Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Main Lowcarb Lobby
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Fanci33
Induction help!!

Hey guys!!! I'm new to this and have a lot of weight to lose!! I want to stay on the induction period till I lose this weight! Only down fall... SWEETS!! I can't go without! I've been doing great, but it's just getting to that point.. Any ideas for induction friendly deserts? Ps chocolate is my fav! Really Hits the spot!!

Thanks so much everyone!
Sarah <3
Fanci33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #2
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Avy
Stats: Start 232+/Current 178.6/First Goal 150/Final 140?
WOE: Low carb lifestyle
Start Date: June 1, 2012
Fat bombs might help... Coconut oil, butter, cocoa powder, stevia... if you're ok with nuts, you can use a nut butter as well. I use equal parts fats and cocoa and sweetener to taste.

I've stayed mostly induction levels for carbs but I eat outside the box, using nuts and seeds and more dairy than recommended for induction. I also eat a few more carbs some days, but still keep to a LC lifestyle. You really need to find what works for you, and something you can live with long term as a lifestyle. If you start to stray for any reason because induction isn't meeting your needs, find something that works for you, don't give up!

Good luck!!

Officially down 50 lbs! Another 30 or so to my first goal, then I'll re-evaluate.

Couldn't do it without all the amazing support and motivation from this forum and all the wonderful people here.
Avy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
I really really wouldn't for a while. I would stay away from sweets for at least 4-6 weeks, if not longer, especially if you're going to be staying on Induction for a long while.

If you decide otherwise, though, there are some recipes in the recipe forum, and some people do okay with a small amount of sugar-free candies or sugar-free chocolates. Lots of people find that they stall their weight loss, though, so beware.

Remember, though, it's important to move through all the phases of Atkins, so that you have some tools for maintaining once you get to goal weight. I'm not saying you have to move forward right away: I'm staying in Induction for at least several months myself, but once I get to probably 40 pounds from goal, I'll start moving ahead, so that I have an understanding of how to STAY at goal.

Welcome to the group!
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
Avy
Senior LCF Member

Also this is freaking fantastic and can be modified with different flavours, sweeteners etc. I use it for waffles, cakes, breads, etc, and has satisfied many a need for a sweet treat or cake. Sometimes you just need to have chocolate cake for dinner!

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...flour-mix.html
Old 02-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #5
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: svenskamae
Stats: 235/178/135 5'3"
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis/Primal/JUDDD
Start Date: January 15, 2012
Consider reading Julia Ross's book "The Diet Cure," which can guide you to supplements that help with intense cravings. L-Trypophin (sp?) is one that seems to help many with sugar cravings.
svenskamae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:47 AM   #6
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Mimosa23
Stats: 227.2/185.5/160
WOE: Keto
I agree with Ntombi, stay away from sweets for a while, even the LC allowed ones. It will really help you get rid of the addiction that you have for sugar and carbs.

If you really want some, I would take 1 TB of mascarpone cheese, a couple of drops of liquid stevia and a sprinkling of cocoa powder. This way you have a small bit of something sweet, but it's still ok for induction. HOWEVER: this is not an everyday thing, and I recommend eating sweet stuff only occasionally.
Mimosa23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:48 AM   #7
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: ItsToni
Stats: 5'9" - started@223/199/160
WOE: Atkins (over & over)
Start Date: October 21, 2005
I agree with others on just staying away...mentally ask yourself, "Is this chocolate worth more than me?"...the answer is always no. It'll always be there. I have noticed that even if I eat sugar free chocolate, it makes me crave more. Plus, if you can just stick it out, day by day, that craving will go away. Promise.

