I gained weight once I was free to eat whatever I wanted.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:53 PM   #54
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LightlyStarched
I think "snacking" on the whole is a bad habit and I try to discourage it as much as possible. I feed the kids three hearty healthy meals a day, and provide them one treat-type snack per day. They are 12 and 9. They very rarely are hungry between meals and I have a limited number of things they may have if they are. I keep a few Brown Cow yogurts and some cheese. There is also a bowl of tangrines. If there are leftovers from dinner or lunch, I put them in the fridge and they may eat those.

Today's lunch was curried chicken salad. There is about a cereal bowl's worth left over. If no one eats it in the next day or two it will become food for the dog or the chickens.
LightlyStarched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 04:41 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lavsreal
Stats: 276
Start Date: Restart Mar 2013
I keep Atkins bars in my purse and protein drinks in my car and try to buy extra of refrigerated items (eggs, cheese sticks etc for my fridge bandits.
lavsreal is offline   Reply With Quote