LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitcub
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/19/09...this time
The wall - 3 weeks in?

Hello all!

I lost very successfully quite a number of years ago on by following Atkins to the letter. However, this isn't about me. My father-in-law was recently diagnosed as borderline diabetic and was instructed by his doctor to go on a low-carb diet ASAP (yay for those proactive docs!). As my MIL needs to lose some weight, they are doing this together. It was decided they would go more maintenance level low carb as my FIL does not have much weight to lose. I met with my MIL and gave her all the tips and pointers I could. I passed to her my well-worn Atkins New Diet Revolution book and a pile of cookbooks and away they went.

It has been pretty good for the first 3 weeks. My FIL has lost weight (isn't that the way with men?), has way more energy and majorly decreased diabetic leg pain. My MIL has a lost a little and is enjoying the food, decreased appetite and new recipes.

Suddenly, yesterday, my FIL called his wife and threw a total and complete fit. Said he's hungry all the time, sick of eating weird food and doesn't think he can do this anymore.

I love this way of life and never experienced this problem so I'm rather confounded. Anyone out there have any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: picklepete
Sugar and wheat products really get their claws into our appetite. If they're keeping a few of them around it just makes everything more difficult. If they want to do moderate carb, the tubers/fruit/rice seem to be a lot safer.

The choices for LC food are so broad I'm not sure what's "weird". It took me a little while to find my new favorites, but they're so much tastier than factory powders and liquids.
picklepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
I wonder if they might be trying to do low carb and low fat, because they have heard so many times that fat is bad for us? "Hungry all the time" is the phrase that suggests that to me, and as you know, low carb and low fat doesn't work well together.

Another possibility is that they are relying on pre-prepared low carb foods (such as bars and shakes) rather than real whole foods. (The "weird foods" reference suggested that to me.) Lots of familiar foods that your FIL surely enjoyed before, like omelets, steaks, vegetables with a pat of butter, salads with full fat dressing, bacon and sausage, etc. are low carb and not "weird." Maybe talk to your MIL about what she's been cooking and suggest cooking some of FIL's favorite foods, but just leaving out the starchy/carby sides (eggs and bacon but no toast, steak and veggies but no potatoes, etc.) Good luck.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:19 AM   #4
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: LiterateGriffin
Stats: 236.5 start (Jan 2012) /199.7/150 goal 5'9", 42 yr
WOE: Atkins (though I think a fairly early version)
Start Date: Jan 6 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
I wonder if they might be trying to do low carb and low fat, because they have heard so many times that fat is bad for us? "Hungry all the time" is the phrase that suggests that to me, and as you know, low carb and low fat doesn't work well together.

Another possibility is that they are relying on pre-prepared low carb foods (such as bars and shakes) rather than real whole foods. (The "weird foods" reference suggested that to me.) Lots of familiar foods that your FIL surely enjoyed before, like omelets, steaks, vegetables with a pat of butter, salads with full fat dressing, bacon and sausage, etc. are low carb and not "weird." Maybe talk to your MIL about what she's been cooking and suggest cooking some of FIL's favorite foods, but just leaving out the starchy/carby sides (eggs and bacon but no toast, steak and veggies but no potatoes, etc.) Good luck.
Those are exactly the things that struck me.

"Hungry" = low (or at least not enough) fat.

"Weird foods" -- well why would you eat those? I can serve an LC meal without anyone who doesn't know even NOTICING. (Your favorite roast, some steamed veggies with alfredo sauce, and a side of mashed cauliflower to catch those yummy drippings... People usually ask what I did to the "potatoes" to make them so good, but aside from that it's just "Pass the butter. Didn't you say you were on a diet?")

I'd definitely go over some "menu-planning" with your MIL. If possible, get her HERE. I did pretty good on LC the first time around on my own, but the wealth of ideas and menu-suggestions I got here can't be beat!
10/31/2012: 38.6% 11/02/2012: 36.5%
11/03/2012: 39.1% 11/04/2012: 39.3%
11/05/2012: 39.3% 11/07/2012: 38.5%
11/10/2012: 38.9%
LiterateGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcub View Post
Hello all!

I lost very successfully quite a number of years ago on by following Atkins to the letter. However, this isn't about me. My father-in-law was recently diagnosed as borderline diabetic and was instructed by his doctor to go on a low-carb diet ASAP (yay for those proactive docs!). As my MIL needs to lose some weight, they are doing this together. It was decided they would go more maintenance level low carb as my FIL does not have much weight to lose. I met with my MIL and gave her all the tips and pointers I could. I passed to her my well-worn Atkins New Diet Revolution book and a pile of cookbooks and away they went.

It has been pretty good for the first 3 weeks. My FIL has lost weight (isn't that the way with men?), has way more energy and majorly decreased diabetic leg pain. My MIL has a lost a little and is enjoying the food, decreased appetite and new recipes.