Although...for those days where I HAVE to have something...the days where your mind won't let it go and it's all you can think about, I get a bar of VERY dark chocolate. One with a very high percentage of cocoa...and I'll allow myself one square to let melt on my tongue. That will usually do the trick. lol

The things we do. haha
Old 02-22-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: princessmommy
Stats: 207/184/145
WOE: Low Carb!
Start Date: May 21 Yet Again!
Totally 100% agree in Staying Away from sweets Period! At least for 4 weeks or more! You need to break that sweet fix! When you want something sweet Grab something sour instead, like a dill pickle. It helps me a Lot when I want something sweet.
princessmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:53 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: muncheechee
Stats: 261/235/145 (5'6")
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: 8/14/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenskamae View Post
Consider reading Julia Ross's book "The Diet Cure," which can guide you to supplements that help with intense cravings. L-Trypophin (sp?) is one that seems to help many with sugar cravings.
^^^This! That book has helped me beyond belief
muncheechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
If you REALLY must, 1/4 cup of ricotta with 1 TBLS of SF flavored syrup (Torani's or Da Vinci's) = 3 carbs. It comes in chocolate flavor.
trishthedish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:15 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: bbmedic413
If you have to satiate your body's demand for chocolate, go with Lindt 85% or 90%. Available in your local grocery store. Its a tad bitter, but a serving of 4 squares (which is about twice as much as I normally need) fills that special craving, and only weights in at about 9g net carbs. I've heard you can melt it down and mix in some Stevia to sweeten it up if need be. Enjoy!
bbmedic413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Not to rain on any parades, but for all those that are saying "stay away" umm...isn't that what got us to low carb in the first place, deprivation? If you say "no" "can't" "don't" etc. all the time doesn't that just awaken the feelings of deprivation and sacrifice that made us fail on low cal/low fat diets? I mean, if we could do that (stay away from sweets for weeks at a time) we wouldn't have weight problems or need a different WOE.

This is just my opinion, but when I don't have any sweets I still have the desire. If I abstain, the only difference I feel is a deprived feeling and I'm cranky. So IMHO I say go ahead and have some coconut oil chocolate, cream cheese/peanut butter fudge, egg/cream shakes, almond flour muffins and so forth if it makes you happy and keeps you on plan. I'm not saying eat a ton of them, but I know my body and I've got to have some sweets. Better to be low carb/sugar free than the "regular" stuff, right? To each his own, but that's just my experience.

PS- I read Julia Ross's book from cover to cover, then dropped 60 bucks at the Vitamin Shoppe on her supplements and it did nothing. I think the DLPA and Tyrosine might have made me jittery once, but that's about it.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
Not to rain on any parades, but for all those that are saying "stay away" umm...isn't that what got us to low carb in the first place, deprivation? If you say "no" "can't" "don't" etc. all the time doesn't that just awaken the feelings of deprivation and sacrifice that made us fail on low cal/low fat diets? I mean, if we could do that (stay away from sweets for weeks at a time) we wouldn't have weight problems or need a different WOE.

This is just my opinion, but when I don't have any sweets I still have the desire. If I abstain, the only difference I feel is a deprived feeling and I'm cranky. So IMHO I say go ahead and have some coconut oil chocolate, cream cheese/peanut butter fudge, egg/cream shakes, almond flour muffins and so forth if it makes you happy and keeps you on plan. I'm not saying eat a ton of them, but I know my body and I've got to have some sweets. Better to be low carb/sugar free than the "regular" stuff, right? To each his own, but that's just my experience.
I think you're extrapolating from your own experience, somewhat unjustly.

No, I'm not a person who overdid it on sweets. In my most unhealthy eating patterns, I would still more often turn down desserts, candy, sweets, than accept them. I like some quite a bit, but I didn't ever HAVE to have them. I had other bad habits. French fries, for one.

That said, this isn't about me, or you, in particular, it's about all of us learning to eat in a healthier way. Staying away from very sweet tasting foods is a good idea when starting a ketogenic diet for several reasons. First of all, relearning how to make healthy decisions is key to keeping weight off. Secondly, simply substituting one sweet for another doesn't help someone get out of the habit of HAVING to have those sweets in the first place. Thirdly, some people have bad reactions to certain sweets (triggering binges, raising blood sugar, setting off cravings, and more), and they might never realize it until they have been away from them for some weeks.

