Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Main Lowcarb Lobby (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/)
-   -   I blew it! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/main-lowcarb-lobby/797732-i-blew.html)

dianda 02-23-2013 07:23 AM

I blew it!

I totally happily deliciously blew it! It was a friend's birthday party and I just couldn't say no to the deliciousness before my carv-starved hands :dunno: I enjoyed every bite of it and had a blast, and I refuse to be negative about it. Life happens, right? :) As far as calories go I should be ok...

So, what do I do now? I was thinking about a 24h fast to deplenish most of the sugar in my system and return sooner in ketosis... Or should I go for a meat & eggs fast for some days? My aim is to return in ketosis as soon as possible.

Thank you for your time :)

giJ 02-23-2013 07:26 AM

We all are a bit different in what will get us to ketosis quickly - and what we can do without being miserable.

The fastest I ever got into it was one day, and that was eating VLC and walking about 7 miles in a day. I'll warn you, though, I was up every 2 hours all night to use the restroom thanks to the water loss. LOL

Z 02-23-2013 07:36 AM

If you want to get back to ketosis, the first step is to eat lots of fat and protein. Your egg and meat fast would be just the thing.

But there's two parts to this. first is not to eat carbs. Fat and protein fast accomplishes this nicely. The second part is to burn off the remaining glycogen in your system - and nothing burns glycogen like exercise. Do some cardio (walking, biking, running, swimming, etc), and if possible do some lifting as well - targeting large muscle groups that burn lots of energy fast, like the arms, core, or upper legs.

This last weekend I had was out of town for a special occasion, and ended up having a few shots of very sugary alcohol, and lots of milk sugars throughout the trip... I was back into ketosis in 2 days thanks to my daily workout. Nothing special about my metabolism, either - it used to take me a solid week to get back to ketosis, before I started working out. And my workout is nothing extreme, a mile on the stationary, and 3 sets of 6 (@maximum weight for these reps) on three different lifts.

However you do it, the trick is to get rid of glycogen faster than it comes in - and even protein will eventually replenish your glycogen.

I hope this helps.

dianda 02-23-2013 09:16 AM

Thank you both! Unfortunately I can't actually rely on exercise because it's snowing here and I don't go to the gym (it's ridiculously expensive here - 100/$ 130 per month - and frankly, I'm too lazy ) so that limits dramatically my options.

I'll have to act on my diet I guess... if I understand correctly, the road should be a fat + protein fast with emphasis on the fat part. I think I'll throw in there a stretch of water fasting to speed things along.

pentimenti 02-23-2013 09:50 AM

When I can't go to the gym (well, I have a treadmill if I really want to exercise), I put on calypso music and make a fool of myself.

mountaingirl 02-23-2013 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dianda (Post 16276052)
Thank you both! Unfortunately I can't actually rely on exercise because it's snowing here and I don't go to the gym (it's ridiculously expensive here - 100/$ 130 per month - and frankly, I'm too lazy ) so that limits dramatically my options.

I'll have to act on my diet I guess... if I understand correctly, the road should be a fat + protein fast with emphasis on the fat part. I think I'll throw in there a stretch of water fasting to speed things along.

Hi dianda, if you cannot go to a gym, you could just move around your place... dancing,jogging, or shadow boxing in place. I purchased some free weights for lifting, but there are lots of exercises you can do at home just using your body weight (squats, calf raises, modified pushups against a wall, etc). Just to speed things up a bit :)

dianda 02-23-2013 09:56 AM

Yes to dancing! :clap:

Leo41 02-23-2013 12:32 PM

I would suggest that you just return to your plan and not try to overcompensate for your dietary indiscretion.

Efforts to somehow 'make up' for overindulgences tend to backfire. They can start a cycle of overeating/excessive restriction that isn't healthy or helpful in the long term.

Consider what's done in the past and move on with on-plan eating.

creseis 02-23-2013 12:35 PM

I would say drink lots of water, go back to eating very low carb/high fat, and in 2 or 3 days you will be back to where you were. And don't stress about it or do anything drastic, I personally worry that if I do a starvation diet after a carb binge, I will end up craving more carbs and bad things and spiral down the evil path! So for me, I just forget about the "bad" day and go back to phase 1!

LiterateGriffin 02-23-2013 05:01 PM

Don't cut calories: Cut carbs and up fats.

An increase in exercise will speed up the depletion of glycogen. Then again, if you DON'T increase your exercise, your glycogen will be depleted in a few days anyway.

We live in the real world. Sometimes cake happens. Don't let it throw you, and you'll be fine.

mizzcase 02-23-2013 05:07 PM

Fat Fast Getting into Nutritional Ketosis

Not sure if I posted that link correctly, but I found this thread is full of good ideas for fat fast meals if you need some guidance.

Hope this helps.