Suddenly, yesterday, my FIL called his wife and threw a total and complete fit. Said he's hungry all the time, sick of eating weird food and doesn't think he can do this anymore.

I love this way of life and never experienced this problem so I'm rather confounded. Anyone out there have any ideas?
What exactly does this mean? If they are including wheat and such, that will drive the hunger and cravings.

I think a lot of people with broken metabolisms (i.e. pre diabetic) need to take their carbs pretty low to suppress appetite and not suffer from blood sugar problems.
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
I agree that 'maintenance level' may be the problem if they're eating any wheat products or even higher rung foods.

The key to induction is that it lessens appetite, and I would imagine that your FIL would not object to a good steak or roast beef, along with a small serving of green vegetables? Some eggs and bacon for breakfast or a nice omelet?

That 'weird food' comment is another red flag for me because none of my own food is different than what anyone would eat on the SAD. It's what I don't eat that makes it low carb.

You really need to check on what they're eating because many people get confused about what 'low carb' actually entails.
Leo41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:07 AM   #7

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
hard to say whether cutting carbs further would get him to the point that vegetables taste great and he doesn't so much miss the other stuff... what carb level has he actually been eating, do you think?
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:03 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Punkin
Stats: 160/95/100
WOE: NK or LC
Quote:
Hello all!
Anyone out there have any ideas?
It might depend on what he was eating before. For serious carb addicts, going into induction or even any form of low carb can be quite a shock to the system. 3 weeks would not be enough time to break carb addiction, at least not the psychological component. A lot of those foods represent feelings of comfort, when you bite into something sweet, sugary and/or starchy. I have pretty much lost interest in high carb foods but I noticed I am only turned off when I actually taste them, the smell of bread toasting in the toaster, still triggers my cravings.

Is there a solution? It is just like any addiction, the person has to be really strongly motivated to quit on their own, not under the influence of others. Sounds like he has to develop a love of high fat foods. Maybe if your MIL started cooking rich foods with lots of full fat flavour, that are low carb, that might do it. I love a LC veggie drenched in a high fat sauce with fresh herbs, if I didn't have to be so careful of the amount of carbs coming from ANY veggie, I would eat that way all day long!
Punkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: kitcub
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 01/19/09...this time
Thank you all for the responses. I'll try to respond as best I can:

1. My first response was that they were going too low fat. It was the first thing I asked. My MIL assured me she is using plenty of butter, olive oil, sour cream, mayo, bacon, etc. I stressed this to her on the onset also as the fat makes you feel satiated and full.

2. No low carb products used. The only weird thing she's used really is a bit of xanthum gum for thickening. In fact, my FIL has mentioned low carb bread, bars, etc. and I have discouraged them from using them. I believe it's better to just eliminate bread, rice, pasta etc. from your vocabulary than try to substitute for them. (besides, I always found the products to be a$$-flavored but that's just me). I suspect the 'weird foods' he's talking about is new recipes he's not used to and a greater variety in veggies. My MIL is trying very hard to keep the menu less than boring.

3. By maintenance level, I mean the addition of nuts and seeds, berries, melon, cottage cheese, the very occasional small amount of legumes, sweet potato and whole oats.

I suspected before I even asked the question that they need to back up and do a full induction and follow the carb ladder to a tee. I think I was hoping that wouldn't be the solution. Because he feels restricted and picked on now with more options, he's gonna really hate me when I tell him he's gonna have to go through induction.
kitcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Quote:
Thank you all for the responses. I'll try to respond as best I can:

1. My first response was that they were going too low fat. It was the first thing I asked. My MIL assured me she is using plenty of butter, olive oil, sour cream, mayo, bacon, etc. I stressed this to her on the onset also as the fat makes you feel satiated and full.

2. No low carb products used. The only weird thing she's used really is a bit of xanthum gum for thickening. In fact, my FIL has mentioned low carb bread, bars, etc. and I have discouraged them from using them. I believe it's better to just eliminate bread, rice, pasta etc. from your vocabulary than try to substitute for them. (besides, I always found the products to be a$$-flavored but that's just me). I suspect the 'weird foods' he's talking about is new recipes he's not used to and a greater variety in veggies. My MIL is trying very hard to keep the menu less than boring.

3. By maintenance level, I mean the addition of nuts and seeds, berries, melon, cottage cheese, the very occasional small amount of legumes, sweet potato and whole oats.

I suspected before I even asked the question that they need to back up and do a full induction and follow the carb ladder to a tee. I think I was hoping that wouldn't be the solution. Because he feels restricted and picked on now with more options, he's gonna really hate me when I tell him he's gonna have to go through induction.
Many people can not, ever, eat some of the higher rung ones like legumes, sweet potato and oats - ever. I was in maintenance for a couple of years and those foods were never part of it.

Last edited by clackley; 02-23-2013 at 11:32 AM..
clackley is offline   Reply With Quote