And no one is saying it's easy to stay away from something she HAS to have. We're telling her that it would be better for her in the long run, but she has to make the final choice. What is everyone here for, if not to help, advise, share insights?
Old 02-22-2013, 09:39 PM   #14
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
That said, this isn't about me, or you, in particular, it's about all of us learning to eat in a healthier way. Staying away from very sweet tasting foods is a good idea when starting a ketogenic diet for several reasons. First of all, relearning how to make healthy decisions is key to keeping weight off. Secondly, simply substituting one sweet for another doesn't help someone get out of the habit of HAVING to have those sweets in the first place. Thirdly, some people have bad reactions to certain sweets (triggering binges, raising blood sugar, setting off cravings, and more), and they might never realize it until they have been away from them for some weeks.
As always, I think Ntombi makes very good points. We're all different and, ultimately, we have to know ourselves and figure out what works best in our lives.

Sweets (except ice cream) were never my *thing* so I didn't think I had anything to offer on this topic. BUT the things that I have previously enjoyed -- pizza, Taco Bell, Puerto Rican rice and peas, pasteles (a type of pastry similar to tamales) -- I've had no problem resisting these things since I started Atkins last May because I believe they were slowly killing me. I could order pizza the way I used to and then pull the toppings off and eat them -- but I want no part of pizza because I couldn't walk a block without back pain while I was eating that stuff. I just feel like it was toxic to me. In my mind, if something is poisonous, I don't care what it tastes like. There is no flavor that is so rewarding, to me, that it's worth the back aches and the shortness of breath and the long-term health complications that I'm sure I was facing. Not eating a taco doesn't *feel* to me like deprivation the way that being unable to run half a block to catch a bus felt like deprivation.

Everyone is different, though. I'm not doing this diet because I want to look cute in a miniskirt -- I think I looked cute in a miniskirt when I weighed 235 pounds! Personally, I had to stand up for myself and say that food won't control me and that I won't let food hurt me. Sort of like having a gorgeous, billionaire boyfriend that beats the crap out of you on a regular basis -- his attractive qualities are NOT sufficient to make up for the abuse.

That's just my $0.02! I think there's probably a reasonable low-carb substitution for any food that anyone could think of. And I'm sure people lose pounds and live happy lives eating the substitutions. But for me -- because my weight and health problems were all about my *relationship* with food -- I need to move certain foods into the "THIS WILL EVENTUALLY KILL ME" category and no longer find them attractive in any form. Substitutions, for me, would be sort of like a girl trying to *fix* a bad boyfriend -- sometimes it works, but sometimes it ends in tears. And everybody involved saw the tears coming from a mile away because you've had ongoing problems with that dude in the past.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #15
Chatty Cathy

Gallery: clackley
Stats: 228.5/168/125
WOE: N.K.=vlc/hf/moderate protein & organic/pastured
Start Date: Restart Oct 18 2009
Sarah!! It has to be a way of life so if you need to have a 'sweet' a this point in your journey, then by all means, do so. Dr. Atkins recommends sugar free jello or a bit of whipped cream sweetened with artificial sweetener. There are a ton of recipes for sweets - just be sure to portion correctly - keeping your macros in line.
clackley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #16
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
I really really wouldn't for a while. I would stay away from sweets for at least 4-6 weeks, if not longer, especially if you're going to be staying on Induction for a long while.
I agree.

It's amazing how quickly you get over sugar cravings when you stop eating sweet things (with real sugar or artificial). A lot of things that you think that you can't live without become no longer appealing if you just don't eat them for a while.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #17
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: nolcjunk
Stats: Whole foods lc, 110, 5'6
WOE: Atkins - it's a diet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillex View Post
Personally, I had to stand up for myself and say that food won't control me and that I won't let food hurt me. Sort of like having a gorgeous, billionaire boyfriend that beats the crap out of you on a regular basis -- his attractive qualities are NOT sufficient to make up for the abuse.

I agree. I remove any food from my diet that I feel like I have to have and that I get cravings for. I was very into cheese at the beginning of Atkins, so I stopped eating it after a while because I didn't like how I felt compelled to eat it. And, now, I can have a small amount of cheese with no problem, with no desire to keep eating it just because it is there.
nolcjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:33 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: jmc305
Stats: 323/220/205
WOE: Atkins mostly
Start Date: September 2011
Quote:
I think you're extrapolating from your own experience, somewhat unjustly.

No, I'm not a person who overdid it on sweets. In my most unhealthy eating patterns, I would still more often turn down desserts, candy, sweets, than accept them. I like some quite a bit, but I didn't ever HAVE to have them. I had other bad habits. French fries, for one.

And no one is saying it's easy to stay away from something she HAS to have. We're telling her that it would be better for her in the long run, but she has to make the final choice. What is everyone here for, if not to help, advise, share insights?
Alcoholics should just drink water instead of vodka--Problem solved. I think to tell somebody with a sweet tooth to just "lay off" is overly simplistic and I don't see the harm in eating some low carb treats. To each his own.
jmc305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:30 PM   #19
Blabbermouth!!!

Wow, way to take my comments out of context and put the least helpful spin on them. Good job.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #20
Senior LCF member

Gallery: Leo41
Stats: 340 then/145 now
WOE: Low carb/calorie cycling
All we can share is our own experience, and mine is that my world-class sweet tooth is stimulated by anything with a sweet taste--low carb or not. That sweet taste inevitably leads to overeating.

And when I abstain totally, I don't crave sweet things--and I don't feel the least deprived because I know that sweeteners are not healthy for me, and my goal is not only effective weight management but eating for health as well.

As others have posted, those of us with 'food issues' are wise to avoid any food that we feel we 'need' because those tend to be triggers for us and can easily sabotage our efforts.
Leo41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #21
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Trillex
Stats: 235/135/135
Start Date: 11 May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc305 View Post
Alcoholics should just drink water instead of vodka--Problem solved. I think to tell somebody with a sweet tooth to just "lay off" is overly simplistic and I don't see the harm in eating some low carb treats. To each his own.
I don't want to be argumentative. And I don't believe everyone has to give up sweets -- we're all individuals and we all have different *trigger* foods that lead to trouble. I have a problematic relationship with food -- but I understand that not everyone who has a weight problem has my type of troubled relationship with food. It seems to me that it's up to each individual to find out what their specific food relationships -- or even dependencies -- mean for their long-term outlook.

I don't know the original poster and I don't know what affect, if any, the poster's stated "need" for sweets will have on the long-term outlook of that person's diet and health. The phrasing, "Only down fall... SWEETS!! I can't go without!" make me believe, in my humble opinion, that this is a relationship with food that might be a sensitive area of concern and that might benefit from closer evaluation to determine whether or not this is a danger zone.

Also, we DO tell alcoholics to not drink alcohol. I'm not an expert on substance abuse but all of the information that I'm aware of counsels alcoholics and other substance abusers to completely abstain from their addictive substances. One of my close childhood friends is a recovering alcoholic and narcotics abuser, and I have been with her through some difficult times. She can't have a drink. Ever. That stuff absolutely can't be part of her life. Or her life will end too soon.

People wean from cigarettes and, for medical reasons, wean from opiates. But alcoholics have to stop drinking alcohol. I don't think anyone actually believes quitting an addictive substance, like alcohol, is *easy* but it is *necessary* for alcoholics to not drink alcohol. Ever. Mood altering substances are a concern for them when they have to take pain medication or are facing surgery. There are people who won't even take aspirin or NSAIDs because the *behavior* could potentially trigger problems.
Trillex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:08 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: trishthedish
Stats: 26/22/14
WOE: LC
Start Date: One day at a time
Although I think it is always best to try and keep away from anything sweet tasting during Induction, some of people (like me) can trigger a binge and restrict cycle whenever the black & white thinking starts in our head in relation to food.

Saying I CANNOT eat anything sweet will send me spinning. Knowing I have a healthy sweet alternative to my former high carb choices keeps my binge monster dormant while allowing me to successfully become healthier... mind, body, and spirit.

As others have said, (but it's worth repeating), we all have to figure out what works for us as individuals. A sweet LC snack option works for me and I am happy with my rate of weight loss doing it my way.
Old 02-23-2013, 04:37 PM   #23
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
Fanci33 - are sweets a problem because you're craving them, or are you not craving them yet, but you're certain you will at some point?

People keep telling me that they could never do low carb because they love sweets (or bread, or pasta). The funny thing is, I loved them too, and used to have really powerful cravings for them - but those cravings stopped completely when I started LCHF.

Gary Taubes writes about this - basically, if you're insulin resistant, eating carbs will raise insulin, and the insulin tells your fat cells to store those carbs as fat. But that means your other body tissues aren't getting the energy they need. So your body signals to you that you need to eat RIGHT NOW, and you get hungry for something that will give you quick energy - like carbs! But, since you're insulin resistant, those carbs just start the whole cycle over.

I'd always assumed that my carb cravings were due to some sort of emotional issue that I couldn't figure out. To my shock, they seem to have been caused by insulin all along. I guess my emotions are fine

That obviously isn't going to be true for everyone, and I'm grateful every day that it's true for me.

If you are looking for something sweet, here are some suggestions:

1. The Duke University no sugar/no starch program (which Gary Taubes recommends) allows a few diet sodas per day. You can also use an artificial sweetener in your coffee or tea.

2. Although Induction doesn't allow fruit, when you start Ongoing Weight Loss, you quickly get to low-carb fruits like berries, cherries, and melon - it's the next step after seeds and nuts (and you get seeds and nuts during Induction eventually). A small serving of fruit might satisfy your sweet tooth while still keeping your total carbs low.

3. Low Carb Friends has several threads about Fat Bombs. Many of the recipes are induction-friendly.

If you use artificial sweeteners, you might want to keep a food diary - some people have reported stalls when they use them; others are fine.

Good luck!
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #24
Avy
Senior LCF Member

To the OP, I think the most important thing you can do, is whatever keeps you motivated and on plan, making this a true life style change. For some people giving up everything works, for some it causes them to binge and go off plan and sabotage their progress. In the end, this is about YOU and no one else. Find what works, you have your entire life to lose weight. You need to feel healthy and good about yourself and the things that you eat. Being happy with your choices is most important, the progress and success will come naturally.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #25
Senior LCF Member

Stats: 224/186/???
WOE: Nutritional Ketosis
Start Date: November 2012
The Atkins Website has a searchable recipe database - you can specify "Phase 1" to get Induction-friendly recipes, and choose "Dessert" from Type Of Dish.
biancasteeplechase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:35 AM   #26
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Darkginger
Stats: 197/147/147
Start Date: August 2004 (properly)
My 2 cents - before low carbing, I didn't really have a sweet tooth, but once I started, I found myself dreaming of sweet stuff, simply because I knew I couldn't have it. Rather than giving in to those cravings, I went the other way, and cut ALL sweet things (inc diet soda and sweeteners) out of my diet. It took a week for the cravings to go, and they've never come back. Now, if I accidentally (early morning mindfog!) add a sweetener to my black coffee, it tastes awful.

I believe in going cold turkey on these things - I may have had a difficult week when I first stopped using sweeteners, but the subsequent months have been much easier than they otherwise would have. I liken it to stopping smoking, but allowing yourself 2 cigarettes a day - that is torture, and prolongs the agony. Better to just quit totally, easier in the long run.
WC Fields
Darkginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:03 AM   #27
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: haferchamp
Start Date: 12/15/12
I too have to go cold turkey. I know I have an addictive/compulsive personality and can't have just one. Alcohol, cigarettes, sugar, shopping, etc. The cravings for sugar have disappeared since starting low carb eating back in December. What I do miss are nachos and I bought pork rinds yesterday and will try them with melted cheese today. Hope that satisfies that craving!
haferchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #28
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: lterry913
Stats: 5' 11" 238/174/170
Start Date: 12/1/2010
Hmm I wonder what Franci decided to do? So much good advice...maybe she will let us know which route she took.
lterry913 is offline   Reply With Quote